Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks, everyone, for sticking with me through this series. I'm glad I didn't know how hard they'd be when I began or I might not have started! smile

Hope you all enjoyed, and please tell me what you think!

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, your effort was worth it! Great insight!

I realized that she could be my lifeline, too. She could be the person that *I* could take care of and help and comfort and understand. She was so beautiful, but locked away, hidden behind her mask, shielding her true self from rejection...just as I was.
So apt! One misses that sometimes--that Lois has her own mask, just as Clark does.

LOVE this:
The eye-watering amount of spice in the hors d'oeuvre was startling. Lois's question was astonishing. The realization that she had gone to so much trouble for me was...incomprehensible.

She was trying.

She was worried.

She...cared. She cared whether what was between us succeeded or failed. She wanted it to work. At some unknown time--I couldn't begin to say when--her reluctance to date me had transformed into *wanting* to date me.
Lois cared.
Doesn't that just say it all? This whole scene was so telling about the early stages of their dating relationship. thumbsup

Great job! Enjoyable series! clap

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What a wonderful way to wrap up the series.

I liked the entire story, but here are a couple of my favourite parts:

I realized that she could be my lifeline, too. She could be the person that *I* could take care of and help and comfort and understand. She was so beautiful, but locked away, hidden behind her mask, shielding her true self from rejection...just as I was.
Well said.

I loved the fact that she couldn't cook to save her life.

The day she made oatmeal for her sister during a failed counseling session and made me eat a bowl of it, I learned that I *could* stomach just about anything.
laugh

And keeping with the taste theme, I'll say that I'm already looking forward to whatever you choose to serve us next. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I loved this series! So much fun. clap

It didn't matter. I knew without ever tasting another bite that this meal had changed something for me. It had made me realize just how much I was missing in all the other meals I ate. It had made it impossible for me to fully enjoy any meal where Lois wasn't there to season the dishes with her observations and questions and smiles.
I love the imagery of Lois being his 'seasoning' to 'flavor' his life. Beautiful.

I knew what the people in the newsroom said. I knew that the entire city of Metropolis knew Clark Kent was in love with Lois. I knew they all felt sorry for me, wondering how long I'd trail along after Lois Lane like a puppy dog, how long I'd take her constant put-downs and barbs and apathy. I knew they had running bets on when I'd walk away in defeat with my tail between my legs. I knew they made fun of me and condemned Lois simultaneously.
clap So apt. Well said... er... written.

I couldn't stand for Lois to look at me with the same expression of disillusionment, disappointment, and horror that Mayson had worn in the moment before her death. If I ever saw that look on Lois's face, I would shrivel up inside
You explained his feelings well after Mayson died.

I must be alone in thinking --as I have never seen anyone else interpret it this way -- I saw understanding on Mayson's face before she died, not horror... not disgust. But I guess that's just me. frown Hmmm, a question for the polls!

So I systematically tamped down on and destroyed any betrayal and hurt I felt. I laid out my defense before Lois in an effort to win her back. I promised her that I had not lied to her--would not lie to her.
You describe his feelings in this episode well. Thank you of reminding me of when he made this promise to her. I had forgotten.

Because even after finding out that I had lied to her--that I was two men to her--she kissed me and tasted of happiness and acceptance.
The taste of acceptance. Yes, that would be the sweetest taste for Clark.

This was a sweet, yet spicy look back on their relationship. Good job!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tastefully done! Great job. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
First off, I really, really enjoyed this. smile Great job!

But eating that first dinner with Lois...I realized that she could be my lifeline, too. She could be the person that *I* could take care of and help and comfort and understand. She was so beautiful, but locked away, hidden behind her mask, shielding her true self from rejection...just as I was.
Very astute observation. I think, all too often, we forget that Lois has her own "mask" that she wears. It's not just Clark who is hiding.

And I knew--I knew that I wanted to flavor her meals just as she flavored mine.
Love the idea of them flavoring each other's lives.

You see, Lois doesn't cook for anyone. It's almost a point of pride with her that she doesn't spend time in the kitchen. If she doesn't like you...well, you get zilch. If she likes you, she'll order some take-out. It's only the people she *really* cares about--the people she considers the closest to her--that she'll cook for.

And she had cooked for me.
Very true. Just shows you how much Clark means to her.

And I have to say...I prefer tomato sauce without onions.
So sweet!!!

Love the parallel to Lois' taste story - starting with food given before, during and after dating and ending on lovely smooches! Yay!

Virginia -

I must be alone in thinking --as I have never seen anyone else interpret it this way -- I saw understanding on Mayson's face before she died, not horror... not disgust. But I guess that's just me. Hmmm, a question for the polls!
I actually saw that too. It was a look of all the puzzle pieces falling into place. But I still think that had Mayson survived, she would have rejected Clark because he's Superman.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Great to read Clark's version. I love how you've selected different but highly relevant moments for Lois and for Clark in this part.

I knew without ever tasting another bite that this meal had changed something for me.
It seems like Clark fell right away for Lois, doesn't it?

Lois wasn't the only one who changed in our relationship, though.
That's an excellent point which we tend to forget. Although Clark was always sure about his feelings for Lois, her belief in him did wonders in developing Superman. Look at poor Alt-Clark who didn't have a Lois.

Great ending to a great series!

Joan

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Everyone else already quoted everything I was going to quote. So I'll just say: Well done. Awesome series. Excellent.

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks, everyone, for such great feedback! I hope you all know how encouraging it is!

Thanks for highlighting that particular scene, Mozartmaid. I’ve always thought Lois was somewhat impatient with him after Mayson’s death, so I was a little afraid to approach that scene. But I think writing it helped me understand it more—glad my confusion didn’t come across!

More puns, Lynn! I love them! Thanks for your very kind words—I do have a longer story I’m trying to get done.

VirginiaR, thanks for the in-depth feedback—very helpful. As to the question about Mayson, I kind of think the fact that she told him about her investigation meant she decided to trust him, but I also think that if she had lived, she would never have been able to accept him. She was always meant to be the opposite of Lois, I think, and so when she discovered his secret, she would have rejected him. Anyway, huh just my thoughts, but I didn’t think Clark was up to thinking about it that objectively at that point in time. Thanks for making me think! (And another pun—I must be the only one who can’t think of those!)

Thanks, Laurach! So glad you enjoyed! If I didn’t want to be too repetitive, I’d say that I loved your pun as well! wink

Deadly Chakram, I’m glad you saw the parallels between the two parts—I didn’t want them to be too overt, but I’m glad they weren’t too subtle either! Thanks for the wonderful feedback!

I love how Clark changed through the series—it’s beautiful to see both of them grow together. Thanks, scifiJoan!

The words you left were enough to make my day, IolantheAlias, so thanks!

Thanks to everyone who reviewed!

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Loved this part too!

I loved the spin you put on Lois' cooking - that she only cooks for those she deeply cares about.

And then everyone basically already covered what was great about the last story (which, basically, was everything)

Well done!

clap clap clap

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Really great series. Be sure to send it to the Archive. I bet LabRat is salivating to get it!
(pun intended)
regards
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks for the great feedback, DW! I love the applause! smile

Thanks, Artemis! So glad you enjoyed, and I did send them into the archives. And boy, just when you think everyone's used every possible pun! laugh

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard