Within a half-hour, Clark found himself on a military transport vehicle. It looked and felt almost like an open-air jeep, except for the fact that it floated about two feet above the surface of the planet. Zara and Ching were the only ones with him, at his insistence. He trusted them, knowing that they were on his side completely. He knew that he could trust whatever information they might give him as he surveyed the strange planet. He could speak freely with them. Clark wasn't sure yet who else he could trust. The jeep, as Clark called it in his mind, sped along the surface of a wholly alien world. The setting sun threw long shafts of red light across the planet, bathing everything in a hellish glow. Clark shifted uneasily in his seat.

Ching explained that New Krypton was roughly the size of Earth, if not a little smaller. But it looked nothing like Earth. It was a barren, wasteland of rock and dirt as far as the eye could see. He saw no water sources, not a single stream, river, lake, or puddle. Ching explained that their water reserves were beneath the surface. Not a plant or tree was to be seen. Not a blade of grass poked up out of the dirt.

"Where are the crops?" Clark asked.

"We grow no food here," Zara said.

"If you don't grow food, how do the people survive here? You have to eat."

"There are other civilizations out there that we trade with. The stone that the palace is made of is highly sought after, so we exchange what we quarry for crops."

"And what happens when you run out of stone?" Clark asked. "Nothing lasts forever. Okay, when we get back I'm going to give a little class on Farming 101. Luckily, I was raised on a farm and I know a bit about these things. If New Krypton is to survive, you need trade and you need to be self sufficient."

Zara nodded. "Some of the women have said as much, but the Elders do not listen."

Long, low buildings came into view. Zara explained that they were food storage facilities. Clark nodded and asked to be taken to the main towns. There was only one city that housed the thousand or so refugees. Ching guided the jeep there. It was just on the outskirts of the palace. As they drove along the streets, Clark stifled a horrified gasp. He'd been in Suicide Slum in Metropolis before, sometimes on Superman rescues, sometimes as Clark Kent on a story, and once when he'd been struck with amnesia after failing in his first attempt to destroy the Nightfall asteroid . He knew what a ramshackle neighborhood looked and felt like. The city he was now in was little better. He saw only homes that looked hastily built. There were no businesses, no schools, nothing that, to him, gave a city half of its' lifeblood. He asked about it.

"New Krypton was founded just after Krypton exploded, correct?"

Zara nodded. "Yes."

"So it's been around about 30 years now, give or take."

"Yes."

Clark shook his head in disbelief. "All this time and the only city you have is only half a step up from a slum? You haven't done anything to build an actual society? You haven't even tried to work the very soil of this planet to feed your people? You've got more problems that just a civil war here."

"We've spent our time trying to scrape by and live," Zara said stiffly.

"I'm sure that's the case. But you could have made it easier on yourselves. Why are your people living in squalor? I see you had plenty of time to build a pristine palace. Where are your hospitals? Where are your schools?" Clark knew he was letting his anger show. Normally that would have bothered him, but not now. Not when he saw how skewed New Krypton's priorities were.

"We built the seat of power to bind our people together in hope," Ching said. "Now that our rightful ruler is here, we can expand our efforts to...public works."

"That's not a good enough answer. Your people should have come first, not some palace that no one even had the right to reside in until you came and begged me to come here. Drive us back, Ching. I have some things to discuss with the Council." His voice had a hard edge to it.

Ching swung the jeep around and headed back to the palace. Clark was seething in the front passenger seat. He felt ashamed to be a part of such a society. It was true, he knew, that Earth wasn't a perfect place. There were plenty of people living there in third-world countries and in slums, people who needed help. But at least, he reasoned, there were some people who did what they could to help. Charities that went overseas to deliver food and supplies to those in need. Government run programs to try and help the less fortunate. New Krypton seemed, to his eyes, to simply turn a blind eye.

"We always planned on fixing the problems you've mentioned," Zara said from behind him. "We just haven't had the chance to do so. It isn't easy carving out an existence on a barren rock of a planet."

Clark turned his head to look at her. "It would have been easier if you had fixed these problems as they arose. Your precious Ruling Houses mean nothing if your people suffer and die." He sighed and calmed himself. "Now, tell me more about this impending war. You keep mentioning it but neither one of you have given me any specifics. I know there are Ruling Houses jockeying for the throne. Now that I am here, what sort of likelihood of war breaking out are we looking at? Because if it's a simple matter of me setting you two up as the ruling couple, I'll get to work on that right away. Then you can have what you both want and peace besides, and I can go back to what I want."

Ching shook his head. "Nice try ,Kal-El. I also wish it was that simple. But I am afraid that Lord Nor and his followers will rebel against your right to rule. I think it is likely that he will proclaim war."

"Lord Nor?"

"A noble of a different House - the House of Zod. Ancient traditions bind him as Zara's husband if you fail to maintain your marriage. That makes him the next in line for the throne."

"So..."

"So, I have heard rumors that Lord Nor is gathering followers that dispute your right to the throne. It is said that already he has the ear of several Elders. They speak in hushed whispers of the...legitimacy...of your position. They doubt that a child raised on Earth could possibly be up to the task of ruling this planet."

"Which Elders?"

Ching shook his head regretfully. "I don't know."

"But I am Jor-El's son. So...I mean, can they really...do anything? I mean, what are the laws about something like this?"

"Aside from taking you to court to try and persuade the Elders to revoke your title, he can proclaim war. If you are killed...well, then there will be nothing to prevent him from marrying Zara and claiming the throne. I think the first option is unlikely. He would need a reason, a real reason, to bring you to court - something like treason or a doubt of your parentage. Your parentage is air tight. And I do not believe that Nor can possibly find a charge to accuse you of to bring you to court. Just mind your tongue and anger, Kal-El. If Nor suspects what we three plan, you will be brought to trial and in all likelihood, Nor and his slippery tongue will turn the Elders against you. The penalty for treason is death."

Clark dragged a hand through his hair as he thought. "Great," he muttered. "Okay, let's get back to the palace. Let's see what we can find out about this Nor guy and what he might have planned. Ching, I think you are probably in the best position to gather information. I don't want to make a move against him until I know for sure what his intentions are. Speculation and rumors aren't enough to justify starting a war. And besides, I'm here to prevent war in the first place."

"Nor is extremely dangerous and cruel," Zara warned him. "It may well come to battle with him. It would be better for you if you were to make the first move against him. I do not think that he will anticipate that. The element of surprise may make all the difference."

"No," Clark said decisively. "That's not who I am. I don't start wars. I don't initiate bloodshed. My job is to bring peace and to protect."

The jeep slowed as the palace grew near. Clark appraised the building silently, shaking his head. The palace was the one pristine structure he'd seen on the planet. He wished that even a tenth of the time and effort that had been clearly used to construct it had gone into the ordering and building of the city. They entered the palace together. Again, he had the feeling that he was walking into his prison.

What now? Ching thought to him.

First things first. Call together anyone and everyone responsible for running the city. I want to get started on fixing the problems that I've seen today. You and Zara are both to be with me. You've seen a little of how things are on Earth. I may need to call upon you as witnesses to how truly great a planet can be with enough careful planning. Later on, you'll get your chance to look into Nor.

As you wish. I will gather the Elders now.

Ching bowed, turned on his heel, and swiftly vanished down a hallway. Zara led Clark to their private living quarters. Clark was grateful for a few moments of peace and quiet to collect his thoughts and to calm his turbulent emotions. He sat back heavily in a plush arm chair. As he always did with his notes before writing a story for the paper, he mentally ordered his thoughts. He laid his head back against the crushed red velvet fabric and closed his eyes as he mentally ticked off the points he wanted to make with the Council. His mind made up on how he was going to approach the Elders, Clark went to freshen up, shower, and change into a fresh suit. Not long after, Ching gently knocked on the door. Clark let the man in.

"All is ready. The Council awaits you."

"Thanks, Ching." Clark gave the man a grateful smile. "I don't think I've told you how much I appreciate your support. And your friendship."

Ching smiled back and led Zara and Clark through the palace to the Council's chambers. As they walked, he pointed out the various rooms and areas that they were passing to either side. Clark tried to keep up, but the information soon became dizzying. Before long, they were before the doors of the Council's chambers. Ching reminded Clark of the proper greeting, then opened the door and announced him.

"Brothers in bonds, I greet thee thrice," Clark said, holding his arms spread before him, his palms up. He surveyed the room for a long moment as Ching closed the doors behind him and stood off to one side. On the far wall, a painting of Jor-El hung, the last ruler of Krypton.

"Gentleman, I've called you here because we have problems. Problems that go beyond the threat of unrest and war. I have been among our people. I have seen how they are living. It pains me to see anyone living in such ramshackle conditions. We need to act now to rectify this problem. I have also seen the barren landscape of this planet and I have to wonder, why are we not working the soil, growing food and other goods? Gentleman, this is a huge problem. In order for New Krypton to grow, thrive, and survive, we need to be able to provide for our own people to the best of our abilities. We need to build a strong society. We need to build and maintain farms. We need to build and maintain homes where families can thrive, not just shelters to protect them from the elements. We need to build and maintain public buildings for the betterment of our people - schools for example. I noticed more than one child in the gathered crowd earlier today. What resources do we have to provide for their needs? Where are our hospitals?"

Clark paused for a moment and took a breath. "I propose forming committees to see to these problems immediately. If we gather our people into a common cause, we can promote unity. If we can successfully sustain crops on our soil, we can be independent of other planets. Trade is a very good and important thing, don't misunderstand me. It is vital to any society. But you must think to the future. What if trade routes fail? What if you can no longer rely on the civilizations that you trade with now? How then, will our people eat? I grew up on a farm. I know what goes into maintaining crops. I may not know much about this red sun of ours, but where there is sunlight and water something must be able to grow. Let us plant trees and flowers to beautify this planet. I speak from experience when I say that growing things can lift the spirits of the masses. Let us take the artisans who crafted this palace and set them to work rebuilding the city with their skill."

A murmur rippled through the gathered Elders. Clark looked to Zara and Ching. He gestured their permission to speak.

"He speaks the truth," Ching said. "I have been on Earth and I have seen how growing things can affect the mood of the people."

"And it makes sense to try to grow some of our own food," Zara put in. "Earth is a completely self-sufficient planet. They do not require trade with other planets to survive."
A thoughtful silence wrapped the room. Clark eyed the Elders levelly, awaiting their response. At last, a few nods began to nod. Most remained unconvinced.

"Please," Clark pleaded. "I came to this planet, leaving behind everything and everyone I know and love, to help our people. And I do believe that reshaping our society is one of the most important things that we can do."

"I will gather the building crews," said one portly man with soft, round features. His name was Hap Tet.

He nodded gratefully to the man. "Thank you. Trey - can I ask for you to gather committees for the ordering of the farms?"

Trey nodded. "As you wish, my Lord."

"One last thing," Clark said as an afterthought. "I know that I'm still new here and getting used to how everything is run. But, uh, why are there no women on the Council?"

More than a few mouths dropped open.

"It is forbidden!" Jen Mai said. "Our laws explicitly prohibit it!"

"Yeah, but why?" Clark persisted. "It seems to me like a little diversity might help make better decisions."

"They do not understand the way of things," Jen Mai pressed.

Clark shook his head. "The smartest person I know happens to be a woman." He touched a hand to his chest, feeling Lois' ring beneath his suit. He made the gesture casual, as if the gesture were only to convey his sincerity.

The Council did not look convinced.

Well, two out of three changes going into effect isn't too bad, he thought to himself wryly. Much better than I had hoped coming into this.

"And what of the threat of war?" another Elder asked. He was tall with sharp features and snowy hair. Clark thought his name was either Zen Tai or Ken Lon.

"I'm still gathering information on what threats are being posed. I will not start a war on rumor and speculation. That's all I am comfortable saying at the moment. I thank you all for your time and cooperation."

When it became clear that he was not leaving the room, the Elders began to file out. Clark stood and watched as they left. He felt sure that more than one Elder had looked at him with hidden contempt. Did Lord Nor really have their ears? Or did it stem from his odd, Earth ways? Clark couldn't be sure one way or another. At length, he was alone in the room with Ching and Zara.

"With your permission, Lord Kal-El, I will attend to my...other duties," Ching said with a slight bow.

Clark nodded absently. Ching turned on his heel and strode from the room. Zara moved to Clark's side and followed his gaze. He was staring at the portrait of Jor-El, wrapped in thought. Zara touched his arm gently.

Clark sighed. "I just hope I'm making you proud, dad." His voice was a whisper.

"I'm sure he'd be very proud," Zara said softly.

Clark started. He hadn't realized that he had spoken aloud. He gave a grateful smile to Zara. "Thanks." He stifled a yawn. Outside the palace, the night had fallen.

Zara led him back through the palace to their private quarters. Clark stood at the windows for a moment, searching the stars and planets, wondering which was Earth. This far away, it was impossible for him to tell. Zara seemed to sense his thoughts.

"Earth is right there," she said, pointing between two bright stars. Clark could see a faint glittering. A new sense of despair washed over him.

My heart is out there, he thought to himself. Oh Lois, I should never have left you. I don't know how to be Lord Kal-El. I don't know how to be Kryptonian. I only want to be Clark. I only want to be your husband. And, I admit, I miss being Superman too.

He sighed. He leaned his arm against the glass and rested his forehead against his forearm, eyes closed.

I'll find a way back home, I swear, Lois. I love you.

He pushed away from the window. He pulled the armchair up to a round, glass table. He went to the bookcases in the room and pulled out a scroll with a map of New Krypton. He spread the map on the table and studied the contours of the land. He located several likely places for the experimental farms. Secretly, he hoped that his instincts were right. He truly did hope that they could grow some form of crops. Zara looked over his shoulder and he showed her what his plans were. She nodded in agreement on most areas. On a few of them, she pointed out a few neighboring areas that would be better suited for the job.

I need you to look through the laws, he thought to Zara, not trusting that the walls might not have ears. See if you can find any sort of loophole for this whole...marriage thing. See if there is a way that I can set you up as ruler. See if we can block Nor from marrying you. I'd do it myself, but I can't read Kryptonian.

Zara nodded in understanding and went to retrieve the black leather-bound tome that contained all of New Krypton's laws. She settled onto the bed and began to read. Clark studied his map once more, mentally ticking off the places where he thought they could fight if war broke out. He folded his arms on the table and rested his head against them. Before he knew it, he was asleep. Zara noticed, rose, and gently covered his sleeping form with a blanket.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon