Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A taste from Chapter 9, Part 3...

Lois glanced at her desk and her face lit up. “Roses? Clark, you are the sweetest. I love you.”

“I love you, too,” he stated. “But they aren’t from me.”

Lois took the card from the bouquet; her teeth gnashed together as she read it and then tore it to pieces.

Clark noticed a flower on her lapel. “Where did you get the corsage?”

Lois grimaced, pulling it off and dropping it on the ground. As she smashed it with the heel of her shoe, a high pitch electronic whine escaped from the flower, causing Clark to grab his ears and cringe, and then the sound disappeared into nothingness.

“What’s the matter?”

Clark picked up the flower and looked at it, really looked at it. There at the center, disguised as part of the stamen was a small, microscopically small microphone in the shape of the smashed bat. Really? A bat? Can you announce your secret identity any louder there, Mr. Wayne? The flower was certainly bugged. Correction, it had been bugged. “Wayne,” he growled and then showed Lois the bug. She didn’t have his microscopic vision and couldn’t see its shape, but she could see enough to tell that it was a electronic listening device.

She nodded to the bouquet of roses. He scanned them. They were clean. “I should check the whole office to be on the safe side.”

Lois nodded again. “Um, Clark?” She held out the boutonniere. “Shall we do some target practice?” she asked under her breath.

He laughed softly, pocketing the flower. “When did he give it to you?”

“When I arrived at his office.”

Clark nodded and made a circle with his finger. He walked around the entire newsroom, scanning here, scanning there, scanning here and there, scanning everywhere. No more bugs. He sighed in relief and returned to Lois at her desk.

Lois was staring at the bouquet of yellow roses. Then she glanced at her watch, her brows coming together. “When did this get here?”

“Just before you did.”

“Clark…” His wife pulled the pieces of the note out of the trash and set them on her desk, trying to reassemble the pieces. “He may be rich, but there is no way this bouquet could have been prepared and delivered in less time than it took me to return to the office.”
A/N: I know some of you are going to differ with my opinion on Lex Luthor's background. Before I get comments such as "this isn't Smallville!" here's my opinion: It has always been my impression that Lex *said* he was a self-made man, not that he really was. He acted more like someone who had come from money or, had been used to having it around. Plus, he had been able to afford a house with staff for Lex, Jr. down in Australia for all those years, all those years ago. He’d have to have been a ‘self-made’ teenager! Or VERY much older than we were led to believe. Or married VERY well indeed when he married Lex, Jr.'s mom. (And no, you aren't self-made if you marry into money. wink )

Thank you for reading. Please post your comments (rebuttals) here.

Missing Lois - TOC

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Love seeing the contrast between Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent. At first I was a little annoyed with Jimmy but given what he saw, his actions do make sense. Love that Perry inadvertantly stumbled onto an explanation to fix things between she and Jimmy. But now she's out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Joan: I don't know. What's hotter fire or boiling oil?

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
“Do you call the owner of the Daily Planet by his first name?” she replied with a raised brow, putting Lois in her place.

Normally not, thought Lois. Lex, Leslie Luckaby, and James Olsen being the exceptions to the rule.
Which would actually make Mr. Stern the exception. /ignores those unnamed Upstairs who held the Planet before Lex.

“Mr. Wayne seems a little overly flirtatious. Does Wayne Enterprises have problems with sexual harassment?”
No. Mr. Wayne doesn’t mind his girls making a move on him.

“Most women like his attentions.” Margarite shrugged. “They all want to be the first Mrs. Bruce Wayne.
So, Mr. Wayne. And an uncounted number of all-female employees, all vying for his attention. Sounds like a…catfight waiting to happen. No wonder they need Kevlar vests.

If he liked women at all.
/Actually, this paragraph reminding me of LaraMoon’s vignette Family on the dark side.

Margarite laughed. “Of course. I’m Mr. Wayne’s Senior Personal Assistant.”
That’s a…coincidence. goofy

Was Bruce acting like a scuzzbucket on purpose?
Well…

I’m still single, officially. My girlfriend
Can we quote this to Penny, please? /waits for her to go all T-X on him.

is going to be Lois and CK’s new nanny while she goes to graduate school.”
Uuuuuuuuu

came from old money
Okay, I know you mentioned this, but since his unauthorized biographies all talk about this, wouldn’t it have also been big press back then had he been born wealthy? Or was Jimmy so completely in love with Lex, that he bought the phony stories and continued to gush about him, disregarded all counter-indicators?

“You’re a gullible, but goodhearted, idiot?” Lois asked.
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Michael: wave

Which would actually make Mr. Stern the exception. /ignores those unnamed Upstairs who held the Planet before Lex.
Yes, but it was funnier my way.

No. Mr. Wayne doesn’t mind his girls making a move on him.
clap

So, Mr. Wayne. And an uncounted number of all-female employees, all vying for his attention. Sounds like a…catfight waiting to happen. No wonder they need Kevlar vests.
Has to make a day at the office more exciting somehow. It'd be tendious if one had to actually do work with paper and numbers and stuff.

Huh. Although, what’s interesting is that she was sufficiently fluent in four languages just one year out of college. She most definitely seems to be worth her money.
I've met people who know more than one language by the time they've graduated from college. Usually come from a more diverse background. And are more traveled themselves.

Can we quote this to Penny, please? /waits for her to go all T-X on him.
Were you doing a wedding march for him and Penny already?

Okay, I know you mentioned this, but since his unauthorized biographies all talk about this, wouldn’t it have also been big press back then had he been born wealthy? Or was Jimmy so completely in love with Lex, that he bought the phony stories and continued to gush about him, disregarded all counter-indicators?
You completely lost me. a) why would Lex having come from money (one doesn't have to be a well-known Kennedy / Hilton / Vanderbelt to have money) been big press? And since there were no OFFICIAL bios on him, who said his big money didn't come from overseas somewhere? B)WHEN did Jimmy ever like Lex? Hoped to be acknowledged during HiM (didn't get it). But liked? He liked that Lex saved his job in BatP, but I think that was the closest he got.

The innocent meaning would be ‘she looks too young to have a kid.’
What? You thought sticking ones foot in his mouth was a truly Kryptonian trait?

Also, supposedly, Lois Lane, and Superman. But some aren’t yet sure about the first. /points to Lex/
I was going to say...

Really, Jimmy?
Pot, kettle, black. Have you met? laugh Jimmy's still a little angry. He was always so nice and sweet on the show, I thought I'd give him a new emotion to play with.

He wasn’t old, like Lex. He acknowledged my existence.”

Oh Jimmy…
And he bought me flowers and chocolates and stuff...

“Sorry. Lois had too much chilly for lunch.”
They were on their way to lunch... so breakfast?

Still not liking Jimmy.
Well, I can't please everyone.

/looks with feigned disinterest at burning fuse/
Hhhhmmmm. Do you think this might end with an explosion of some kind, Michael?

VirginiaR.
---
Columnist
Columnist
“Wouldn’t it be funny, if my middle initial was M? Then at least five of my cars would have my initials on them.” Bruce chuckled.
It would! He should have that legally changed. 

Lois nodded. She would never be able to tell Clark the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the honest truth.
Unless he already knows...

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
Unless he already knows...
Nah! Clark doesn't mind secrets. If I remember correctly, he liked to keep some from her as well. There's no way this will blow up in her face. laugh

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, but it was funnier my way.
*G*

It'd be tendious if one had to actually do work with paper and numbers and stuff.
Yeah.

Were you doing a wedding march for him and Penny already?
/shrugs, trying to do look adorable while doing so/

why would Lex having come from money (one doesn't have to be a well-known Kennedy / Hilton / Vanderbelt to have money) been big press
Just since it was big press that he wasn't wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just sounded pretty starry-eyed to me.
Okay, I forgot about that. But then Lex's popularity declined because Clark disliked him so, right? Right? wink

/points to foot-mouth-marker in Kryptonian genom. See, it's completely missing on human DNA, though. Which means us humans have to painstakingly learn to do this. And no matter how much we try, we'll never be as good in it
laugh Actually, in the human genome, it's usually present in the females. peep

VirginiaR.
---

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard