A/N: This is just a little snippet based on one of the premises in my Idea file. It isn't all that great, but I'm trying to get back into writing fic and this is a start. I hope you enjoy. smile

-----

“Hey, Lois! How's your husband?”

Lois was already in a bad mood by the time she got to her desk. She mumbled an obscenity under her breath and tried to ignore Ralph, instead focusing on putting her purse away and digging out her notebook. She had a lot of work to do, so if she just concentrated on---

“Lois!” Cat had been passing by, and now paused in mid-swish to lean on Lois' desk. “How's the hubby?”

Lois gritted her teeth. “He is fine. Thank you.”

“Mmmm, I know he is. You are one lucky woman.”

She breathed a sigh of relief as Cat left, only to groan as Jimmy came bounding over.

“Hey, Lois! I got those photos you wanted of the congressman. So...um...how's...uh... your, ah, husband?”

Lois stood up, glared at Jimmy, and raised her voice for all to hear. “All right, everyone listen up!” she shouted. “The next person who asks me about You Know Who is going to spend the rest of the afternoon picking up all of their teeth! Do I make myself clear?!”

There was mix of mumbling and scurrying, and Jimmy quietly excused himself to go run errands. Lois leaned back, closed her eyes, and let out a deep breath.

The elevator dinged. Lois didn't even look up until the aroma of coffee reached her nose, and a styrofoam cup appeared on her desk. Clark stood near it, grinning impishly. “Good morning, Partner!”

“Hrm. Morning.” Lois took the offered beverage and sipped it.

“Why the sour mood today, Ms. Lane? Did you and your husband have a falling out?” He continued, not realizing that Lois had stilled. “Really, someone ought to put that ungrateful jerk in his place...”

The cup slammed down onto the desk, sending splashes of coffee across the keyboard. Lois shot to her feet. “That's it!” She grabbed Clark by his necktie. “You! Conference room! Now!”

She pulled Clark into the conference room, amid the stares of their gaping co-workers, and set about locking the door and closing the blinds. When she'd finished, she turned around to find Clark sitting at the table, looking at her with an expression of love and understanding.

“Tough day?”

Lois sighed, nodded, and collapsed into the chair next to him.

He reached around to squeeze her shoulders. “I'm sorry.”

“This is getting ridiculous, Clark!” she exclaimed. “No matter where I go; no matter who I bump into...It just doesn't let up!”

“It'll be okay,” he said, tugging her into his arms. “Look, Honey, I know this is a lot to deal with, but just hang in there. It'll only be a couple of years. Then, we can start the divorce proceedings and---”

“And what, Clark?” Lois snapped, pushing away from him. “We just go back to normal? Continue with our lives as if none of this ever happened?” She shook her head. “It won't work like that. It can't work like that! Too much has changed; there's too much...” She looked away.

“Lois?” Clark reached for her shoulder. “Lois, Honey, what's wrong? Tell me.”

She took a few deep breaths, staring at her hands on the table. “I don't think this is just going to be for a couple years.”

“Why do you say that?” he asked in surprise. He covered her hand with his own. “Did you hear something from the INS? Is there a problem with the green card?”

Lois shook her head. Tears were starting to pool. She grabbed Clark's hand, squeezing it tightly, and turned to face him. “No, I....Clark....” She took another deep breath, her voice starting to tremble. “Clark...I...I'm pregnant.”

Outside the conference room, a few remaining on-lookers stood staring at the closed blinds, wondering what was happening on the other side. “Do you think she killed him?” one asked.

“Nah,” said Jimmy. “If anyone can handle Mad Dog Lane, it's CK.”

“They seem awfully chummy, if you ask me,” said Ralph. “Maybe they're in there---?” he wiggled one eyebrow suggestively.

Cat rolled her eyes. “Ralph, don't be ridiculous. Lois would have to be crazy to cheat on Superman!”

~•~