Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80934 07/30/11 10:27 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Okay, so I'm expecting a fair amount of chastising, flaming, ranting and raving going up here. I'm okay with that. I always enjoy sparking debates- and this is a very heated topic. Not so sure whether or not this idea has been done before (undoubtably it must have). But let me just clarify that I'm again normally not this evil/angsty/depressing. I wrote this at a time when I was very depressed myself, and this piece was actually very cathartic to write. Don't take this as any disrespect or tolerance for the topic. Just genuine interest and sadness.

Also, I am planning on writing a not-as-dark alternate/companion piece to this, where Clark can grieve properly without all this happening.

Anyways, I'll let you run with this now! Thanks for comments in advance! wink

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#80935 07/31/11 06:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
HOLY CRAP! I expected you to turn it around. This is really depressing. If you feel like this then you should probably seek counseling now! It was well written though, but should have had a big red warning that said both the main characters die. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#80936 07/31/11 06:06 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I'm not someone who automatically rejects what the gentle readers refer to as 'deathfics', so I will accept that part of the story as part of the plot 'set up'.

This story was not about Lois' death, but about how Clark dealt, or in this case, did not deal with it.

As far as an exploration of the deep emotional pain that Clark felt and how his friends and family reacted to his state were well portrayed and acted out. The sense of guilt and hopelessness were well presented.

I don't dispute your portrayal of Clark's emotions, but I do have to take issue with his actions.

A Lois death has been depicted in other stories and has been dealt with in the comic books several times. Never have a I seen a version where Clark/Superman has become suicidal. I agree with that.

In most cases he has removed himself from interaction with the rest of Humanity to brood and wallow in his guilt in solitude.

Tank (who does agree that Lois and Superman should never be able to conceive together, or that a child could come to completion given that they are not of the same species)

#80937 07/31/11 07:37 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Laura: I kept trying to get Clark to turn it around, too. I have an alternate version where Clark doesn't die, but he is in the same circumstances, that I'm thinking of posting. And don't worry about me. I'm out of that slump for now. smile

Tank: Yes, I probably should have added more of a WHAM to it- I did post it in the thread, but I couldn't convince myself to give it all away. Sorry. :p And I also don't like/believe in a Superman who is suicidal- goes against everything I just wrote, but true. I just wrote it because I was curious about what it would be like for him to actually be this way. huh Curiosity killed the Clark. laugh

--Mark Twain
#80938 07/31/11 09:02 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I agree with the other posts so far. wallbash Suicide is a horribly sad thing, such a waste of a life, but at least I guess you showed Clark with some remorse towards his parents towards the end. But argh...

But I don't understand how Perry can think they can print anything that would still protect the Kents and the Lanes. ??? They will be targets for sure now for those who seek revenge.

I do hope you soon post your alternate ending with Clark surviving-- very soon, please!!

EvelynC
#80939 07/31/11 09:20 AM
R
RJS Offline
Blogger
Blogger
R
For me the issue is character assassination, or pretty close to it. I kept thinking, "Where are Jonathan and Martha?"
Never mind Clark/Superman. The Kents walked from the airport to Clark's apartment in one episode through a city going through the chaos of the nightfall asteroid's threat to life on Earth. It couldn't have been easy but they did it because their son needed them. I don't see how they could sit around the farm ignoring his need after an event as emotionally wrenching as this. And for Jonathan to brush him off on Perry instead of getting on the next plane to Metropolis and taking the matter into his own hands - way out of character. Especially since he knows what his son has experienced and still he hates getting this kind of call from him? True, it does have to be this way for the story to unfold, but that isn't the Kents as portrayed in that universe.

#80940 07/31/11 11:28 AM
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
I agree with the previous poster. Parents like the Kents would be very attuned to their son's emotional pain, and after a tragedy like his, would be doubly concerned about their son's emotional state. They would also both be intuitive enough to see that their son might be at risk for suicide. I don't believe that the Kents would ignore the red flags raised by a potentially suicidal child.

I also have a hard time accepting a Superman who is so despairing and who just gives up. All in all, these seem like characters who have become rather distorted, perhaps to meet some other agenda of the author's.

#80941 07/31/11 12:12 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
As one of the few people to have written a Clark-suicide-fic and allowed to live: Martha and Jonathan don't feel right here. Of all people they should know what their son is going through - losing his wife and child because he was different. They should have been worried about him taking a drastic and self-destructive action. One of them would have been there to help him through, to keep an eye on him, to talk to him.

I could excuse them not being there if Clark had taken pains to make sure they believed he was okay, if enough time had passed so that they thought the danger was over. But if that was in this story, I didn't catch it.

And Clark allowing himself to die in their presence - I'm sorry but that's just mean. Clark is supposed to be a smart and thoughtful guy. He would have made sure he was where his friends and family wouldn't have to watch him die. He wouldn't want them to remember him that way.

There were some good points - Jimmy stepping up and handling things worked nicely. Perry being smart enough to figure it all out.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#80942 07/31/11 04:57 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hey Mouse! I know I already reviewed this on ff.net but...

I really do love the raw emotion in this piece. For me, it's not so much about whether or not Clark commits suicide. It's more about the dark thoughts and the raw emotions that he's going through - which I think are described beautifully. I'm glad that you shared it with us, and that you were able to turn a tough time into your personal life into something so powerful and creative.

Thanks again for sharing!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#80943 07/31/11 08:57 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
To address all statements:
I know this piece isn't perfect- and I had an issue with working the Kents into/out of the plot easily. One of my regrets. But the way I had to (wanted to) end it, I couldn't get them too deeply involved. Besides, this does take place six or seven months after Lois's death (not sure if I made that clear enough). Clark's back at work, surrounded by close friends and family- I don't know. Figured it would be easiest. Not necessarily best.

Secondly, I think a lot of people get the wrong impression from this piece- I think DC put it best saying that
"it's not so much about whether or not Clark commits suicide. It's more about the dark thoughts and the raw emotions that he's going through"
Because that's what it was really all about for me. I also don't subscribe to the idea that Clark would *actually* ever take such drastic actions, but rather the feeling behind it. What can I say? I like keeping people on their toes and on the defensive- and judging by the responses, I have obviously accomplished that goal! smile1 JMHO.

--Mark Twain
#80944 08/01/11 06:28 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
whinging whinging

The pure pain and anguish that Clark felt and still feels 6 months after Lois and his son's death has sent me reeling.

I don't agree with the others readers. You handled it well.

I could see Clark placating his parents, telling everyone and himself he was ready to go back to work, only to have everything spiral out of control again. The Daily Planet is where he and Lois met and fell in love.

After all Clark was the king of misdirection, so I could see him being in so much pain that he pulled the wool over even his parents' eyes.

If ever there was a reason that CK/S would commit suicide, this was it. All the events leading up to him actually drinking the K show that he wanted to be saved, that he wanted them to stop him, otherwise, he would have flown up to the Arctic to drink his K. He wouldn't have been so out and open to everyone who he knew and loved. It was a cry for help, but how does someone help a suicidal Superman?

If ever you wanted to placate your readers, you could always change the story in which this turns out to be Lois's nightmare. (a horrible plot device I know) She awakes, round with pregnancy and with Clark asleep next to him. I see her waking him up and making him promise that should anything ever happen to her and the baby, he would never harm himself. (I can turn any story into a happily ever after.)

This was very moving and I should have known what I was getting myself into with your WHAM warning. whinging Now I need to go read something light and fluffy to cheer myself up. Really, Mouserocks, this was terrific. I'm glad you are no longer feeling this despair, this distraught.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#80945 08/01/11 01:09 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
smile1

Thanks for all comments so far!

--Mark Twain
#80946 08/02/11 03:25 AM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Well written and so emotional. I for one actually wasn't looking for you to turn it around. I felt as if you justified how he couldn't go on without her no matter what it did to everyone else. So sad though.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard