Green-Eyed Monster TOC

Where we left off in Part 25...

He shrugged. “Plus, you were holding hands with Dan Scardino. You’ve clearly moved on.”

“He took hold of my hand to stop me from leaving, Clark,” Lois growled. “This is the first time I wish you actually had been spying on me. Then you’d know the truth instead of jumping to your own idiotic conclusions.”

“I’m not an idiot, Lois,” he snapped back defensively.

“I know that! Which is why I want you to stop acting like one,” she yelled.

“Are you telling me that you’re not attracted to that guy?” He raised a skeptical eyebrow at her.

“Of course, I’m attracted him. He’s Dan Scardino! Movie star!” Lois told him. “But do you really think I’d be interested in that wannabe when I have the real thing?”

Clark threw up his hands in disbelief. “Well, if it’s not him. Maybe it will be the next guy who makes eyes at you. Who knows – with my luck – Lex Luthor will be swept off his feet by your beauty. How am I supposed to compete against his money and influence and power?” he fired back.

“Yeah, he probably will. I seem to have that effect on men,” Lois replied tersely, her hands on her hips. “But that doesn’t mean I’ll fall for him, does it? Hello? He’s twice my age! For some inexplicable reason, I love you. If I was going to leave you, I’d have done it by now.”

Clark crossed his arms and silently watched her.

She started to pace, muttering to herself, “You’re exactly how he described you. He was right about everything else; of course, he would be right about this too.” She looked fiercely into his eyes, pointing her finger at him. “Do you know how many times you’ve broken my heart for my own protection? Not to mention all the lying? For a man who wants to be known for being truthful you’d think you would have started with me! The only reason I’ve stuck around this long is that I know this must be some crazy phase you’re going through. Because there is no way I’d marry and have children, let alone start the beginnings of an Utopian society, with a man as jealous, obstinate, and blind as you’ve been acting lately.”

Clark froze and stared at her, his mouth agape.

Part 26

Thursday –Late afternoon (continued)

Lois rolled her eyes. “But I’m starting to think it isn’t a phase. That this insane man you turn into from time to time is the real you.”

“You’re right, Lois,” Clark admitted, knocking some of the fire out of her.

“I am?”

“I have been an idiot. A stupid, blind, obstinate, jealous idiot and I will understand completely if you never want to have anything else to do with me.” Suddenly Martyr-Man was gone and Self-Confident Man was back. “But I’m asking you to please give me one more chance to prove to you that I’m the man you want and deserve.”

Lois just stared at Clark. He looked almost like a different man. Something in the way he held his shoulders slightly back, his spine straighter. A light in his eyes that hadn’t been there before, started to glow and the sadness she had seen pouring out was gone. She didn’t know what effected the change, but it was startling. The gaze that held hers went down deep into her soul, setting it on fire, while at the same time, dousing out the flames of her anger. The quitter was gone and the hero now stood before her.

Her heart began to race, her knees turned to jelly and her brain had been erased just by this one look. Lois finally blinked once and then again as she stepped towards him. With that one little movement Clark wept her into his arms and kissed her.

It was not an “I’m Sorry” apology kiss.

It was not a “Forgive Me” kiss.

It was not even a soft and tender “I Love You!” kiss.

It was a nerve-ending exploding, Lois’s inner core of womanhood melting, “I’m Going to Make Love to You Until You Hit a High ‘C’ with Pleasure Because I Hunger for You and Desire You and Want to Love You More than You’ve Ever Felt or Ever Known You Could Feel” kiss.

Lois pulled herself out of his arms and stepped back, breathless and slightly dizzy as her gaze bore into his with disbelief. She stuck a finger in her ear and shook her head, trying to quiet her inner voice, which was still hitting that high ‘C’.

“Clark?” she said, finally able to speak.

“Yes, Lois?”

“Am I awake?”

A somewhat perplexed and amused smile came to his lips. “As far as I know, yes. Why?”

“Because the one time you’ve ever kissed me like that has been in my dreams, right before we’ve made love.” She took a deep breath and exhaled. “Because if this is real life and I’m awake, you better not use that kiss again until you’re ready to back it up with more.”

Clark stepped forward caressing her arm with his hand. “Duly noted.”

“Because next time I may not be able to stop myself,” she told him in earnest.

Clark placed a soft and tender “I’ll Always Love You” kiss on her lips, then murmured in her ear, “Then the next time I kiss you like that I better make sure I’m packing some precautions.”

Lois’s lips pressed together as she pushed him away. “I’m not kidding, Clark. If I hadn’t stopped us, we’d be buck-naked rolling around on the ground in the gravel right now.” She stomped off towards the old barn.

“Check. Precautions and a more comfortable locale. Got it.” Clark chuckled, following her.

She turned around and stuck a finger in his face. “I’m serious, Clark. You don’t know how close I was to ripping off your clothes,” Lois roared at him.

“Precautions, comfortable locale, and a change of clothes. Gotcha.” He nodded.

“Argh!” Lois shouted. “I’m still mad at you. How dare you make me want to make love to you while I’m angry.”

Clark gave her one of his sheepish “I Can’t Help Myself” shrugs.

And Lois screamed in frustration again. “I love you and want you so much, Clark Kent, I could overpower you in an instant and make you mine if you turn me on like that again. And don’t you think I couldn’t just because I’m not as fast or as strong as you.”

Clark gulped and nodded. “I believe you.”

“Good! Because I don’t want our first time to be a hormones-raging and we-can’t-control-ourselves boinkfest. Got it?”

“Precautions, comfortable locale, a change of clothes, and romance. Got it.” He grinned wickedly.

“Wipe that smile off your face right now, buster,” Lois said, turning to him and pointing her finger in his face once more. “Because there won’t be any marathon making love sessions unless you change your behavior.”

Clark opened his mouth only to have it covered by her fingers.

“Yes, I know. Food and water, too. Got it. Ha-ha. No more hiding from me?”

He nodded.

“No more jumping to conclusions. You think I’ve done something wrong, you ask me about it first,” Lois demanded.

Clark nodded again.

“No more telling me what to do. Just because you have super powers doesn’t make you in charge of my life and my decisions.”

He nodded again.

“No more flying off with Linda King.” Lois glared.

Clark lowered her fingers from his lips. “I was trying to get the media’s attention off you. I thought if Superman was seen with other reporters…”

“He would start to look like a fickle womanizing alien sex god?” Lois asked.

“No!” he gasped.

“That’s how he’s going to be portrayed if you don’t give him a more aloof, asexual personality pronto.”

“Well, the interview with Linda did get the ‘Lois Lane is dating Clark Kent’ quote out there,” he said defending his actions.

“She already stated as much in yesterday’s story, Clark. All I’m saying here is I want you to talk to all reporters equally at the scene and no flying off with anyone. Especially her.”

He nodded. “Noted.”

“And stop believing that I’m with you until something better comes along. I’m with you because I love you. When you’re not acting like a lout, you are the warmest, sweetest, kindest, most intelligent man of my acquaintance. I’m with you not because some man from the future said I would be. I’m with you because – for some reason I cannot fathom – being with you hurts less than being alone.”

Don’t forget that he’s sexy as all get out.

“What exactly did those men from the future tell you, Lois? I’m ready for you to tell me,” Clark said, taking hold of both her hands.

Lois took a deep breath. She had told him more than she had meant to already. Slowly, she exhaled.

“He said that I would marry a super strong, super fast, super man, who could fly without a plane. An alien from another planet with whom I would share a love so durable, so true, mothers would share the story with their children. Our love, your goodness, and that of our children would be so compelling that a Utopian society would be built to emulate it.”

“No pressure there.” Clark gulped.

Lois let go of his hands and turned to look at the old barn. “He also said that you would lie to me. Keep things from me and break my heart a thousand times while trying to protect me. That you would charm me with your politeness and manners.” Lois glanced back and saw Clark smile tenderly at her, relief in his eyes.

“And from all that, you thought it was me?” he teased.

Lois gave him a sour expression and turned away again.

How dare he make jokes while you’re yelling at him!

Clark wrapped his arms around her, pressing his chest into her back and resting his head on her shoulder. “Why didn’t you tell me?” he whispered. “Why did you let me believe you were going to leave me for another man?”

His breath in her ear was making her knees weak again. She leaned back, allowing him to hold her up. She melted into his warmth. “I didn’t know at first that you were Kal. I mean, I did, but then when you refused to admit it, I started to doubt myself. I tried to convince myself that Kal was your twin brother. I didn’t …” She swallowed.

“Like him? Want him?” Clark suggested.

“Oh, no! I hated myself because I was attracted to Kal. I thought I was turning into my own father. I couldn’t believe I would do that to you. I like you – the Clark you. I didn’t want to like Kal. I didn’t want Tempus to be right. It felt like by loving you I was allowing that man to have control over my life. I fought falling in love with you tooth-and-nail.”

Clark chuckled softly. “That, I noticed.” He kissed her cheek. “What changed your mind?”

“Who says I changed my mind, Clark?” she said, pushing away from him. She could feel him reluctantly letting her go. “Nothing's set in stone. That’s why I didn’t tell you. I don’t want you to think you can get away with murder and that I’ll still love you. Because I can still walk away, if you continue to act the way you have been.”

He wrapped his arms around her again. “I won’t. I’ll be the perfect boyfriend. I promise.”

Lois turned around and rested her head on his chest. “Just be yourself, Clark. I don’t want perfection. It’s okay to mess up. Just not in the ways you have been.” She placed a tender kiss on his lips. “Anyway, as I hear it, make-up sex is worth a fight now-and-again.”

Hey! I was going to say that.

“Are you sure… you still…” Clark swallowed. “… with me?”

Definitely.

Lois smiled. “I’m sure.”

Actually it’s a non-negotiable part of this truce. If he doesn’t make love to you soon, you’re out of here. Right? Lois? Right? Lois!

“I don’t want to hurt you,” he murmured into her ear.

“You won’t,” Lois reassured him.

“What if I lose control?” he asked.

“We’ll go slowly at…” She started to say and then changed her mind, pulling back to look him in the eye. “Clark? Have you ever lost control before?”

Clark blushed and broke eye contact. “That first time you kissed me at the store, I… uh…”

“Started to float?” she volunteered.

When Clark nodded, Lois grinned and gave him another kiss. “And here I thought it was you who made me feel that way, because you were such a good kisser.”

Clark returned her grin. “I am. No other man can actually make you float like me.”

Lois liked the way he was teasing her. She liked this open honest and confident Clark.

If just kissing you makes him float, what would real intimacy do?

She decided to keep this thought to herself. If Clark thought they might float while making love it might make him even more self-conscious.

“Whatever happens, happens, Clark. I trust that you won’t consciously hurt me.” Lois leaned against his chest to whisper in his ear, “If your kisses are anything to go by, you’ll probably be so wonderful you’ll never be able to get rid of me.”

3, 2, 1, Blast off!

“So are you ready for another one of those kisses?” Clark asked.

Told ya!

Lois patted his chest. “Down boy. This is neither the time nor the place.”

Clark pulled her against his chest and kissed her cheek. “Okay, you let me know when you’re ready and I’ll be ready,” he told her, but she heard a slight waver to his voice.

“You sure about that, Cowboy?”

“I’m willing to try anything to make you happy,” he replied. Then he added, “And keep you by my side.”

Oooh. My decision? Mmmm. You might live to regret that, Clark. So, let’s see. There seems to be a nice grassy area over behind the house… Lois? Now is good, right? How about now? Now? Now! I said, NOW! Argh! You’re not listening to me, Lois!

“Let’s wait until we’ve made it through the weekend at least and then see where we are. Okay?” Lois told him.

Wait? Her inner voice pouted.

“Make it?” Clark asked.

“No point in starting something if we all end up in jail,” she said with a sigh.

Even more reason to start right now.

“We’re not going to jail, Lois. If worst comes to worst – even though I earned that money fairly…”

Lois raised a brow at his word choice.

“… I would pay the money back. Somehow,” he said.

“Clark, for what do you need all that extra money?” she asked, realizing she had never brought up the topic.

“Rent.”

“You live with your folks, Clark,” she reminded him.

“To save money, not because I’m one of those guys who needs Mommy to do his laundry,” he clarified.

Lois pulled out of his embrace to take his hand as they walked. “Who does your laundry now?”

Clark laughed. “I do!”

Good for Martha!

“Glad to hear it.”

“I moved back in with my parents two years ago, so I could put my rent money towards the restaurant’s lease,” he explained.

“Why don’t your parents just raise the prices on the menu to cover the extra costs?”

Clark sighed. “They did, but they didn’t want to raise them so high that we lost our customers.”

“The café seems to be doing well. Why would your landlord raise the rent so much?” Lois shook her head.

“We were told land values in the neighborhood had gone up and, therefore, so did the taxes.” Clark pressed his lips together in annoyance. “But my guess is that he wants us to move so that he could demolish the building and pat his ego with another tower.”

“Whoa there, Clark,” said Lois, setting her hand on his chest. “Want to try that one again?”

“Lex Luthor owns the building,” Clark admitted with a sneer.

“Lex Luthor? The philanthropist and C.E.O. of Lexco?” Lois asked in surprise. “You’re acting as if this is personal.”

“It is personal for me. This lease is up for renewal again next month and we just know he’s going to raise it again. And we’re barely scraping by as it is, even with my extra jobs.” Clark sighed. “I’m going to need to find something that pays more than Daily Books but…”

“You’re not going to make me walk the streets, Clark,” she teased.

“What? No!” he gasped, so lost in his problems he didn’t recognize her joke.

“A joke,” she reassured him. “You have too many jobs as it is.” They were back at the old farmhouse. Lois climbed the front steps to the porch and sat down on the porch swing.

Clark gave her his panicked look again.

“What? Is it going to fall down on me?” she questioned him, holding out her hands.

He relaxed and followed her up the steps. “It might.”

“You want to do a structural test?” she inquired, pointing to his eyes.

Clark looked around for a moment and then sat down next to her. “What I want is another one of your kisses.”

“What?” she mocked surprise. “You prefer those to talking about Lex Luthor’s personal vendetta again the Kent family?”

Clark wrapped his arms around her pulling her close. “Well, when you put it that way…”

Lois giggled. “Clark!”

“No?”

Yes! Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!

“Yes!” After a minute, Lois giggled again.

“What?” he asked, between kisses.

“Nothing.” She waved it off.

“No? It was something. What?” Clark stopped kissing her to look her in the eye.

Lois blushed. “I was just wondering what it would take to make you float again? Or have you already become immune to my kisses?”

He grinned, slightly abashed. “Never! Just some self control.”

She set her hand on the blue lightning bolt on his chest of his MDS uniform. “How about… Oh, Clark. The truck! You’ve still got to return the truck!”

Clark sighed and then kissed her lightly. “Truthfully, I liked your idea better. But you’re right. Work first. Shall we?”

“How about you drop me off outside of town and meet me back here after returning the truck?” Lois suggested. “In an hour; say, at the park?”

“Do you think that’s a wise, Lois? Everyone will wonder how you got home so quickly from Metropolis,” he said as they went down the steps.

She looked at him mischievously. “Haven’t you been reading all the tabloids, Clark? I’m Superman’s girlfriend. I get around.”

Clark gave her a sour look.

“Fine,” she snapped, wrapping her arms around his neck for take-off. “Take me back to Metropolis. You’re absolutely right. It’s much too soon to meet my parents.”

“What? No!” He scooped her up. “I’m sure Superman would fly us out for that!” He appeared much too pleased by her suggestion and kissed her again.

“No. You’re right. It’s too soon. Maybe in five… no, ten years…”

“Lo-is,” Clark said exasperatingly as he blasted them into the air. “It’s a wonderful idea. I would love to meet your folks.”

No! Not the parents. Lois, what were you thinking? They’ll scare him off.

“Daddy’s a little over protective and… well, Mom’s a lush. How about we wait until after we’re married?”

“Married?” he shook his head. “I don’t remember a proposal.”

“Of course there was. Kal told me that you wanted to spend your life with me,” she reminded him.

Clark grimaced as they floated above the clouds. “Oh, that twin brother of mine. Kal’s always telling you my secrets.”

Lois laughed and kissed his cheek.

“But the truth of the matter is I’m still a free agent. Fate doesn’t have a hold on me. Maybe I won’t want to marry you after all,” he taunted her.

Not so funny, when he tosses your words back at you, is it?

Lois pinched her lips together. “Very funny. Maybe Lex Luthor will fall for me after all,” she said loftily. “And here I was thinking about inviting you back to my place tonight.”

He was only joking, Lois! And I know for a fact you weren’t thinking anything of the sort. You never listen to me.

“Truce!” Clark called, quickly setting them down in a patch of trees out of town. “How about we both take this one day at a time?”

“OK,” she replied, kissing him. “Neither of us is tied to destiny. Got it. So, it’s too soon to meet my parents.”

“I’ll still love you, Lois. Nothing will ever change that. Even meeting your folks,” he reassured her. “You still liked me after meeting my folks.”

Lois laughed. “How could I not? Actually, I liked you more after meeting Martha and Jonathan.”

He smiled. “I love them. And I’m sure I’ll love your folks too,” he told her, kissing her forehead.

She was beginning to regret her hasty joke. She had never planned on introducing him to them.

“One hour. The park in the center of town. See you there,” he said, before kissing her lightly and taking off into the air.

Thursday – Night

Clark brought them back into the alley behind his folks’ café. He had then popped his head in to tell his Dad he was taking their truck to drive Lois home. His Dad actually had asked him if he would be bringing the truck back that night. Subtle, Dad.

Yeah, you didn’t answer his question either, Kent.

Clark smiled. No, he had not. Lois was inside Daily Books grabbing her stuff that she hadn’t gotten earlier when she was playing his human necktie. He let his smile turn again into a silly grin. He loved that woman. How could he not? She knew him, understood him better than any woman – save his Mom – had. And Lois still loved him and desired him.

He couldn’t believe what an idiot he had been, being jealous of himself of all people. Tempus came from the future to convince Lois not to marry him. He, Clark Kent, was the man with whom Lois was destined to share true love. Him! Clark chuckled to himself. The thought had never even been a possibility in his mind. Duh! It seemed so obvious now. Why wouldn’t a crazy man from the future try and stop them from falling in love? He was Superman! Of course people even in the future would try and stop him.

If Clark were a stronger man – emotionally – he might even see this as a red flag. That being with him would put Lois in danger. But he wasn’t a stronger man, he knew he would do anything to make Lois happy and keep her safe and he knew – oh, what happy joy – that the best way to do that was to love her and be with her.

Oh, darn! his conscience muttered sarcastically.

Yes, being with him Lois would and had garnered attention that she wouldn’t have otherwise. But she was a strong woman – intelligently and emotionally – and she could handle it. Actually they made a very good match. He sighed. Together they made each other stronger. Together they could do anything. He liked that thought.

Clark was still nervous as hell about sleeping with her. Afraid what he might do. Afraid he might be too different – not physically. He knew physically he was almost identical to a human man – but what about the other stuff?

Lois told you that you and your children create a Utopian society based on your beliefs.

Yeah. No pressure there.

Clark had always wondered if he could have children with an Earth woman.

Well, that question answered. Precautions are a necessity.

Oh, gosh. He didn’t have any. He gulped. Perhaps he should go and run inside that convenience store there and get some. Oh, God. What would Lois think if she saw him? Of course, she had bought some herself before they had even kissed. Yes, he should go get some. He turned off the engine. That way they would be all set. Or would that offend Lois that he assumed she was ready? But if she wasn’t agreeable and she caught him buying them would that offend her into being even less willing? Or if she was ready and he didn’t buy any, then they couldn’t… No. It was better to be prepared, even if he wasn’t ready.

Ready? Of course you are, Kent. You’ve wanted this woman since you met her. Since you first shared lunch with her. You want this woman.

Clark knew that. He opened the door to his Dad’s truck and put his keys in his pocket. He could do this. He was just buying condoms. He had never done that before.

Actually, you did once before.

Don’t think of Lana. Lois was not Lana. She was better for him.

One foot in front of the other. Into the store. Exhale. Good. Oh, for goodness sake! Look at the selection! Sizes? They came in sizes? For her pleasure? That sounded good. Or was it too much? Edible? Eww. No. He thought not. Glow in the dark? What kind of whackos were out there? What kind had she bought? He would just get those.

Clark grabbed a box and took it to the counter. The old man at the register gave him a ‘good for you’ grin and Clark flushed with embarrassment. He would never buy anything at this store again. He would always be known as the man who bought condoms. And he definitely could never go into this store with Lois. Then the old man would know with whom Clark had used the condoms. Superman’s girlfriend! Oh, God! What was he doing?

He handed the man his money and got his change and his purchase in a plain brown bag. Oh, why did he feel so dirty? It was natural. Wonderful, even. And yet, he felt like he needed a shower after that experience. No. He would never buy anything there again. He wouldn’t be able to show his face in there again. Next time he had to buy condoms, he would fly over to Gotham City.

Next time?

Clark smiled as he walked out of the store. He liked that thought.

An arm encircled his waist and the most beautiful woman in the world kissed his cheek. “Ready?”

Absolutely not!

*** End of Part 26 ***

Part 27

Comments

Last edited by VirginiaR; 08/04/14 08:47 PM. Reason: Fixed broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.