Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks for commenting!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I can sense Clark's composure, his will to keep secrets from Lois, crumbing. He made mistakes, several times in this chapter, mistakes that if Lois would just stop smile1

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Although I don't like blame going around, I'm glad Lois realized that she should have wondered about Clark's disappearance sooner.

But I *wanted* Clark to expect more from me. I wanted him to know without a doubt that I would stop him if he tried to leave again, that I would look for him if he disappeared, that I would never let anyone hurt him again. Helping him shave was just a symbol of my silent promise to him.
This is good insight into Lois' character -- especially at the point of falling for Clark/realizing he's Superman in canon. She is uncertain how to proceed in showing what she feels for him, having been hurt and rejected in the past. So she's 'finding her way' through small steps--like helping him shave. Very realistic insight, I think. It's usually the small gestures people do when things are tough to show what they are really feeling.

I do wonder, though... when is Lois going to pick up on the sunlight/Superman connection?
"It must be the sunlight," I said with a puzzled frown. "You'd almost think it had healing powers the way you sit in it all the time."
Come on, Lois! Put those investigating skills to good use! wink

"I'd ask him if he's happy being Superman. If being rescuer, savior, and world icon is enough for him. I would ask him if a...a half life...is enough to sustain him. Because I think that's something he needs to know. Something *I* need to know, now more than ever."
Another intriguing insight. Clark misses being Superman--and realizes without his powers, he is still half of a whole--because Superman is part of who he is.

Another excellent part!! hyper

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just a minor factoid - in its cycle, the Moon gets lit on all sides.
Mercury has a side that doesn't get light. (The last time I checked. New facts may prove that wrong as well.)

Otherwise - Lois, start using your brain!

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
the black bruise adorning--scarring--his sharp wrist. Like pieces of darkness torn from our cell to rest beneath his flesh with the appearance of inescapable manacles
and
And I wondered if the darkness of that cell was actually encased in my heart even more so than in Clark's flesh.
Poetic and horrifying all at once.

"It must be the sunlight," I said with a puzzled frown. "You'd almost think it had healing powers the way you sit in it all the time."
Another clue, Lois. You seem to be collecting the whole set, yet missing their import. (Of course, having seen Clark and 'Superman' side by side would make it a lot harder to conclude that they are the same person, at least until she first figures out that the red-caped dude is an imposter.)

"So much admiration," Clark murmured, almost as if he spoke only to himself. His eyes roved over the multitude of items left behind by well-wishers from all over the world. "So much acceptance...not alienation. Not fear. Not distrust. And yet...what good is it now? He's stolen it from me."
Ouch.

"I would ask him...is he happy?"

"What?" I blinked, caught off-guard.

"I'd ask him if he's happy being Superman. If being rescuer, savior, and world icon is enough for him. I would ask him if a...a half life...is enough to sustain him. Because I think that's something he needs to know. Something *I* need to know, now more than ever."
Intriguing. I don't know what question I would have thought Clark would ask, but I do know it wouldn't have been that one.

"I wasn't as bad off as you seem to think."
That he can put such a positive spin on his captivity, if only for Lois' benefit, shows a lesser-known of his abilities: super-resilience.

"After all, Lois, it's impossible to be depressed while thinking about you."
I'm a goo-puddle now.

It's nice to see them starting, if ever so gradually, to come back into the light.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., Virginia, don't forget another really major mistake Clark made -- his starting to say that he was poisoned by Kryptonite.

I am more convinced than ever now that Clark wants to tell Lois who he is, and is even eager to do so now, but that he can't for fear of reprisal. That one of the conditions for their freedom and safety was that he keep his mouth shut on the topic.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Like pieces of darkness torn from our cell to rest beneath his flesh with the appearance of inescapable manacles.
Love this description.

How could Clark not blame me for, if nothing else, at least the duration of his imprisonment? As nice as he was, as much as he liked me, didn't human nature itself *demand* that some part of him--no matter how small and neglected a part--hate me for what had happened to him?
How little you understand him, Lois. frown

And I wondered if the darkness of that cell was actually encased in my heart even more so than in Clark's flesh. His bruises would fade and disappear, banished by the light; mine might fester and grow in shadows.
Another awesome description.

"I think so." He said it confidently, but I wasn't sure how far I could trust his assessment of his own condition since he had, after all, tried to tell me he felt fine the same night Superman rescued us.
Oooh, is he starting to get better thanks to the little bit of sunlight he's absorbed?

"Let me do it," I offered impulsively.

Clark froze. "I...I don't think..."

"It can't be that hard," I interrupted, setting aside the papers and standing up. "Come on."
whinging So incredibly sad! whinging

Another wonderful chapter! I love how much Clark and Lois are opening up to each other. I'm hoping that Clark's near-slipups is a sign that he'll tell Lois about himself soon. Looking forward to the next chapter!!!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I am not one to quote back the story to comment. I just want to say that this was so beautifully done and touching. When Clark saw all the admiration he got as Superman, that was just beautiful. I hope Lois is smart enough to figure things out soon. Clark can't tell her because Superman clone is listening. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hey, everyone, thanks for the feedback! I'm glad the time between asking the questions and getting the answers isn't scaring everyone off! smile

VirginiaR, thanks for commenting. I do dislike Kryptonite vehemently, but that doesn't stop me from writing about it. wink As to why Lois hasn't figured it out...well, it's hard to rewrite our own realities as we perceive them, and there are two men in front of her. huh

Thanks, mozartmaid! I love how you spelled out the insights--very true! Glad you're enjoying!

Dandello, I realize that the dark side of the moon changes and gets lit, but it's actually not a commonly known fact. Literature, songs, and poems--not to mention science-fiction works--are filled with references to the 'fact' that part of the moon is permanently in darkness. Lois, not an astronomer by any means, is simply speaking out of that misconception.

Glad you realize how hard it would be to make the connection between Clark and Superman for Lois, Lynn. And I love your super-resilience line--so true!!

Deadly Chakram, Henderson was simply reading the list of what he had and Jimmy is getting that Clark had written down. In the editing process, I'll try to make that a bit clearer. Glad you noticed the steel statue! laugh I just couldn't resist.

Thank you very much for your kind words, Laurach! So glad you like it!

Thanks, everyone!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Deadly Chakram, Henderson was simply reading the list of what he had and Jimmy is getting that Clark had written down. In the editing process, I'll try to make that a bit clearer. Glad you noticed the steel statue! I just couldn't resist.
Ah, ok. I thought I missed something. And I love that you couldn't resist the steel statue! I *love* little things like that!

I'll have to read the next part in the morning/afternoon. I'm about 4 minutes for heading to bed.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
This line is breaking my heart:

And yet...what good is it now? He's stolen it from me."
This makes sense from Lois' POV:

Could Clark, even if only subconsciously, be blaming the superhero for not rescuing him earlier?
Now you've got me wondering if this really is a clone:

I would ask him if a...a half life...is enough to sustain him
Here's another powerful part:

Lois, I was so used to seeing everything and hearing so much and always having to be somewhere, always needed by someone. But...well, in the dark, it was quiet, and...and I wasn't always needed, wasn't constantly being bombarded by sensation."
It was touching that Lois thought of things from Clark's POV and wondered why Superman hadn't saved him.

Joan

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
POV and perception is a big theme of this story, scifiJoan, so I love all your comments bringing that out! And, given what Lois knows, it would be a miracle if Clark didn't have some residual dark emotions from his captivity!

Thanks for the great feedback!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Bruises ringed Clark's wrist.
I know how you meant it, but I just couldn't resist the notion that the bruises are from Lois clamping onto Clark during the night.

Like pieces of darkness torn from our cell to rest beneath his flesh with the appearance of inescapable manacles.
Awwwww

And it was my fault.
Of course it is. After all, it's always been Clark's fault when he didn't get there in time.

How could Clark not blame me for, if nothing else, at least the duration of his imprisonment? As nice as he was, as much as he liked me, didn't human nature itself *demand* that some part of him--no matter how small and neglected a part--hate me for what had happened to him?
Yes, human nature is such a fickle thing.

Instead, he tried to comfort me. He soothed my fears and chased my nightmares away. He gave and gave and gave, stark contrast to my suspicions and frustration and stubbornness.
He really is the perfect brother. Maybe you should tell him?

But what about me? Would *I* ever be able to heal?
Hmm... for some reason it strikes me as quite self-obsessed.

Almost nervously, he reached up and adjusted his glasses. "I...I wasn't sure I'd be able to."
wave

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
The sarcasm was dripping in this feedback, Darth Michael--I loved it (sarcasm might be the lowest form of wit, but it's a lot of fun)!

Oh, and by the way, is your day job a defense attorney for Luthor and his friends? laugh

The double-meanings during the conversations are the hardest (and one of the funnest) things about this story. In fact, I'm having to go over every bit of dialogue a hundred times to make sure every word is placed right. I'll have to wait till the end of the story to see if I succeeded or not.

rotflol LOVED the comment about Che Lex! It was so funny I had to call my Mom in to read it--thanks for that!

Lois? Drive Clark away? There's a thought. smile

Thanks!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
blush

Umm... well... they pay' certainly good. And so long as you don't embezzle, you're quite safe. If you don't get disbarred.

smile

smile

There's a thought.
And a nice plot bunny. Can you imagine, Tempus showing up all confused why Lois is alone and Clark with Mayson?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard