Missing Lois - TOC

Author’s Note: The “Lois” in Chapter 5 and 6 refers to alt-Lois. Canon Lois will be called “Lucy” to help lessen the confusion between the two characters.

Story Notes: This story is mostly set in alt-dimension, although visits to the canon dimension do happen from time-to-time.
- Clark = Alt-Clark unless otherwise noted (such as when we are in the canon dimension, then 'Clark' is canon Clark)
- Lucy El = pregnant canon Lois avoiding the curse by hiding out with alt-Clark, aka Lois's secret identity
- Kal = Lucy El's husband's name, or what Lois-Lucy and alt-Clark call canon Clark
- Lois = alt-Lois, wife of Lex Luthor
- Lola Luthor = ‘wife’ of Lex Luthor; alt-Lois, if not referring to Clois (Cloned Lois)
- Sam Lane = alt-Lois's Dad, Lois's doctor & roommate
- Mayor White = aka Perry White, former Editor-in-Chief at the DP
- James Olsen = owner of the Daily Planet, Lois-Lucy's friend
- Cat Grant = helping alt-Clark out with PR on his '50 dates' charity winners and social columnist at the DP, now Acting Editor-in-Chief at the DP
- Lex Luthor = no explanation necessary, same bad guy as always, this time bald
- Jaxon Xavier = Lex Luthor's son and spy at The Planet, does website design and research for the paper
- Mrs. Cox = Lex Luthor's administrative and personal assistant

- The only people who know canon Lois's true identity are alt-Clark, Sam, Moonbeam (alt-Star) and Dr. Klein. Alt-Clark told Mayson Drake that Lucy El is his sister-in-law and that he has a twin brother, but not about the other dimension. Mayson didn't believe him (thinking instead that Lucy was a con-artist).

What happened in Parts 4 and 5...

Lex Luthor contacted Clark that Monday morning before Christmas, informing Clark that he not only wanted his wife back and that he would drag Clark’s and Superman’s name through the mud to get her back, if need be. Acting editor Cat Grant made a DP edict that no one was to tell Lois Lane Superman’s true identity (that Clark was Superman), so that ‘the best investigative reporter in Metropolis’ could figure it out on her own, or Cat would demote or fire them.

Caught between a rock-and-a-hard-place, Clark went to introduce his Clark Kent self to his Lois, wondering if she would recognize either his touch or voice as Superman. Lois felt something, but did not tie it to her Mr. Amazing. He also realized he could see Lois as himself (Clark Kent) – as friends – as long as Lois continued to not know he was also Superman. Meanwhile, Sam was becoming more and more suspicious that something had happened between his daughter and the ‘tights-wearing-freak.’ Then Lucy and Sam had Lois tell them about how Lex blinded her in hopes of discovering a cure. It turned out that Lois was blinded in the same manner and by the same men who had blinded Superman in Lucy’s dimension (“The Eyes Have It.”)

Part 6

Clark stared at his computer screen. The words he had typed there just didn’t make any sense to him. All he could think about was Lois. How was he going to keep away from her? She was in his blood; she was all he could think about. He sighed. This morning’s meeting with her had confused him. Had she felt something when they had touched as he had? It was as if she knew it was him, but couldn’t believe her own feelings.

Lois had also flirted with Clark Kent, big time. She couldn’t keep her hands off him. Was that because she was blind? Or was it something else? A part of Clark – the Superman part of him – felt jealous that Lois would flirt with the Clark Kent part of him. It made no sense. How could he be jealous of himself? He should be thrilled that his Lois Lane was attracted to every aspect of him, instead of feeling like she was cheating on him by flirting with the Clark part. Of course, technically, Superman and Lois as a couple didn’t exist. They weren’t an item. They hadn’t spent an intense weekend together in the country. She was free to flirt with other men. He just didn’t have to like it.

Clark glanced over at Lucy. She had this secretive smile on her face all afternoon and he was worried she was up to something. Why did everyone always keep secrets from him? He shook his head and tried once again to focus on his article.

