Part Seventeen

Lex Luthor sat patiently, waiting for Aykira to arrive. He found it oddly comforting to sit on the granite steps of the great museum and simply observe people in small clusters going about their lives. They walked up and down the expansive entry stairs of the museum. <Was it only two days ago I felt superior to all these gentle common folk?> He mused to himself. With earnest longing, Lex wished he was like them… ignorant of their life’s end.

He observed intently the traffic as Metro cabbies drove on the active street skillfully avoiding busy pedestrians rushing about the city, only concerned with the cares of their lives. Gaudily painted buses packed with tourists from every point on the globe, stopped in front of the massive building disgorging their excitedly chattering occupants. Once the task was complete, the drivers eased the large vehicles expertly through four tight lanes of traffic.

The building surrounding the great museum seemed to mirror its massive appearance. The area had been built during the turn of the nineteenth century. The slightly greenish hint of oxidation on the rooftops was the only indication of age on the otherwise pristinely kept buildings. One of the ancient structures boasted of an extensive garden on the rooftop. Lex knew that to be the case, as the penthouse’s female owner had given Lex a tour of that beautiful garden… as well as a private tour of its interior rooms. He regretted that liaison as he regretted so much in his life this particular afternoon.

Everything around him held a new intensity of meaning; a small tow-headed child hanging adoringly onto her father’s hand. A determined sweaty runner pounding his way through the crowded city street. Noisy excited schoolchildren tumbled out of a big yellow bus, under the watchful eyes of their teachers. Along the sidewalks, street artists displayed their wares; everything from drawings of the Metropolis skyline, to hand thrown pottery, to the latest fad in porkpie straw hats.

The wind blew a gentle refreshing breeze over his body while the brilliant sun of early summer shone down. He had traveled all over the world’s continents, but never once took the time to appreciate simple gifts of nature. Alas, far too busy chasing the next business deal or some meaningless and empty pleasure.

He mused sadly; how might his honest, hard working parents have perceived his success? Or rather, how might they have perceived his methods of achieving that success?

The ebb and flow of life in Metropolis moved pass him, ignorant that Lex Luthor’s time was running out.

He fervently searched the crowds looking for the one person who was now his lifeline. Aykira… where was Aykira? Suddenly, he spotted her moving effortlessly past a glass enclosed bus shelter displaying a museum ad extolling the wonders of 18th century Korean pottery. She looked divine in an intricately hand knitted raspberry and cream pullover and exquisitely fitted blue jeans topped off with a raspberry hued scarf loosely tied around her neck. Her black hair done up in a twisted braid, perfect for the changeable early summer weather.

As the object of his heart’s desire drew closer, reprimanding thoughts ran through his mind. <Why did he wait so long to reveal his feelings? It was unimaginable to think of his earlier plan to implicate her in the crystals theft should the plot be discovered. All Aykira had ever shown him was loyalty and kindness.>

She approached him with gleaming hazel eyes, Lex mused, <Did this magnificent creature pity him? No, he trusted his abilities and could not misjudged her so greatly. Whatever it was the lady wanted to say, he would listen with an unbolted mind and heart. Nothing earthly would cause him to withdraw last night’s proposal. Truly, for the first time in his life, love’s gentle embrace enfolded him.> He touched a protective hand to his jacket pocket and smiled.

With a straightforward confidence Aykira did not feel, she walked up the granite steps and smiled tremulously at Lex, as he stood and grasped her outstretched hand. By the concerned gaze of those obsidian eyes, she perceived the melancholy on her face was evident. Determined to begin their rendezvous with a light air, Aykira spoke with wry amusement in her voice.

“Lex, black jeans and a white shirt are a dangerous combination on you.”

“Thank you. Let us not dance around words, what is wrong my love?”

“A… as you were last night, so am I today. Where do I begin?”

Lex indicated an empty black wrought iron and wooden bench at the bottom of the granite stairs. Silently they made their way downward than sat facing each other, hand in hand. Lex spoke very softly, “Aykira, think about the place best to begin, and then start.”

She nodded, took a minute to calm herself than started speaking. “Everything I am about to reveal will sound utterly fantastic. However, if our relationship is to work Lex, there must be complete honesty between us. To begin with, I knew all about your nefarious business dealings both before I began to work for you and quite a few afterwards. Nigel St. John and Mrs. Cox were only too happy to provide all the information I needed, especially after the correct persuasion.”

Lex’s mouth dropped open in stunned shock. “H… how. How did they…”

She held up a slim brown hand requesting his silence. “Neither the ex-MI6 agent nor your former assistant had much of a choice in the matter. They were out-maneuvered by someone… not of this planet… Earth.” Reading the expression of shocked disbelief on his face, she clarified her words quickly. “No, I am *not* from Krypton, but from another Earth, a parallel universe. A world which benignly exists side by side with this one, there are several differences, some subtle, some not so.”

Shocked, and not a little bit frightened, Lex snatched his hands away from her. The engaging, intimate moment between them passed. “Aykira, I do not find this amusing. It is all too much.”

“Sadly, it is all too true.” She responded.

The graceful woman turned, staring at the man before her anxiously waiting. She pondered how much to reveal. “I came here six years ago to help my homeworld…and save the m… everyone I love.”

“My home is planet Earth…an alternative reality Earth. With the help of a brilliant invention, an interdimensional transport device, I was able to crossover from my universe to yours. My mission was to enter Barontech’s facilities in Leeds, England and remove twelve Harmonic crystals to take back to my world for study and replication. Unfortunately, the calculations were off ever so slightly, causing me to arrive six years and some months prior to their creation.”

Gazing at Lex, for the briefest of moments she paused to draw in a breath. “Yes, six very long, lonely, but productive years. Now, as you say, let me start at the ‘true’ beginning.”

So as Perry White was beginning to have a serious dialogue with his top investigative reporting team, in his office at the Daily Planet. On a certain bench near the Greystroke Museum, a rather incredulous Lex Luthor continued listening to the strangest story he had ever heard.

“Pollution of the environment forced humanity to face the very real possibility of destroying the Earth. In an unprecedented effort, all nations banded together to discontinue using fossil fuels. The decision to utilize wind power and solar energy were sufficient for a decade or so, unfortunately, the technology could not keep up with the world’s demands. It was critical to find a more efficient method of using solar energy.”

“What about nuclear energy?” Lex, now thoroughly drawn into the narrative inquired.

Aykira suppressed a shudder. “Two major nuclear accidents had occurred years before; the Icelandic city here known as Reykjavik was vaporized. Our council imposed a strict quarantine immediately. The surrounding land shall not be visited, much less inhabitable for untold centuries. Another accident at a power plant in Los Angles created shock waves that nearly caused America’s west coast to plunge into the Pacific Ocean. Thankfully, the Man of Steel was able to prevent it from happening… barely. Needless to say nuclear energy shall never be seriously considered as a power source again.”

“Our brightest scientists from Star Labs and Barontech joined forces to create a source of cheap, clean energy. Without going into extensive technical details; suffice to say after several years of experimentation the crystals were conceived and the two laboratories set up assessments by the hundreds.”

“Oh Lex, those were exhilarating days! Our teams worked relentlessly on improving the crystal’s ability to harness energy from the sun. A number of years passed, but at last experiments moved from within the laboratory to ‘real life’ tests: engine mock-ups, power trials, and finally converting established engines to accept the crystals. Each new experiment yielded fresh, impressive results. The harmonic crystal technology was applied to car engines, building generators and small single engine planes. Our most ambitious trial was powering a city the size of Metropolis for one hour, with a crystal the size of my fist.”

Aykira watched his reaction carefully, despite Luthor’s original desire to deny her tale, hearing about such amazing feats of technology and engineering shocked him into silence. She knew he was calculating the long-term benefits; both financial and environmental, such an energy source presented.

“Our crystals were on track to permanently solve mankind’s energy problems. Bern was confident the crystals could be mass-produced within five years. It was a monumental achievement.

“Who is Bern?” Her companion inquired.

Aykira broke off speaking, and understanding that revealing her world held doppelgangers of this alternative world’s inhabitants might prove overwhelming, she merely said. “He is the genius behind the interdimensional transport device.”

“He must be a brilliant man.” Lex answered soberly.

She nodded absently and proceeded with the narrative. “It was shortly after the city trial that *all* the crystals were returned to Barontech’s main physics laboratory for additional tests, when the storage facility experienced a dreadful catastrophe.” Aykira stopped; her voice quaked ever so slightly. “The entire team was killed instantly. Destroying everything: notes, exhibits, test results, and every crystal in existence. It was an act of coldblooded corporate sabotage. I will not complicate an already outlandish story with excessive details of what happened next. Suffice to say the persons responsible were apprehended and punished to the limit for their offenses.”

“Whoever planned and carried out such a crime must be insane.” Lex’s voice was surprisingly harsh.

He watched as she suddenly bolted up from the bench, the sensually athletic body shaking in remembered rage and shock. “Yes, it was a crime. Against all those innocent lives snuffed out; simply because a rival technology firm could not arrive at the same answers in time to please some stockholders!” It took a moment or two to compose herself; Lex walked over and held her icy hand, caressing it gently. This was no performance; he realized without a doubt, Aykira was telling the truth. Still he was a man who dealt in hard evidence. As of yet she had not provided any solid facts to her narrative. Yes, she knew about the crystals, but she could have acquired that knowledge from her unique position at LexCorp.

As if Aykira could read his thoughts, she smiled weakly at him, drew in a ragged breath than spoke. “I am getting ahead of myself again. Let me show you something.”

She removed the silver ring with the etchings from her finger and placed it in the palm of her hand. The ring began to glow than unexpectedly a picture of one of the crystals she had examined in Dr. Scott’s office appeared just above the ring.

“What is this… a hologram?” Lex asked in surprise.

“Yes. A technology that is still greatly underdeveloped here. As you can see this is a three dimensional picture of a crystal. One of a dozen… I acquired this morning.”

Perry’s office felt claustrophobic. Normally whenever the police officer showed up at the Planet, it was to share additional information after a case. However, today, the apprehension within the office was uncomfortably palatable.

After folding his tall frame like a pocket knife into one of Perry’s plaid covered chairs Henderson, without preamble, came straight to the point. “I have to ask Lane, what were you doing near LexSolar the morning of the break-in? The officer who spoke with you said something funny I couldn’t get out of my head. Your hair was wet and matted down... almost like a hat or wig had been on it fairly recently.

“Huh? What does my hair have to do with anything?” Lois replied. “For crying out loud, it was *raining*! I didn’t have my umbrella, so my hair got wet! As for why I was there, I told Perry this earlier - checking out a lead.” Her anxious eyes darted to Clark, pleading for help.

Her partner immediately picked up the ball… and ran with it. “It’s true Bill, she was helping me follow up on a lead for Superman. After all, *he* couldn’t go into the hotel and expect a confidential source to meet him in public. Remember, the microprocessors stolen from the Shackleton over two almost three months ago?” Lois gazed at Clark in gratitude.

“Oh yeah, those mysterious crates of microprocessors owned by LexCorp,” Henderson said thoughtfully. “The ones everybody and their brother has attempted to locate. Seems like *nobody* has been able to discover the whereabouts of those things.

“As a matter of fact,” Clark continued. “I just got off the phone with General Zeitlin’s adjutant, Captain Maynard. He wanted to know if either Lois and I or Superman had any additional leads. The military is very anxious to recover those particular crates. Anyhow, Lois was in effect working for the military, so neither of us could mention it to anyone. It was on a need-to-know basis, a case of national security... ” Clark said this last with a slight shrug of his shoulder. As if, the case might little or nothing to him. <Anything to get Bill off our scent.> He thought to himself.

Henderson’s facial expression changed imperceptively to one of relief. Regardless of how often he and Lane would scrap, there was a grudging respect for the prickly female reporter. Lois had a long history of breaking and entering into places, especially corrupt corporations and criminal lairs. Places the Metropolis Police Department would long to enter, but could not without copious amounts of paperwork. However, because she had always handed the evidence over to him, he deliberately ignored her behavior. This time it was different. Her clandestine activities might possibly come under scrutiny from groups way above his pay grade - especially if Lex Luthor starting making waves.

The Inspector obviously could tell the inky newspaper ‘wall of silence’ had been drawn protectively around her. Especially since Lane was allowing her partner to do all the talking. He decided it was better to permit the reporters to pursue the case… for the time being.

“Humph! National security? I figured there had to be something to ‘Mad Dog’ Lane’s backing down after being told the break-in was a false alarm.” Henderson stood up and was getting ready to leave when he pointed at Lois’ arm and asked. “When does the sling come off?”

“Tomorrow, but if I can see the doctor this evening, tonight!” Lois answered.

“That’s good. I’d ask you how it happened, but the *explanation* might come under the title of ‘national security’. According to the LexSolar security guards, several shots were fired and apparently hit the intruder, since blood was found on the scene.” Perry’s office was plunged into guilty silence as the reporters and their boss refused to respond to Henderson’s words. It was all the policeman needed to confirm his suspicions. “When you two print up that article, I expect to hear the *whole* story… behind the story.” With a curt nod to Perry, the detective departed the office.

“Judas Priest! Perry’s voice boomed after the door closed. Lois. Clark. What in Sam Hill is going on around here? Bill Henderson is a good man. I hated lying to him.”

“Chief, you didn’t actually ‘lie’ to him.” Lois said, looking contrite.

“Besides we *are* assisting General Zeitlin in this investigation… since he asked for Superman’s help. Clark added.

“That’s right!” His partner jumped in. “Anyhow, that science convention you sent us on yielded more than just a *crisp* story. We saw Dr. Scott there… with Lucky Leon!”

“Lucky Leon? The former KGB spy and Intergang assassin turned entrepreneur. Isn’t he supposed to be in jail?”

“Yeah, that’s what we thought too,” Lois snorted in derision. “Urgh! Clark, we were supposed to ask Henderson why Leon is walking around free! Anyhow, Scott is the scientist whose office I… um… visited. His computer contained an extensive amount of information on the crystals. The printout revealed a lot of information, above all else, the name of the men who stole them! Dr. Scott is meeting those men at Pier 17 tomorrow for the payoff. Tailing him tomorrow night will lead us to the crystals and their underworld purchasers!”

Perry jumped out of his chair and started to yell, remembered his blood pressure and spoke, his voice considerably lower. “Wait a minute. Crystals? What crystals? I thought only computer equipment was stolen off the Shackleton? You two *knew* who stole the equipment and that slipped your minds while Henderson was here? What are you trying to do? Kill your ol’ Editor!”

“Uh, we can tell you about the crystals later Perry. They are the real reason why the ship was hijacked in the first place.” Lois answered.

“Besides, Lois can’t admit to finding the evidence Chief.” Clark shook his head forlornly. “The documents were completely soaked from the heavy downpour during her getaway. We were able to make out just enough information to point us in the right direction. Since she obtained the evidence illegally, no way will it stand up in court. We have to catch Dr. Scott red-handed with the crystals and Intergang’s cohorts while the transaction is taking place.”

The long, eventful afternoon was steadily fading away as the couple sat on the bench. The numerous vendors and artisans were packing up their stands and museum visitors began exiting the building. Aykira could sense Lex’s mind whirling as every new facet of the story unfolded. Presenting him with evidence of the ring’s ability to create holograms was the final proof she needed for him to believe her story. Nevertheless, she continued; otherwise, she could never summon the courage to speak again. “As on this world, a lab technician discovered he had a benign brain tumor. His physician and the company’s cleared him for work. With the provision, he report in for monthly follow-ups. After three such examinations it was discovered the tumor’s growth had ceased and was reduced in size. Within six months, all traces of the affliction had vanished.”

“Of course all manner of neurological tests were run on the young man but everything came back within normal limits. After narrowing down the search for why this was happening, it was noted, all personnel working on the crystals never experienced headaches of any kind…except oddly enough caffeine withdrawal.”

“Now that is a pity.” Lex remarked dryly.

An odd little smile quirked the corners of Aykira’s mouth. “Yes, think how many coffee drinkers would love that! Unfortunately, it was impossible to keep such a discovery under wraps from the medical community. Neurologists, who had patients suffering from incurable tumors; converged on our laboratory in Leeds, England. The crystals were able to cure or remarkably slow down most cases, merely by long-term exposure. Only those m… most advanced stages cases were incurable.” They had sat down again, holding hands. Words started tumbling out of her mouth in a torrent. Aykira’s habitual calm wavered than crumbled. “If I had known about those damnable crystals months ago, we could have stopped the tumor, saved your life. Lex, th…this is so unfair!”

His dark eyes flashed for a moment with fear, remembering his upcoming surgery, however his voice revealed enormous restraint. “No, my love, it is not your fault, I ignored all the signs. How could you have known? Every time you wanted to help, I pushed you away. Never blame yourself.” He was deeply touched by her compassion for him and once again, he regretted precious time wasted.

For some time they sat motionless, Aykira kept her head on Lex’s chest, listening to the ebb and flow of his breathing. She wanted to stay in that position for hours enveloped in his warmth. Truly, she wanted to leave this hard bench behind and be somewhere quiet and safe, away from the concerns of crystals, covert missions, and wayward scientists. Their time was so fleeting, Aykira desired to be at home, warm in her bed with Lex by her side.

After a few minutes, she lifted her head from his chest, wiped her tear streaked face, and began speaking again. “The explosion at our Barontech facilities contained every single crystal on the planet. Decades of research brutally annihilated within seconds. It was the height of arrogance, that we hadn’t shared our research with others. As it was, only the most rudimentary notes were available in our Metropolis location. We would have to start again. By that time, another from our remaining team discovered he was afflicted with a malignant brain tumor; fortunately, it was in the early stages. However, he could not possibly survive waiting for us to reconstruction our research. Our plant’s scores of energy demands had not abated. If anything, they had increased a hundredfold. There were also the medical benefits of the crystals, countless lives; were at stake.”

“I’m beginning to understand the desperation of your world.” Lex whispered.

“For several years your world had been under observation by Bern and his associate… Alexander. It was more of a hobby rather than serious study. After the destruction of the crystals, Bern noticed there were similar scientific discoveries. They turned their observations to the science labs of Leeds in general and Barontech in particular. Imagine their relief upon discovering harmonic crystal research was taking place there as well. Bern, Alexander and myself worked to conceive of a daring plan, to acquire a small number from your world for replication.”

“The crystals can be duplicated?”

“Absolutely. However, requiring them constituted our biggest problem. Bern’s newly developed interdimensional device was our only hope. We needed someone to step into the dimensional corridor that separated your universe from ours. Since no one knew where the ‘agent’ might end up working The person had to be extremely well versed in physics, computer programming, and design, specifically microprocessors, finance and office administrational duties. The agent also had to blend seamlessly with the local population. Bern wanted to go himself, but I volunteered instead. With the Leeds’ team gone, Bern was our chief scientist in the harmonic crystal research. If I did not return, the lost was not too great.”

After spending a few more minutes with their harried boss, Lois and Clark walked back to their desks. Lois to pick up the manila folder with her left hand, and said, “Care to go over this file in-depth?”

“No problem. The conference room is clear. Let’s read it together.” They stepped into the room and shut the door, Clark lowered the shutters and began going over the file at super speed. Lois watched bemused. <Super powers are not just for leaping over tall buildings. Think of all the hours of research time we’ll save!>

“So partner, what did you come up with?” Lois asked when Clark closed the file.

"It’s just as Jack said, Dr. Scott is in a very bad way financially. All of his credit cards are maxed out. He borrowed cash against them to pay off his gambling debts. According to this, he even owes your friend Louie, a cool hundred grand.”

“Ouch! No wonder he’s selling the crystals. Louie is nice to people who *don’t* owe him money. After all, ‘he knows guys who knows guys’.” She said mimicking the loan shark’s voice.

“Yeah, but I don’t think Dr. Scott is interested in getting to *know* any of those guys,” her partner countered.

“Hmmm, Clark we should confront him now and get the crystals. He’s probably scared to death of those Intergang creeps. Besides if Lex discovers he’s selling the crystals, the Metropolis Police department might be his best bet.”

“No, we discussed this already with Perry. Scott *must* to be apprehended in the act of selling the crystals to Lucky Leon. Otherwise, the charges might not stick, than we can’t convince him to turn evidence on Luthor. Dr. Scott is our key to this entire investigation. Look, let’s call Captain Maynard and have him put a very discreet tail on the good doctor.

“Why not contact Henderson? He is our best ally in the MPD.” Lois responded.

Clark shook his head, “Normally, Bill would be the first person to contact. But, this case is beyond corporate espionage. General Zeitlin and probably the NSA need to be involved. Especially now with Lucky Leon taking an active interest in acquiring the crystals for Intergang.”

“Okay we’ll play it that way. While you’re talking to Maynard, I’m going to call Dr. Pete Ross and make an appointment to get this sling removed tonight. Than I could do with a bite to eat and *you* are buying Farmboy.”

Lois felt like a giddy teen-ager with melting insides as she watched Clark smile that sweet sincere grin of his as they departed the conference room.

The shadows of the surrounding trees grew longer as the afternoon waned on, yet Aykira continued her narrative. “Our security council did not relish the concept of stealing from another world. The plan to ‘smash and grab’ some of this Earth’s crystals was deemed too dangerous and Bern was ordered to destroy the device and his notes.”

“Sounds like politicians try to have the upper hand in your world as well as in mine.” Lex said sarcastically.

“True, but the council had never gone up against us before. Perhaps it was arrogance on our part, but Bern, Alexander and I were angered by the shortsightedness of their decision. So rather than destroy the device, we dismantled it in Leeds and rebuilt it in our New Troy facility.”

“What if the Council had discovered your plans and destroyed the machine while you were still here?” Lex’s question hung in the air. Aykira seemed reluctant to answer and was impatient to reach the part of her story directly involving him.

“After two months of training and studying the customs of this Earth I was ready. I stepped into Bern’s machine, wearing my beacon device to pull me instantly back in case anything went wrong.”

Luthor looked at her hands and examined the ubiquitous adornment on her right index finger. He touched it gently. “This ring?”

“Yes, exactly! I appeared in Metropolis at night in an area not far from the Coates Center. I approached a newspaper stand and read the date. My heart sank… imagine my shock to discover my arrival was six and a half years *before* the crystals would arrive in Metropolis! Bern’s calculations were off by a mere decimal point. A tiny error stranded me on this Earth until the right day arrived. Using the beacon device, I sent a coded message explaining my situation. Both Alexander and Bern were powerless to assist me; needless to say, I panicked.”

“Why not return home? Have this Bern correct the problem and send you back?”

“Prior to entering the device, my body’s molecular structure was attuned temporarily to your world’s environment. Returning and then coming back was impossible. Only one round-trip ticket per customer, there was no one else with the precise background to attempt my mission. Remember we were doing this against our government’s wishes.”

Lex took her hand and gripped it tightly. He certainly did not expect this turn of events. It meant traveling between her world and his was out of the question. Should she go back to her own Earth rather than marry him they would never meet again. The thought filled him with a deep sense of trepidation. <Is that why she is telling me this? Does Aykira plan on returning to her world, leaving me to face my last days alone?> Lex refused to believe she intended to abandon him, it was not in her nature to be cruel. Once again, he touched his jacket pocket, hoping he was right.

Aykira unaware of Lex’s ruminations continued speaking. “The die was cast, contact with Bern and Alexander was limited to short conversations every other week. I was on my own, stranded in an alternative universe armed with only a rudimentary knowledge of its history and customs. It became necessary to create and establish a viable identity *without* stealing anyone else’s. The only way to accomplish that was hacking into the two main computer systems within this country: Social Security and the Internal Revenue Service. Believe me it took several sessions from different locations to create and ‘fill out’ Aykira Hallick. My records had to be flawless, able to hold up under the most rigorous computer background checks.”

Lex smiled that killer grin of his. “Bravo. It was flawless; you survived the extensive background check from LexCorp’s best security people.”

She returned his accolade with a brilliant smile of her own. “Thank you. Once those records were positioned, everything else fell into place: school and medical records, credit cards, driver’s license, and passport. Aykira Hallick for thirty-years ‘exists’ in your world.

“Wait, how did you pay for simple living prior to this? Surely the currency in your world and ours differ?” Lex Inquired.

“Not as much as you might imagine, Bern provided five thousand dollars in emergency funds. Yet that was hardly enough money to support myself and finance my mission. Greater funds were required and they had to be gotten *legally*, without drawing any undue attention from the IRS. Hence, not long after firmly establishing my identity, I traveled to Las Vegas.

“Once there I drew on my mathematical knowledge to create a system for cheating at Blackjack. Moving carefully from casino to casino, playing only until I won either five hundred or a thousand dollars. It took two months ‘working’ in this manner to amass a sizable sum of money. I banked most of it, planning on quietly investing the funds later, in such things as computers, pharmaceutical and sporting goods companies.”

“Wise choice,” Lex said.
She caught the look of renewed admiration and a not a little surprise on his face. Aykira for her part blushed with embarrassment, all her math studies going to waste as a card sharp.

“I returned to Metropolis, rented a cramped studio apartment just outside of Suicide Slope, my blackjack earnings were placed in CD’s savings accounts and some quiet investments, steadily building in case I ever needed emergency capital. With time on my hands, I decided to expand my education on the history of *this* universe by attending distance-learning classes from MIT.”

Lex held up his hand and stopped her. “This is story amazing. By your sheer tenacity you should be running your own company, not working as my assistant.”

She shrugged, smiled, and picked up the narrative.

“After living here in Metropolis for six months, I joined a temporary agency that had a strong relationship with LexCorp. It took some maneuvering, but eventually I was sent to work in the records department. By making myself an indispensible member of that department, I was entrusted to file very sensitive material. That place was a gold mine of information!”

“Eventually Personnel, impressed with my performance in the records department, decided to use my skills throughout the building and hired me as an in-house contractor. I worked in several different departments on long-term assignments, progressively developing a solid standing with many department heads. A person’s reputation and good references within a company is more valuable than an impressive resume.”

Lex nodded sagely, “Your sterling record and character was a couple of the reasons why you were brought in after Mrs. Cox’s departure.”

“Yes, wasn’t that fortunate…” Aykira’s tone was at first ironic, than softened, she quickly continued. “When my studio apartment’s lease ran its course, I decided my next abode had to be owned not rented, a permanent residence to serve as my home base.

“I take it that’s where your communication equipment is hidden?”

She looked at Lex, he knew her much better than she thought. <Why should I be so surprised? His greatest ability is character assessment.> “Yes, with my investment earnings, I purchased a spacious two-bedroom condominium at the Lucerne. Once my living situation was firmly established Bern started sending over a communication equipment as well as the return transport device. Living in the heart of Metropolis was an adventure. Suddenly, I could visit museums, plays, read light-hearted novels. At… home, my studies, consultation work for science publications, and a few newspapers consumed all my time. My work with harmonic crystal research team consumed the rest. But, here in Metropolis although I had a mission, there was still time to learn how to enjoy living!”

Lex smiled, “Yes, I could see that from the pictures, books and artwork in your office and home. Quite impressive. Please continue.”

Her earlier enthusiasm slightly dampened, Aykira nodded and said. “However, I could not keep track of the crystals research and development long distance, it became necessary to travel to England and spend a year working in Oxford’s Faculty of Scientific History department.”

“I did read that in your resume, at the time I thought it rather odd.” Lex said.

“My position was extremely helpful developing contacts with the some of the scientists at Barontech. From them I was able to extract the location of the harmonic crystals research. ”

“Hmm that seems difficult to believe, its two hundred miles between Barontech and Oxford. How were such contacts established? The crystal research was under tight security, how did you find out about its initial location?”

“Lex, most of the scientists and technicians who worked at the facility traveled to Oxford for additional research materials. Being away from home, they often go to pubs bored and lonely. A couple of friendly ale pints with an equally bored scientific history ‘student’ and they will talk about anything.”

Aykira sensed Lex’s mind filing the information and deciding to find out which scientists and technicians were on the payroll back then. Employees with loose tongues were intolerable at LexCorp and Barontech.

“Do not concern yourself with the ones who spoke with me... I later ‘convinced’ them talking with strangers about such an important project would be detrimental to their careers. It kept them frightened and wary of chatting to outsiders.”
He believed her. “Very well, why didn’t you stay at Oxford and wait for the crystals to be created?”

“My contacts within Barontech were to keep me informed of any advancements made in crystal technology. They were also to alert me when the crystals were shipped to EPRAD. Also, it had taken too long to create and establish my American identity without having to fabricate a British one. Besides there were other more pressing matters to attend to.”

“Oh?” Lex raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

“Yes, traveling to Zurich, Switzerland to deal with your former major domo… Nigel St. John.”

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.