For a plot summary, please click here: Synopsis of Chapters 1 - 9

Missing Lois - TOC

Where we left off in Part 4...

CK was holding Lois, comforting her, while talking to Inspector Henderson. Lois’s husband didn’t look like his normal cool calm self. He appeared to be angry at Henderson, not shouting but barely restrained.

CK was holding Lois, just as he had after Jimmy had caught her kissing Superman. That was what Penny had meant when she said Clark knew Lois would do anything for her partner. Like take the blame for kissing her own husband, the superhero.

Jimmy shook his head. He couldn’t believe he hadn’t seen it before.

Perry stepped out of his office and over to him. Jimmy was still leaning against Lois’s desk and staring at the couple behind the glass walls. “Son, don’t you have work to do?”

Jimmy nodded at the conference room. “I’m doing it.”

His boss stood next to him and watched. “What’s Henderson doing here?” Then he answered his own question, before Jimmy could. “Someone came forward about a missing baby.”

Jimmy glanced at him. “You think so, Chief?”

“I know so, son.” His boss sighed and patted Jimmy on the shoulder. “Back to work. Give them their privacy.”

Jimmy nodded, heading back to his desk. As he sat down and looked at his screen saver of the Daily Planet globe rolling across his screen, he wondered how Lois and CK couldn’t be Lara’s natural parents when his mock-up clearly showed they were. Then he wondered how they could be her parents when Lois certainly hadn’t been pregnant in the past year. With Lois and CK anything was possible. The clone who stole their wedding proved that. Lex Luthor coming back from the dead… And so did CK once, as a matter of fact. Of course, since he was the Man of Steel, he had never died in the first place.

Part 5

Earlier that morning…

Superman landed next to the man with the glass cutters, standing in the middle of the Metropolis Art Museum, trying to access a glass case containing an ancient vase. Superman crossed his arms and watched the man work.

Man, did Lois have a new perfume? He couldn’t get the thought of her scent out of his mind. And her body… Whoa, why hadn’t he noticed how that suit clung to the curves of her body before?

Right, work. Criminal needing to be stopped. Superman cleared his throat, getting the thief’s attention. “Really? This piece? Mid-morning? Public museum? Security cameras rolling? And you still thought this was a good idea?”

“How?” the man stammered, raising his hands.

“Silent alarms are only silent to some.” Superman took the glass cutters out of the man’s hands. He turned the criminal around and started marching him out of the room. “And a security guard, too. Tsk-tsk.” He shook his head. What was it with people these days? Were criminals getting dumber or just more brazen?

The thief then elbowed Superman in the gut and tried to make a run for it. Superman rolled his eyes and stopped him, almost yawning. Well, that question answered.

The thief rubbed his elbow. “They weren’t kidding about Man of Steel, were they?”

Suddenly, Superman heard Lois calling to him. Clark, Honey. Clark? I need you. Come back. Please.

“Oh, man. What does she want, now?” Superman grumbled, tossing his hands up the air. “I’m working here. Women! Does your wife or girlfriend do that to you? Always calling you when you’re out on a job?” he asked the thief.

The man’s jaw dropped. “I turn off my cell phone,” the criminal responded. “Not a good idea to have it on when I’m working.”

“I don’t have that luxury. Super hearing always on.” Superman tapped his head and shoved the robber towards the head of security, who was just showing up to the scene. The hero looked at them with a shake of his head. “Ever hear of a background check?”

Clark! I need you. Please.

Superman rolled his eyes again. “Coming, Honey,” he called out to the universe. “Got to go.” Giving the guards a wave, he flew off, dropping the glass cutter at their feet.

Seconds later he stopped at the large windows overlooking the Daily Planet’s bullpen. Superman glanced around, but didn’t see Lois at first. Then he realized she was in the conference room with… Henderson. Oh, no. Not that. Not today. He zoomed off. Clark Kent jogged into the newsroom ten seconds later.

As Clark entered the room he saw Jimmy leaning against Lois’s desk. Actually the young photographer was staring at him.

“Lois?” Clark asked, straightening his tie.

His friend pointed to the conference room.

Clark opened the door. Lois was sitting at the conference table looking like she had just been told of a death in the family. Head down, tears streaming down her face. She glanced up at his entrance. “Clark!” She rushed to him as fast as he rushed to her.

“Oh, there you are, Kent. I was just telling Lois…” The Inspector swallowed.

“A couple has reported a missing baby and our adoption has been put on hold until they can determine Lara’s parentage,” Lois finished as she clung to him.

“Now?” he said, turning on Henderson with a growl. “Lara has been with us since May. It’s September and this couple is only now reporting their baby missing?”

“Clark, I know you are angry but it’s standard procedure in cases like this,” Henderson explained.

“Who are they?” Clark snapped.

“Clark?” Lois looked up at him, concerned. Oh, so she was allowed to be emotional about this, but not him?

Henderson pressed his lips together.

“We have a right to know about the couple who is trying to steal our child,” Clark stated.

The Inspector sighed.

“You know we’ll find out who they are on our own, if we have to,” Clark reminded him.

“They were a couple of the Berkistanian refugees scooped up in the raid the other day by Superman. Apparently, the wife gave birth while they were indentured servants…”

“Slaves, you mean,” Clark corrected him.

“Yes. The baby was taken by one of the bosses. They were told she would be returned once they had paid off their debts.”

“Oh, Clark.” Lois buried her head in his chest. “How awful for them.”

Clark winced. That was why the couple had never reported the missing baby; they couldn’t. “When was their daughter born?”

“Sometime in February by their calculations. They didn’t have access to calendars or any other such things, so they weren’t quite sure of the exact date.”

Clark nodded, sitting down. “Lara is not their missing daughter. But Lois and I will not stop until we find her. I guarantee you of that.”

“Yes.” Lois agreed with him. “We’ll start today. This afternoon. Oh, we were going to leave for your parents’ tonight for my birthday.”

“You’ll have to cancel that trip, Lois, Clark. I’m sorry, but Lara cannot leave Metropolis for the foreseeable future,” Henderson told them.

“We aren’t criminals,” Clark growled. “We’re responsible, loving parents and well-respected citizens of this city. Certainly, we will be allowed to go on a short weekend trip to my parents.”

Henderson shook his head. “I’m sorry, against procedure.”

Clark kissed Lois’s forehead. “I’ll contact Constance. We aren’t skipping your birthday again this year.”

“You are welcome to go,” replied Henderson, reluctantly. “But you would have to leave Lara with County Services.”

Clark bolted out of his chair, but Lois grabbed him in time. “Clark!”

“We are good parents. We would not go on vacation and leave our daughter with County Services. She is our daughter, not anyone else’s. She was well feed, well cared for, and loved when she was left at our house. She didn’t have any scars or bruises or any other examples of neglect or abuse. Nor does she now. She is not their missing daughter.”

Henderson held up his hands. “I’m just the messenger. I’m sorry.” He walked to the door. “We’ll be in contact about when to bring Lara in for her blood test.”

“What?” Lois gasped, gazing at Clark. “No!”

“Blood test?” Clark swallowed.

“Yes. The couple obviously has no photos of their daughter or any foot prints or hand prints. All they have is small section of her umbilical cord to use for blood comparisons.”

“No, absolutely not. That’s out of the question,” replied Clark. “You aren’t drawing my daughter’s blood.”

“Clark, it’s standard procedure in cases like this. Don’t you want to make sure Lara isn’t this couple’s child?”

“She isn’t,” Clark stated matter-of-factly, holding on tightly to Lois’s hand. “She’s our child.”

Lois nodded in agreement.

Henderson shook his head in pity before leaving the room. There was nothing more he could say.

Lois held Lara. She had been holding her since they came home at lunch. She did not want to let her go. She didn’t even touch the sandwich Clark made for her. He had hardly touched his either.

They had gambled on their daughter’s secret identity and lost. Lois knew there were only three options left. 1) Give up her daughter without the blood test. 2) Give up her daughter’s blood and expose her as Superman’s daughter. 3) Run away. Or in their case, fly away… far, far away. None of those options seemed like viable solutions to her and she hoped Clark would have more ideas once he returned from visiting with Constance Hunter, their lawyer.

The phone rang once. Twice. Lois sighed, picking up the cordless extension next to her.

Lois Lane?

“Yes.”

Windy Wing, National Whisperer.”

Lois sighed. And so it begun. “I bet you can’t say that five times fast,” she mumbled.

Excuse me?” the woman asked.

“No comment,” responded Lois.

Come on, Lane. Professional courtesy here.

Lois groaned, not really wishing to debate Windy Wing’s professional capacity as a tabloid reporter.

At least wait until I’ve asked my question before you ‘No Comment’ me. Please.

Oh, that professional courtesy. “Shoot.”

What did you want from Superman today?

Superman? She was calling about Superman? Lois posed that same question to Windy.

Of course. What? You thought I was calling about you?” Windy started laughing. “Nobody’s interested in Lois Lane unless it has to do with Superman, Lane. Didn’t you get the memo?

“Not imbuing professional courtesy, Wing,” responded Lois.

Sorry. What did you want Superman for today?” Windy repeated.

Everything, thought Lois. “Superman?” she asked, again. Why was Windy asking about him?

Yes, Mr. Tall, Dark, and Dreamy himself. Looks good in blue.

“I haven’t seen Superman today,” she replied honestly. Let the tabloids chew on that.

What?” Windy actually seemed excited.

“We’re just friends. I haven’t seen him in…” God, when was the last time she saw Clark in the blue suit? “I want to say days. It may have been longer.”

Really? Can I quote you on that?

Lois had no idea why her not having seen Superman in days would be considered newsworthy, even for a tabloid.

“I’d prefer it if you didn’t, but I don’t see why not.” She sat up. Something didn’t feel right. “Windy, what haven’t you told me? Is he… okay?” Lois could feel her heart slamming against her chest. Clark?

I’d say he is. He’s got himself a new girlfriend.” Windy laughed.

“What?” Lois snapped. “Superman most certainly does not date.”

I’ve got three witnesses who distinctly heard him talk about one.

No! “Superman does not talk about his personal life. Ever,” Lois stammered. Not today. Please, Clark. Not today.

He did, today. Thanks for the quote, Lane,” replied Windy, before hanging up.

“Clark.” She snarled. No. She wouldn’t call to him. Not about this. She would wait until he got home. Then, she would kill him.

Lois picked up the phone again and dialed.

James Olsen, Daily Planet.”

James. That always threw her into another dimension. “Jimmy! Great. Is Barry in?”

Nope, Lois. Just left for lunch.

“Do me a favor and find out what Superman’s been up to today, will you?”

Her friend didn’t respond right away. “Why don’t you just ask him?

“Because I don’t like to call him unless it’s an emergency.”

Oh. He’s…Why don’t you just ask CK? He always seems to know how to get a hold of him.

“Yes. But Clark’s not here right now, Jimmy. When he gets back in, I’ll definitely ask him. Just get me that info, okay?”

Anything in particular?” Jimmy asked.

“Windy Wing from the National Whisperer just called and wanted my comment on something Superman said.”

What did he say?

“That’s what I want you to find out.”

O-Kay…” Jimmy said hesitantly. “How can you comment on something if she didn’t tell you what he said?

Lois rolled her eyes. “Just get it, Jimmy.”

Yeah, sorry. Right on it. Bye.

Lois hung up the phone with a shake of her head.

She carried the sleeping Lara upstairs to her crib and sat down in the rocking chair. What were they going to do about their daughter? If Clark had said something about his private life as Superman, it could mean only one of two things… Either between Lara and this craziness he was putting on himself about his wife’s birthday, he was stressed. Or… it was the other Clark visiting from the other dimension. Why would the other Clark be visiting her dimension? When she questioned her husband about this new girlfriend, she would have to go about it in a way where she didn’t lose her temper, just in case…

Jimmy called back almost an hour later. Clark still hadn’t returned. That wasn’t a good sign.

OK. Get this. When Superman went to Met Art Museum today and caught a guard in the act of stealing an ancient Greek vase, apparently Superman heard someone nagging him…

“Nagging?” repeated Lois. Oh, no. Not good.

That’s what this guy said. Superman started moaning how this woman was interrupting his work, as if it were a frequent occurrence. Complained about not being able to turn off the super hearing so he could work in peace.

Lois’s heart thunked into her shoes. Nagging? “Jimmy, Superman doesn’t complain. Ever.”

I’m just telling you what this guy said.

“Windy Wing said something about three witnesses.”

Apparently, that part of the conversation was just between the thief and Superman, but when they reached the head of security and the other guards, Superman rolled his eyes and said, ‘Coming, Honey,’ as if responding to someone calling to him,” Jimmy told her. “This was heard by the crook and at least two of the security guards.

Lois buried her face in her hand. “Got it. Thanks, Jimmy.” She took a deep breath. “What time was this?”

“About ten thirty this morning.”

About the time Inspector Henderson had paid his visit. Definitely her Superman.

Ah, Lois,” Jimmy said, his voice soft. “I’m sorry.

“I don’t know what could have gotten into him today. That just doesn’t sound like Superman.” Or Clark, for that matter. Something was definitely wrong.

Jimmy cleared his throat. “You know, Lois, CK was acting kind-of funny today too.

“He was?”

Yeah, that kiss he gave you seemed a little more...” The researcher coughed. “More intimate than his usual kisses that he gives you at work.

“Oh?” Frankly, she hadn’t noticed. Now, that she thought back upon that particular kiss – the one before he flew off – it had sent her heart racing. She had been distracted for a good five minutes after he left. She lifted up a bill off her desk and fanned herself, just thinking about it. OK, it had been a bunch more intimate.

Didn’t notice, huh?” Jimmy chuckled.

Lois laughed, blushing. “Maybe a little bit.”

Something bothering him?

“Just the usual. Me, Lara, the fate of the world,” she said with a hint of irony.

Yeah. I bet it does.” Jimmy sighed.

“Jimmy, I’m just joking.”

Right. Of course, you are. I got that. Well, if I hear any more strange news on Superman, I’ll pass it on, OK?

“Please do,” she said, hanging up the phone. Where was Clark?

As if he heard the thoughts in her head, her husband flew in the living room window. Without spinning out of his blue suit, Superman rushed over to her, picked her up and pressed a kiss to her lips. “Lois,” he moaned.

“Well, hello there, stranger.” Lois laughed, running her fingers down the arms of his blue suit. There was just something about Superman that always seemed to turn her on. Always had. Always would.

“Sorry, I’m late,” Clark explained, walking her up the stairs in his arms. “I stopped by my parents to tell them what was going on with Lara.”

“Clark?”

Her husband kissed down her neck. “Yes, beautiful?”

“You feeling okay?”

Superman grinned naughtily. “More than okay. There is just something about you today, Lois.” He kissed her again and when she opened her eyes, they were in their bedroom and she was lying on the bed. Clark lay down on top of her, still in the Superman suit. Suddenly, they spun in mid-air and she was down to her underwear.

“Clark!”

He was still kissing down her neck.

“Stop! Put me down. Now!”

Superman looked like she struck him across the face but he set her down on the bed. She jumped off and ran into the bathroom to throw up.

“Not quite the response I was hoping for,” her husband said, when she returned. He looked crushed.

“Nothing personal, Clark, you just made me dizzy.” Lois pulled on her robe and continued to wipe her face with a towel. “Not all of us were built to spin like that.”

“Sorry.” Her hero pulled her into his arms again.

Lois pushed him away. “I need a break first. OK?”

Superman disappeared for a moment and returned with a glass of water.

“Thanks, Clark,” she said, taking a sip.

“How about a shower?” Her husband raised his brows anticipating her answer.

Lois sighed. “That does sound nice. After the day we’ve had today.”

Superman zipped into the bathroom and a moment later, she heard the water running.

She laughed as he returned. “Well, thanks, again.”

As Lois stepped into the shower, she heard him talking to her. “I spoke to Constance. She thinks she might be able to convince the powers that be to let us leave town with Lara for the weekend. If Superman promises to fly us there and back. Apparently, he has a good track record for hunting people down.” Lois sensed her husband’s grin. “Our departure might be delayed twenty-four hours while we await approval. I’m sorry, Lois. I wanted this year to be different.”

Lois sighed as the hot water ran down her chest. It was just what she needed. She felt one hundred percent better. Clark always knew just how to pamper her. Suddenly, she felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her middle.

“Call me?” he asked innocently.

Lois smiled. Yep, Clark always knew what she needed.

Clark relaxed for what felt like the first time all day. Lois leaned against his shoulder, her fingertips dancing around his chest. He sighed, pulling her closer. It was good to have Lois close; he always felt better with her near. His emotions had been bouncing off the wall all day. Finally, he felt like himself again. No, not all day… it had started when she had shown him that rose.

“Lois? Where did you get that rose this morning?”

“Hmmm? Oh, that. I don’t know. Someone left it on my desk,” his wife murmured, interrupting her humming to answer him. “I thought it was from you.”

Was it the rose? Did that rose remind him of the ones that Junior had left on her desk? Was that why he had been so jealous? Why he had snapped at her? “I’m sorry.”

“For what?” Lois whispered; clearly, her thoughts were still focused on the here and now, not earlier that day.

Clark smiled, kissing her forehead. The here and now. Wow. He had just flown in the window, saw her standing by the desk, and knew he wanted her, right then. No waiting. No distractions. Just Lois. He swallowed. And he had taken her. He frowned. That wasn’t like him. He didn’t act like that. Let his animal urges take over. True, he had stopped when she asked him to; he hadn’t been completely out of control. OK, technically, he had paused, when she had asked him to stop. But still…

Lois’s hand slapped his chest. “Clark! I just had an idea. I thought we were trapped, but if we find this couple’s missing child before the authorities ask for the blood test, maybe we could avoid the whole thing.”

“Lois. How are we going to find this child?” he asked, knowing full well not to mention the needle in the haystack analogy.

“We’re the best investigative reporting team in Metropolis, plus you’re Superman. If we can’t find that missing baby, nobody can.” Lois jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom. “Let me take a quick shower…”

“I’ll join you,” he said grinning. “I’ve got another ‘hot lead’ for you.”

His wife peered out of the bathroom with a laugh. “That’s what started this whole thing.”

Clark leaned back against the pillows again. No matter how much he thought about work, he had no desire to go back there today. He would much rather spend the rest of the day and night in bed. With Lois. “Sure you don’t need any help washing between your shoulder blades?” he called.

“Clark!” He heard her giggle. He loved it when she laughed. She did it so rarely anymore. More and more every day, but still not as much as she used to.

Something about this past year had knocked Lois off her axis and try as he might, he couldn’t realign her again. He missed the old Lois, Clark thought, and then instantly felt guilty. She was the old Lois. She was the woman he fell in love with, just not the one he had married. He shook his head. That didn’t make sense. Of course, he was married to her… wasn’t he?

Let’s see, they had taken the Lois from the past and had brought her to the future. He had married that younger Lois and lived with her for almost a year, then they had sent her back into the past, where he had gotten her pregnant. Then pregnant Lois had spent almost a year in the other dimension and came back to him about four months ago. So, yes, technically, they were married. Clark shook his head. No wonder he was confused.

Lois walked out of the bathroom rubbing her hair with a towel. He felt that urge to drag her back to bed. What was it about her, today? He felt like he had on their honeymoon. He grinned slyly and patted the side of the bed next to him.

She shook her head with a smile. “We need to find that missing baby, Clark.”

He pouted, flying over to her to cover that smile with a kiss. She took the towel off her head and wrapped it around his waist.

“Clark! Enough. My knees already feel like Jello.” She slapped his bottom. “Now, go hit the showers. Penny’s going to be back from running her errands any minute now.”

He grabbed her wrist and pulled her to him with another kiss. “She came back a half hour ago.”

Lois appeared to be mortified. “Really?” She swallowed. “While we?” She sat down on the end of the bed, covering her face with her hands. “What must she think of us?”

“That we’re in love and can’t keep our hands off each other.” As he knelt down beside her and took her hands in his, the perfect birthday gift formed in his brain. A silly grin slipped onto his lips as he kissed her again.

His wife pulled him towards her.

Clark liked where her mind was headed, but he forced himself to stand up. “You’re right, Lois. Let me shower and get dressed, then we can get started finding that couple’s baby. Priorities.” He was trying to remind himself more than her.

As he returned from the bathroom two minutes later, she was fastening her pants. She glanced over at him and smiled. He smiled back at her. Still the luckiest man in the universe. He spun into his clothes and noticed she was still watching him.

“Clark,” she said, pulling on the jacket. “I don’t nag, do I?”

“Of course not,” he reassured her, putting on his glasses.

She breathed a sigh of relief.

“Did someone tell you that? Jimmy? Perry?”

“No. No. Just something I overheard today.” She shook her head as if it were nothing.

They went downstairs holding hands and Penny glanced up from the sofa.

“I didn’t know if you knew I was back,” she said. “I was beginning to wonder if I needed to make more noise.”

Clark tugged on his ear. “I knew.” But Lois still blushed, glancing away.

“I put your lunch in the kitchen,” Penny informed them.

“Lunch! I’m starved,” Clark said, darting off to the kitchen.

“What’s up with him?” he heard Penny ask Lois.

“I have no idea, but whatever it is… I could get used to it,” replied Lois with a snicker of laughter.

Clark grinned. So his wife had liked the afternoon delight. There were more ‘hot leads’ where that one came from, Honey.

“He has never so overtly mentioned his Super skills to me before,” Penny continued.

Clark paused with the last bite of his sandwich halfway to his mouth. He had done that, hadn’t he? What was up with him? He shrugged, popping the sandwich into his mouth. What’s done is done.

Returning to the living room, he tossed Lois a paper bag. “Your lunch, madam. Shall we fly?”

Lois stared at him, her jaw hanging open.

“I’ll drive, while you eat,” Clark continued, picking up his keys and her briefcase from the desk.

She blinked her eyes and nodded. “Sounds good.”

*** End of Part 5 ***

Comments

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.