Part 3

After putting in another eight hours at the Daily Planet, Lois arrived home and tossed her handbag on the coffee table. After kicking off her shoes, and getting into more comfortable clothes, she collapsed on the couch and thought about her day.

Clark had acted strange at work today. Even after he had brought her the coffee and plant, he continued to refresh her cup and greet her with a smile. He hadn't been that attentive to her since... before her first day at the Daily Planet - right before Cat made that scene in front of everyone, and right before she totally clammed up and ruined everything.

A knock on the door startled her out of her thoughts. Who could this be? Couldn't be Kal; he comes through the window. She hopped off the couch and padded over to answer the door. When she looked through the peephole, she was astonished to see Clark on the other side.

"Clark?" Surprise rose in her voice as she opened the door. "What are you doing here?"

Clark shifted nervously. "Hi! I know you're not expecting me, but I'd really like to talk to you. Do you have some time?" It was different being here as Clark instead of as Kal. He'd better not appear to be too familiar with her place.

"Uh, sure, come in." She took a mental inventory of her appearance. Old sweats, too big T-shirt, day-old make-up. Only Kal saw her in this kind of outfit. She hoped Kal wouldn't show up quite so soon tonight, or at least stay away while Clark was here. She couldn't handle both men in the same room tonight, not after the confusion Kal stirred up inside her with that kiss.

They stood awkwardly just inside her door.

"Would you like something to drink?" she asked. Maybe playing the perfect hostess would make up for the way she was dressed. It certainly couldn't hurt.

"No thanks. I'm fine." This needed to be quick. There was less chance to screw things up if he didn't stay long.

Clark wasn't sure how to approach the subject. This was going to be harder than he thought. Should he ask her out on a date or try to break the ice first? Now that he was Lois' apartment, all he felt was apprehension at being here.

Lois noticed Clark was nervous. Was he going to ask her out? Looking like this?

"Lois? I was wondering... We had a great start working together and getting to know one another. I know certain things have happened between us, but... We don't have to get into that now." He shuffled his feet, then grinned shyly at her. "I was wondering maybe...."

<Ask me out, please!> She mentally crossed her fingers.

"I could ask..."

<Yes!>

"Perry to assign another story for us to work on together."

Disappointed, but at least glad for the chance to work together again, she answered, "Sure, let's give it a try. But no funny stuff, you hear?"

"I wouldn't dream of it, Lois. It'll be purely professional."

Darn! She didn't mean to say that. Not a chance to get close to that wonderful chest…

"Gr... good. Let's go to Perry tomorrow and see if he has anything for us. I think with our impending Kerth award coming up, he'll be more than happy to find something."

"See if we can bring back the old Kerth magic."

"Maybe it'll be just like the first time," Clark cleared his throat, then grinned. "I just hope we don't get stuck with a dog show."

Lois scrunched up her face and replied, "I can feel the fleas biting already." She yawned and covered her mouth apologetically.

"Well, it is getting late and..." He turned the doorknob and opened the door.

"It's not too late, but it's been a long day," she said, stifling another yawn.

"See you tomorrow, Lois," Clark said reluctantly.

"Bye."

Lois closed the door behind him and leaned up against it gratefully. His presence still knocked her off her feet. In spite of her shaking knees, she thought she didn't do too badly covering up how she felt. Maybe not wearing her heart on her sleeve wasn't going to be as hard as she thought, at least until the time was right.

Working with Clark at last. It was a dream come true. Perhaps this time they could get it right.

"I ain't finished with you yet, big fella," she whispered with a smile on her face.

In her dreams, Kal's kiss disturbed her. Her mind kept turning to last night. She knew she still loved Clark, but Kal was her best friend. Kissing her best friend felt wonderful, and even thinking about it now left her a bit dizzy. Even though she started off picturing Clark in her head, the second time kiss Kal had kissed her, she wasn't pretending any longer.

But the other night, Kal wasn't kissing her. He was kissing this mystery woman in his other life. A stray thought popped out of nowhere. Maybe if things didn't work out between their prospective others, she and Kal could give it a try.

No! Not her and Kal! If a romantic relationship didn't work out, could their friendship survive? Scary. Or, even more frightening, what if he started seeing this other woman... *That* thought left a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach.

<I couldn't be jealous, could I?>

After tossing and turning a few more minutes, she got up to get a glass of milk.

She realized that she wanted to go somewhere, someplace to distance herself from all these strange thoughts flying around in her head.

The promo from the new owners of the Lexor hotel came into focus as it sat on her coffee table.

Was it too late to see if a room was available? She snatched the brochure and flopped herself across the sofa to reach the telephone. She picked up the receiver and jabbed at the buttons on the phone.

A few minutes later, she was tossing a couple of things in an overnight bag and heading out the door.

This was a bad idea, Lois thought as she allowed the doorman to open the room to the honeymoon suite. Here she was trying to get away from thinking about her relationships and now was being thrust into the middle of a romantic hideaway.

Lois groaned. If it ever got out that she spent the night in a gaudy honeymoon suite *alone* then she would never live it down. Good fortune had it that it was late at night. No one would be around to recognize her.

She abruptly dismissed the bellman, then glanced around the room. Well, she supposed it would do, especially after spying the rather large heart-shaped hot tub in the middle of the bedroom. A long hot soak in the spa would surely go a ways towards straightening out any renegade thoughts she might have about her love life.

After putting away her assortment of things and getting undressed, she slipped into the hot sudsy water and sighed in contentment, a perfect setting to regain her equilibrium. She took a sip of her wine and realized there was no escaping from it.

It was time to reevaluate her relationship with Clark.

Her eyes had drifted shut and she was already up to her chin in bubbles when the phone rang.

"Yes?"

"Hey, it's me, Kal."

"Kal?"

"I stopped by your place and you weren't there."

"So naturally, you got worried?"

His voice grumbled in a low chuckle on the other end. "You know me so well, Lois."

"How'd ya find me? Other than being Superman. I mean you couldn't have searched the whole city."

"I could have done that, but when I didn't hear your heartbeat in your apartment, I let myself in. I hope don't mind, but I saw your brochures on the coffee table and took a chance on calling you."

"You're always a big worrywart, Kal, but I'm glad you called. I hope I didn't miss pizza or takeout or something."

"No, I was just passing by. How's the view?"

Lois scooted up in the tub in order to peek out the window.

"It's wonderful..." She cut off mid sentence as she observed the lights go on in the building next to her. Three men had just entered a room directly across from her – one wore a holstered gun; another was dressed in black pants and the last man was in a suit and tie.

Lois thought she recognized the last man, but couldn't quite make out his features. She leaned over the side of the hot tub to grab her binoculars out of her purse.

"Lois? You okay?"

"Yeah, just fine," Lois tried to focus on the room across the alleyway a couple hundred feet away. Her eyes widened as she saw the well-dressed man hand the guy in black an envelope. In response, the guy in black exchanged a smaller envelope.

Lois searched in her purse until she found a small disposable camera. She immediately began clicking away.

"Lois?"

"Kal, I can't hear what they're saying! You've got to get over here."

"Huh? What are you talking about, Lois?"

"There're guys in the building next to mine! Suspicious-looking ones! Get over here quick and see what they're saying! I'm on the twenty-first floor facing the bay."

Lois heard the telephone drop and five seconds later a dark figure could be seen hovering outside the office building. Kal was wearing his dark clothes from his pre-Superman days. Two seconds later, he was gone.

Two men had left the room and the only one left was the thug-looking guy in black. But soon he had turned off the lights and disappeared out the door, leaving the room dark.

She heard the telephone receiver mutter something at her a few seconds later and she picked it up. "Kal? That was fast! Where did you go?"

"On the roof. But I did hear something about them meeting again soon."

"Meeting? Where? What else did they say?"

"That was all I heard, Lois. Even superhearing can't read minds."

Lois snorted in frustration. "Thanks, Kal."

"You're welcome."

"Lois?"

"Yes?"

"Why are you in the honeymoon suite in the Lexor hotel?"

"Couldn't sleep. That's all, and it seemed like a good idea at the time."

"If you're sure that's all," Clark waited a couple of seconds before he heard Lois answer.

"It's that guy I was telling you about, Kal. I'm so in love with him I can't see straight, much less sleep."

Clark closed his eyes. Please let it be him!

"Lois, you need to tell him," he said softly, taking a chance.

"I want to, Kal," she responded quietly. "It's something I've got to work on."

"You get a good night's sleep, and don't get too wrinkled in that tub." He then added, "I hear splashing."

Lois laughed. "Thanks Kal, and you won't mistake me for a prune next time you see me. I promise."

"Good night, Lois."

"Night, Kal."

The next morning Lois woke up early to choose her outfit carefully. Wouldn't hurt to be fully prepared to knock his socks off. She'd had brought four different ensembles with her just because she wasn't sure what mood she'd be in when she woke up.

In spite of her plush bed, she had hardly slept a wink that night. Mostly because she was going to see Clark, and partly in anticipation of getting her photos developed.

There was no telling what Perry would say when they approached him with the request for their assignment. "Dog show" was the first thing that came to mind. Clark may have been right. Surely Perry wouldn't want to risk a major story on two reporters who had started a second Cold War in his office. No, it wouldn't be anything important. Just a simple story to break the waters. That was, if they didn't kill each other first.

At least they were talking civilly to one another. It was funny how the prospect of sharing a Kerth award could change your attitude about someone. Still, she needed to keep her heart on guard.

Clark wasn't there when she arrived. Disappointed, she got a cup of coffee, and then decided to get to work.

She sat down at her desk and had made a few calls to a couple of sources when she heard Perry bellow from his office, "Lois, get in here pronto!"

Frowning that she might miss Clark when he finally arrived, she hoped her editor wouldn't be long-winded. She checked her appearance in the mirrored frame just in case she ran into Clark on the way out of Perry's office.

Once she entered, Clark's presence immediately threw her off-guard. He gave her a tentative smile as she sat down in the chair next to him.

Perry didn't beat around the bush but went straight to the point. "Lois, Clark tells me you two are willing to bury the hatchet - just as long as it's not in each other's backs - and try to work together again. I've thought it over and decided the best way not to waste my time and yours is to put you straight into the lion's den. If you two can survive this assignment, then I think we're on the way to having a number one investigative team at the Daily Planet again."

Lois turned to Clark, and asked him pointedly, "Do you know what assignment he's talking about?"

Clark shrugged his shoulders, then motioned for her to pay attention to Perry who was clearing his throat.

"Lois, you know those photos that you left for Jimmy to develop this morning?"

"Yeah, did those come out? Where are they? And why did Jimmy give them to you?"

"I recognized the guy on the top photo and pulled rank."

"Oh."

Perry pulled a stack of pictures from the top his desk. "Take a look at these. Seems like Senator Ian Harrington is meeting with a guy named Peter Rourke. In this picture, you can clearly see the envelope marked Top Secret. Seems like these guys could be exchanging high security documents for money."

Lois piped in, "This morning I found out the offices are leased to Apocalypse Consulting. Chief? I have an idea."

Perry laughed and interrupted her. "I've already beaten you to the punch. Start packing your bags. You're going on a surveillance operation."

"I guess our dog show assignment is going to have to wait, Clark," she noted with a gleam in her eyes. "I smell scandal."

"I'm going to give you guys three nights in the Honeymoon Suite."

"Guys?"

"You and Clark."

"Did you say Clark?"

"What do you think I was talking about before? Yes, I said Clark."

Lois felt a surge of panic shoot through her stomach. "Chief, I'm not sharing that hotel suite with Clark! How would it look?"

"The Honeymoon Suite? Natural."

"But..."

"Lois, think it through. No hotel's going to sit still for us using it as a base for spy operations. You need a cover. What better cover than honeymooners in the Honeymoon Suite? It's called 'keeping a low profile'."

"But..."

Perry continued to try to convince Lois. "Besides, how are you going to manage 'round the clock' surveillance all by yourself?"

Clark raked a shaking hand through his hair. This was a tiny bit more than he bargained for when he asked for an assignment with Lois. She was strangely silent now and that worried him.

Out of desperation, he said, "It would be business, Lois, strictly business."

"That's the deal. Take it or leave it." Perry sat back in his chair as a gesture of finality.

Lois bit her bottom lip and then forced herself to look at Clark.

He seemed just as scared as she was.

She sighed. "I'll start packing."

"Action!"

Clark stared at the bellman, then scooped Lois up in his arms. It was rather a benign scoop, but the results were the same. He was holding Lois.

She had a wild-eyed doe expression on her face. Clark ignored it as he put on a show for the bellman's attention and stumbled a bit under the 'weight' of Lois.

"That's it! Hoist her up, big fella! No brownies for you tonight, but I'm sure you'll get some other sweets if you play your card right," the bellman joked while videotaping Clark carrying Lois over the threshold.

Lois struggled against, not Clark, but the annoying words of the bellhop.

Clark put her down, but placed a loose arm around her shoulders.

"She's a little shy."

"You'll help her get over it." The bellhop winked knowingly at Clark and bumped his shoulder, nudging him towards Lois.

Clark had just dismissed the pesky bellman only to find Jimmy pushing past him carrying a large bag of surveillance equipment.

His low whistle of admiration as he looked around the room caught Lois' attention. "Wow! This is some place! Too bad you have to work. That hot tub rocks!!"

"Yes, Jimmy. That's why we're here. No other reason than to get a story."

"Right."

Clark noticed the slight frown on Lois' face and decided to listen to her heartbeat. Yep, she was definitely bothered by this situation. But he wasn't sure whether it was annoyance at the lewd bellman or at him.

"Sure you don't want to stay a while and set this stuff up," she asked nervously. This was too soon, way to soon to be alone with Clark, at least in these conditions.

"Uh, uh! I may like high adventure, but this operation is way too dangerous." He plopped the bag down on the floor and waved goodbye. His head reappeared from around the corner, and he quipped, "Don't forget to kiss the bride, Clark!"

Clark heard Lois roar as she threw a well-aimed pillow at Jimmy's head. "Crack another honeymoon joke and you're going to end up in a body cast!"

"If you can't be good, be good at it!" Jimmy voice echoed from the hallway.

Lois scowled again, then began to busy herself with setting up the equipment. This was nuts. It wasn't as if she and Clark were here for any other purpose than for gathering information for a story. He even said so.

She eyed the ominous hot tub in the middle of the living room and wished she were at liberty to use it. A long hot soak helped to sooth her frazzled nerves last night. But that was out of the question, at least for now.

She yanked another piece of equipment from the bag, and it tumbled to the ground in a loud clatter. Pulling at the bag in frustration caused another heavier piece of equipment to land on her foot. After she yelped in pain, a pair of warm hands covered hers briefly and took the tripod stand.

"Here, let me."

Lois jerked her hands away from him and sat down, letting him finish setting up the surveillance equipment.

Once the job was completed, Clark sat down next to Lois and was silent for a few moments.

"I know this isn't what we bargained for when we asked for an assignment together, but you have no reason to be afraid of me, Lois."

Scared of what she might see if she looked into his eyes, she merely replied, "You just startled me; that's all."

"Okay." Deciding not to push her any further, he stood up and moved the equipment closer to the window. "I'll take the first watch."

Lois stared surreptitiously at the strong back of her stakeout partner as he sat on the coffee table watching for any signs of life in the building next to them. She'd been pacing for hours now and hardly a word had been spoken between them. She was very thankful that Clark was giving her the space she needed. It was as though he could read her mind, and the connection between them was beginning to spark once more.

She longed to lay her hands on his shoulders and nuzzle his neck, or run her hands through his hair while kissing his cheek. Funny how her mind was all for it, but when it had come to the simple touch of his hands before, she'd pulled away in fright.

He was so gentle, yet so dangerous to her mental well-being. But maybe she should listen to Kal's advice and try to talk things through, or at least break the tension in the room.

Swallowing hard, she sat down, at a respectable distance, on the coffee table next to him.

He turned his head towards her and gave her a tentative smile. "Hey."

"Hey."

"No luck?" She nodded her head towards the building across the way.

"Not a peep. Guess tonight's not the night."

"Nope."

Clark straightened his back and stretched a bit, then said, "Why don't you take the bed? I'll stay up for a while and make sure they don't turn up after all."

"I haven't exactly done anything. Why don't you get some sleep, and I'll stay up?"

"I'm fine, really."

"No, I insist! You've been sitting here for hours. Your back must be getting really stiff. Go!"

She pointed towards the bedroom and managed a tiny smile.

Clark decided to accept her gesture of consideration and stood up. "Thanks! I'll relieve you in a couple of hours. Wake me up if you get sleepy."

"I will." Lois turned her attention to the camera and pretended to peer through it. She was pleased with herself. It was a start to trying to figure out if she could handle this relationship business. Letting Clark have the bed was one way she could show she cared.

Clark watched Lois through the wall for a few minutes before turning in, or pretending to go to bed. He knew with Lois in the other room, it would be difficult to sleep. But he was happy that she'd made the offer. It was *something*. All they had to do was to get through this assignment one hour at a time.

Clark woke up from light sleep. It took him a couple of seconds to clear his head before remembering where he was – in the Lexor hotel with Lois. Dressed in a t-shirt and shorts, he wandered back out to the living area to see how Lois was holding up.

She was sound asleep on the coffee table. Her head was resting on the wadded up equipment bag and her feet were still hanging over the edge. She looked extremely uncomfortable and would more than likely wake up with a stiff neck if he didn't do something.

He stared down at her for a few seconds trying to decide the best plan of action to take without getting himself in a heap of trouble. Leaning over the table, he slipped one arm underneath her head and the other beneath her legs and picked her up.

Her eyes fluttered opened for a second and she gave him a sleepy smile as her arms wound themselves around his neck. He heard her whisper his name and nearly kissed her on the spot. But instead, he held her a bit closer as he picked his way around the equipment and headed for the bedroom.

The bed was still turned down from his sleeping in it a few moments before, he noted as he leaned over to lay Lois down on the sheets. Her arms tightened around his neck so he stood up straight and waited for her to relax. He hoped to put her down without having to disentangle her arms from his neck and possibly even wake her up.

He remembered the last time he'd held her in his arms – as Clark. He had laid her down on his bed as they passionately kissed each other senseless. He grew warm as he stared down at her beautiful features.

Her relaxed hand slid down his shoulder and grazed his chest, coming to rest in the hollow between their bodies. He looked forward to the day when he'd be able to kiss her face, as she slept, to be able to touch her without restraint.

Hopefully, that day would be soon, very soon.

At last, he laid her on the bed, tucked the covers around her and returned for his night watch of the building next to them.