Chapter Eight: If I Go Crazy Then Will You Still Call Me Superman?

“Hi sweetie, we didn’t find him today, but I think we’re getting closer.” Clark whispered to the baby sleeping in her crib.

He stroked the soft red fuzz on the top of her head and listened to the sound of her heartbeat for a moment before heading into Lois’ bedroom.

“Clark?” Lois mumbled.

She rolled over to face him as he climbed into bed.

“Hey, come here.” He said, sliding her over and hugging her close to his body.

“Do you--” She started, but Clark shook his head.

“No. Just let me hold you.” He whispered, pressing his lips to the top of her head.

Clark’s search continued, but every time it seemed he was getting closer, he’d come to a dead end again. It had been a week of the same thing. Each day he’d scour the various areas where Jimmy had been, and he’d hear of the wonderful things he’d done for the people in the camps before he went on his way.

The last place Jimmy had been seen thus far, was with the young boy in the village Clark had gone to on the second day. It was becoming more and more hopeless for everyone to continue hearing that Superman was having no luck finding Jimmy.

“Excuse me.” Superman said as he landed and approached a group of very shocked soldiers.

“Have you seen this man?” The men stood still and silent, their eyes wide as one of them reached out and took the photo into his shaking hand.

“Yes, we know him. He is the American doctor. We took him with us to fix Abasi.” The soldier said, nodding at another soldier who was missing an arm.

“Where is he now?” Superman asked, advancing on the group.

“We left him. He was too slow after he got sick.” One soldier said.

“Left him where? How sick was he?”

The men shrugged.

“He had the fever. We left him with the rest of the bodies.” The soldier explained.

“Was he dead?” Superman asked, his voice shaking slightly.

“Not yet. Not when we left him there.” Superman closed his eyes for a moment.

“How long ago did you leave him there?” He asked, snatching the photo back.

“Three days? Maybe four?” He said, shrugging, not seeming very sure or like they cared very much.

“Where is this place? Where do they keep the bodies?” Superman asked, his voice frightening even himself.

The soldiers explained how to get to the place before watching with wide eyes as Superman melted their guns with his heat vision before flying off.

“Hello? Is anyone here?” He called as he stepped down the small pathway made between the rows of covered bodies.

The smell of the tented structure was overwhelming for Clark. Despite being covered, the idea that all of the lumps under the blankets and sheets were human beings made him cringe. He’d seen a lot in his lifetime, even genocide during his travels, but it didn’t make it any easier.

“Hello?” He called again as he entered another room in the large structure.

“Can I help you?” An American woman asked, entering the room with a wet cloth covering her mouth and nose. “Superman…” She said, gasping at the sight of the superhero.

“Hi, I’m looking for someone. I was told he was left here.” Superman said.

“You’re welcome to check under the sheets. They aren’t going to mind.” She said, gesturing to the lumps.

Superman nodded and turned to face the row nearest to him.

“Uh, you know, if you describe your friend, I might be able to help you with what general area he might be in. I run this hospital.” She said with a shrug.

Superman turned to her.

“Hospital? This is a hospital?” He asked.

“Well, you’re standing in my morgue, but the hospital is in the next tent.” She explained, pointing over her shoulder with her thumb.

Superman handed her the photo of Jimmy. She nodded sadly.

“Yea, I recognize him. He was dropped off on my doorstep with Malaria.”

Superman’s eyes widened.

“So he’s here then? In your hospital?” He asked, hoping he’d finally found Jimmy.

“No, I’m sorry. He’s not in my hospital anymore.” She replied sadly, pained by having to give Superman the bad news.

“He’s in here somewhere?” Clark asked, gesturing toward the rows of covered bodies, feeling a sudden wave of pain engulf him.

“No, he was only here for a day and a half. When I woke up, he had disappeared. I just assumed the soldiers who left him took him back again. Apparently he’d helped one of them with a severe wound of some kind. They thought he was a doctor because he had first aid skills. It probably saved his life.” She said.

Superman looked around the room at all of the sheet covered corpses.

“What, uh, what are your plans for these people?” He asked, nodding at the rows.

“Well, it’s just me here most days. Occasionally I have some volunteers and doctors come, but this is more of a half-way point for people before they go to the main camp, so eventually I’ll bury them, give them graves. We have a cemetery in the back. It’s a long process, and there are just so many…”

Superman nodded.

“Maybe I can help before I leave?” He suggested, wanting to do something.

The woman nodded and showed him where her tools were. In mere minutes, Superman had dug graves, carved names and dates of those who had been identified into the wooden crosses that the mission had made to mark grave sites, and buried all of the bodies.

“Thank you…” The woman said, shocked by the now empty space.

“I know it’s not much, and your morgue will probably be full again in no time, but I hope I’ve at least helped a little.”

The woman nodded and shook Superman’s hand.

“I hope you find your friend.” She said before her flew off.

“Look Jay-Jay, Uncle Clark’s home.” Lois whispered to the baby cooing in her arms.

She wasn’t crying, but she seemed restless and Lois knew exactly why.

“She missed you.” Lois said, standing up and meeting Clark halfway through the living room as he spun into his street clothes.

“I miss her too.” He said, taking her from Lois’ arms. “How was she today? Still have the sniffles?” Clark asked, kissing the baby’s forehead.

“A little, but she seems a lot better than she was last night.” Lois replied.

Clark nodded.

Lois knew by now not to ask Clark how his search had been. He didn’t want to talk about it, and she didn’t want to hear him tell her that he thought it was futile.

Lois stepped closer to Clark and reached up, cupping his cheek.

“Why don’t you go shower while I put her to sleep and then I’ll meet you in bed.” She whispered.

Clark nodded and handed her back the baby before kissing Lois’ cheek and heading toward the bathroom.

“I missed you too, you know.” Lois said as Clark came into the bedroom.

“I know. I always miss you when I’m gone. I’m sorry.” He replied, sitting on the edge of the bed in his towel.

“Don’t be sorry. I want you to find him just as bad as you want to. I understand, Clark.” She said, crawling behind him and wrapping her arms around his waist.

Lois rested her cheek against his back, between his tense shoulder blades.

“Make love to me, Clark.” She whispered, her breath warm on his moist skin.
He smiled as he felt her place a soft kiss on the back of his neck.

“You’ve been so great, Lois, so strong. Let me take care of *you*.” He said as he turned around and lifted her up, laying her back down on the plush pillows before kneeling over her and kissing her lips.

TBC

.talk nerdy to me.