Author’s Note: From now on all action takes place in canon dimension. The Clark is canon Clark (unless otherwise noted). The Lois… well, the first Lois we meet is actually the substitute Lois taken from the past to hold the place of his true Lois, who currently is still in alt-dimension.

For a plot summary, please click here: Synopsis of Chapters 1 - 7

Missing Lois - TOC

Where we left off in Chapter 8, Part 1...

As Martha cleared up the left over take out cartons, Lara woke up and Clark ran upstairs to retrieve her. They moved out to the living room, where Clark fed Lara her bottle and Lois served the fortune cookies with coffee.

“ ‘You will go on a grand adventure’.” Lois laughed. “That’s for sure. Clark?”

“I have my fortune, right here,” Clark said, holding up Lara.

‘That man loved their daughter so much,’ she thought with a smile. “Okay,” Lois said aloud, cracking open his cookie. “‘Happiness is your forte.’ They know you so well, Clark.” She fed him his cookie. “But it’s still not a fortune. I hate that.”

“I’ll take it.” Her husband smiled at her. “I am happy.”

Lois kissed his cheek and laid her head against his arm.

There was silence for a few minutes as the exhaustion of the day hung over them. Jonathan slapped his hands on his knee. “Come on, Sam, let’s get the stroller together.”

Clark passed Lara to Lois to finish feeding her.

“Is anyone going to mention the four hundred pound alien in the room?” Ellen asked out of the blue.

Part 2

“What?” gasped Martha.

“Excuse me?” Clark asked from the closet, where he was retrieving his toolbox.

Jonathan’s and Lois’s jaws dropped. Sam just stared at her.

“It’s clear to me and to Sam that Lara is not human.”

“What?” gasped Lois, this time, holding her daughter closer.

Clark dropped the toolbox on the floor next to his father and instantly moved next to Lois, surrounding both her and Lara with his arms.

“What are you saying, Ellen?” Martha asked.

Her mother rolled her eyes. “The baby blanket with the big yellow ‘S’ on it for starters. The card which was watermarked with the ‘Carter’ brand logo on the back, obviously from Earth. And the fact that the baby’s heart rate is twice as fast a human baby’s. Are you telling me that I’m the only one who noticed those things?”

Clark and Lois looked at one another and then over at the Kents. Lois hadn’t thought about the card the note was written on. Clark must have noticed Lara’s heart rate, but hadn’t mentioned it. They all knew what the ‘S’ blanket meant.

“Ellen, this isn’t the time,” said Sam.

“When is the time? When Lara starts flying around the living room?”

“Mom! That’s not going to happen,” Lois said, looking over at Martha. Was it?

“Do you want my opinion?” Ellen said and then gave it without waiting for an answer. “I think this baby is Superman’s and Ultra Woman’s.”

Clark covered his mouth with his hand as he chuckled, relaxing.

Lois pressed her lips together, so her smile wouldn’t be so noticeable. “Really, Mom?”

“I’m not an idiot, you know. Ultra Woman showed up that one week, then disappeared. It was obvious to me, Superman was smitten with her. Wasn’t it obvious to you?”

“Completely smitten,” whispered Clark, kissing Lois’s cheek.

“Who knows how long the gestation period is for Kryptonians? Do you?”

Lois glanced at Clark and he shook his head. “Not really my area of expertise,” he replied.

Jonathan cut open the stroller box with his pocket knife and started laying out the pieces.

“You two are his best friends,” her mother continued.

“We don’t know that for sure, Mom,” said Lois. “But, yes, we’re close.”

“He’d do anything for you?”

“Within reason,” answered Clark. “But giving us his first-born child?” He shrugged.

“For safe keeping.”

“What do you mean, Ellen?” asked Martha. “If anyone could keep a baby safe, it’s Superman.”

“No offense to your friend, Lois, but Superman is constantly flying off, rescuing people, night and day. If he didn’t have anyone to look after that baby…”

“What are you suggesting?” asked Clark, getting more defensive than he should about this ridiculous line of questioning. “Are you suggesting that something happened to Ultra Woman? That she wouldn’t… didn’t survive the birth of their hypothetical child? That if she wasn’t around to care for it, that he would be a bad father? He would give up his child?” He stood up.

“No, not at all, Clark…” backtracked his mother-in-law. “It was just a theory.”

Clark shook his head and walked out of the room.

“Clark! Clark!” Martha followed him into the kitchen.

“Great. Good going, Mom.” Lois shook her head. “Clark idolizes Superman.” She looked over her shoulder towards where he had disappeared. Her mother’s theory had really upset him.

“I didn’t mean…” Her mother sat down next to Lois. “I meant he trusts you. If he ever had to… He knows you would keep his child safe. I meant we all would keep his child safe. I would never…”

Lois patted her mother’s hand, but she didn’t know what to say to her mother’s theory. The other Clark had no family. If something happened to his Lois in childbirth, if she didn’t survive… would he have to choose between being Superman versus taking care of his own child? A tear crept down her cheek. She hoped that he would never have to make that decision.

Martha pushed open the kitchen door. Clark was staring out the window. “She was just rambling, like Lois does sometimes. It didn’t mean anything.” As she neared him, she realized his eyes were damp. “Clark?”

“I love Lara so much. She is a part of me. A part of Lois. I would give up almost anything to protect her. Does she think that Superman would give up his own child over his job, does she, Mom? Is that what she thinks of me?”

Martha wrapped her arms around him. “If she knew your secret, Clark, she never would have said those things. You know that. Not after watching you with Lara. No one would ever believe that of you.”

“I know that, Mom. I know I overreacted. It was more about what she said about Ultra Woman… If she died in childbirth… I…” He swallowed. “Lara is my child, Mom. I know it. I feel it.”

“What do you mean, Clark?” she whispered, resting her head on his arm.

“I mean she’s my biological child, Mom.”

“Clark. How is that possible? Lois…” She faced Clark to her. “Clark, you didn’t?”

“No, Mom. I didn’t.” He shook his head. Staring his Mom in the eyes, he said, “Mom, remember, please. Remember last summer. Please, I need someone I can talk to about this. Do you remember Lucy?”

Martha tried hard to know what he was talking about. “Lois’s sister?” she finally said.

His face fell. That wasn’t the correct answer. “Do you remember coming to Metropolis last summer?” He spoke softly. “You visited Lois, she shared some big news… Does any of this sound familiar, Mom?”

“I visited Lois last summer?” she asked, perplexed. That sounded familiar, but not at the same time. “What did I do here?”

“I don’t know, Mom. I don’t know.” He shook his head.

“Have I lost my mind?”

“No, Mom. You and Dad and Ellen and Sam had your memories erased.”

“Oh, right, I’m sorry, Clark. Did I forget something important?” she asked.

“Never mind. It doesn’t matter.” He hugged her. “I love you, Mom. I’m just worried about Lois, that’s all.”

“She’ll be fine. Motherhood can be a tough adjustment for some women. She’ll come around. Lois can survive anything the world throws at her, you know that.”

Clark continued to hold Martha, kissing the top of her head. “Thanks, Mom. That’s what I wanted to hear.”

Martha patted her son’s hand. She knew there was something else. Something important. It was on the tip of her tongue, but then it was gone.

Clark wanted to march into the newsroom on Monday morning, pass out pink bubble gum cigars and announce to everyone he was a Daddy! He wanted to show a photograph of Lara to Perry and Jimmy and anyone else who wanted to see it and take six weeks of paternity leave… did they even have that at the Planet?... Technically, it would be adoption leave, wouldn’t it?

Lois asked him to hold off. Wait. They needed to organize their lives first, organize their story, before announcing to the world that someone had left them a baby on their doorstep. She would call in sick this week from work. Clark would go in and file their stories. Do some research. See if anyone was missing a baby. See if any babies matching Lara’s description had been kidnapped recently.

His wife knew and Clark knew that Lara was theirs and they weren’t ever giving her back. But they were big enough names in Metropolis, that if it were announced that they had found a baby, and Perry would insist on putting it in the paper, people would come out of the woodwork to claim that the child was theirs. They didn’t want that to happen. They didn’t want the headache of an official investigation. They didn’t want Lara examined by independent doctors. They didn’t want to chance that some government official would try to take their daughter away. She was theirs and they weren’t going to let anyone take her away from them. Ever.

Clark’s smile got bigger and bigger and bigger as Lois had continued her rant at four this morning, shaking her empty Double Fudge Crunch Bar wrapper at him. She loved Lara and she would fight to the death to protect her… even from their well intentioned friends at work. He agreed with her and took her back to bed to get some sleep.

Lois sighed. A moment to herself. Then the guilt set in. She almost stopped her parents and the Kents from taking Lara for a walk. Almost stopped them because she didn’t want to be away from her daughter that long. She missed Lara already. When were they going to return? Rubbing her eyes, she yawned. She missed sleeping through the night, too. Who knew a baby, however old she was, would wake up every four hours wanting a bottle or a diaper change or a snuggle? Who knew that once last night, Lois would be standing at her bassinette waiting for her daughter to wake up because she couldn’t wait to snuggle with her?

Lara was so beautiful. She reminded her of Clark, especially around the eyes. Her husband and daughter had bonded at first touch, she thought with a smile, before the first touch. His eyes lit up at first sight. Love at first sight with his daughter. How could she not love Clark more whenever she watched them together? It was almost as if they could read each other’s thoughts.

Right. Lois shook her head. She had to get dressed. She couldn’t walk around all day in her underwear. This was the first moment all weekend that she had had to herself. The doorbell rang. She shook her head again. So much for her moment alone. Throwing on her robe, she skipped down the stairs.

“Martha,” Lois called out. “Did you forget your spare…?” She opened the door and stared into the eyes of H. G. Wells.

“Mr. Wells?” She closed her robe tighter. “What are you doing here?” Then reality struck her. “No! Absolutely not. You cannot take my daughter. We just got her. No!”

“Lois, I’m not here for your new daughter,” Mr. Wells informed her. She released a breath and stepped aside to let him in. He paused. “I would like to introduce you to her birth mother, though.”

An icy chill ran down Lois’s spine. Goose bumps on goose bumps broke out over her arms. “Just me? You don’t want to introduce her to Clark?”

Mr. Wells smiled. “They’ve met.” He stepped away from the door and from the alcove, she watched herself walk in. Lois covered her mouth and took a couple of steps back.

“You’re… You’re…” She swallowed, finding her nerve, after the initial shock. “Lois.” She practically spit the name out of her mouth. Two seconds later, Lois struck her double across the face. “That’s for kissing my husband.”

Mr. Wells seemed a little perplexed by this turn of events.

The other Lois rubbed her cheek with a nod. She glanced over her shoulder as if she heard something and pressed her lips together. “I could see how you would feel that way, but I’m not the other dimension’s Lois, I’m you.”

“Me?” Lois gasped. “From the future?” She nodded, looking at herself head to toe. “I age well.”

The other Lois glanced over her shoulder with a glare again. Had she lost her marbles?

“Wait a minute...” Lois said as the lightning bolt of realization struck. “I’m Lara’s mother? I will give birth to her?” She stumbled backwards and sat down on the stairs.

“Yes…” Mr. Wells started to say, before she raised her hand.

“Don’t tell me yet.” She took a deep breath and stared at her future self. “Who is her father?”

“Clark.”

Relief washed over her, but Lois wanted to make sure there was no confusion. “My Clark?”

The future Lois nodded. “She was conceived the night before he left for New Krypton.”

“That’s impossible.”

Mr. Wells and her future self glanced at one another and then looked back at Lois. “As you know, Lois, I dislike using that word,” said Mr. Wells at last.

“But that’s the past!” Lois stammered.

Her future self nodded.

“I would remember if he and I…. Oh!” Lois gasped and then swallowed. “I didn’t have a relapse of amnesia last summer, did I?”

They both shook their heads.

Her future self knelt down next to Lois. “Do you remember kicking Lex in the face after he gave you that shot to your throat?”

Lois nodded.

“Then you ran off and saw Superman arguing with the clone?”

Lois nodded, again.

“He flew off and you tried calling to him, but he didn’t hear you?”

“No! He did hear me. He came back for me, swooped down and took me up into the clouds…” That was the last memory she had before her blackout.

Her future self opened the front door and Superman walked in. “Clark! Tell them how…” She looked closer at him. He didn’t stand like her Superman; he almost seemed embarrassed. “Clark?” She covered her mouth. “Oh, God! You’re the other Clark.”

He nodded.

“But he… we…” Lois’s eyes went wide as he glanced away. She point at him. “You kidnapped me!”

“I rescued you,” the other Superman corrected.

“Well, yes, but without my permission,” she argued.

Other Superman smiled. “I need permission to rescue you, Lois?”

“No.” Lois pouted rubbing her forehead. “I don’t understand.”

“I needed someone to be me, here, while I was pregnant in the other dimension. So, we borrowed you from that moment in time.”

“What? I’ve… you’ve been in the other dimension while I was here?” Lois’s head was whirling.

Her future self nodded.

“Why?”

“You know why, Lois,” her future self told her. “It’s the same reason you kept telling Clark that you never made love with him before the honeymoon.”

“The curse?” Lois murmured.

“The curse.”

Lois turned to Mr. Wells. “I thought the curse was instantaneous, like that newspaper article you showed me of me dying of some illness during our honeymoon.”

Mr. Wells thought for a moment before speaking. “Well, yes. I have been trying to figure that one out myself. I believe since technically you will have already consummated your love with Clark – on numerous occasions, having been married to him all this time – when he consummates with you for the first time before he left for New Krypton, it alters the curse from a quick death to something else. It draws out the torment by separating the two of you before one of you dies.” Mr. Wells turned to the other Superman. “Although, that doesn’t explain what happened between you and your Lois.”

The other Superman shrugged with a glance at her future self, who swallowed and placed a smile on her face.

Lois’s brows came together as she stared at them. They knew something; they knew why. But another detail was nagging her more. “How can Clark make love to me for the first time, but it not be the first time for me? It’s the past. It’s already happened.”

“Just like you consummated with Clark the first time on your honeymoon, when it wasn’t his first time with you,” Mr. Wells explained. “Time travel.”

“But that would mean… “Lois’s eyes went wide as the realization of what they were telling her sunk in. “You want me to go back to my past?”

They nodded.

“No way! Absolutely not!”

Her future self sighed. “I understand how you don’t want to go back to your rightful spot in history. Believe me, I do. But if you don’t go back, you don’t make love with Clark, Lara doesn’t get conceived and I no longer exist to give birth to her.”

“How can I go back? I know what the future holds for me.”

“If we return you to the exact moment that Clark here rescues you, perhaps even a few moments before, you will then strike your head and …”

“Become Wanda Detroit with no memories.” Lois rubbed her head. It was already starting to throb. “And if I don’t go back, I’m essentially erasing Lara from time?” She swallowed as they nodded.

Lois loved her daughter more than anything. She didn’t want to become Wanda Detroit or have amnesia or crush Clark by falling for Dr. Max over him or live through Zara and Ching taking him to New Krypton. On the plus side, though, she would get to make love to Clark for the first time all over again. And she would get to feel Lara – their love personified – growing inside her. She placed a hand over her tummy. How could she say no? She looked at her future self. She would survive to return home to Clark. If she went back in time, she would someday come back to this moment in time and have both her Clark and her Lara, who would be her natural daughter.

Lois nodded. “All right. On one condition. I want to see Lara one last time before we go.” She turned to the other Superman. “Can you fly me to her? She’s gone for a stroller ride in the park with her grandparents.”

The biggest grin spread over his face as he seemed to light up from inside. “I thought you’d never ask.”

“Oh, that’s right. You’ve met her.”

The other Clark nodded. “She’s like a daughter to me. I’ve missed her so much these last few days.”

Her future self rested a hand on his arm. “We all have, Clark.” The movement was tender, close.

Lois looked suspiciously at her future self. “Are you sure you’re me?”

“I have all your memories,” her future self replied.

“Where did Clark and I spend Valentine’s Day?”

The future her smiled. “That’s Lara’s birthday.” She sighed. “That island in the Pacific. He made us wear that god-awful blonde wig.”

The other Superman glanced at her. “You didn’t tell me about that.”

Her future self raised a brow. “I don’t tell you everything, Clark.”

He looked down. “You used to. God, I couldn’t get you to shut up.”

Her future self laughed. It was clear to Lois that she and this other Clark had become close. Lois stared at them and swallowed. How close? A little doubt tugged at her chest. She had always felt drawn towards the other Clark. Could she spend a year with him without her Clark around? Could she do this? Could she go back in time, leave her Clark, knowing… knowing, what exactly? She shook that thought out of her head. Of course, she could. For Lara.

“Clark. Do you have the bag?” her future self asked.

Bag? The other Superman produced a garment bag.

“What’s this?” Lois asked, unzipping the bag. She stepped back in disgust. “I don’t want to wear that! Lex made me wear that.” Lois looked at her future self and she nodded. Oh, yeah, Lois thought with a sigh. Ugh. For Lara. Lois could do this for her daughter. Taking a deep breath, Lois took the garment bag and went upstairs.

As Lois pulled the pink pantsuit out of the bag, her hands began to shake. She took another deep breath. Glancing at the telephone next to her on the bed stand, she picked it up and dialed.

Clark Kent.

Her heart filled with love. She loved him so much. He positively glowed around his daughter. His daughter. She continually had to tug his arm to keep his feet on the ground.

Hello?” Clark repeated.

“Hi, Clark.”

Lois! Is everything all right?

“Sorry, Clark. I just missed you.”

He sighed in relief. “You missed me?

“Always,” she whispered. “I just needed to hear your voice.”

Is everything okay, Lois?” He sounded concerned.

“Yes, of course. I’m not allowed to miss you?”

I miss you too, honey.

She wiped a tear from her cheek. “I love you, Clark. You know that, don’t you?”

Lois?

“Sorry, a bit of time to myself and I get a little emotional. It must be the lack of sleep.”

He chuckled. “I know what you mean, but she’s worth it.

“She sure is.” Lois smiled. She would do anything for her child. Her child. “I better let you get back to work.”

Okay. Love you.

“I love you, too,” she said, hanging up the phone. She took a deep breath, staring at the phone. Would Clark even notice a difference? Would her husband know that her future self was not the woman he had kissed goodbye that morning? Standing up and wiping the tears from her cheeks, Lois pulled the pink suit from the garment bag. Ugh. Lex Luthor. How had she ever agreed to marry that man?

Clark released a breath. “She called Kal.”

“I know,” Lois replied. She was walking around her townhouse, touching everything as if she was seeing it for the first time. “This is such a strange feeling. Knowing everything, yet not.”

“How did you know?” Clark asked. “About the phone call?”

She touched her ear.

“Really? Still?” He was surprised. He figured Ultra’s super blood would have been diluted by now.

Lois shrugged. “I can’t hear the people down the block or across town like you can.” She picked up a photo of her Mom and her. “Be careful, Clark. My mother suspects you might be Lara’s father.”

“Me?” Clark gasped. “How does your Mom know about me?”

Lois chuckled. “Superman. She saw the blanket that you gave Lara. She thinks Superman and Ultra Woman are Lara’s parents.”

He grinned. “We’d gladly take her.”

Lois rested a hand on his chest with a smile. “I know. We would name you guardians, if we knew how.” He covered her hand with his. She really had to stop touching him.

Mr. Wells cleared his throat and Clark took a step away from Lois, letting her hand fall. “Clark. Lois. I’m going to go get the time machine ready.” Their comfort level with each other was making him uncomfortable.

Hopefully Mr. Wells hadn’t figured out why the Lois from his own dimension hadn’t died from the curse right away. Because Clark had already made love to her in the form of this Lois. Oh God! Had she almost died on the birthing table, not because of the curse with her Clark, but because of making love to him? It had never occurred to him before that maybe they had freed her from the curse with Kal only to saddle her with a separation and death because of making love to him.

“Clark?” Lois was staring at him. “Are you all right?”

He nodded, not wishing to speak. His flip-flop heart seemed to be skipping a beat.

“Five minutes, Clark. That’s all we can give her with Lara. We can’t chance this dimension’s Superman seeing you,” Mr. Wells was saying.

“He’s at the office,” Lois reminded him. “My stand-in just spoke with him.”

“Jolly good. Perhaps you can call him when they leave here, keep him occupied for another five minutes.”

Lois smiled a smile that lit up her face. “I can do that.”

Something tugged inside Clark’s chest. He didn’t want Lois to make love with Kal. Kal was Lois’s husband. Of course she wanted him. Clark cleared his throat. It didn’t mean he had to like it.

“Ten minutes, Clark. Five more here. That will give me time to get back to the time machine. And five minutes with Lara. Then we really ought to go. We can’t have two Supermen seen in Metropolis at once.”

“I know, Mr. Wells.” Clark swallowed. Five minutes. Then he would never see Lois again.

Lois hugged Mr. Wells. “Thank you for saving my life, Lara’s life, and Superman’s life. You’re a true hero.”

Mr. Wells seemed uncomfortable with all that praise.

“Don’t take his the wrong way, Mr. Wells,” Lois continued. “But I hope I never see you again.”

He grinned. “I might stop by for tea, sometime, if that’s all right. Check and see if you’re all right.”

“Just for tea.” She smiled.

“Clark.” Mr. Wells nodded, heading out the door.

Lois exhaled as soon as he was gone. “This is starting to feel real, Clark. Like I’m really home.”

Clark wanted to feel happy for her and he guessed a little bit of him was happy that this danger magnet was Kal’s problem again. Mostly he felt a hole in his chest that wouldn’t heal soon. This Lois was still his best friend.

“I’m scared, Clark. I’ve never felt scared like this in my life.” Lois reached out her hand and he took it, pulling her into his arms.

Clark was scared, too, though he didn’t know why. Kal would protect her with his life. “Yeah, big old scary Kal, who loves you more than anything. A daughter who adores you. Parents and in-laws to help you out. A job you love and where you’re respected. Friends. Sounds like a scary life.”

Lois slapped him on the chest, gently. “I’m nervous about seeing Kal… Clark, again. It’s been a year. We weren’t even married yet when I left. What if he suspects I’m not the same woman he kissed before heading off to the Planet this morning?”

“You promised me you would tell him, everything,” Clark said, holding her. “Well…”

She smiled. “I will. Almost everything. I won’t tell him what would have happened; I can’t.”

Clark nodded. Kal wouldn’t want to know that, didn’t need to know. He wished he didn’t know it himself.

“And I won’t tell him about us.”

Clark held her tighter. “What us? There’s only me and you and Ultra Woman.”

“And Clark Kent. You can’t forget him.”

“And Lucy El, Kal-El’s wife.”

“How many of us were there in this relationship?” Lois laughed. “It was a crazy year.”

“It was.” Clark loved it when Lois laughed. She hadn’t done much of that lately. He kissed the top of her head. “Ultra and I are going to take a vacation when I get back. Try to get used to the peace and quiet of you being gone.”

“You mean Lara. I’ve been pretty quiet lately,” she whispered, leaning her head against his ‘S’.

Clark ran a hand over her hair. Lois was better, not so depressed. But the sadness was still there. He had hoped going home would cure her, but now he wasn’t sure. What was eating her up inside? “I don’t know if we’ll ever get used to Lara being gone. She’s been a part of our life for so long now. There will always be a hole where she belongs.”

Lois stepped back and touched his face. “You’ll be a great Dad someday, Clark. I can just picture you and Ultra and baby Wow Amazing flying through the air together.”

Clark laughed as only she could make him laugh, taking her hand in his. “Wow Amazing, huh?”

“That’s pretty awful, I admit.” Lois chuckled. He loved to see her smile. He picked her up and kissed her. He hadn’t meant to. He had told himself specifically not to, not with the substitute Lois in the house. She resisted a moment, then kissed him back. It was a last kiss, a kiss goodbye and they both knew it. He set her down and she leaned against his shoulder. “Thank you for everything, Clark.”

*** End of Part 2 ***

Comments

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.