Previously on Soul Desire:

Xena sighed. "Everything's fine. It's just...I was remembering something that a friend once told me."

"Oh. Care to share? Or too private?"

"I don't mind sharing. You see, Hades' helmet of invisibility had been stolen by a very evil man, who used it to slip out of the Underworld and back to the world of the living. My friend, Marcus, had been given back his life for a day or two to help me as we tracked down the helmet. When we camped that night, he couldn't stop staring at the sky. He said that you never realize all of the things that you take for granted until you don't have them anymore. Like the sky and the evening air. I understood a little of what he was saying back then, but never quite the extent of it. Until today when Hades pulled me back to life. Seeing Gabrielle...and Hercules and Iolaus...it just sort of hammered home how much I've missed them, you know? And experiencing life again, I see how strange your world is compared to the one I knew, but there's so much that has stayed the same. The sky, the moon, the satisfaction of a hot meal. I know that I did the right thing, choosing to stay dead in Japan when Gabrielle had the chance to bring me back. I had to guard those souls from further evil. But I still can't help second guessing how easily I chose to reject another chance at life." She shrugged, clearly embarrassed at having bared her soul so easily. "I'll be fine. Thanks for listening."

Clark sighed. When he spoke, his voice was soft, barely above a whisper. "Xena, you know that I would do anything in my power to help you and the others...stay alive after all of this is over. I owe you more than I can say. When we first met, you had no reason to trust me or Lois. You had no obligation to help us. But you did. In doing so, you kept Lois and my son out of harm's way. And you saved my life, not once, but twice. First in the arena, and then again from the poison that was slowly killing me. If there was any way that I could make Hades give you, Gabrielle, and Iolaus a second chance at life, I wouldn't hesitate."

Xena touched his arm lightly and a genuine smile crossed her lips. "I know that you would. But, I guess going to the Elysian Fields won't be such a bad thing. Gabrielle and Iolaus will be there to keep me company. And it'll be nice to be reunited with my son. Come on, let's go back in before the rest wonder what happened to us."

"After you," Clark said, opening the door for her.

A little while later, Clark emerged from the shower and slipped into bed alongside Lois. Lois snuggled up to his warm body, running her hand over his bare chest. Clark brought his arm around her body, pulling her closer. Lois rested her head against his chest and his chin rested on the top of her head. Neither of them spoke; there was nothing to say that they hadn't already said that day. But they both had their thoughts on their current foe. And with the kids not home, the house was eerily quiet, dispute the four heroes that were camped out in their living room. It was a long while before either of them slept.

Morning came too fast for Clark's liking. He groaned and threw a hand over his eyes, blocking out the steady assault of sunlight. At least, he mused, he'd been able to sleep through the night once he had finally fallen asleep. No cries for help had interrupted him - an extremely rare occurrence. For that, he was glad. He had the feeling that he would need every shred of his strength today. He glanced at the clock on the night stand. It was just eight in the morning. He slipped out of the bed, leaving Lois to sleep. Hastily, he pulled on a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt. It was on the cooler side, and although he didn't feel the cold like a regular person, he had long ago become accustomed to dressing the part whenever he knew that others would see him. He smiled ruefully. The people sleeping in his living room had seen him spin into his super disguise and fly off, but yet, he still felt compelled to keep up the charade with his current clothing choices.

He floated down the steps, not wanting to wake anyone, then slipped out of the house. He jogged to the local deli to pick up some breakfast supplies and returned home. By the time Lois and their guests had woken up, Clark had prepared a spread of eggs, bacon, toast, bagels, sausage, and a selection of fruits, as well as coffee, tea and orange juice. Everyone ate with gusto, especially Iolaus, Clark noticed.

They were just finishing up when Ares appeared before them. Hercules put down his mug of coffee.

"What did you find out?" he asked.

"Hello to you too," the god replied.

"Ares, please," Xena said, exasperated.

Ares' head whipped to the raven haired warrior woman.

"Well, since you asked nicely, I'll tell you." He pulled out a chair from the table and sat, adjusting the sword that hung at his side. "Okay, here's the deal. I paid a little visit to Mnemosyne. I understand that you spoke with her the last time you dealt with Dahak." He nodded towards Hercules.

"She actually spoke with you? She's not too keen on the gods, since Zeus attacked and defeated the Titans. She barely even wanted to speak with me the last time, and I'm only half a god."

"Yeah well, when it comes to defeating Dahak, we're all on the same team," Ares said with a shrug. "Anyway, after you used the stone the last time, Zeus collected it and split it into three pieces. He hid each piece in a different place, even recruiting the gods of other countries to watch over the shards."

"Why would he do that?" Iolaus asked.

"He, like all of us, thought that Dahak had been destroyed. The stone was still very powerful, and he feared that someone, either a god or a mortal, might be able to use it against the rest of the gods."

"Can they?" Xena asked.

Ares shrugged again. "No one knows. But dear old dad wasn't going to risk it."

"Well, at least he didn't destroy it completely," Hercules sighed.

"Why not?" Clark asked. "I mean, if he feared it so much, why not destroy it?"

Ares drummed his fingers on the tabletop. "Only Zeus knows, and he's unreachable right now. Maybe he feared that one day some other evil entity would arise."

"What's the catch?" Lois asked, running her finger mindlessly around the rim of her mug. "I mean, there's got to be a catch, right? I'm guessing he didn't just stick them in a hole in the ground for anyone to stumble across."

Ares smirked. "You know, if you and your husband weren't such goody-goodies, I might actually appreciate that sharp mind of yours. But you're right. Zeus placed a series of protective spells on the shards. Those with mortal, human blood can't touch the shards without being incinerated. Those with immortal blood can't touch them either without becoming trapped for eternity."

"So basically, we're screwed," Iolaus said, throwing up his hands. "Perfect."

"Maybe not," Clark said slowly and with a sly grin. "I'm willing to bet that while neither a human nor a god can get the shards, that an alien can."

"Alien?" Iolaus repeated, arching his brows. "Like a strange visitor from another planet, alien? I've heard those fantasy stories before."

Clark nodded. "They aren't fantasies, Iolaus."

"Okay, fantastic. Even if you're right, where do we find one?" He took a large bit of the remainder of his bagel.

Clark grinned grimly. "You're looking at him. I'll go after the pieces of the stone."

"You?" Iolaus asked, swallowing hard. "You don't look like an alien. But," he breathed out quickly and shrugged, "then again, I did watch you fly last night."

"I'll come with you," Hercules said. "I'm familiar with the handiwork of the gods. So, where do we find the shards, Ares?"

"There is a piece hidden in a labyrinth in Egypt. The entrance is somewhere in the cliffs of the Valley of the Kings and it snakes below several of the tombs. It won't be easy to find. Mortals have been digging in that valley for a long time and haven't stumbled on the entrance yet." Ares took a piece of bacon and chewed it thoughtfully. "Ooh, crispy. Just how I like it."

"Ares, focus," Gabrielle said.

Ares chewed for a moment longer than was necessary, then swallowed. "The second piece is in Norway, hidden in a labyrinth someplace beneath the Rainbow Bridge. But don't think that your friend Balder is going to help you, Hercules. The gods have fled Asgard, much as the rest of Olympus has."

"Why are all the gods such cowards?" Gabrielle muttered. "Where's the other piece?"

"Here's where it gets a little weird," Ares admitted. "It's up in the Arctic by the North Pole."

Hercules blinked. "Okay, that is weird. There's no gods up there."

Ares shrugged and spread his hands wide. "Since when has Zeus ever made sense before?"

Hercules inclined his head in agreement. "I hate to say it, but you've got a point."

"I want to come with you guys," Iolaus said decisively.

Clark shifted uncomfortably. "I can't fly the both of you around at once," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "For a short distance, sure. But for long distances like we're talking about, I'm afraid that it's better that I only take one."

