Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks to everyone for their encouragement--and to my beta-readers, Anonpip, DW, and Morgana! I'm so glad other people love L&C as much as I do!

Top Banana
Top Banana
I grinned up at Perry--he and I had always been something of kindred spirits, the ink in our veins connecting us as closely as if we were truly related by blood.
I loved this little metaphor. smile

"I've written the directions down," Clark said slowly, pulling a piece of paper out from beneath his leg. "But memorize them, Jimmy, and then burn the paper as fast as you can. And don't ever read or speak the directions out loud--you never know who's listening. And don't tell anyone where you're going. Can you do all that?"
Hmm... wonder where Clark is sending Jimmy? I would think the safest place to hide his Luthor files would be at his parents', but he's obviously not having Jimmy drive to Kansas...

"Clark, I *need* to see him."

"I know that." He placed his own hand atop mine, the weight of it sturdy and comforting, the feverish heat of it frightening. "But, Lois...I..." He withdrew his hand to run it through his hair, a nervous habit that was as familiar as it was endearing.
The Superman clone tension is working really well... there are little clues for Lois if she would see them (the way he had responded to the Superman article, for one). But, then again, Lois Lane isn't famous for putting together the clues Clark Kent lays out for her... back to the quote, though, I was almost certain Clark was about to tell her more... yet, how could he really explain, especially without his powers? Really interesting twist in angst with this story: a vulnerable Clark, with an unpredictable Superman, and watching it all from Lois' POV... really interesting, and with your writing, really emotionally compelling!

Given my cooperation, Clark didn't seem to know what to do with it.
Love it laugh

What is your deal with sunlight, anyway?"

Pulling the blankets up around himself, Clark shrugged. "I don't know all the specifics, but...it makes me feel stronger, better, more alive."
In canon, do you or anyone else remember when Lois learns about this particular Superman trait? Just wondering if it's something she should already know, and thus a clue for putting CK=S together.

Oh, and I loved this ending:
"Of course. And you...dream of the sun."

"Always." It was the same reply he had made when I asked if he dreamed of me, and I had the distinct impression that he considered it to be the same question. That should have made me uncomfortable; it should have scared me into thinking up a way to get him out of my apartment. Instead, I found myself smiling as I walked back to the living room.

I don't know why I was surprised. Clark had always had that effect on me.
A subdued chapter, but still very telling in its characterizations.... I can't wait for more! I get a little thrill every time I see a new chapter posted! smile1

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I grinned up at Perry--he and I had always been something of kindred spirits, the ink in our veins connecting us as closely as if we were truly related by blood.
Love the image here.

When the superhero wasn't on the screen, Clark seemed edgy and unsure, constantly glancing out the windows and jumping at small sounds.
frown

Finally, just after dinner--a dinner at which Clark ate even less than he had at breakfast or lunch--
Hopefully not from Ralph's Pagoda. That might just kill poor Clark.

Finally, even Jimmy could tell that Clark was exhausted and needed some rest, but when the kid stood to leave, Clark roused and grabbed hold of Jimmy's arm. "Don't go," he protested. "I haven't seen you in so long."
Awwwwwww! smile

The truth was, I had only been able to write the retrospective Superman article because I had learned how to do what I termed the "touchy-feely" stuff from Clark. In fact, I had written a great deal of that article by imagining what he would have said and how he would have said it.
Not such a hack, huh Lois? laugh

I allowed myself to simply watch him for a moment, stunned by the amount of protectiveness I could feel toward a single person.
Beautiful. laugh

"Well then..." I paused, suddenly realizing that in a bizarre sort of way, I was tucking him in. In all the scenarios I had dreamt up over the last two months of what we'd do if I ever saw him again, this had not even been a possibility.
rotflol I love how protective Lois is!

"Always." It was the same reply he had made when I asked if he dreamed of me, and I had the distinct impression that he considered it to be the same question
*nods* Very perspective Lois. You ARE Clark's sun...and moon...and stars...and universe...

Love it all! More please! My heart is breaking for both Lois and Clark. And I love that Jimmy is off to help them collar Luthor...but why do I get the feeling Jimmy night get into some trouble....

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Powerful chapter. Poor Clark has to be so careful. When is the fake Superman going to strike. Why did he let them get away?Won't Jimmy be in danger now? Sheesh! More soon! Lois is just being Lois but I really want her to smarten up in this one. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I hate seeing Clark so weak and helpless. Like Lois I mourn for the Clark he used to be. Was there another reason he didn't want Jimmy to go? Was he nervous being around Lois alone? Or had he just missed Jimmy?

Where is Jimmy going? I too would guess Smallville, except that it is too obvious, so I can't see him sending Jimmy there. Unless he's sending Jimmy where his folks are, which is another reason he wants Jimmy to be extra careful. But then again, Jimmy could be followed, so I can't see Clark sending Jimmy to his folks. So, you've got me stumpted. confused

It was painful hearing Lois tell Clark how much she needed to see Superman. I could sense the pain she caused Clark with this simple statement. How much does it hurt Clark that Lois so readily accepts the substitute Superman, when she had so easily loved the real one? Does he not realize that the more exposure she has to the fake Superman, the more likely she will realize he is fake? (As she did with Vatman) Of course, I'm sure Clark doesn't want to take that chance, knowing that 50/50 bet is one he could easily lose.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! eek So much going on here we don't know the whys. I'm so curious to what Clark told Henderson so secretly! Does Henderson know the truth? And will Lois sneak off to find Superman and end up finding out more than she wants to know? help

And I don't see Clark hiding any evidence anywhere near M&J's hiding place as I think he would have taken them far far away; and he said Jimmy could drive to this place, so I would assume he would have mentioned if it was really far away so I think this is closer to Metropolis.

So much fun imagining! We're just chomping at the bit waiting for more! Please, please, pretty please, hurry!! hyper

EvelynC
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Aww poor Clark struggling. Love that Lois stayed behind with him and didn't go out to find Superman but come on Lois! Open your eyes!!

Despite myself, I chuckled. "I knew you'd ask that, so I made sure of it. What is your deal with sunlight, anyway?"

Pulling the blankets up around himself, Clark shrugged. "I don't know all the specifics, but...it makes me feel stronger, better, more alive."
Does he sometimes forget himself or maybe want her to figure it out?

Love it!

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I haven't time to write much now, but I just had to say that I thought the following line was brilliant:

"Always." It was the same reply he had made when I asked if he dreamed of me, and I had the distinct impression that he considered it to be the same question.
Another excellent, if still somewhat painful to read, part.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm a little worried that the fake Superman has been eavesdropping on L&C all the while and that he sees Clark give Jimmy the directions.

Will the fake Superman follow Jimmy?

I'm hoping that Bizarro will be too bored to be keeping an eye on our heroes. Plus, Clark has been watching TV, and hopefully he's only talking to Jimmy about this while Bizarro is otherwise occupied.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
Plus, Clark has been watching TV, and hopefully he's only talking to Jimmy about this while Bizarro is otherwise occupied.
Good point! I think you're right. This is why he kept Jimmy around long after Lois thought he would. He was waiting until Clonerman was otherwise occupied. That nick-name still really sounds bad. blush Although, truth be told, still better than 'Vatman'. laugh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Please, please, somebody smack that girl upside the head and tell her to snap out of it! I can't take much more of this! Aaaarg!!! It's totally in character, and does not give me the impression for one moment of "angst for angst's sake" - it's not like I think you are unnecessarily prolonging our agony here, but it's so hard to take! These chapters are almost painful to read. Please let her pick up on one of the many, many clues right in front of her face, soon!

Despite her total cluelessness concerning Superman, it *is* nice to see how protective she is with Clark. And good point, Virginia, that maybe if she sees more of fake-Superman she's make the same discovery she did in Vatman. Although, in Vatman, it took a kiss to make her see - which would make for a very scary scenario in this particular story!

Looking forward to more. (And, as I said before, I'm looking forward to a more frequent posting schedule! Please, soon? grovel )

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks, mozartmaid! I love how you phrased that--the fact that Lois Lane isn't famous for putting the clues together! smile And I'm glad it's compelling--that was what I was trying for!

As to your question, I don't remember when it becomes common knowledge. During the heat-wave, not even Clark or his parents knew for sure if he got his powers from the sun. And even in the fourth season on Stop The Presses, the Press brothers only knew that he was solar-powered after they read S.T.A.R.Labs' classified file on Superman, so presumably it wasn't public knowledge.

smile at your comment about Ralph's Pagoda, Deadly Chakram. Strangely enough, that will come in later. And I loved your comment about Clark's sun, moon, stars, and universe. As to Jimmy getting in trouble... :p

Thanks, Laurach! Unfortunately, everyone in the world always knows just one more Secret than Lois does.

That's a lot of questions, VirginiaR! Hopefully, they'll all be answered...eventually. wink

Thanks, EvelynC! I promise, I am trying to hurry on writing this. Glad you're enjoying it so much!

Good question, jackiek. The answer to that one will come a bit sooner than most of the others!

Thanks, Lynn! blush

Great theories, IolantheAlias! I'm amazed at how creative everyone on these boards are--I should have posted this as I wrote it and let all of you come up with the solutions! goofy

Had to laugh at your comment, Vicki! Lois's cluelessness is, of course, an integral part of the story, but I know what you mean abut wanting her to see the light! laugh And I'm glad her protectiveness of Clark is coming across well!

Thanks, everyone, for the great comments!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
at your comment about Ralph's Pagoda, Deadly Chakram. Strangely enough, that will come in later. And I loved your comment about Clark's sun, moon, stars, and universe. As to Jimmy getting in trouble...
Awesome! Can't wait to see Ralph's Pagoda make an appearance! Glad you enjoyed my litle comment on what make's up Clark's entire existance. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Isn't this the truth?

Clark had believed in Jimmy, had always been there to help him and encourage him to aspire to better things--and Jimmy had needed that. *I* hadn't done that for Jimmy, nor had anyone else in the newsroom. Though we respected him for the information he could dig up for us and found him useful for running errands, we certainly didn't look at him and see a future editor-in-chief.
How sweet that Lois is actually trying to help Clark. I hope he'll recover soon, though after so many doses of Kryptonite, it's hard to say what happened to Clark.

Joan

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Vicki:
Please, please, somebody smack that girl upside the head and tell her to snap out of it! I can't take much more of this! Aaaarg!!! It's totally in character, and does not give me the impression for one moment of "angst for angst's sake" - it's not like I think you are unnecessarily prolonging our agony here, but it's so hard to take! These chapters are almost painful to read. Please let her pick up on one of the many, many clues right in front of her face, soon!
The real problem is, for Lois to realize the truth of the matter, she'd have to first figure out that it's more likely that Clark's Superman and Superman's a clone, than to assume that there's Clark and then there's Superman. And so far, he hasn't done anything stupid, like drooling all over Lois. And yet, it's *soooo* frustrating to wait to have those clues that appear obvious to us revealed, proven to our own assumption, or even disproven. But then again, all will be revealed in the next 16 parts. Just a couple more weeks. No comparison to situations where you're in a multi-book cycle spanning by now 15 years and the secrets are still hidden behind POVs, some of them not even alive any longer. Now, *that's* agonizingly frustrating.

Perry took my arm and led me to the other side of the room; he knew me too well to think that I wouldn't have tried to stand close enough to hear their whispers. "What are we going to print in the afternoon edition?"
They *have* to both be in the know. What I don't get, is why doesn't Clark tell Lois. It's not like she'd be in any more danger since *he* already knows.

"Yeah," Perry said with a smile I could tell was forced. "Uh, yeah, he's Clark. You...you take care of him, all right? He...well, let's just say he needs you. Just...just be careful with him."
I'm *realllllly* reading this as he knows. And he's trying to have Lois take care of Clark.

"Just don't let Cat know," I warned, only partly sarcastically.
I'm sure she'd be having to give him lot's of TLC.

I mean, Clark was too weak to even stand on his own--did they think I'd just abandon him to go out chasing leads? The loud thump as I firmly shut the door behind them gave me a little vindictive satisfaction--and drowned out the quiet whisper in the back of my mind tempting me to do exactly that.
The scorpion and the frog

"Please." Clark's mouth tightened, turning almost white, his lips tinged a pale blue. "Don't mention me in your story. I don't want my parents to show up while we're...in the middle of this."
Yes, he's taken such great care to hide them.

"Don't go," he protested. "I haven't seen you in so long."
Awww...

"Already?" Clark clearly struggled to sit up straight, his gaze moving to the news. "But I haven't heard about your latest girlfriend."
Oops. What does he want from Jimmy?

"Actually," Clark moved his gaze from another news report about Superman to Jimmy, "I needed to ask you something, Jimmy. As you can see, I can't go anywhere right now, but I need all my records on Luthor, and they're hidden quite a ways away. You still have your car?"
I'll admit, I wondered if he had stored them on the moon.

"But memorize them, Jimmy, and then burn the paper as fast as you can. And don't ever read or speak the directions out loud--you never know who's listening. And don't tell anyone where you're going. Can you do all that?"
Wouldn't it be best if he did it here?

"No. But why did you tell him he couldn't even keep the directions?"

"Luthor's dangerous, Lois."
Yes, 'Luthor'. Or his lovechild with a frog. I wonder if he's acting on Lex's warning to keep Superman a secret or if that's his doing alone, thinking nobody would believe him.

"I can't sit around and let other people do my running for me! And *Superman*, Clark--he's alive! Do you know what that means?"

"I think I do." His quiet words cut through my arguments and dampened the skitters of impatience sparking through my body. "It means you don't have to blame yourself anymore. It means you're freed of all the guilt you've heaped on yourself. It means your dreams...can still come true. It means a second chance."
One conversation. Two entirely different meanings.

"Clark," I finally whispered. I was reluctant to disturb him, but I knew he'd sleep better on the cot the police had set up under a window in the bedroom--the cot he had earlier made me promise would be his. "Clark, wake up."
A cot? But they'd been so comfortable last night.

"I don't know all the specifics, but...it makes me feel stronger, better, more alive."
I wonder why he keeps giving her clues. Does he want her to figure it our? Is he just not thinking clearly?

It was the same reply he had made when I asked if he dreamed of me, and I had the distinct impression that he considered it to be the same question.
Awwwwwww wave

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks, scifiJoan! I've always liked Clark and Jimmy's relationship and how it's defined on the show, so I'm glad that came through a bit here. And as to Clark recovering from the Kryptonite--I had one reader tell me he recovered too slow and another tell me it was too fast, so huh Good thing it's not an exact science! smile

No comparison to situations where you're in a multi-book cycle spanning by now 15 years and the secrets are still hidden behind POVs, some of them not even alive any longer. Now, *that's* agonizingly frustrating.
Oh, you read Wheel of Time, too, do you, Darth Michael? laugh

I had never heard of 'The Scorpion and the Frog,' but that does sound exactly like Lois!

I thought about the moon as a possible hiding place, as well (great minds think alike, you know wink ), but that makes it kind of hard for Jimmy to drive there. huh

Loved the 'One conversation; two entirely different meanings' comment. How often is that true?

Thanks for commenting!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by AntiKryptonite:
Oh, you read Wheel of Time, too, do you, Darth Michael? laugh
Song of Ice and Fire. Of course, now I'm not sure if I should be relieved or worried that it's a common theme.

but that makes it kind of hard for Jimmy to drive there. huh
Space ship? Don't they have them for rent at the local Space'R'Us?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Darth Michael:
Space ship? Don't they have them for rent at the local Space'R'Us?

Michael
Nah, but they *do* have them for rent at Walmart, provided you give them 24 hours notice. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Wheel of Time is great--I'd definitely recommend it. And hey, the last one's coming out in March, so there won't be a long wait for you--for me...well, I've been waiting since I was a kid. smile

And where exactly might I find one of these spaceships? I was going to cancel the trip to the moon, but if they're cheap enough... laugh

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard