He needed to do this. And he needed to do it now. "Lo-"

"CK!" Jimmy sprang from nowhere and shoved a handful of papers at Clark. "Look at this, CK."

Lois stepped away. "Thanks for your help," she said over her shoulder.

Clark watched as she moved to her desk. Jimmy had launched into a garbled explanation of why these papers were so earth-shatteringly important. Clark dragged his eyes from Lois and used about ten percent of his attention to speed-read them.

Lois’s chair slid across the floor, and her knees disappeared under her desk.

Ten seconds.

She tapped her keys, logging in. Jimmy was hovering, expecting a response. "Thanks, Jimmy," Clark said. "This looks great. Good work. I'll get back to you."

Five.

Her mouse rolled across her desk as she opened her email account.

"Do you think you'll be able to use it in your story?" Jimmy asked.

Two.

"Sure," Clark said. "It's exactly what I need."

One.

"ARRGGGH!" Lois shrieked.

Part 2

Stifling the impulse to hide under his desk, Clark forced himself to walk over and face her. "Lois?" he said hesitantly.

But she wasn't looking at him; she was staring at her monitor with manifest resentment. Clark's hand instinctively reached out to touch her, but he snatched it back and buried it in his pocket.

Lois gestured furiously at her monitor, her mouth working, but no words forthcoming.

Clark turned to look at her screen.

There was a message.

But not *his* message.

The email server had gone down. They apologised for the inconvenience and regretted to inform their valued customers that accounts would be inaccessible until the problem had been rectified.

Clark felt a surge of relief - it hadn't been *his* message that had incited Lois's displeasure. He risked a tentative touch to her shoulder. "Perhaps it won’t take too long to get it back up," he said. "Were you expecting something in particular?"

"I’ve been waiting all morning for one of my sources to contact me," Lois said. She stood, suddenly purposeful. "Is *your* account working?" She charged over to his desk.

With a spurt of speed, Clark arrived first. "We use the same server, Lois," he said. "If you can’t access your account, I won’t be able to access mine."

"You could try," she threw at him. "Your account must have been working fine when you sent me your email."

"That was over an hour ago."

She shot him her why-are-you-being-so-uncooperative look. With a sigh of surrender, Clark opened his email account.

A message identical to hers popped onto the screen.

Lois hitched her thigh on his desk and eyed him speculatively. "What could possibly be in your inbox that you don’t want me to see?" she asked. "Do you have a story?"

I’m *trying* to ask you out.

The words buffeted through Clark’s mind. He opened his mouth, intending to give them release, but they were swallowed up by another idea. "Let’s have lunch," he said, trying not to sound too eager. "When we get back, the problem could be fixed."

Hopefully, more than her email account would be fixed. Hopefully, over the course of an entire lunch, he would be able to find a way to ask Lois for a date.

She straightened from his desk, still eyeing him with a bevy of unvoiced questions. "OK," she agreed.

Clark rallied his good humour and sent her what he hoped was a dazzling smile. His optimism lasted less than ten seconds – razed by the peal of her phone. Clark clenched his fists in frustration as Lois turned away to answer it.

From behind, he saw her nod a few times. Each gesture seemed to take her further away from him.

"You can’t come to lunch," he guessed disconsolately when she had replaced the phone.

"No – just the opposite," she said with a smile. "Let’s go."

Hidden deep in his pockets, Clark’s fists clenched again – this time in celebration. He restrained his outward response to a mere smile, and they moved to the elevator.

Attempts three and four – two more failures.

But attempt five was looking decidedly promising.

||_||

12:23pm

"That was Bobby," Lois said as the elevator doors closed, granting them privacy to speak. "He says Derrick Renouf is currently having coffee in the Cafe Grand with a woman who is not his wife."

"Derrick Renouf?" Clark questioned. "As in 'Bailey and Renouf Realtors'?"

"Yes. The company handling the property Calvin Montgomery has rented."

"Does Bobby think this is relevant to that story?" Clark said. "Or something else?"

"He didn’t say. Renouf is active in many charities and community initiatives. He always travels with his wife and has cultivated the reputation of a family man."

"But even if he is having an affair, it doesn't get us any closer to finding out why Calvin Montgomery moved to Metropolis," Clark said carefully.

"Montgomery refused my request for an interview," Lois said. "Perhaps Renouf will be more accommodating." She looked up at him with a smile. "Just get coffees, Clark. We can have lunch when we’re done."

Clark nodded, and when they arrived at the Cafe Grand, he ordered two coffees. Lois leaned in closer, and her breath floated across his ear. "They're behind us; slightly to the right."

They took a table near the door - Lois choosing the seat facing Renouf and his companion. She shuffled sideways, using Clark’s body as cover. "I can’t hear what they are saying," she murmured from behind her hand.

"How do they look?" Clark asked. "Like they are doing business?"

"No. They look more familiar than that."

"'Lovers' familiar? Or 'friends' familiar?"

"She just put her hand on his arm."

"What does that mean?" Clark asked, thinking of how often Lois put her hand on his arm.

"Nothing."

Nothing? The edges of his hope began to fray.

"Nothing that might get us a story," Lois said. "It means they’re comfortable together."

'Comfortable together.' Clark’s spirits deflated further. Yes, he and Lois had become comfortable together. Like two old friends. Friends who would never be anything more than friends - unless he spoke up. She wasn’t looking at him – her attention was directed beyond his left shoulder.

This was an opportunity.

Not ideal.

But she wasn’t angry.

Or exasperated.

Her phone wasn't ringing.

And they were alone.

Clark took a deep breath and plunged in. "Lois, would you go -"

"Ms Lane," came a deep voice from behind him.

Clark stood and turned.

"And you must be Mr Kent," Derrick Renouf said. "I've seen the posters."

Clark shook the businessman’s proffered hand.

Renouf indicated the woman beside him. "May I introduce Mrs Schoenmakers? Lois Lane. Clark Kent. Reporters with the Daily Planet."

*Mrs*. Clark sensed Lois's investigative instinct snap to attention. "Pleased to meet you, Mrs Schoenmakers," he said.

"My sister," Renouf added.

His *sister*. Clark's gaze moved from one face to the other; the family resemblance was obvious. He glanced to Lois for her reaction - but she had moved on already.

"I believe Mr Calvin Montgomery contacted your office regarding a property in Metropolis," Lois said.

Renouf smiled affably. "And I believe you know that our company does not divulge private client information to reporters," he said smoothly. "Good day, Ms Lane. Mr Kent."

Derrick Renouf and his sister walked from the cafe. Lois sank into her chair.

Clark sat beside her. "Lois, would you -"

"Lois!" From the back of the cafe came an excited shriek. "Lo-Lo!"

Lois stood. Stared. Her grin broke out. "Julie?" she gasped. "Julie Wallace?"

"Yes!"

The two women hugged vigorously. When they separated, Lois was grinning widely. "I can't believe it," she said. "Julie Wallace!"

"Not for much longer," Julie said, excitedly waving her left hand in front of Lois’s face – a left hand adorned with a sparkling engagement ring.

"You’re getting married?" Lois squealed.

Julie nodded. "Remember Dick Keaton?"

"Dick?"

"Yes! Dick Keaton! We’re going to be married next month."

Lois hugged her friend again and then turned to Clark. "Sorry, Clark," she said. "This is Julie Wallace. We went to high school together. Julie, this is Clark Kent, my partner."

"Your *partner*?" Julie asked with a meaningful hitch of her eyebrow.

"My work partner," Lois explained quickly. "We’re reporters for the Daily Planet."

"Oh, that’s right," Julie said. "I remember hearing that. I don’t live locally anymore. I’m just here for a few hours to do some wedding shopping." She flashed a smile at Lois. "Do you have some time, Lo-Lo? Lunch maybe? I’d love to catch up."

Lois paused, looking tempted. "You stay, Lois," Clark said. "I’ll go back to Perry and tell him the lead fizzled."

"Are you sure? We were going to have lunch."

"We can have lunch any day," Clark said. He nodded to Julie. "Nice meeting you, Julie." He dropped a five dollar bill on the counter and stepped out of the cafe. He didn’t need superpowers to hear Julie’s next words.

"Are you sure he’s only your *work* partner?"

"He’s a friend, too," Lois replied.

"Just a friend?" Julie persisted.

Clark continued walking away but he wasn't able to overcome the temptation to listen to Lois’s answer. "A very good friend," she said. "But a *friend*."

"Is he married?"

"No."

"Does he have a girlfriend?"

"No," Lois said. "Why? You’ve got Dick."

Clark heard Julie giggle. "Clearly you haven’t changed a bit, Lo-Lo," she said. "So engrossed in your career, you haven't even noticed the cute guy right next to you."

"He’s a wonderful partner," Lois said decisively. "And a true friend. We would be silly to risk that."

Clark reeled back his hearing to normal levels as disappointment abraded his heart.

Attempts five and six – fail and fail.

||_||

3:03pm

Clark walked across the ground floor of the Daily Planet building, noting that the coffee boy was gone. He waited for the elevator, his mind having already jumped ahead to Lois.

Would she have returned from lunch with her friend?

Had the email problem been fixed?

Had she received his gauche attempt to prepare the way to ask her out?

When he'd arrived back at the office two hours ago, Perry had sent him out with Jimmy to cover the demolition of an old building. Despite the engineer's profuse assurances that nothing could possibly go wrong – it had.

Which meant Clark had had to find enough cover to turn into Superman and then remove the debris from the neighbouring building – where it had no right to be. Even with super-speed, it had taken over an hour before he'd felt confident that the area was safe.

Clark sighed as the elevator rose towards his floor. The day was slipping away.

But if Lois were back at her desk, perhaps he could tell her about his story, and from there, it might be possible to squeeze an invitation into their conversation.

The elevator opened. Lois's desk was vacant. Clark skimmed the room, looking for her.

She wasn’t here.

His heart shrivelled a little.

He went into Perry’s office, and the editor looked up. "How did you go?" he asked.

"Good – in terms of the story," Clark replied. "Not so good in terms of a successful demolition."

"What happened?"

"Despite all the planning, a fair proportion of the debris from the demolished building fell onto the factory next to it."

Perry was immediately concerned. "Anyone hurt?"

"No – they’d had the sense to evacuate the factory, although the engineer had assured everyone that it wouldn't be necessary. Superman turned up and cleared away the rubble."

"Did Jimmy get photos?"

"Yeah. He should be developing them now. I’ll go and write it up." Clark stepped towards Perry’s door, and then, as if as an afterthought, added, "Where’s Lois? Still with her friend?"

"No," Perry replied. "She got another call from Bobby Bigmouth about Calvin Montgomery and why he's in Metropolis."

"She’s gone out?" Clark asked. "By herself?"

"She said it was nothing. Nothing dangerous."

"And you *believed* her?"

Perry nodded easily. "You worry too much, Clark. She’ll be fine."

"Where did she go?"

"She didn’t say," Perry said.

Clark left the editor's office. When he reached his desk, he called Lois’s cell phone.

"Lois Lane."

Good. She was safe. "Hi, Lois; it’s Clark."

"Hi, Clark," she said cheerfully. "What’s up?"

I’ve been trying to ask you out all day.

I was disappointed when I got in, and you weren’t here.

I was concerned when I heard you’d gone out alone.

I just want two uninterrupted minutes with you to ask if you would go on a date with me.

"Nothing," Clark said. "I was ... ah ... just wondering if you got anything concrete for your story."

"Nothing yet," she said. "It was supposed to be a meeting between two men known to have links with Montgomery's companies on the West Coast, but when I got there, it was two men with a vague likeness to them."

"Tough luck," Clark said, hoping his sympathy would survive the telephone connection.

"How did your story go?"

Now wasn’t the time to gloat. "Fine; I’m about to write it up."

There was silence for a moment. Then Lois said, "Was there anything else, Clark?"

She had just gifted him the perfect opening. All he had to do was say the words. Would you go out with me? Except he wanted to be able to see her face. If she declined, he had to know if she meant ‘no, never’ or ‘no, not now’. And if she accepted, he had to know if it were ‘yes, I’d love to’ or ‘yes, because I don’t know how to decline without hurting you like I did in the park that day.'

"No, nothing else," Clark said dejectedly. "See you when you get back."

"I'll be there soon. I'm in the cab now."

Clark sighed as his settled at his desk. Attempt seven ... It didn't rate as an attempt. But the result was the same. Fail.

||_||

3:18pm

The email server was working again. Clark stared at his screen, glumly reading the announcement that emails had been lost in the crash. *His* email had been lost – dissolved to nothing – just like all his attempts to ask Lois for a date.

His hearing locked onto her heartbeat. She was crossing the ground floor, walking past the cafe and to the elevator. He straightened his tie, adjusted his glasses, and ran a hand through his hair. He took a deep, steadying breath and waited, poised for her arrival.

The moment she came in – regardless of her possible frame of mind, regardless of how eager she was to begin writing – he was going to ask her out.

He was going to say, "Lois, I need to speak with you. I want to ask if you would go out with me on a date."

She stepped into the elevator. It began cranking through the levels.

This would be his moment.

Then he heard the sound that savaged all of his intentions. A police siren. And the police radio. He listened. A multi-car pile-up on the Port Bridge. The front car pushed into the barrier.

Clark sprang from his desk and just got to the stairs as the elevator doors opened. He really didn’t want to have to face Lois and stammer out another pathetic excuse for running away.

Ten seconds later, Clark - now dressed as Superman - hovered above the bridge. His eyes darted along the row of crumpled cars, x-raying through their rooves to check on the occupants. Finding no serious injuries, he swept over the water below. No cars had fallen from the bridge, and only one was in any danger of doing so – a sporty blue convertible at the front of the line.

Clark dropped down and gently eased it away from the mangled barrier. He moved to the driver’s window and found himself face to face with the coffee boy.

"Superman," the kid said. "What took you so long? Surely you weren’t sulking over our little squabble this morning?"

It occurred to Clark that if this kid had let Lois pass by unhindered all those hours ago, his question could have been asked and answered by now. "I didn’t know it was you when I pushed the car back onto the road," he said, deliberately being obscure as to whether this information would have resulted in a different outcome.

"Apology accepted," the kid chirped.

Clark bit back every one of the uncharitable comments that crowded into his mind. "Are you hurt?" he inquired coolly.

"Yes," the boy said. "My hair is ruined. I don’t suppose you carry emergency supplies of matte texturiser, do you?"

"What?"

"Matte texturiser. Surely you use it. I don't know anyone who would be seen in public -"

"Are you hurt?"

The coffee boy consulted his flashy gold watch. "I'm going to be late," he wailed. "I have an important event this evening. It starts in four hours, and it's going to take ages to clear this road." His eyes turned on Superman. "You could help," he said. "You could fly me home. This is a crisis. It's crucial I look my absolute best, and -"

Clark turned away and flew to the other end of the line of cars.

||_||

4:24pm

Clark tapped his foot impatiently, wondering how much damage he would cause if he pushed the elevator upwards to get it there faster.

Lois was at her desk. He could hear her heartbeat. It was steady, relaxed.

This was his chance.

The doors slid open with agonising slothfulness, and Clark marched out. Lois's dark head was bent over her desk as she scribbled notes on a piece of paper.

He ran through a quick rehearsal in his mind. She looked up. She met his eyes. She smiled. Clark felt his spirits lift a notch.

"Hi, Clark," she said, leaning back in her chair.

"Hi, Lois." Get straight to the point, he told himself. Don't risk being interrupted. "I've been wondering -"

"Lois!"

Her head spun to where Perry was storming out of his office, heading straight for them. Clark stared at his editor with abject disbelief.

"Yes, Chief?" Lois said.

"Do you have plans for this evening?" Perry asked her.

"Ah ... no, I don't."

"Oh, good," Perry said, looking relieved. "Cat just called in. She's come down with a cold, and she can't make the charity ball tonight."

"You want us to go?" Lois asked with a slight nod in Clark's direction.

"No," Perry said. "Just you. Jimmy's going."

"You want Lois to go with Jimmy?" Clark said with squeaky incredulity.

"The Daily Planet bought two tickets," Perry said. "It's for the children's hospital."

"Can't Ralph go?" Clark said, fully aware he was sounding downright cantankerous now. "Or Carl?"

Perry's eyebrow arched. "It's a ball," he said. "Dancing. It's customary for a woman to accompany a man."

Suddenly, Clark had a great idea. A charity ball wasn't exactly his idea of a perfect first date, but if he could be with Lois, nothing else mattered. "Does Jimmy want to go?" he asked. "It doesn't sound like his sort of thing."

"Ah." Perry tapped his nose. "By sending along a photographer, I'm guaranteeing the Daily Planet gets the best fashion photos for the social pages."

That explained why Cat had been supposed to go. "Lois is an investigative reporter," Clark said. "She doesn't write the social pages."

Perry turned to Lois. "Would you mind?" he asked. "The board feels it is important that we are seen to be supporting local charities - and there's none more worthwhile than the children's hospital."

Clark felt shame burn through him. Perry was right. This was for the kids.

"Sure I'll go," Lois said with a small smile.

"Thanks, Lois," Perry said, grinning. "And there *might* be a story in it."

"What?" she said with immediate interest.

"Well, I heard a whisper that Calvin Montgomery had bought tickets."

"Really?" Lois said, beaming. "Perhaps he likes to dance. It wouldn't be the first time I've conducted an interview on the dance floor."

Clark groaned in silent dismay. He had hoped that Lois would be on a date with him tonight. Instead, she would be dancing with some extravagantly rich guy from out of town.

"It starts at eight o'clock," Perry told Lois. "At the Regency Rooms. Do you want Jimmy to pick you up?"

Clark faded away to his desk. He turned on his computer and stared at the screen, wishing he could blur out the rest of the conversation. But he couldn't. Perry gave Lois the details; she jotted them down.

And every one of them rammed disappointment through Clark's heart.

"Can I leave now?" Lois asked. "I need to arrange an outfit."

"OK," Perry said. "I'm hoping Clark has brought me back something after disappearing an hour ago."

"Pile-up on the Port Bridge," Clark said woodenly. "No serious injuries. Superman freed the cars and cleared the road."

Lois shut down her computer and picked up her bag. "Tell Jimmy I'll be ready by 7:45," she said.

Clark's gaze followed her as she walked away. The elevator doors opened. Lois stepped in.

She turned. She looked in his direction.

Their eyes met.

The doors closed. His hopes lay in a shattered heap.

Attempt eight - the final failure.

||_||

7:05pm

Clark had met with Perry to discuss the draft of his weekend feature. He had submitted his story about Superman's rescue on the bridge.

Then he'd shut down his computer, pushed in his desk chair, mournfully contemplated Lois's deserted work space, and walked slowly home, his mind snagged a few blocks away where Lois would be preparing for her date with Jimmy.

Clark liked the young kid a lot, but Jimmy going out with Lois sat like flyblown meat in his gut.

Arriving at his empty apartment, Clark slumped on his sofa and tried to convince himself that he should cook a meal. But he wasn't hungry. The television remote control sat within reach but he ignored it. He needed to think.

He needed to push through the cloud of despondency and plan for tomorrow.

How did you ask your best friend on a date?

How did you attempt to guide a friendship to the threshold of something more?

What did Lois want?

Did she think about him that way?

Had she ever thought of him as a *man*, and not just a male person?

He was certainly aware of her as a woman. A very beautiful woman. Hot. Sexy. Stunning. Brilliant. Talented.

He remembered the anguish of her rejection in the park. That had hurt. Really, really hurt.

Did she still feel that way? Did she still *love* him, but only as a friend? Had there been any shift in her feelings for him? Had she accepted his lie - that he *hadn't* been in love with her?

Clark didn’t know ... and not knowing was driving him crazy.

He had to ask her out.

And if she refused ... well, at least he would know where he stood.

But how was he going to get it done?

He had tried all day, but every single attempt had been thwarted before he'd reached the question mark.

Right now, she was probably dressing for her date.

With Jimmy.

All Clark wanted was the chance to say six words to her. Seven, if he added her name.

Lois, would you go out with me?

What would she wear tonight? She would look beautiful; he knew that. Was she excited by the thought of a big occasion? Was she relishing the chance to dress up?

Would she - even for a second - be disappointed that he, Clark, wouldn't be with her?

If only he'd found a chance to ask her. If only she'd accepted his invitation. Then, perhaps he would be dressing right now - choosing a suit, knotting the new purple and gold tie he had bought especially for the occasion, dabbing on aftershave, polishing his shoes, combing his hair ...

... and praying no one would need Superman.

Clark hauled himself to his feet.

Superman.

If Clark Kent couldn't be Lois's date, at least Superman should go out and patrol.

Was it wrong to hope for an emergency? Nothing that hurt anyone, of course, but something that would take his mind from Lois and her date with Jimmy Olsen.

||_||

9:24pm

Clark hadn't meant it. In fact, he had pushed away the idea every time it had elbowed its way into his mind.

But, despite his best intentions, he was here.

Above the Regency Rooms.

Within one glance of spying on Lois.

He couldn't do it. He couldn't. He had made a commitment that he would never use his powers to intrude on another's privacy.

He forced himself to look across the glistening lights of the city, searching for anything that would distract him from what was happening below.

His eyes volleyed back, lured like metal to a strong magnet.

Then his brain tossed up an idea.

Clark Kent couldn't go to the charity ball uninvited. But Superman could. Every charity event welcomed Superman. He had hundreds of invitations every week.

He could walk in and check on Lois. It wouldn't be spying. Everyone would see him. That wasn't really spying.

Clark landed at the door of the Regency Rooms.

He strolled into the foyer in his steady Superman stride.

The security guards at the door to the ballroom smiled with delight and gestured for him to enter.

He did.

The huge, majestic room was bustling with people.

Music from the band augmented the exuberant atmosphere. The dance floor was crowded with couples having a good time.

Where was Lois?

Was she having a good time?

Had she given him one thought?

Then he saw her.

On the dance floor.

In the arms of the coffee boy.