"You wouldn't get passed the wards on the doorways," Ares said. "Mortal blood, remember?"

"Aww man," Iolaus grumbled. "I finally get back to the land of the living and I don't even get to go where the action is."

"And me?" Hercules asked.

Ares looked thoughtful for a moment. "The balance of mortal and immortal blood might just be enough to allow you access inside. But you won't be able to remove the shards from their cradles. Only when the stone is reunited can it be handled. Keep the shards apart until you have all three."

Iolaus harrumphed.

"I'm sure there will still be plenty of fighting to come when we take down Alti," Xena assured Iolaus, clamping a hand on his shoulder. "In the meantime, you can help Gabrielle and me while we guard Lois. If Alti knows about her relationship to Clark's...alter ego, she may try to make a move to draw Clark out into battle. We need to be ready for that."

"Hmmm...yes, well, you might want these then," Ares said, pausing to chew another strip of bacon. A blue spark appeared in the air above his hands, similar to the one that preceded his own appearances. An instant later, Xena's sword and chakram appeared in his hands.

"My weapons," Xena said, accepting them from the war god. "But how?"

"After Gabrielle laid them to rest with your ashes in your family's tomb, I took them," Ares admitted, though there was no apology in his voice. "I couldn't stand to see them rot with time. It seemed a shame to let them go to waste. I've kept them secure in my quarters on Olympus. And fine, I'll admit it, it was nice to have a memento of you around."

"Thank you," she said, reverently stroking the smooth metal of her chakram with her fingertips. A gleeful light seemed to shine in her eyes as she hefted the weapons, taking comfort in their familiar weight and feel. Indeed, she felt as if her arms were complete once more.

Ares made a second set of sparks appear, bringing two sais into existence. He handed them to Gabrielle.

"You kept these too?" the bard asked, surprised.

"Like I said, call me sentimental," he said dryly. "Besides, what would my collection be like if I kept a souvenir of the Warrior Princess but nothing from the Battling Bard?"

Lois raised her brows. "I thought you had a staff."

"I, uh, made a change in weapons a year or so after I last saw you," Gabrielle said. "It's kind of a long story."

Clark glanced at the clock. It was nearing ten in the morning now. He cleared his throat. "Hercules, you and I had better get going." He spun into his super suit without waiting for a response.

The demigod nodded as Clark stopped spinning. "Where to first?"

Clark mulled it over. "We'll hit the North Pole first, then move onto Norway and Egypt. I don't want any prying eyes when we're at the Valley of the Kings, so I'd prefer to do that under the cover of darkness."

"You are not going dressed like that!"

A pink shimmer announced the presence of Aphrodite. She pointed a finger at Hercules, transforming his clothing into thick winter wear, including a puffy, bright orange Gore-Tex snow jacket and pants, as well as heavy boots.

"That's better," she said with a pleased smile Then she turned to Clark. "Your turn, Stud Muffin."

He waved his hands before him, as if he could ward off her power that way. "I don't need it. I don't feel temperature extremes," he explained. If anything, the thick winter wear would only slow him down.

"Well duh! You think I don't know that? I meant that ensemble you're wearing has got to go."

"No thanks," Clark said, as politely as he could.

"Ugh, don't tell me you're really going to fly around in that blue and red outfit of yours," the goddess pouted. "It's not exactly subtle. Or easy on the eye. Talk about clashing! I could fix you up something in a nice blue and black, or maybe a nice black and red. Or maybe dark green. And what's up with the cape? That's so last century!" As she spoke, she snapped her fingers, changing the appearance of Clark's outfit with each snap.

"Aphrodite, please," Clark begged. "I like my suit the way my mother designed it."

She rolled her eyes, pouting again. "Everyone's a critic!"

Another snap of her fingers restored his suit to the way it normally was. Clark breathed a discreet sigh of relief.

"Aphrodite," Xena said, drawing the love goddess' attention from Clark. "Any news on Alti?"

"Nada," she replied. "She must be laying pretty low, where ever she is. I'll keep an eye out still, but so far, I've come up with exactly squat."

"Keep watching," Xena instructed.

Lois was mildly surprised at how casually the warrior princess issued commands to the gods before her. And at how easily they accepted her as their commander. She supposed that it shouldn't be too surprising. After all, on their first adventure, Gabrielle had told her plenty of stories of Xena flat out defying and battling various gods. And, Lois suspected, there must have been even more occurrences like that after she and Clark had been returned to their own time.

"Will do," the goddess said, with a mock salute before putting her hands on her hips. In a flash, she was gone again.

"What about you, Ares?" Xena asked.

"There's not much that I can do," he said. "But I can postpone a battle I had scheduled today out in the Middle East. As a favor to Superman, of course. No need to distract him when the threat of Dahak is hanging over us all. Not that I'm happy about it mind you. It's taken me months of prodding on both sides to get to this point."

"A favor from the god of war," Clark mused. "Why do I get the feeling I'm going to regret that?"

"Because you probably will," Hercules said knowingly.

"Hey," Ares snapped. "If you pull this off and kill Dahak, I'll consider us even."

"How generous," Hercules mocked him.

"Ooh, a dagger in my heart!" Ares scoffed.

He dramatically put a hand over his heart and stumbled back two steps before vanishing into thin air. Clark stepped over to Lois and took her into his arms. Her arms instantly encircled his neck and pulled him tightly to her.

"Be careful, Clark," she whispered as her head came to rest on his chest.

"I will," he promised her, his voice a solemn vow. "Be careful yourself. I know that Xena, Gabrielle, and Iolaus will do everything to keep you safe. But be careful anyway, okay?"

"I promise," she vowed in return. "Come home to me in one piece."

"Don't I always?"

Clark leaned in, covering her lips with her own. She eagerly responded, attacking his lips with fearful energy. After a long moment, they broke apart.

"I love you, Lois," he said softly.

"And I love you, Clark," she responded.

Clark eased himself out of his wife's embrace and turned to face Hercules. "Ready?"

"As I'll ever be," Hercules confirmed, nodding.

"We'll make this as fast a trip as we can," Clark promised.

With that, he stepped over to Hercules and ushered him to the living room window. Awkwardly scooping the big man into his arms, Clark took off like a shot into the clear blue sky. Hercules closed his eyes as the earth fell away from them, fighting a sense of vertigo. When they were high enough to avoid being seen, Clark stopped climbing and leveled out. He peered down at his passenger. Hercules had opened his eyes again but was looking a little green around the gills.

"You okay?" Clark asked, genuinely concerned.

Hercules swallowed down the lump of bile that had begun to creep up his throat. It simply would not do to vomit all over Superman. After a moment, he nodded.

"Well that was certainly the most...intense...take off I've ever experienced."

Clark flashed an embarrassed smile. "Yeah. Sorry about that. I need to speed in and out like that to avoid prying eyes. We can go a little bit slower now if you'd like."

"I think I'll be okay. So, do I at least get an in-flight movie? Frequent flier miles?" the half god joked. "A tiny package of peanuts?"

"No, but I can promise you the fastest travel time and smoothest landing that you've ever experienced."

Clark adjusted his trajectory ever so slightly, striking due north. He sped onwards, slicing a path through cold, wispy clouds here and thick, wet rain clouds there. Hercules peered down after a while, a little uncertainly. It was one thing to watch the world racing by beneath him while on a plane, and quite another to do so in the arms of a super powered alien. He trusted Superman completely, but being so exposed made him uneasy nonetheless. He felt Clark pick up speed as they passed over Canada. Towards the northern border of the country, they encountered a massive electrical storm, forcing Clark to alter his route miles out of the way. It took less than a minute, but each moment pressed like weights on the minds of the two heroes.

At last, the storm was left behind. Land fell away to open ocean beneath them, then back to land once more. Ice and snow began to cover the earth and Clark started to drop in altitude at a gentle angle. He began to slow down, preparing for landing.

"Where do we even begin to look?" Hercules asked, yelling over the wind and eyeing the endless sea of ice below him. The speed of the flight caused tears to flow from his eyes and crystallize on his cheeks in the subzero air, forcing him to blink rapidly.

"I don't know. But keep your eyes peeled for anything out of the ordinary," Clark replied. "I'll x-ray as we pass overhead also."

Clark slowed way down, until they were moving no faster than a man at a brisk run. Clark x-rayed every inch of land within his scope of vision, working in a sweeping east to west and back again loop, steadily moving further and further north with each pass. He was infinitely glad that they weren't doing this in the dark.

"Aha," he said triumphantly. "I think I might have found something."

He floated gently back to the ground, angling his path towards a large glacier. Softly, his feet touched the ground and he gently put his passenger down. Hercules adjusted his coat, happy to be on solid ground again.

"Well, that was certainly an experience," Hercules said, feeling better now that he was on the ground. "Never thought I'd wind up flying with you."

Clark smiled wryly. "Never thought I'd meet anyone else with superhuman strength."

Hercules chuckled. "Guess that makes us even then. So what did you see? It all looks pretty much the same around here to me."

"There's a large cavern a mile or two beneath the ice," Clark replied.

Clark began to walk towards the wall of ice before him. White snow and crystalline ice mottled with darker patches of deep blue took his breath away with its sheer splendor. Clark hated to have to destroy part of the artistic beauty that nature had created over the millennia. He sighed softly to himself. Hercules came up beside Clark as he stood marveling at the towering mass of ice. The demigod pulled the hood of his jacket tightly around his head. He made a fist and readied himself to force an entrance. Clark gently put a hand on Hercules' arm, stilling his movement.

"Wait," he said.

He thoroughly examined the entire wall of frozen water, zooming in here and there to check fracture lines and other weak spots.
"Allow me," he said once he had gotten a good feel for the structure.

"Be my guest," Hercules said, grandly sweeping his hand before him before shoving his hands deep into his pockets to warm them.

Clark trained his heat vision on the glacier, reining in the intensity to a precise laser. He carefully swept his eyes in a curving arc, melting the ice steadily. He deftly avoided the weak places that might just cause the formation to crumble in upon itself, and thereby bury the piece of the Stone of Creation beneath tons of ice and snow. It wouldn't be impossible for Clark to retrieve the shard if the glacier did collapse, but it would take precious time. It was better to go the route of careful precision.

Bit by bit, an arching tunnel took shape in the side of the glacier. Clark easily adopted a routine. He'd melt away a few feet of ice, then stop and refreeze the melting sides with quick blast of his super breath. Then he'd go back to making their tunnel. Every so often, he would x-ray the ground, judging the distance between the end of his tunnel and the narrow channel that connected with the underground chamber. Two hours of steady work went by, with Clark stopping his task only a handful of times to throw a couple of swift darts of heat onto Hercules, who'd begun to shiver badly in the arctic air, despite the Gore-Tex. At least, inside the icy walls of the tunnel, they were protected from the winds that were kicking up swirls of snow and depositing them into small drifts here and there.

"Why are you stopping?" Hercules asked as Clark stood back, examining his handy work with his hands on his hips.

"We're here," Clark announced. "All I need to do is dig down twenty feet or so. There's an opening that leads to a long channel. It'll take us directly into the chamber."

Clark x-rayed the ground. Deeming it safe and sturdy, he floated above the floor and flipped upside down. He began to spin, faster and faster, until he was no more than a blur of blue and red, with the intermingled splash of yellow. He began to lower himself into the frozen mass of earth, becoming a veritable drill. In less than a minute, he had carved out a circular hole in the ground. He repeated the process twice more, widening the hole with each pass, until it was large enough to allow them to slip underground easily.

"After you," Clark said to Hercules, sweeping his hands towards the access hole.

To Be Continued...

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon