Okay... another part you've been waiting on.

Thanks to everyone still reading and commenting. I know I've slacked off the responses, but I'm still reading them.

Enjoy!

++++

Another call for Superman pulled Clark from the couch after Lois went to shower. On the way back he stopped and grabbed breakfast. He stepped into the bedroom to grab some clothes when Lois came out of the bathroom. She was wrapped in his robe, drying her hair with a towel.

And she looked just as good as she did in his shorts.

"Hey," she said as she made her way over to the dresser.

"Hey."

"Shower's all yours."

"Breakfast is on the counter."

"Thanks." She pulled the towel down and dug around in her bag.

"What's wrong?" he asked of her expression.

"I have *got* to get some clothes. I can't wear your sweats in public."

"Well, you *could*," he said with a sly smile.

She let out a snort of laughter. "Yeah, you'd like that."

"Yes, ma'am," he mumbled as he rooted around in his closet for a pair of pants.

"You do know I can hear you?" she repeated what he'd told her earlier.

"You do know I want you to?" he shot right back.

She laughed softly as she went back to drying her hair. "Think maybe I could wash my underwear?"

"That might be a good idea. Somehow I don't think mine would look quite the same on you," he said as he decided on a pair of slacks.

Lois let her eyes glide over his back side. "No, I don't believe they would."

He couldn't help but smile at the way she said that. He turned and dropped his pants on the bed, along with a shirt. "What happened to all of your things when you...?" He stopped unable to utter those words.

"Lost my mind?" she finished for him. He made a face, still not able to voice what he meant. She stopped moving the towel and furrowed her brows. "You know, I'm not sure. I know I moved them to the penthouse. Of course, where my stuff went from the penthouse is anybody's guess. I wasn't able to take anything with me to prison. Had to buy it all right there." She stopped drying her hair again. "You don't know anything about how money appeared in my account every week, do you?"

"I'd say ask Perry," Clark said and turned away from her.

"Yeah, well, I know he was the one putting it there to begin with, but funny thing happened. It increased shortly after the first time I met you."

"That *is* strange," he commented as he flipped through his shirts.

"Yeah," she replied with a hint of a smile on her face.

"I'll get Jack to look into where your stuff's disappeared to," he said when he turned back around. She was drying her hair again, thank goodness.

"He seems like a good kid."

"He is. He and his brother, Denny were homeless for a while after their parents died, and he stole to feed them. But he's grown up a lot."

"Not this shirt," she told him as she picked it up from where he'd tossed it on the bed.

"Why not? I always wear that shirt with those pants." He placed his hands on his hips and stared at her.

"Because I'm gonna wear it," she replied with a smile.

"Really?"

"Yep." She walked over to his closet and pulled out a belt. "Too big," she mumbled and put it back. She rummaged through his selection for a moment before she sighed. "I need to gain a few pounds," she decided. When she looked at him, he turned away. "I suppose you think I'm just fine. Nice and thin, the way most men prefer."

"I'm not most men," Clark said as he stuck his wallet in his back pocket. He'd changed into a pair of jeans when he'd come back from his rescue earlier.

"Does that mean you think I could use a few extra pounds?"

"Yeah," he told her as he looked back at her. "You are a little small."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "Does that mean you like big women?"

"What?" he asked her.

"Well?"

He shook his head, again, and searched out his flip flops. "I don't think liking a person has a thing to do with their size. I'm more attracted to a person's personality." He was standing in the doorway of the bedroom when he finished speaking.

"You're attracted to my personality?" she asked him.

"Oh yeah," he said with a grin and headed into the living room to pick up his glasses from the coffee table.

"Where ya' going?" she wanted to know as she followed him into the other room.

"To buy you some clothes."

"Yeah, right," she said with a snort.

"Would you prefer to wear my robe?" he wanted to know as he stopped at the bottom of the landing.

"Well, no..."

"Okay, then." He jogged up the steps and reached for the door knob. "Back in twenty." He left her standing there with her mouth half open, whatever she was going to say stuck in her throat.

Buying her some clothes was a good excuse to get some air. Being near Lois sent his equilibrium into a tailspin. What he'd felt earlier when she was messing with him was hard to describe. Torture was the word that came to mind. He'd felt desire before. He'd acted on his desires, fulfilled them. Yet, one look at her and he'd realized he'd never even been close. The powerful surge he felt from her actually scared him. It had taken every ounce of willpower to keep from touching her, tasting her. She'd been so close. Her full, inviting lips seemed to call to him. When she'd drawn away, he was both relieved and disappointed.

And now all he wanted was to be close to her again. He was like a drowning man who had gotten a fresh breath of air. He wanted more. *Needed* more. From what she said she felt something for him. Thrilled and apprehensive all at the same time, he knew he'd have to tread carefully. Lois had a long way to go to climb out of the emotional abyss she was trapped in.

There was also two other people to think about. But maybe their mutual attraction to one another was a good thing where the kids were concerned. It sure couldn't hurt.

Lois had just finished drying her hair when the phone rang. Thinking maybe she should let the machine answer, she headed into the living room. By the third ring, her impatience ran out and she picked up the receiver beside the couch.

"Hello?"

"Ah, yes. I need to speak to Clark please."

"He's not in. Could I take a message?"

"Tell him Bernie Klein called..."

"Dr. Klein, it's Lois." She was glad to hear his voice. He'd once been someone she liked and looked to for help from time to time.

"Lois! How are you? I read the articles. Great stuff. Welcome home."

"Thanks, Bernie," she said with a smile. "You needed to speak with Clark?" she prompted. Bernie had a tendency to be a bit scatter brained if you didn't keep him on topic.

"Oh, yes. I have some results for him."

"Good results?" she asked, her heart suddenly slamming against her chest. She hadn't realized until just now how important it was for the twins to be Clark's.

"Well, I think so. He *has* been raising them and they call him daddy..."

"Yes?" she asked him loudly, tears filling her eyes.

"Yes," he said, the smile apparent in his voice. "Without question."

"Lois? What's wrong?"

She turned to see Clark standing behind her, concerned eyes looking at her.

"It's Bernie," she said and held out the phone.

He didn't know whether her tears were a good thing or bad thing. He almost didn't want to answer the call.

Almost.

His eyes never left Lois' as he stepped closer and took the receiver. "Bernie? It's Clark."

"Clark, good. I'm glad I caught you."

"Tell me," he said, still eyeing Lois. She hadn't given him the slightest indication either way.

"Congratulations, Daddy."

He dropped the bag he held and sat down on the couch. "Really?"

"Really. And, Clark, you could have trusted me enough to tell me you were... a little different."

"Wh... what?"

"There's not a glaring difference. It didn't jump out at me or anything, but your DNA is remarkable, as well as the twins. Perry is almost an exact match. Collin's profile closely resembles Lois'. Tell her I destroyed the sample. I'm sure the state doesn't need it anymore. Oh, and I destroyed the others, too. Although, I have a copy of the profiles on a flash drive for you. It's locked up tight though."

"Dr. Klein?" Clark managed after the man's stunning revelation.

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. I want you to know you have a trusted confidant."

"I appreciate that," Clark said with a smile.

"Again, congratulations."

"Thanks." Clark returned the receiver and sat staring at the top of the coffee table, allowing the information to sink in. They were his; they were really his children.

Lois moved around and sat down on the table in front of him, reaching out to take his hands. "Please tell me this is what you wanted."

"I don't think I've ever wanted anything as much as I wanted this," he said softly, turning his hands over to hold hers. He'd fantasized many times about the twins actually being his. To have that fantasy turned into reality was something he couldn't describe. It felt... amazing.

She gave him a watery smile, but couldn't say a word.

"Is this what you wanted?"

"Yes," she whispered, then choked back a sob.

"Then what's wrong?"

"I don't know," she said as another sob escaped.

Clark pulled her into his arms and she cried in earnest. She clung to him, burying her face against his neck, trusting him to chase away her demons again. He held the back of her head with a large hand while his other spread out across her back. This time he did cry with her, silent tears that rolled down his cheeks. At that moment he knew how much she'd lost. He'd been robbed of precious moments, too. This was certainly never how he'd pictured having kids.

A long while later, she took a deep breath, but didn't pull away. "You smell good," she mumbled against his skin.

He laughed softly and turned his face so that he could sniff her neck. "So do you."

"I smell like men's body wash."

He laughed again and drew back far enough to look at her. "Better?" he asked as he lifted his hand to caress her cheek.

"I really am happy with the results," she said with a sincere expression.

"Me, too."

"Gravy, remember?"

He shrugged with a cheeky grin. "Sue me."

Lois laughed softly and leaned back away from him. She reached over and grabbed the bag he'd set down. He'd bought her a simple pair of gray slacks, a gorgeous burgundy blouse, and a pair of black loafers that would probably go with a ton of different outfits. There was also black, sheer socks and new underwear. Granted, not the sexiest underwear she'd ever had, but definitely a far cry from the prison rags she'd worn.

"How in hell did you know what sizes to buy?"

"I'm Superman," he teased her as he stood up. "It's another super power."

She laughed out loud as she followed him into the bedroom. He continued through to the bathroom so he could shower and she took out her new clothes to get dressed. Super power or not, he'd done a heck of a job, she thought as she admired herself in the mirror on his dresser. The only thing missing was a new bra. But the one she had would do for now. Clark had even remembered to get a black belt. Maybe she'd let him go shopping for her. She hated shopping.

"Nice," he said as he walked up behind her, looking at her reflection in the mirror.

"Thank you," she told him with a serious expression.

"You're welcome." He reached out to squeeze her arm, gave her another look that left little doubt just how much he liked what he saw, then stepped over to the closet to look for a tie.

Lois took a deep breath, reminding herself there was so much to do. She didn't have time for what her body was telling her she wanted. Although, she was having an equally hard time trying to convince her mind, too.

A glance at him told her that maybe knowing Clark Kent was a good thing. Besides, thinking about him was better than the pain and bitterness any day.

Much of the day was spent with Lois in conference with Mayson and Perry, after fighting through the throng of press at the Planet. She'd suddenly become the news, a very different situation for her. But a few mumbled 'no comments' and a strong arm from Clark helped them ease into the building easily enough. They'd probably be hounding her at Clark's place when they found out she was staying there.

Her situation was discussed in length. Although a bit reluctant, Lois mentioned a few of her intentions for the future. Mayson also spent the afternoon on video feed with the lawyers in Sydney. She and Lois had discussed a few figures and the details of the settlement were quickly outlined. Final papers would be ready in a day or two. Apparently the foreign law firm wasn't all that concerned about her legal status in the states. According to Australian law, her children were the legal heirs to the Luckaby fortune.

Clark flew to Spain again and by lunch time, he had a follow-up ready for print. Lois had detailed the Delconto organization's rise to the criminal world. She told of Hernandez Delconto, Juan's father, who took over an Asian opium operation during World War One. Hernandez plowed through Asia, the Middle East, then into his home country of Spain. By the start of the next World War, he was a force to be reckoned with. His import/ export business was the perfect cover for his drug operation. He later began smuggling arms to support the many militia around the world. Juan hit the ground running when he took over the organization with a laundering business. By the end of the eighties, it was widely known that Delconto was also a front for an international hit group as well as being known for its many trade endeavors. Illegal alcohol, drugs, arms, and even humans were transported around the world, sold to the highest bidder.

Lois had gotten every bit of her information first hand. Juan had confessed his many sins on his death bed. He'd also provided proof to some of the horrors he'd described. There were shipping forms, manifests, videos, pictures, account numbers, personal logs, and numerous other items of proof. Juan had named names, supplied numbers. He was taking as many as he could to hell with him.

One of the men he'd provided some very incriminating evidence on was Lex Luthor. By day's end, Henderson had turned over enough evidence to the prosecutor to put him away for a long time for crimes ranging from embezzlement to murder. There was even the mention of the state seeking the death penalty.

Martha had waited patiently until late evening to call Clark about the DNA results for the twins. He'd asked her if he could bring Lois to dinner and they'd tell them everything. She'd hung up the phone with a smile on her face. She knew, but she didn't say so.

Close to five, Clark looked up to see Jimmy and Lois in Perry's office. They were all laughing and talking, catching up the way a family does when they've been apart for a while. He hadn't told them about the results Bernie had given him, so he figured now was as good a time as any.

"Hey, Jack, can you join us for a sec?" He was half way to the boss' office when he'd yelled out to the other man.

"Sure thing, CK." Jack crossed the room and they walked in, one after the other.

"Hey, guys. Got a minute?" Clark asked when he went in.

"Sure, son. What's on your mind?" Perry said from his relaxed position, leaning back slightly in his chair, his hands folded across his lap.

Clark looked over at Lois, his expression asking for permission to share their news from the morning phone call. She nodded with a smile and he took a deep breath. "Collin and Perry *are* mine."

Jack and Jimmy both shouted out loud.

Jimmy jumped to his feet and bear hugged Clark. "Congratulations, CK!"

"See? You gonna learn to listen to me," Jack told him as he took a turn hugging his friend.

Clark laughed at him as he stepped back from their exchange. "Thanks, guys!"

"How do you feel about this?" Perry asked Lois. Leave it to him to make sure his 'daughter' was okay.

She glanced up at Clark, a grin on her face. "I think he'll do."

Perry laughed heartily and stood up to walk around the desk. "I think it's ironic as hell, but I like it." He reached out to shake Clark's hand, pumping it vigorously. "I could say I knew what I was doing way back when."

Clark smiled as Perry released his hand. "I guess you did."

"Mayson mentioned that she'd need to talk to you about the legalities when the results were in," Perry told him.

"Yeah. She said we'd discuss it tomorrow."

Jack and Jimmy had been talking a mile a minute behind Clark. Finally Jack reached over and squeezed Lois' shoulder. "How 'bout you and Clark come hang out with me and Jimmy tomorrow night? I play with a band on Friday nights at Lennie's."

"That sounds fun," she told him. "Clark?"

"Yeah. It does." His eyes flashed at her, before he focused on the other man.

"Great!"

"Hey, CK, can you see if Carrie down in advertising will come along?" Jimmy asked him.

"Why don't you ask her?"

"Are you kidding? I have to ask a girl out like ten times before she says yes. You look at 'em and they're ready to go."

Clark rolled his eyes at Jimmy. "They do not."

"Oh, yeah? How many times did you ask Mayson out before she went?"

"I didn't..." He stopped, his cheeks turned red, and he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"See?" Jimmy said again.

"See what?" Lois wanted to know.

"He didn't even have to ask her. *She* asked him out," Jimmy said with a grin. "Women love him."

"They do not," Clark argued. "Besides, if Carrie agreed to go if I asked her, how would that help you?"

"Bar. Drinks," Jack spoke up. "I swear for a reporter, you are the slowest guy in the world." Jack shook his head and headed out the door. "See ya' later," he threw over his shoulder. "I have work to do."

Poor Clark let his head drop toward his chest, laughter threatening to overtake him. Perry, Jimmy, and Lois were all snickering as well.

"On second thought," Jimmy started. "Maybe I *should* ask her myself."

Clark looked at him. "Maybe you should."

Jimmy chuckled and clapped his shoulder before he headed out to finish up his work for the day.

"And you hired this guy?" Lois asked Perry, motioning toward Clark.

"Ah, he'll do," Perry told her, the same thing she'd said of him earlier.

Lois cocked her head to look up at him. "Yeah," she agreed.

"All right," Perry announced. "You two get out of here." He walked back around the desk, confident they'd do as they were told.

Clark stepped through the door and waited for Lois to come out. "How are you?" he asked her. He hadn't seen her very much during the day and wanted to make sure she was fairing well.

"I'm good. Mayson says we have a legal mess with Lex."

"I thought the judge overturned the conviction?"

"He did." They stopped next to his desk. "But I signed a marriage license with Lex Luthor. He never legally changed his name."

"So... your marriage shouldn't be legal," Clark said. He knew the law enough to know that much.

"Right, but..."

"I knew there would be a but."

"He also filed a license in Australia as Luckaby. Apparently I signed that as well. However, with the information in Paul's research, I might have legal grounds to void any marriage. Mayson said she'd have to check into things, call the Australian consulate, yadda, yadda." She motioned with her hand.

"How long does Mayson think you'll be in limbo?"

"Two weeks or more. But she said she'd work as quickly as possible. Guess what else?" she asked with a cheeky grin.

"What?"

"By the end of the week, I'll be as rich as you."

"Really?" His lips spread into a smile of his own.

"The new settlement will need both our approvals when the final draft is done."

"Both? Why?"

"We're in this together," she said matter-of-factly.

Clark's smile faded a bit as he looked at her. "Speaking of our... relationship... Mayson wants to talk to both of us tomorrow."

"Yeah. She told me. We're supposed to meet her at ten."

"Okay." He glanced back at his desk. "I'm done here."

"Okay."

Clark looked at her a moment, wondering if she was ready to meet her twins. He hadn't even asked her to dinner before telling his mother they'd come.

"What?" she asked. She could tell there was something on his mind.

He sighed and glanced away a second. He was actually nervous about asking her to go with him. He wasn't sure how he'd react if she said no.

"I'm ready," she told him, relieving him of the need to ask. She wasn't sure how she knew what was wrong with him, but she knew. Another of the strange things about this new relationship she'd have to analyze.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Good," he said with a wide smile. "Let's go by the apartment so I can change into something more comfortable before we go."

"Not fair," she told him as she walked beside him up the ramp.

"You don't like your clothes?"

"Oh, I love 'em. But a pair of jeans would be even better." She looked down at her feet. "And some new sneakers. Those things I've got are awful."

"Then we'll make a pit stop."

They stepped into the elevator and turned as the door closed. "You can't keep buying me clothes. Someone's gonna start to think I'm a kept woman."

Clark laughed when he realized she was teasing him. "I could just give it all to you and play the part of the kept man."

"Hand it over," she told him with an outstretched hand.

Keeping his eyes on hers, and a hint of a smile on his lips, he reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet. Her eyes looked down at it when he put it in her hand. And when her brown orbs flashed, he realized his mistake. She stuffed his wallet into her bag and turned around to look at their reflections in the shiny, metal doors. He was shaking his head when they opened on the bottom floor.

On the sidewalk they hailed a cab. Clark didn't say a word other than give the cabby directions to City Place- the closest mall.

"How 'bout that?" Lois said after a few moments of silence. He looked over to see her holding his wallet open. "Your picture on your license is actually pretty decent." Her head snapped up so she could look at him. "I'll have to get a new one. Dammit! I hate going to the DMV."

"Do what I do. Go to one out of the city, where it's less crowded. It's all state anyway."

"Smart, Kent," she said and began her perusal of the contents of his wallet again. "Look at them!" she said as she found a picture of the twins. They were covered in mud.

"Dad took that the weekend of the Corn Festival. They were helping him wash the car, but found out that playing in the mud was a lot more fun."

Lois lifted her head and stared out the window, all pretense of a smile gone.

"What?" he prompted.

"I saw them that weekend. Saw all of you," she said without looking around at him.

"In Smallville?"

"Yeah. I'd only been back in the states for a few days. I'd done some searches on the net and found out about the festival. I made a few calls and learned that you were all going to be there." She shrugged. "I wanted to see."

Clark was the one to look the other way now. He was... upset that she'd done that. That she'd been so close, yet remained so far away.

"I wanted to see you, with them."

"What?" he asked as he turned his head back to her.

"I wanted to watch you with them without you knowing I was doing it." Her eyes met his. "I had to know that you really loved them."

"Of course I love them."

"But you didn't know they might be yours. I wanted to know if you loved them without knowing their biology. I know," she said of his strange expression. "It doesn't make sense. I don't understand why I needed to know that, but I did. And I saw. Then I had to take care of all this other stuff before I could be with them." She reached out to grasp his arm. "Please understand."

"Lois, I might never understand everything, but I will try to accept the things you feel you need to do," he assured her. And he meant it. He'd do everything he could to allow her to do what she felt she needed to in order to cope with all that happened to her.

"Even if it makes you mad?"

He sighed and glanced away. How was it she knew him so well? "Yeah, even if it makes me mad," he confessed and turned back to offer her a smile.

She studied his eyes for a moment before deciding that he meant what he said. Squeezing his arm, she relaxed and offered him a smile in return. "Thanks."

"Not a problem." He settled back in for the remainder of the ride while she continued to look through his wallet. "Having fun?"

"Yep. Two credit cards- smart man," she supplied. Her eyes widened when she found another card. "Clark Jerome Kent." His license hadn't had his full name on it, but his social security card did. "I'll be damned. You and Collin share a name."

"Yeah. I'd thought that funny at the time."

"I named him after my brother."

"Your brother?" He didn't know she had a brother.

"Mmm," she mumbled as she continued to look through his personal items. "He died when he was four months old. Heart condition." She lifted her eyes to his. "That's why my mother started seeing Paul again. Daddy withdrew in his depression and I guess she was lonely."

"I'm sorry."

"Yeah, me, too." She gave him a sad smile, then thumbed through his money. "Wow! Do you always keep this much cash?"

"Not until recently." He shrugged. "I figure I have it. Why not use it?"

"I know how much the new expense check will be every month, but how much is it now?"

"Too much." When she gave him a stern glare, he said, "Twenty thousand. Don't tell me the new one will be more than that?"

"Okay. I won't tell you." He laughed softly as she looked up at the mall stretching out in front of them. "It's amazing the things you miss."

"I know. When I traveled overseas, I was often in tiny villages without running water."

"Oh, thank God, Lex paid his bills," she said in exasperation.

Clark laughed again as he opened the door when the cab pulled to stop. "Pay the man, would you?"

Lois wasn't a bit bothered by opening his wallet and pulling out enough money for the ride and a generous tip. When she stepped out on the sidewalk beside him, she held out the leather case. "Maybe you should hold onto this."

"I don't know. I kinda' like the idea of being kept." He pushed his hands into his front pockets and started for the entrance of the mall.

She sighed in frustration and hurried to catch up to him. As he stopped to hold the door open, she reached out and stuffed his wallet into his back pocket, grinning widely at the hitch in his breathing. Her eyes flashed to his and with more gumption than she should, she smoothed her hand over his rear.

"Nice, Kent." She patted once and went inside before he could fully process what she'd done.

Clark had to close his eyes when she touched him. A flash of white heat surged through him like a bolt of lightening. Did she have any idea what she was doing to him? Hell, he'd told her that her teasing affected him. A glance at the devilish grin on her face told him she knew exactly what she did to him. If he wasn't such a gentlemen, he'd give as good as he got.

Shaking his head, he gathered himself together enough to catch up with her. She was looking through a window at a pair of shoes. He prayed he'd have the strength to put up with her because she was certainly exhausting.

Exhilarating, but exhausting.

"Ready?" Clark asked Lois as he stepped up behind her. She was looking out of the door leading to the balcony of his apartment. They'd spent an hour or so at the mall buying her a few new clothes. And he was sure his eyes were going to hurt from staring at her. The snug fitting blue jeans wrapped around her like a glove. She'd chosen a plain, white blouse that allowed everyone to see exactly how female she was. Of course, the new bra she was wearing helped out a bit in that area as well.

He laughed inwardly when he thought about how badly she'd embarrassed him picking out that particular item. Lois had noticed the clerk was openly flirting with him and couldn't resist teasing him a bit. When she'd tried on a bra, she'd stepped out of the dressing room and asked him if it made her breasts look perky. She'd even asked him to squeeze them to make sure. He'd nearly died right there when she'd declared that he didn't have a problem doing so when they were alone. Of course, the poor clerk was barely able to check them out after that. But she hadn't flirted with Clark anymore.

Lois turned and grabbed the jacket she'd picked out from the window seat. When she looked up at Clark, she was the one whose breath hitched. He was wearing jeans, one of those muscle shirts under a button down, denim shirt, and a black, leather jacket. And he wasn't wearing his glasses.

"What?" he asked when she kept staring at him.

"Do you look decent in everything you wear?" she asked as she slipped her jacket on.

He glanced down at himself, then shrugged. He looked the way he always did, but if she liked it...

He grinned and clicked off the lights on their way toward the door. Clark led her toward the back of the building, stopping when they were in the shadows of the alley. He turned toward her, a smile playing on his lips when he heard her heart beginning to race.

"Don't be nervous. I don't plan on dropping you."

"Funny, Kent." She pasted on an expression of pure bravado, daring him to show her what he had.

"I'll have to..." He motioned toward her and reached out to grasp her sides. His eyes held hers as he lifted them off the ground. "Hold on. We'll have to go up pretty quickly." She'd barely placed her hands on his shoulders when they became a flash. When he stopped, she had a death grip on his arms, but her eyes were searching her surroundings. Her face was flushed and her heart thumped slightly different than before. She was excited, he realized.

"That was awesome," she said breathlessly. Her eyes came back to his, flashing in anticipation.

"More?" Seeing her reaction thrilled him. He couldn't remember wanting to fly this much in a long time.

"Oh yeah," she breathed and relaxed her hold on him.

"It'll be easier like this," Clark said and shifted her so he could reach down and lift her in a cradle hold. Before she could protest, they were moving. Lois' arms had automatically circled his neck when he'd grabbed her. Her eyes darted here and there as they flew and slowly she began asking him questions about things she saw. He was glad she'd relaxed and wasn't scared. It was May and the night was warm, but flying so high meant that the air was chilly.

"Are you cold?" he asked her.

"No." Her arms tightened around his neck. "You're nice and toasty." He chuckled softly and continued his narrative of their flight.

"Hold on," he finally told her and descended toward the ground. They landed just behind the barn. He stood there, holding her, looking into her eyes. Slowly he lowered her feet to the dirt.

She eased back, but not completely out of his grasp. Her eyes moved away from his so she could look around.

"Lois, I'm not sure what you're expecting, but they're little. And they don't understand everything."

"I know, Clark." She pulled away from him and entered the barn. There was a cow in a stall who looked like she was about to explode. "Is she going to have a baby?"

"Yeah," he replied as he walked up beside her. "Collin and Perry aren't really shy, but..."

"What?" she asked him. "Just say whatever it is you're trying to say."

"I just don't want you to... withdraw if they don't exactly..." He sighed and looked over at the cow.

"Clark, I know they won't jump into my arms and yell, 'Mommy!' They don't know me and I don't know them. I know it's going to be hard and we'll have to get used to each other."

He smiled and reached out to place his hand on her back. "It won't take them long. They'll be crazy about you before you know it."

She had to bite her tongue to keep from asking how long it would be before he was crazy about her. This man had tilted her world on its axis. And unlike when Lex had upset her existence, she liked this disruption. With a nod, she jerked her thumb over her shoulder. "Think we could go see them now?"

"Yeah." He held up his hand for her to go out first and he fell in step beside her. When they neared the house, they noticed his father was on the back patio. He looked up from the grill and smiled.

"Hey there," Jonathan offered.

"Hey, Dad." Clark stepped over and kissed the side of his father's face, an action that stunned Lois. "Dad, this is Lois."

"Hi, Lois," he said and stepped forward to hug her.

Hot tears stung her eyes, but she ordered them to stay put. She wasn't going to start that already, even if she hadn't expected this man, this strange man to hug her. "Jonathan, right?" she asked when he drew back to look at her.

"Yes, ma'am. And I'm glad to finally see you."

She tilted her head and looked at him. "Are you?" she asked, unable to stop herself. She hadn't meant to say that, but she really needed to know if this man was okay she'd come to make waves in their peaceful lives.

Instead of taking offense, Jonathan recognized her question for what it truly was- her need to assure herself that someone cared about her. He pulled her back into another hug and sighed. "I'm not made that way, Lois," he told her softly. "I'd much rather have you here with those babies than anywhere else in this world."

This time when he withdrew, a couple of tears slipped through her carefully erected defenses. "Sorry," she mumbled and wiped her face quickly.

"Don't be," the older man told her. "Now, go on in the house with Clark so I can finish our dinner."

She nodded and turned toward the door. Clark was smiling softly and he allowed her all the time she needed to be ready to go inside. Her feet moved slowly, one step after the other. Clark held the door as she stepped inside. They walked through the small entry and entered the kitchen, causing Martha to look up from the stove, a blindingly warm smile on her face. Lois now knew where Clark got his warmth.

Were her twins like that? Had the Kents' disposition rubbed off on them any?

"Lois!" Martha said as she started toward her, outstretched arms. The younger woman was smothered in another hug before she could protest, even if she wasn't about to. She kind of liked these hugs. "It is so good to meet you," Martha said when she held Lois at arm's length.

And she meant it. Lois didn't have to ask this time. These people were probably the most genuinely sincere she'd ever seen. "I'm glad to be here," Lois told her and realized that she was telling the truth. She'd briefly, very briefly, toyed with the idea of just drifting away, blending into the world and leaving her children to be raised by their father. But that was before she'd seen them in Smallville. Before she'd seen for herself what a great person Clark was. She'd only watched him then, but she knew. She knew he was one of a kind.

She'd also known she wanted desperately to meet him, too. Now she was glad she had.

"Daddy!"

Lois jerked her head toward the sound of the small voice as fast moving feet carried a little whirlwind across the kitchen. Clark bent and held out his arms, but Collin stopped when he noticed they had a guest. He finished the journey to his father slowly, carefully watching her as he went.

"Hey, big guy. Where's your sister?" Clark asked him as he gathered him in his arms and stood up, kissing his face as he did.

"Hi, Lady," Collin told Lois with a flip of his hand to imitate a wave.

"Hi, sweetie," Lois squeaked through her tears. He was so beautiful. She hesitantly reached out and was shocked when Collin did the same. "Oh," she managed as her fingers stroked his small hand.

"Don't cry," he told her, concern written all over his face.

She laughed softly, but the tears still rolled down her cheeks. Collin watched her for a moment, then gently pulled his hand away and grasped Clark on both sides of his face.

"Did you bing me sumpin?" His head nearly touched Clark's as he looked the man in the eyes. Being that close surely made his features seem even larger than they were.

Clark leaned forward so that they were touching. "Sorry, pal, the only thing I brought today was this pretty lady to see you."

Collin turned his head, without pulling it away from Clark's. "Otay," he said and grinned at Lois.

If it hadn't been for Martha standing beside her, she was sure she would have fallen down. His smile was amazing. It sent warm sparks down her spine. Her hand went up to cover her mouth as she slowly smiled back.

"Her not purdy, Daddy," Collin said as he looked back at his father.

"Collin!" Clark rebuked.

He smiled, an expression that she was sure he practiced. "Her bootiful!"

Clark laughed and hugged the boy close to his chest. "I have to agree, son," he told him, then set him on his feet. "Why don't you go tell Perry I'm here?"

"'Tay." And he was gone.

Lois watched him run down the hall and disappear through a door on the other end.

"You okay?" Clark asked as he reached out to smooth his hand over Lois' shoulder.

She could only nod because she was too choked up.

"Let me take your jacket," Martha spoke up. Lois shrugged out of it and Martha thrust it toward Clark. "I hope you brought your appetite."

She was about to tell Martha she had when Perry came barreling into the kitchen, followed closely by her brother. Lois watched as Clark greeted her much the same way he had Collin. She wasn't as impressed with their guest, too caught up in wrapping her father around her finger. Perry held Clark's face the same way Collin had, but she kissed his lips, nose, and cheeks before she'd had enough. Leaning back in his arms, confident he'd hold her, she finally looked over.

"Hi," Lois said softly.

"Hi," she returned, but instead of reaching out to touch Lois, she wrapped her arm around Clark's neck and leaned her head over on the side of his. "What's your name?" she asked, sweetly.

"My name is Lois," she answered automatically.

"My name is Perry," the little girl returned.

"I know. Your daddy told me." If she wanted to talk, she'd be more than happy to do so. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Collin had reached out to hold Clark's leg and was looking up at her, apparently interested in what she had to say.

"Is he your friend?"

"He is," Lois told her. "And he said you might like to be my friend, too."

Perry sat up and smiled at her. "Yes!" she said enthusiastically. She wriggled to get down and Clark set her on her feet. "Come see."

Lois glanced at Clark, who nodded. "Where are we going?" Lois asked Perry, wiping the tears from her face.

"To drink tea," Perry informed her.

"I don't want to," Collin whined, but he followed anyway.

Clark sighed as he watched them disappear into the dining room that had been turned into a playroom. He smiled at his mother when she wrapped an arm around his waist.

"She's very pretty," his mother said. "I know where the kids get it from."

"Gee, thanks, Mom," Clark replied, pulling her closer to his side.

"Does that mean...?" she asked him, a hopeful expression on her face. She knew he was, but she needed to hear it.

"Yeah, Mom. They're mine."

"Oh, Clark!" She hugged him tightly, tears of her own making tracks down her cheeks. She pulled away suddenly and hurried toward the door. "Jonathan!" she yelled when she opened it. "He is!"

"Hot dog!" the older man shouted back.

Clark laughed softly and picked up Lois' jacket from the chair he'd draped it over and went to hang it up. He put his in the hall closet, too, and headed toward the playroom. He propped against the frame and watched as Lois drank tea with her children. She was so intent on her task, she didn't even notice him. Both kids were talking a mile a minute and somehow she seemed to be keeping up, even dropping in her own comments and questions. He shook his head as he continued to watch. His mother pulled on his shoulder, and when he noticed she was holding the camera, he stepped out of the way.

The first flash made Lois look up at them.

"I hope you don't mind," Martha said as she held up the camera.

"No." Her eyes glowed as she smiled at each child.

"Nana wikes pitchas," Collin told her.

"I do, too," Lois said. She was rewarded with another cheeky grin as he continued to pretend he was drinking tea.

Perry was the one to plop her cup down and declare she was full. "Want to go swing?" she asked her new friend.

"Oh, yes," Lois replied. "I like to swing."

Neither child waited on her, just jumped up and ran back toward the kitchen. Lois stood and walked through the door. "I guess I better hurry."

"Looks like it," Clark said with a grin.

"Here, son, go take pictures," his mother told him as she held the camera out. "I have to finish the potatoes."

Clark took the large device and went after the trio. He'd had to buy his mother a top of line camera after she'd worn out her third one. This one seemed to be fairing better from the nearly constant use.

Jonathan was laughing softly as he watched Lois push each child on their swings. Clark clicked off a few pictures before his father held out his hand.

"Go join them."

He relinquished the camera to his father and went to take over pushing duties so Lois could swing, too. Both children were laughing and yelling back and forth. Soon enough so was Lois. He was so thrilled to see her this relaxed and enjoying herself so much. He had been a bit worried about how the children would react to her, but Lois had said the magic word to Perry- friend. His little girl loved making friends. She spoke to everyone when Martha took her shopping in town; she didn't meet a stranger, unlike when she'd first come to live on the farm. And if Perry deemed someone a friend, that was good enough for Collin. At the same time, if Perry disliked someone, her brother wouldn't let them so much as look at her. He was very protective of his sister.

Clark looked up when his mother called them to dinner. The twins set off at a run and he walked with Lois toward the house.

"Still okay?" he asked her.

"Oh, Clark, you've done a fantastic job with them."

"My parents have done a wonderful job," he corrected her.

"I see how they look at you."

"Does that... bother you?"

"Absolutely not." She stopped at the bottom of the stairs. "What bothers me is that we're out here and I'm not seeing them smile."

Clark chuckled softly as she pushed against his chest, then hurried up the steps. He ran after her, as ready as she was to see them smile again.