The end is near.....

Chapter Nine: I Left My Body Lying Somewhere in the Sands of Time

“Clark, you uh, get Lois and come on in to my office.” Perry said, his voice sounding grim.

Clark nodded before he realized that Perry hadn’t actually been standing behind him, but rather was sitting at his desk, and watching Clark intently for a response.

‘I shouldn’t have heard him.’ Clark thought, realizing that Perry had just confirmed whatever suspicions he had about Clark’s identity.

“Sir?” Clark said awkwardly, wondering what Perry might say to them.

“Close the door.” He said as he put the cap back on his pen with an amount of dramatic purpose that no pen actually deserved.

“I supposed Superman hasn’t gotten anywhere in his search?” Perry asked, his eyes shifting from both Lois and Clark.

“No, Chief, he hasn’t.” Lois said, speaking up for Clark who was still slightly stunned.

“You tell him to take a rest. He’s looking pretty haggard and uh, I know he’s got some responsibilities he needs to tend to in his personal life. Well, I uh, I think we better start coming to terms with reality and deal with our grief. No sense prolonging it. I uh, I spoke with Jack Olsen about having a memorial service, and he’s not in the country and won’t be for some time, so he said we could handle it if we’d like. I know Jimmy’s mother would appreciate someone else dealing with it. Alice brought her some baked goods yesterday and, well the poor thing just broke on down.”

Lois and Clark both nodded. They had also been to see Jimmy’s mother and had introduced her to the baby. She didn’t want to see her or them again after that.

“I’d like you two to write something up. Front page. Maybe a three-parter. The Jimmy Olsen Story. I want you to write about his experiences. Be sure to interview Superman. He’s got the first-hand accounts from the people Jimmy stayed with. The whole deal, alright?”

Clark nodded.

“I’ll be sure to talk to Superman.” He said before getting up and opening the door, ushering Lois out in front of himself.

“Clark?” Lois called as she entered the apartment. “Hellooo?” She called again as she walked through the living room and peeked around the corner into the kitchen. “Jaymee-Lynn, Uncle Clarkieee….” She said again as she walked toward the baby’s bedroom.
She stopped short when she saw something move in her room.

“There you ar—“ Lois cut herself off when she saw Clark sleeping with the baby curled up on his chest.

She kicked her shoes off and crawled carefully across the bed before laying down next to Clark and resting her head on his shoulder.

“How’s Jimmy’s mom?” Clark whispered sleepily.

“A wreck.” Lois whispered as she snuggled under Clark’s free arm and let him pull her closer.

“Did she give you the photos to use for the story?” Clark asked.

“Yea, she gave me everything that reminded her of him. The jeep is full of all Jimmy’s old stuff. Trophies, photos, clothes… Did you know Jimmy took all the photos for his high school yearbooks?” Lois asked softly.

Clark smiled and shook his head.

“No, I didn’t.” He replied.

Lois sighed softly.

“He played the tuba too.” She whispered through a yawn.

“You have a picture of him playing the tuba in your car?” Clark asked, laughing slightly.

“No, I have an actual tuba in my car.” Lois replied, smiling as she thought of the hassle the instrument gave her to fit into the car. She ended up buckling it into the front seat and driving home with it beside her.

Perry walked out of his office and into the conference room where Lois and Clark were working together on the Jimmy story.

“How’s it coming?” He asked, looking over their shoulders.

It been several days since they started and things were beginning to come together.

“That’s great!” He said, pointing at a photo of Jimmy as a little boy.

“I’m heading down to the daycare to have lunch with the baby.” Perry said, maintaining his gruff and intimidating tone, but there was always a lighter undertone in his voice when he mentioned Jaymee-Lynn.

He had a definite soft spot for the baby girl.

“Aww, give her a kiss for me.” Lois said, pouting her lip, somewhat jealous that she couldn’t be down there with the baby every waking moment.

“You know, you’ve come a long way, Lois.” Clark said, smiling at her.

“What do you mean?” She asked as she jotted down some notes.

“Well, remember when we first brought her home?” Clark asked, with a grin.

Lois laughed out loud.

“Point taken.” She said, smiling and rolling her eyes.

“Excuse me.”

“Uh, the homeless shelter is two blocks south of here.” Ricardo, a new copy boy, said to the vagrant standing at his desk.

“I’m looking for someone.” He said, both his body and his voice shaking with each word.

“The shower fairy? I’m going to have to ask you to leave sir.” Ricardo said, getting up and trying to usher the unkempt man toward the elevators.

“Where is Clark Kent?! CLARK!! CK!!”

“Sir! Please! You need to calm down! Mr. Kent is working on a story and isn’t to be disturbed.”

“Hey, what’s going on out h—“ Clark asked, coming out of the conference room.

“Oh my god.” Lois whispered, clapping her hand over her mouth.

“Am I glad… to see you guys.” Jimmy said as he took a wavering step toward his friends.

“Jimmy…” Lois choked out around the growing lump in her throat as she ran toward him. “Oh my god.” She said, grabbing his face in her hands, his rough beard crunching against her skin.

Clark stepped toward him carefully, stunned by the sight of his friend.

“We’ve been looking for you.” Lois cried, pulling him into her arms and gripping his body to hers.

Jimmy wrapped his obviously weak arms around Lois and rested his head on her shoulder, letting her cry into his neck.

“Honey, he’s weak. Let’s back up a little. Sit down, Jimmy.” Clark said, easing Lois off of him and helping him sit.

Jimmy looked up at Clark, and despite his drastic weight loss and shaggy appearance, a very ‘Jimmy’ twinkle of an expression smiled up at Clark.

“Did you just call Lois ‘honey’?” He asked, his voice weak and shaky, but still having a hint of the teasing one would commonly hear from Jimmy.

Clark smiled and shook his head.

“I certainly did.” He replied, pulling Lois to his side and swiping her tears from her cheek with his thumb.

“I never thought I’d see the day. Lois Lane finally gives in and falls in love.” Lois rolled her eyes, smiling at him.

“Where the hell have you been!? And why didn’t you tell us you were in trouble?!” Lois asked, scolding him only slightly through a lump in her throat.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t want you guys to worry… or be disappointed. Did Rachel tell you everything?” Jimmy asked.

Lois and Clark exchanged a look.

“Jimmy, why don’t we go in Perry’s office and talk?” Clark suggested.

Jimmy stared at Clark inquisitively, but he allowed Clark to help him up and usher him into Perry’s office anyways.

Clark sat on the edge of Perry’s desk facing Jimmy in the large plaid chair in front of it. He explained about Kem’s letter, and how they believed Jimmy had died.

“Jimmy, the only reason we had some kind of hope that you might still be alive was that we were given Rachel’s things and found a letter you wrote to her from the jail. I’m so sorry, Jimmy, but Rachel, she passed away.” Lois explained.

Jimmy shook his head; he was confused by Clark’s words.

“How? I mean, she was fine. She wasn’t sick or anything. I met her at the airport and she was sad because her brother was going to Iraq. We connected. I thought we’d be friends forever. I just, I don’t get it…” Jimmy said, his voice straining.

Clark nodded and leaned forward, placing a hand on Jimmy’s shoulder.

“She had some complications during childbirth due to some obscure illness she didn’t even know she had. There was nothing anyone could have done to prevent it.” Clark said softly.

Jimmy tilted his head, as if trying to take in everything Clark had just said.

“Childbirth? Rachel had a baby?” Jimmy questioned.

Clark nodded and reached in his pocket. He opened his wallet and flipped to photo of Lois and the baby.

“Jimmy, this is your daughter, Jaymee-Lynn Rachel Olsen.”

Jimmy slowly reached for Clark’s wallet and brought the photo closer. His eyes fell on the large green eyes staring back at him.

“My daughter?” He repeated as if he couldn’t believe it. “And you guys… you know her? You see her a lot?” He asked.

Lois laughed a little.

“Everyday and every night. She actually let us sleep in this morning. She didn’t wake up until 4:45am!” Lois said, smiling at Jimmy as he stared at the photo.

“You guys have her? You… you’ve been raising her?” He asked, the surprise evident in his voice.

Clark nodded and smiled.

“She’s amazing, Jimmy. Perry’s actually downstairs at the daycare with her. One of us goes down every day at lunch, so she has a family member feed her at least once during the day and doesn’t feel like we’ve just abandoned her for eight hours.”

Jimmy nodded.

“That’s great…” He said, still apparently mesmerized by the photo. “Is she a good baby?” He asked, not sure what else to say exactly.

“She’s great. She doesn’t really like when Uncle Clarkie leaves though. Clark says she likes him better, but I think it’s just because he’s better at the jiggle-rock.” Lois said teasingly.

“Do you wanna meet her?” Clark asked softly.

Jimmy nodded and Lois got up.

“I’ll get her and bring her up here.” She said as she quietly left the room.

Perry stood in the doorway as Lois entered his office carrying Jaymee-Lynn.

“Look Jay-Jay, we found Daddy! I told you he’d come back for you.” She whispered as she stepped closer to Jimmy and Clark.

Jimmy cautiously and hesitantly allowed Lois to put the baby into his arms.

“She’s, she’s perfect.” He said, looking down at her inquisitive eyes. “You think uh, you think you guys would mind letting her stay with you until I find a place? I mean if she’s already doing so great there?”

Clark nodded.

“Of course she can. You both can.” He said, patting his friend on the back.

“Son, we sure did miss you around here. You had us worryin’ something fierce.” Perry said from his place in the doorway.

His words were very general, but the emotion behind them told Jimmy just how much Perry cared about him.

Over the next several hours, Jimmy explained his trip and how things turned terribly wrong when he was abducted. He explained that after ending up at the morgue structure, he knew he had to get out of there.

“Excuse me! Please! I need help.” Jimmy said as he approached two men loading boxes into a small plane.

“Get outta here buddy.” One said as he hauled a box into the cargo hold.

“Please… I’m an American journalist. I was taken from my group, and I’m sick. I just need to get home.” He said as he stumbled toward them.

“Hey, hey! That’s far enough, pal.” The man said, pulling a hand gun out.

Jimmy looked to the sky and fell to his knees.

“Please… shoot me!” He yelled, throwing his head back and sobbing heavily. “Just do it! Shoot me!” He shouted again.

The man replaced his gun into his belt and walked over to Jimmy.

“You look like you’ve been through hell. Get up.” He said, reaching for Jimmy’s hand and pulling him to his feet.

Jimmy was shocked as the sudden change.

“Please, I’ll give you everything I have if you’ll just help me get as close to Metropolis as possible.” Jimmy said, pulling his camera from around his neck and offering it to the man.

“We’ve got some stops to make, but we’ll let you out as soon as we get State side, alright?” He said, taking the camera and turning it over in his hand a few times before handing it back to Jimmy.

“Keep your gear, kid. This shipment is going to make me a very rich man.” He said gesturing for Jimmy to climb up the small stairway to the plane. “Just keep this little encounter to yourself, alright?”

Jimmy nodded and thanked the man.

“Help yourself to something to drink.” He shouted as he loaded the last box into the cargo space.

“This is your stop, kid.” The man said, nudging Jimmy and pointing out the window. They’d landed in a field just outside of Metropolis.

“Take some of these.” The man said as he loaded a couple of bottles of water in a small backpack and handed it to Jimmy. “Good luck, kid.”

Jimmy thanked the men and nodded as he got out and headed toward the city lights in the distance.

Jimmy walked up the front steps of the small bungalow he grew up in. He glanced back at Lois and Clark where they stood on the sidewalk, seeking some kind of encouragement before he turned and rang the doorbell. He heard his mother shuffling around on the other side of the door, obviously peeking through the spy hole. The door suddenly flung open and a skinny but clean shaven and showered Jimmy was yanked into his mother’s arms.

After a moment she pulled back and gripped his face between her hands, just as Lois had.

“My boy.” She whispered through her tears before pulling him to her and kissing her forehead.

“I’m home, mom.” Mrs. Olsen brought them all inside and force-fed Jimmy several muffins until she was satisfied that he really couldn’t eat another bite as he told her about his harrowing adventure.

TBC

.talk nerdy to me.