His phone rang. “Clark Kent.”

Mr. Kent, it’s Security downstairs. A gorgeous woman is on her way up to see you. We couldn’t stop her. She just stormed her way past us.

Clark chuckled. ‘Great. Another fan. This time gorgeous. Sometimes, I hate my alter ego’, he thought with a sarcastic smile, but this should be an interesting distraction from thinking about Lois. “It’s fine. Thanks for the warning.”

Lucy stood up and took some papers over to Cat for review. He couldn’t take his eyes off her. What was that sneaky wench up to?

“Clark Kent! Where the hell are you?” A voice screamed over the newsroom. Maybe it wasn’t a fan after all. The newsroom fell quiet as the woman stormed across the bullpen.

“Lois,” Clark gasped, focusing his attention on the woman bearing down on a scrawny copyboy with glasses. Only this Lois had her sight back. That was what Lucy had been grinning about.

“Oh, crap,” he heard Lucy whisper. “She got loose.”

Now that she could see, would Lois start to notice all the things that he and Superman had in common? Dark hair, dark eyes, same height, that everyone else knew that they were the same person? Or would these frames actually fool her like they had Kal’s Lois? How long would he be able to continue to see her. Once she realized the truth that Clark Kent and Superman were the same person, would he be able to keep himself away from her – without this disguise to hide behind? Would he be able to resist her as he knew Superman should? Would she still want him?

“You. Are you Clark Kent?” Then Lois looked at the copyboy, up and down. “There’s no way you’re Clark Kent. Where is he?”

The copy boy shook as he pointed in Clark’s general direction.

“Oh, this is going to be good,” he heard Cat murmur. He saw out of the corner of his eye that she was holding on to Lucy’s arm, not allowing her to run interference. “No, let’s see what happens.”

Swallowing, Clark stood up and looked at Lois. His heart started to beat faster as he realized this new aspect of their relationship was spinning him like a tornado. She stopped five feet away from him. “Clark? Clark Kent?” She seemed as stunned as he felt. She stared at him, the anger knocked out of her.

“Hi, Lois.” He smiled, casually, not trying to show everyone how thrilled he was that she could now see. “I see you got your sight back. What are you doing here?”

“I work here,” Lois stated. Then all of a sudden the anger was back. “You lied to me, Clark Kent,” she said pointing at him.

“Did I?” He swallowed again, wondering if she had figured out he was Superman already. There was a spattering of guffaws and titters around the office as his co-workers watched his uneasiness grow at being accused of lying.

“You said you were nothing much to look at,” she replied, her lips pressed together in anger. The chuckles grew into outright laughter.

Clark looked away, his discomfort consuming him whole. “Thanks, Lois.” He cleared his throat. “What can I do for you?”

“Where’s my stuff?” she snarled.

Oh, that was why she was here. He glanced over at Lucy, who was still being held back by Cat. His editor was enjoying this more than a saucer of cream. Lucy mouthed ‘sorry.’

“In storage. I’ll get it…” he started saying before he noticed that Jaxon had walked up to them. Great. Just what they needed.

“Lola?” Jaxon said, shock in his voice.

Lois glanced over her shoulder at him. “Not now, Jaxon, I’m talking with…” Then she stopped, her back going ramrod straight, her eyes growing wide. She turned around and kept both eyes on her step-son as she backed towards Clark. “What are you doing here, Jaxon?”

“I work here, Lola. I do the website and help out in research. Father is going to be so glad to know I found you. He’s been worried sick.”

“I’m sure he has.” Lois swallowed, grabbing hold of Clark’s hands behind her back. “Jaxon, you know that your father kidnapped me and held me against my will for over three years, right?” She spoke to him as if he were a little slow.

“Lola, I know that Father said you banged your head and started to believe you were this missing reporter from the Daily Planet. Everything will be okay. I’ll call Father and he can come pick you up and take you home.” He pulled out his mobile phone.

Lois placed her hand on his phone. “Jaxon Xavier, listen to me. I am Lois Lane, not Lola Luthor. OK? Don’t call your father; I don’t want to go back to him. He has been trying to brainwash me for years into believing I’m someone I’m not.”

“No, Lola, he’s been trying to get your memories back. He loves you so much. He’ll be so happy that I found you.” He flipped open his phone and started dialing.

Clark glanced at Lucy and saw her eyes were wide and anxious as he felt. The laughter in the bullpen was now eerily gone.

“Clark.” Lois’s voice shook as she backed into him, not taking her gaze off Jaxon. “Call Superman and tell him I need him to take me back to the safe house. Right now.”

He could hear her heartbeat accelerating. She had said earlier that Lex didn’t scare her, but her heart was calling her a liar. She was terrified of going back to her husband. “I’ll take you, Lois,” Clark said, taking her arm and grabbing his coat off the hook next to his desk. “Let’s go.”

As they passed Cat, Lois said, “Fire him, Cat. He’s a spy for Lex Luthor.”

“Whatever you say, Lois.” Their temporary editor laughed. “Any luck finding Superman?”

Clark glared at her.

“And, Clark, don’t forget you have a date, tonight. Last one. Better show up this time.”

Lois slowed down at her old desk. “Clark, who’s been using my desk?”

“Excuse me,” Lucy said, sitting down at her desk which had formerly belonged to Lois.

“You!” Lois pointed at Lucy. “First, my apartment, now my desk? Clark, she’s trying to steal my life.”

“Let’s go, Lois,” Clark reminded her, nudging her towards the exit.

Lois pointed to her eyes and then back at Lucy. “I don’t trust you, Lucy El!” she screamed as Clark almost dragged her from the newsroom. “And you dress like a bag lady, too!”

He could hear Cat’s continued laughter as the elevator went down. “Lois, that was uncalled for.”

Lois crossed her arms with a pout, mumbling, “Now I know why she was keeping Superman away from me the other night. She wasn’t trying to protect his image, she wants him for herself. Well, she can’t have him. He’s mine.”

Clark couldn’t say anything to that. He put on his coat and took a deep breath. She still wanted him as much as he wanted her. He wanted nothing more than to pull her into his arms and show her how much he missed her. But he couldn’t, not as Clark Kent.

Lois gasped, turning to him. “Oh, my God! Clark. Sorry. I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have said anything. Nothing happened. I promise. I just have this huge crush on him and I can’t keep my mouth shut. He’s just so gorgeous in that blue suit of his and…”

“You’ve seen him?” Clark asked, surprised. “When?” She had been blind when he saw her that morning.

They went out into the cold and Clark waved down a cab. He made sure he stood between her and the wind, protecting her even from Mother Nature.

“He flew by the apartment after lunch. And, my God! I know Lucy warned me he was a sight to behold, but I swear my knees went weak. I didn’t realize how gorgeous he is.” She swallowed, stepping into the cab. “I’m doing it again. I’m just in shock from seeing Jaxon, so my mouth is running a mile a minute. Sorry.” She covered her mouth.

“Lois, where is Sam?” Clark asked, curious where her so-called daytime bodyguard had gone.

“He went to the grocery store. And really, I wasn’t planning on leaving the apartment, but then I looked through my closet, looking for something better to wear to breakfast with Perry tomorrow and realized that all the clothes that Superman had given me were actually my clothes. He must have gotten them from you. Lucy said you took my stuff out of the apartment, before she moved in. Thank you for that, by the way, because I don’t trust her as far as I can spit. Although, I can spit pretty far. So, scratch that. Anyway, I figured you must have my stuff somewhere close enough for you to give them to Superman for me and I thought more and more about you having my stuff and wondering why you never gave them to my Dad and…”

“Take a breath, Lois. I’ve got your stuff in storage. I’ll get to it when I get the chance.”

She took a breath. “Right.”

“And for the record, I think you look nice just the way you are.”

Lois smiled and took hold of his arm, leaning her head against his shoulder. “Thank you for rescuing me again, Clark. You really are my hero.” She sighed.

“I’m sorry, Lois. I should have warned you about Jaxon. That’s why I didn’t want you to come into the office.”

“Cat’s not going to fire him, is she?”

“No grounds for termination. Mr. Olsen – James has been trying to find a way to get rid of him since the summer, when we realized who he was.”

“You knew about him since the summer?” Lois asked, first gazing up at him. Then she looked straight at him, studying him. She was really close, almost too close. What fascinated her about boring Clark Kent?

Clark nodded, unable to speak with her so near. He turned away and cleared his throat. “Lucy thought there might be a connection between Jaxon coming to the Daily Planet and the appearance of Superman. She thought that Luthor was spying on me.”

“Because you are so close to Superman.” She nodded in sudden comprehension. “No wonder he was always swearing at you. Lex hates you.”

“Really? He seemed so friendly at the Christmas Party.”

“I’m sure you were polite, too, Clark. And you just love him, right?” she goaded.

Clark laughed. “Yeah, Lois. You got me.” He glanced down at her head on his shoulder. She glanced up at him; it felt good to see her focusing on him with her eyes. She was close enough to kiss. He swallowed, wanting to do nothing more than to press his lips to hers. But Clark Kent wasn’t allowed to kiss married women, either, because everyone knew who he was. “Stop!” Clark called out to the cab driver. “We’ll walk from here,” he said, handing over a pile of bills to the driver. “Let’s go, Lois.”

They walked in silence for a block. He really needed to drop her off at the apartment and get back to work. He needed to confront Lucy about her keeping him out of the loop. The more he was around Lois, the more he wanted her. They needed to stay away from one another or Lex would have legitimate grounds to smear his name in the mud. Well, more legitimate grounds… more well-known grounds…

“Lucy knew about Jaxon and Lex?” Lois asked him, stirring him from his thoughts.

“Yes. Sometimes, it seems like she knows about everyone.”

“Tell me about her husband. What does he really do?”

Clark glanced over at her. She figured out that the hush-hush secret job was just a sham. “I can’t say,” he replied.

“Oh. So, it really is a secret?” She sounded almost disappointed.

“Afraid so.”

“Have you met him? Does he really exist?”

He sighed. “Afraid so.”

“Is she really going home in a few months?”

“If we’re lucky,” he replied, meaning that if she survived the pregnancy and the curse.

She raised a brow. “I thought she was your best friend.”

“But she’s also a danger magnet.”

“Oh.” Lois was quiet a moment then nudged him with her elbow. “Exactly why are you having me live with a danger magnet, Clark?”

“Because I certainly can’t live with her.” He laughed. “My girlfriend would not approve.”

Lois stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, her jaw dropped. “Clark Kent, you have a girlfriend? Did you get back together with the blonde you were engaged to? What’s her name? Lana?”

Clark gulped as he stared at her. Had he really said that out loud? How did she know about Lana? “No,” he replied. “We broke up.”

“So you’ve got a new girlfriend. Why is this the first I’m hearing about her?” There was an edge to her voice. Was she jealous? Of Clark Kent’s girlfriend?

“Sorry, Lois.” He really was sorry. He shouldn’t have said anything. And technically, Lois wasn’t really his girlfriend. Only in a perfect world. And his dimension was far from perfect. He pretended to cough, before speaking, his soft voice slightly hoarse, “She’s kind-of a secret girlfriend. Can you keep it to yourself?”

Lois raised a brow towards him. “A secret girlfriend?” She grinned, nudging him in the arm again. “So, why all the secrecy?”

He stepped away from her in time. She really touched him way too often for his sanity. “Reporters are notorious gossips, and I have bad luck with women.”

“Really?” Lois seemed curious. Too curious. “What was that about a date tonight?”

Clark cleared his throat. “I auctioned myself off for charity a while back.”

“I would have liked to see that bidding war.” She smiled. “So, how much did you go for, handsome?”

“Enough about me. Here we are. Back at the safe house,” he said brusquely, as he skipped up the stairs to open the door for her.

She walked up the stairs, keeping an eye on him the entire time.

Lucy looked up and down the street for a cab. She couldn’t believe that Clark had ditched her again. That was two mornings in a row now. This time she was sure it was an emergency, but she still missed him -- her this dimension best friend.

A dark town car pulled up and two men jumped out and dragged her into it. “You’re coming with us, Mrs. Luthor,” one of the men grumbled.

“Oh, no, not that,” Lucy moaned. She elbowed one of the men and smacked the other. As she turned to get out of the car, she realized the door was already shut and they were off. The men pulled her down into the seat and held her arms.

“She’s a fighter, Mr. Luthor.”

Lucy glanced up. Lex Luthor sat across from her. “Well, Lex, I see you aren’t up to your usual standards. Has Superman put away all the good bad guys out there? That you had to settle for these two dimwits?”

“Hi, darling,” he said, lifting up a glass of champagne.

She made a buzzer sound. “Wrong.”

“Lola.”

“Strike two.”

Lex raised an eyebrow at her. “I’m not going to call you Lois Lane.”

“Strike three.”

Lex studied her a minute and then handed his drink to Mrs. Cox, sitting next to him. He leaned forward and took the hat from her head, staring at her short hair. He lifted her chin with his index finger and turned her jaw back and forth. Then he pulled open her coat. Lucy jerked her hands free from the two thugs and pulled her coat closed.

“Do you mind?” She couldn’t let him know that she was pregnant or she would be a dead woman for sure.

“That is not my wife.”

“But, Mr. Luthor, we followed her and Clark Kent from the Daily Planet to this apartment building last night. She lives in your wife’s old apartment.”

“That may be so, boys. But this woman, striking though she may be, is not my wife.” He took his drink back from Mrs. Cox. “Lola isn’t chunky and she wouldn’t be caught dead in an outfit like that.”

“You can drop me off at the Daily Planet, Lex. I’ll tell Clark you send your regards,” Lucy suggested, trying hard not to be hurt by Lex's harsh description of the 'new' her.

“Now, why would I want to do that? Lucy, isn’t it? You are much more valuable to me as a hostage.”

Lucy closed her eyes and concentrated. She knew that Kryptonians could read minds, but she had never perfected it. Time to try again. Help, Clark. Lex has me. Please, Clark, help me, she thought to him, hoping she had finally reached him. But all she heard in response was silence.

“Champagne, Mrs. El?”

“No, thanks. I don’t drink; neither should you at seven o’clock in the morning.”

He raised a brow. “No?” Lex shrugged. “I do have other ways to make you talk.”

“May I recommend that you drop me off at the Daily Planet building, and get yourself out of town before Superman finds out that you tried to kidnap Lois again and were stupid enough to nab me instead?”

“Stupid? I am anything but stupid, Mrs. El.” Lex glared at her.

“If you think he would negotiate with you, you are an idiot. He will never give her back to you. And if you harm even one hair on my head, let’s hope the cave you decide to live in is at the Earth’s core, because he will find you. You really don’t want to see him when he’s mad.” She stared directly into Lex’s eyes. There was something cold in his eyes she had never seen in her Lex’s eyes… She shook her head. No, not her Lex. Her dimension’s Lex. Her stomach acid seemed twice as sharp today, but with the henchmen holding her arms, she couldn’t rub the pain away.

“You think he likes you?” Lex chuckled. “Darling, you’re yesterday’s news. You should have seen how he was ogling my wife in Singapore. Now, you will tell me where my wife is, or we’ll dump your body in some lead lined tank somewhere where he’ll never find you.”

Lucy swallowed. He is just provoking you, Lois. Clark still cares for you. You are still here under his protection. “First of all, Clark Kent does not ogle. Secondly, I’m his friend. Superman doesn’t like it when his friends get hurt. And thirdly, your wife is dead. You threw her off a balcony into a cyclone. Remember?” So much for telepathy. Time to use some old-fashioned lung power. “And fourthly, SUPERMAN HELP!” Lucy yelled, before the thugs grabbed her and covered her mouth with tape.

“Tsk. Tsk. And we were having such a nice, pleasant conversation, too.” Lex shook his head, sipping again from his champagne flute.

Superman flew away from Mazik’s jewelry store and passed the masked men to the police waiting outside. He was on his way to The Planet when he heard Lucy scream for help. He was at the apartment in two seconds. Sam and Lois stood in the living room as he came in the window.

“Superman!” Lois gasped in delight.

“Where’s Lucy?”

“She left for the office not ten minutes ago,” Sam told him.

“Stay here until I bring her back,” he said, diving out the window again.

Superman flew over the city, knowing she was in enough danger to call to him only once, meaning that someone was stopping her from calling out to him a second time. The only credible threat was Lex Luthor, so he thought about what he knew of him. If he had grabbed her from outside the apartment building, then he would probably still be in a limousine or town car heading away from her apartment as well as away from the Daily Planet.

He found a car matching that description, stopped at a red light. Superman flew down and stood before it, holding up his hand. He did a quick x-ray of the car. He saw Lucy grab the shirts of the two men on either side of her, bang their heads together in front of her, then push them at Lex before opening the car door. Guess she had developed a little super strength after all. He was at the door in time to help her out. He ripped the tape from her mouth.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

She nodded, then proceeded to pass out. He scooped her up into his arms flying her directly to the apartment as the car drove off.

“Oh, my God, Lucy!” Sam said, following Superman to Lucy’s bedroom. “Is she all right?”

Superman laid her on the bed. “She passed out, Sam. Could you?” He couldn’t say more. His heart was choking his vocal cords. He sat down on the bed next to her and removed her heavy coat.

Sam took hold of her wrist and placed a hand on her forehead.

Lois was at the door. “What happened?”

“Lex Luthor nabbed her,” Superman replied. “Is she all right, Sam? If he did anything to her…”

“Her heart rate is a bit up. But I don’t have my doctor’s kit with me; I can’t check all of her vitals.”

Superman was gone and back in less than three seconds with Sam’s doctor bag.

“Clark,” Lucy said, coming out of the faint as Sam placed a blood pressure monitor on her arm.

“I’m right here, Lucy,” he said, holding her hand, caressing her face.

“Superman.” She smiled, gazing up at him. “You heard me. You saved me.”

“Always, Lucy. Always.”

“I warned him not to mess with me. Did you get him?”

He shook his head. “He drove off. But you clobbered those thugs pretty well.”

“Lucy clobbered some thugs?” Lois asked, incredulously.

“She knows karate, too,” he explained. Although Lucy hadn’t used it to subdue the men who had taken her.

“Oh.” Lois accepted this answer.

“Can you check her heart rate?” Sam asked, nodding toward Lucy’s tummy.

Clark’s brow furrowed. Sam sounded worried. He glanced at Lois, who was staring at him, and then over at Sam.

“Lois, Princess, can you wait for us in the living room? Please.”

She rolled her eyes at them and stepped away from the door.

Clark placed his hand under Lucy’s shirts and sweaters, directly on her belly and counted. “Same as always.”

“That’s good.”

“Since Lucy’s okay, I’m going to my breakfast with Perry. The town car should be waiting downstairs,” Lois called from the other room.

“You’re not going anywhere,” Superman told her.

“Yes, I am,” she retorted with a raised eyebrow. “I have breakfast plans with Perry. I’m not going to break them because of my crazy ex-husband. I’m not going to let him continue to ruin my life.”

Sam indicated the windows with his head.

“Sam, I can see you just fine and hear you wherever you are, so you might as well tell him right here,” Lucy informed him. Nothing got past her.

“Lucy, your blood pressure is up more than I like. I’m recommending bed rest to see if we can get it to go down.”

Clark looked at Sam with fear. “What does that mean?”

“Too much excitement in my ho-hum life,” Lucy told him.

“That’s right, sweetie,” Sam agreed, patting her hand.

“Did he do anything to you?” Superman asked. He felt like he had when Jefferson Cole had taken her at S.T.A.R. Labs. “Inject you with anything?”

“As if he could.” Lucy smiled at him reassuringly. “He threatened to use me as a hostage for Lois. But I told him you don’t negotiate with terrorists and you’d never give her back to him.”

Superman accepted her reassurance and returned her smile.

“That’s good to hear,” piped in Lois from the doorway. She was back.

“You aren’t leaving the apartment without an escort from now on,” Superman told her, then he turned to Lois. “Either of you.”

“I was going to go with Lois to her breakfast with Perry, but I think I should stay and keep an eye on Lucy,” said Sam.

“Great!” Lois threw up her hands. “Because she got a little faint, I’ve get to miss out on my breakfast with Perry? That seems fair. You promised me I wasn’t your prisoner.”

“I’ll come with you,” Superman told her.

Lois raised an eyebrow and placed her hands on her hips. “I thought you didn’t run errands.”

“She’s right,” murmured Lucy. “You can’t be our personal body guard twenty-four / seven, Superman.”

“Speak for yourself,” Lois retorted with a grin and a slight bite on her bottom lip. “He can be my personal twenty-four / seven bodyguard, any time he likes.”

“Lois.” Superman sighed. She really had to stop saying such things in front of other people, especially her father. “I’ll get Clark Kent.”

“I’m sure he’s busy,” snapped Lois. She really wanted him, Superman him.

“I’m sure he is, too,” replied Superman, a hint of a smile coming to his eyes as he gazed at Lois. He missed her too. “But he needs to eat breakfast, just like everyone else. He’ll want to help.”

She had caught his look, because he saw her return it. It was so nice having the subtleties of non-verbal communication with her. “Can I talk to you for a minute, Superman?” Lois asked him.

He glanced down at Lucy. “Are you going to be okay?”

“I’ve got Sam. I’ll be fine.” Lucy smiled encouragingly at him, then lowered her voice to under a whisper. “Enjoy your date with Lois.”

Superman kissed her forehead. Then went to the living room where Lois was waiting. He took both her hands into his and she sighed staring at him. He realized it was the first time she had ever really had the chance to look at him close up.

Lois reached up and touched his cheek. “I was right that first night. You do look divine,” she breathed the words more than spoke them.

Superman lowered his head slightly, trying not to blush.

“I just wanted to make sure that you were still my Mr. Amazing,” she whispered, resting her head on his chest.

“Always,” he replied softly. “But we can’t really talk now. You’ve got your breakfast with the Mayor and your father is probably listening as best he can from the other room. He doesn’t trust me around you.”

“I’ve noticed that, too.” Lois giggled. “Do you have a reputation I should be worried about?” It was obvious that she didn’t believe he had.

With a shake of his head, Superman whispered, “Can you leave the window unlatched for me tonight?” He placed his cheek against hers. “I need to see you. Alone.”

“Every night,” she replied and wrapped her arms around his waist, pulling him closer.

Lucy had warned him that Lois would say that. He hated that Lucy was always right. “No, just tonight.”

Lois bit her bottom lip. “On the condition that you bring me a Christmas tree in a stand.”

Superman chuckled with a slight groan. “So, now I must come bearing gifts?”

“If you want…” She shrugged. “We’re doing Christmas here, despite the Scrooges, Lucy and Clark, if you want to come.”

“We’ll see, Lois. Don’t be so hard on Lucy. She has a lot on her plate right now.”

“Fine.” Lois rolled her eyes with a pout. “I’ll be nice.”

“Thank you,” Superman murmured, kissing that pout off her lips. “Now, I’ll go find Clark, so you can thumb your nose at your ex-husband by having breakfast with the Mayor.” He placed another gentle kiss on her lips and then flew out the window and down to the street, where he spun into his business suit and returned upstairs via the elevator. He did lead a crazy life.

*** End of Part 6 ***

Comments

Chapter 5: Part 7

Last edited by VirginiaR; 01/12/15 04:34 PM. Reason: Fix Broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.