Author's Note: Okay, so this story is a little out of context. Please inform me of any story plot holes or otherwise confusing points. What happened was I had this idea in the midst of planning another story out, and I over-developed it in my brain before belatedly realizing it won't fit in that particular lengthy story line. huh But of course, now I can't let it go, so I figured it's better to get it out of my head and onto paper so I'm happy and can get back to my *actual* plot line. The question mark in the header means I may come back and expand this if I feel so inclined, but at this moment, I'm content where it is.

So. Here's some loose context. It's 2009. Lois and Clark have been married for approximately 13 years. They have three children, and are currently going through a rough patch in their marriage. Clark and Lois are not really on good speaking terms at this moment... and I won't say why. Clark throws himself into being Superman, and Lois has trouble contacting him. Enter this scene.

Oh, and a WHAM warning for you sensitive FoLCs out there...

Disclaimer: I don't own anything. Just having a bit of fun with these characters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. Kent Is Dead
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lois tried to hold herself together as she had barreled down the road. She tried to hold herself together as she made an illegal u-turn on to the appropriate side of the street. She tried to hold herself together as she stole a parking spot from an old lady and her grandchildren. She tried to hold herself together as she made her way around the throngs of people and press agents at the press conference about to begin in a few minutes.

When she saw him standing there, so stern faced, speaking with some supposedly important people, she couldn’t keep some tears from escaping.

She walked up to him, not sure how she was able to do so instead of collapsing from the emotional weight of it all. “Superman,” she called out to him.

He turned to look at her, frowning slightly in concern at her strangled appearance and tear-stained features. He excused himself from his current conversation and made his way over to her. “Lois? Is everything alright?”

Lois chewed on her bottom lip and brushed a tear away from her eye forcefully. “No. No, it’s not. I-I need your help, Superman. Please.”

“What is it?” Concern filled his features and for a brief moment Lois felt hope spring within her. Hope that he might hear her out, that things might be like they used to be again.

“I need you to find my husband for me.” Instantly almost, Superman’s expression changed and hardened. Lois babbled, trying to get as many words in there as possible before he shut her out completely. “He... he’s not answering his cell phone- I think he must have left it somewhere- and he hasn’t been home in a while and no one can get in contact with–”

Superman shook his head and glanced at the impromptu stage where the mayor was standing, preparing to introduce him. “I’m sorry, Ms. Lane. I have to go on in a moment,” he gestured, stepping away from her.

Lois lost her control, and the tears were flowing endlessly now. “Please, Superman. I need my husband back now–”

He gave her an apologetic look. “I’m sorry,” he repeated. “Maybe after this.” Superman headed towards the podium.

Two men appeared practically out of nowhere, ushering Lois to return to the crowds. “No! Wait! Superman! It’s an emergency...”

He approached the stand and began to speak to his audience. “Ladies, gentlemen...”

Lois swore and disentangled herself from the bouncers to stand alone on the outskirts of the audience. “Clark,” she whispered almost silently, hoping he would at least hear her, listen to what she had to say.

“People of the press...”

Lois wiped her face and cupped her hand over her mouth, trying to contain her sobs. “This isn’t about us, right now,” she continued whispering.

“I come before you today...”

She sniffed before plowing forward. “It’s about Clark’s... your father.”

Suddenly Superman stopped talking and all of the blood drained out of his face. He was listening. Murmurs went up in the crowd as his appearance changed so suddenly, and he glanced at Lois, as though signaling her to continue, before briefly glancing down at his notes on the podium. “I come before you because...”

“He... he had a heart attack this morning,” Lois watched, heart breaking, as Superman gripped the sides of the podium, knuckles going white.

“Because,” Superman repeated and swallowed.

Lois felt absolutely terrible right then and there. She didn’t want to tell him- didn’t want to cause him any more heartache- but she knew she had to finish. “He didn’t... didn’t make it.”

Clark closed his eyes and ran a shaky hand down his face. He didn’t move for several long moments. Finally, he looked up and opened his deep brown eyes- his gaze meeting Lois’ own. He was pleading with her, begging her to be lying, asking with his eyes if it was really true. Lois couldn’t hold back any more tears and they gushed forth freely. And with that, he knew. The presence of tears stung at his eyes, and he pinched them shut fiercely. He wished he could hear his father’s reassuring heartbeat once more- even though from this distance, it wouldn’t really be possible- and the lack of it’s sound was only twisting his gut more.

He felt as if he had been stabbed with Kryptonite. Stabbed, shot, and just in general exposed to massive amounts of Kryptonite. In fact, that would feel better than this horrible, gut-wrenching, heartbroken, empty feeling he had now.

Superman opened his eyes and realized he still had an audience. Everyone was staring at him with looks of concern and confusion. He’d revealed too much. He had to pull himself together. “I,” his voice cracked and he looked down once more to try to collect his thoughts. He brought his gaze once more to his wife’s before speaking. “I gotta...”

Instead of finishing his sentence, or even attempting an explanation, Clark vanished from sight, a sonic boom sounding so incredibly close that it shook the surrounding buildingsand the ground the crowd was standing on. After a long pause, everyone shook themselves and puzzled over just what had caused Superman to react that strongly.

Lois remained in place, unable and unwilling to move, even as everyone else began to part and go their own ways. Finally, slowly, she picked her way back over to where her van was parked.

The second Lois got inside, all she could do was cry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain