A lot, a lot, a lot happening in this part. I think there's a bit of what everyone was wanting to see!

Thanks to all those keeping up with this. I'll try to get to the feedback soon.

Enjoy!

++++

"Where the hell is he?" Lex demanded of Nigel.

"I have no idea, sir. Asabi has disappeared and he won't answer the private lines."

"So help me I'll separate his body and spirit myself!" He was livid. Nigel had told him just minutes ago that Collin, Lucy, and Asabi had disappeared from Spain. "Have you looked everywhere?"

"Everywhere. I have even had a fellow look in the lion's den."

Lex swiped his hand across the desk in front him, sending everything on it flying. "Find that kid!"

"We will, sir."

"You better." Nigel turned to leave. "And, Nigel..." When he looked back, Lex pointed at him. "When you do, kill the girl and take her sister a picture."

"My pleasure." He smiled before closing the door behind him.

Lex kicked the phone lying on the floor across the room. He was losing control. And he hated to lose control.

He also hated being Alexander Luckaby. He'd hated Frank and had hated being his son. The day his mother told him his biological father was really Lionel Luthor was the day he was set free. And as soon as his mother was buried, he'd been only too happy to make sure the arrogant son of bitch who'd made his life a living hell pay for all of his sins. If it hadn't been for the fifty-three billion reasons now tucked away in various accounts around the world, he would have never bowed to that man's vanity driven ego.

Clark rolled over and nearly fell onto the floor. He'd laid down on the sofa at Mayson's place to wait on her to finish a conference call involved with work and had fallen asleep. A glance at his watch told him she'd been on the call for nearly an hour. He sat up and rubbed his hand through his hair several times trying to rid himself of the sleepy haze that surrounded him. In the other room, Mayson seemed to be in a heated debate. It might very well be a while before she was done. Maybe that was a blessing in disguise, he thought as he rose to head into the kitchen to get himself a glass of water. He had to shake his head as he opened the cabinet. Every glass was perfectly situated on the shelf. Mayson wasn't just obsessive- she was obsessive compulsive.

Taking his water, he ventured into her living room, glancing at the photograph she kept on the table between her chairs. Baby Grace had been a beautiful child. And the lone image was the only visible proof Mayson had ever been someone's mother. She'd only recently put it out- told him that seeing Perry and opening up to him had given her the strength to do so.

The view from her window was spectacular. You could see all the way to the bay. They'd had dinner at Mulligan's earlier. Mayson had told him she was sorry he hadn't found Collin, yet something about her posture said otherwise. Then they'd argued about the trip to France again. Perry was coming in and he was going to spend the week with her. Mayson was less than thrilled that she'd have to make the trip overseas alone, but she finally let it drop. He'd walked her home and had intended to kiss her goodnight and leave, but he felt unusually lonely tonight. Her lips had practically begged him to kiss her. One had led to two, then a stray hand cranked up the excitement, and before he could stop himself, he was laying her across her bed. Now he was glad she'd received the call that had interrupted them. He'd been strangely detached, as if he was on the outside looking in, even in the little they'd done. He'd been relieved when she apologized and went to answer the phone.

As he took another drink from his glass, he realized he was preparing himself to say goodbye to Mayson. She was a great person, and he cared for her very much. She could be a good friend, but that was all. She wasn't who he wanted to make a future with, and he just couldn't keep acting like she was. He realized earlier, even though he'd known before then, that her aversion to Superman was just a bit much for him to deal with comfortably in the context of a serious relationship. If she felt like that, there was no way he could tell her he was the Man of Steel. And if they were going to continue to see one another, he had to tell her.

And he couldn't... wouldn't do that. Not now.

Turning back to take his glass to the kitchen, his eye caught the shimmer of something sticking out of Mayson's bag where she'd dropped it on the coffee table. A closer look told him it was a metallic envelope. He was going to keep walking, but what was written on the card made him stop. 'Baby Doll'. Knowing he shouldn't, but unable to stop himself, he reached down and pulled the envelope from the bag. He set his glass down and against his better judgment, he took the card out.

"What the hell?" It was an anniversary card.

A what?! It was signed, 'Still loving you, Dan'.

"Do you always make it a habit to read other people's private things?"

Clark looked up at Mayson, a thousand questions running through his mind at once. "Do you make it habit of forgetting to tell your boyfriend about your husband?"

She stomped over and snatched the card from his hand. "We're separated."

"So you *are* still married?"

"Legally, yes." She stuffed the card back into her bag.

"Damn!" Clark snatched up the glass on the table, not caring that the water flew out over his hand and arm, and went to the kitchen to drop it in the sink.

"Clark, let me explain."

"You just did," he said as he turned to look for his jacket.

"We've been separated for years..."

"It doesn't matter. You're married and whether or not you respect the vows you took, I do." He couldn't believe he'd felt guilty for starting a relationship with her when he was being less than honest. She was doing the same thing!

"Don't do this," she pleaded as she followed him to the door.

"Do what? Get upset because you forgot to mention your husband?" He jerked on his jacket.

"Like you have room to talk."

He stopped with his hand on the door, then turned to look at her. "What?"

"You forgot to mention that you moonlight in tights." She crossed her arms over her chest, begging him to deny it.

For his part, Clark didn't even blink. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"The hell you don't. After I told you how I felt about Superman, I got to thinking about your reaction and what you said. After you ignored me, I knew there was more going on with you. I did a little research of my own."

"And you've found nothing that suggests I am who you say I am."

"You're right. You have covered your tracks well. But, Clark, I'm one of the best lawyers in the world because I'm not blind. A background check revealed way too many inconsistencies."

"You've done a background check on me?" He couldn't believe her. She was beyond obsessive. Mayson glanced away from him. "Do you do that with everyone you date?"

"No!" But her expression said something different.

Clark put his hands on his hips and sighed as he stared up at the ceiling. What did he do now? Someone knew his secret, had checked him out. And she was mad at him.

"Why don't we call it even?" she asked as she stepped closer to him. "You've betrayed me as much as I've betrayed you."

His brows rose nearly to his hair. "Are you serious?" When she just stared at him, he threw his hands up and paced around her.

"The fact that you're here is proof enough to me that I'm right," she said as she turned to watch him walk away from her.

He whirled back around to face her. "I'm here because if you decide to spout your theory aloud, my family will suffer for it." He was still unable to admit to her that she was right, although she probably took that statement as admission on his part.

"Clark, I don't give trust easily. And I would never betray it either. I... I love you. I'd never hurt you."

He just stared at her for several moments before he leaned over to pull the envelope back out of her bag. "No, I guess you wouldn't," he told her sadly, then thrust the card into her hands before he left. He might have decided to end his relationship with Mayson tonight, but knowing she was married and didn't tell him hurt like hell. If she could hide something like that, what else was she hiding?

Never mind he'd been hiding something from her.

But he wasn't married. He wasn't still in touch with a spouse. And... He stopped just before he stepped into the stairwell. Dan? As in...

He went back to her apartment, causing her to gasp when he stepped in suddenly. "Dan? Scardino?"

"Yes," she answered softly.

"The private investigator you contacted to come help Perry?" She glanced away from him. "Just how close are you and your husband?" Wow, he thought. Mayson was nothing he thought she was. If she still had a some kind of relationship with Dan, why had she started anything with him? She'd actually told him she loved him.

"We're friends, Clark. Close friends. We grew up together, were high school sweethearts, stayed together through college. Marriage seemed to be the most natural thing. We just couldn't get past the emotional devastation of losing Grace."

"And if you find a way through that?"

Mayson's eyes finally met his. "I love Dan, but I'm in love with you. You're the only man I've ever cared about besides him."

Clark was the one to glance away this time. She looked so sincere. And after everything... "Mayson, I do care for you."

"But you're not in love with me?"

He sighed, refusing to look away. "No. I respect you and I was obviously very attracted."

She looked down at the floor, nearly dying inside.

He took a step closer. "I'm sorry."

When she looked up, she smiled. "I'm not. I've had a great time and I'm glad I know you. All of you." Closing the distance between them, she reached up and cupped the side of his face. "I didn't leave a trace when I was checking things out, and I made the background check look like it was part of your file for Collin." Her thumb smoothed the soft skin under his eye. "I hope, in time, we can be friends."

Clark smiled and reached out to squeeze her upper arm. "Me, too." Leaning forward, he kissed her briefly. "Take care of yourself."

"You, too." She'd pulled her hand away and folded her arms again. "No one will know I know," she said as he stepped into the doorway. When he faced her, she added, "But I think I like that you're not admitting it."

He didn't say a word, just walked away. In a strange way, he kind of liked that she knew.

The man looked down into the wide eyes of the little boy before him. "Amazing," he said. "Absolutely amazing." He straightened up and smiled at the man beside the boy. "I have to hand it to ole Lex. He didn't quit digging until he uncovered the largest treasures. Too bad his greed cost him his life."

"His arrogance cost him his life," the other man corrected him. "So, can I trust that you will honor your previous deal with my former employer?"

"If he continues to grow as healthy as he is now, I'll even throw in a ten percent bonus."

The tall, foreign looking man smiled. "Very good." He snapped his fingers and a woman stepped forward to pick up the boy. "I will be in touch every six months."

"I'll look forward to your next visit." Bill Church waited until the man was gone with the boy before he called his son into the room. "How far along are the doctors in achieving the results we're after?"

"Very close," answered the younger Church. "However, we need a test subject."

"Use Lane's other daughter. I hear she likes juicing up anyway."

"Oh, how ironic." Bill, Jr. laughed softly. Both Lane women in the same lifetime!

Bill, Sr. sat down at his desk, totally agreeing with his son. He'd been glad when Lex married the oldest Lane girl so he could keep her out of everyone's affairs. She had been a reporter and a good one, interfering more than once in his many endeavors. Lex had been all too happy to get her under control and Bill was more than willing to let him. And he could care less that she now sat in a cell for killing Luthor. Hell, if he'd been able to do it without getting caught, he would have killed the bastard years ago. Lois had done the world a favor- or at least his world.

Irony- what a wonderful thing! Lex had purposely chosen Lois for his test subject only to have her turn on him. Bill would use her sister, and neither woman would know that one of the men responsible for so much of their heartache was none other than their own dear daddy. Yes, irony was the spice of his life.

Nearly three months after his break-up with Mayson, Clark was convinced her knowing was a good thing. She'd often call him after a particularly difficult rescue and ask him how was. 'Just wanted to check on you,' she'd say. She never asked him again if he really was Superman and she never referred to it either. Much like his mother, she always spoke of him as two separate people. Yet, there was that little underlying current. He'd gained a true friend. It was nice having someone around that knew, even if he didn't share that part of himself with her the way he did with Lana. He might never be in that place with Mayson, but he liked the place they'd chosen.

And Superman had kept him busy. It seemed everybody in the world needed him lately. Even when he wasn't in the suit. One major story after another kept him at the Planet later nearly every night. What time he did have, he'd fly out to see Perry. Since keeping her the week his parents went on vacation, he'd ached to have her with him all the time. The little girl filled a void he hadn't been aware was slowly eating up his spirit. He'd had to hire a sitter and Superman was grounded, but it had been the best week of his life. It was the most exhilarating as well. She'd grown so much since that first day. It was truly amazing watching all of the changes.

How was it a baby had the power to make you rethink your perspective on life? Sure, he'd often thought about marrying some day and starting a family. But he'd never actually thought he would. He was different than other men and he wasn't even sure if he could have children. He and Lana had talked about it more than once, had even wanted to find out for sure if it was possible. Of course, their plans changed. After breaking up with Lana, he came to the conclusion that a wife and children were not in his future. His time with Mayson was great, but he'd never felt it would be anything serious. He'd never dreamed becoming an accidental father might actually be the best thing that ever happened to him. Perry was a breath of air he had come to need just to function. He was seriously entertaining the idea of bringing her out to live with him on a full-time basis.

Of course, that idea didn't come without risk. Whoever was running LexCorp might still be looking for her, although he wasn't sure why. While he wanted her with him, there was no way he'd place her in danger unnecessarily. Before he made a decision like that, he'd have to be sure it would be safe for her to be in the city.

That's why he was thinking of doing a little reading- reading that Perry wouldn't approve of. He could always go over Perry's head... straight to the source.

He'd thought a lot about Lois lately. Perry still tried to send her letters and get her to allow him to see her. Clark hated the days his editor went to the prison; he came to the newsroom angry and upset. More than once Clark thought the older man was going to cause himself to have a stroke. Alice had even spoken with him about Perry's stress levels. Yet, every week he made that trek to Glendale, just outside Metropolis. And every week he came back about to blow a gasket.

Jack and Jimmy had given up on Lois. They were angry and had a right to be. They'd done nothing but try to help her and she adamantly refused. They'd stopped writing her a long time ago. And it only took her refusing to see them three times before they stopped going to Glendale. Jimmy had said he felt like his best friend didn't trust him anymore and it hurt.

Though Lois was a relative stranger, Clark was beginning to feel like he knew her. He'd heard so much about her through Jimmy and Perry- Jack didn't know her that well either. Clark had read everything she'd ever written, which told him a lot about the kind of person she'd been. Since the day Jack said he'd been stripping her computer and run across personal files, Clark found himself wanting to read some of those files himself.

Would she talk to him? She'd spoken with him once, allowed him to take custody of her son. He hadn't been back to visit her with Mayson or with any of the others. He just didn't feel like he had the place. Did having her daughter give him a place? She'd accepted that card on the twins' birthday. Would she accept another one? Should he try?

He sighed heavily. He just didn't know what to do anymore. Feeling like he could help and not be able to was driving him insane. There was no guarantee he could find out anything more than the little they'd discovered already. Yet, he felt like he had to try or he'd go crazy.

Pushing to his feet, Clark went up to his loft in search of some paper and a pen. The open box of blank cards he kept for various occasions caught his eye. Maybe he should try using one of those. She'd accepted a card. He hated to use Perry that way, but if it would ultimately help her mother, the end would certainly justify the means.

Lois had transformed into someone even she didn't know. The pity had slowly been replaced with seething anger, followed by an overwhelming desire for revenge. Only the person she wanted to get revenge on was already dead. It just wasn't fair. That maniacal bastard had stripped her of absolutely everything, including the right to have the final say. Yeah, she might one day step foot outside this prison and Lex would still be dead, but she'd never get back all he'd taken from her. Years of her life- gone. Years of her children’s lives- gone. Hell, they wouldn't even know her when she got out. Somebody else was raising them. Those people were their family now. They'd be all those kids knew. What right would she have to take that away from them? Away from the family who was taking care of them?

Thank God Lucy was caring for Collin. At least he might have a few morals when he grew up. She snorted unhumorously at that. Morals, my ass, she thought as she entered her cell after her morning work detail. Lucy was the very definition of free spirit. A wild child from birth, Lucy was defiant right down to her core. She'd put her folks through hell. Became the girlfriend of a gang leader at fourteen, the hard drugs were only a year behind. In and out of rehab until she was eighteen, the younger Lane disappeared for nearly three years. When she resurfaced, she was as strung out as any junkie Lois had ever seen. And that junkie was caring for her son. Was that better than a nanny hired by LexCorp? Nigel had said Lucy was clean, but Lois had been around long enough to know that once a junkie, always a junkie. Lucy would always struggle with her demons.

She dropped heavily on her bunk, noticing that there was an envelope on the small table attached to the wall. Those ignorant guards just couldn't take a hint. She'd told them more than once that she wanted all mail returned to sender. And if the mail didn't have a return address, then just trash it.

Snatching the envelope off the table, she realized it was from the same person who'd sent the pictures of Perry that now hung on the wall. She glanced up at the happy baby in the image, then decided to take a quick peek.

'Lois, I know I don't have the right to ask you for anything- I don't even know you. I just felt it was time for... something. Time to *do* something. He's gone, dead and buried. Won't you let us help you?'

She looked at the new picture that was in the card. Perry- her precious Perry. Her hair was longer, curly. She had a mouth full of teeth and her little ears had been pierced. She was wearing a denim dress that looked a lot like overalls. She was adorable.

The card was signed 'Clark'. As in Clark Kent? Did Clark Kent have her baby girl? Why? Why had Perry chosen a stranger to care for her girl?

What was she thinking? She'd given Kent custody of her son.

What did it matter now? Someone had her and she didn't. That's all she knew. Perry was being cared for and that was enough.

It had to be.

Lois wiped the tear that spilled from her eye- the first in months. She'd resolved long ago that crying wouldn't help her now. Nothing would.

And nobody will, she thought as she ripped the card in half. She'd almost torn the picture as well, but she just couldn't. That little girl hadn't asked for any of this. Hell, she hadn't asked to be born. With shaking hands, Lois searched out her tape and put her newest treasure on the wall. Oh, what she wouldn't give to have one of her boy to go with the others. Why couldn't Clark find him? Then he'd have both her children.

When she turned back around, she pushed Clark Kent and thoughts of her daughter from her mind. She had to push them out or she'd go crazy. Thinking about things she couldn't change was useless and it wasn't about to get her out of here any time soon.

Lex, or Alexander Luckaby as he was known these days, was livid. Those idiots he'd hired couldn't find their way out of a room with only one window, let alone a small boy. Nigel had searched everywhere for *Collin* without success. Just when they thought they were getting close, they'd hit another dead end. He needed to find that brat.

He needed to figure a way out of this mess he'd gotten himself into. So far since his 'death' he'd stayed reclusive, hiding himself away from the many prying eyes of the world. But he was tired of that kind of life. He liked people and being with them. More precisely, he liked controlling them. He'd been unable to do much of that in his forced seclusion. What he needed was to get back to the world.

What he needed was to get that boy back. He was the key to a future where he was king of the world. If only he could track down Asabi. So help him that tall pile of bones was going to pay for stabbing him in the back.

How could you love someone so much and feel like you were beginning to hate the person that gave her to you? Clark asked himself that every time he looked at the little girl growing and thriving in his care. He hadn't brought her out to live with him for fear of losing her to the same evils that had taken her mother away from her. He had stepped up his care though. He spent both of his days off in Kansas and every other month, Perry spent a week with him in Metropolis, despite his fears. It was how he felt about Perry's mother that had begun to gnaw at him.

Lois hadn't answered that first card. It hadn't come back, but she hadn't answered either. He'd waited... and waited. Finally he'd sent another, with much the same message. Six cards and six months later, he, too, was beginning to feel the same way Perry, Jimmy, and Jack did. Perry had even stopped his weekly visits to Glendale, choosing instead to go just once a month. The twins' second birthday was on fast approach and Clark had never felt so frustrated about anything in his life. He wanted desperately to help Lois- almost felt a *need* to help her. But until she felt like she was ready to help herself, there wasn't much he could do.

"No!" shouted the little boy as he stared up at the man smiling at him.

"Absolutely amazing," Bill Church, Sr. said as he looked into the face of his future. A future with untold potential.

"He's just a boy," said the woman holding the child.

"A very, very special boy," was the remark from Bill, Jr.

"Are we still on track?" asked Asabi as he stood with his hands clasped behind his back.

"You'll have the funds within the hour," was Sr's answer.

"Very good." He motioned for the woman to take the boy out of the room. "We shall see you in six months." He turned to leave.

"Keep coming here," Bill told him. "It's safer. We've had several inquiries into our practices lately."

"As you wish." The man bowed and walked out.

When they were gone, Bill, Jr. looked at his dad. "I'm telling you, Dad, that's her."

"Then I want her back here by dark. We're already nearly a year behind in the studies. The other subjects are too easily manipulated."

"You know who would make a good test subject? Superman."

"Don't be ridiculous, boy," Bill told his son as he sat down at the table in the small room. They'd met with Asabi to inspect the boy at a new location this time. It had been risky bringing others to their hideaway, but they hadn't had much choice. They'd been visited by one too many government agencies in recent weeks. It wouldn't do for one of Lex's minions to be seen coming or going from one of their properties in the city.

"It would just be an incredible experiment," the younger Bill said as he poured himself a drink from the bottle on the table. "All of that power reduced to a blubbering idiot..." He laughed softly at the thought of Superman acting like a child. "And if we could control his mind..."

"How do you propose we get control of him? Not to mention the fact that the good doctors have just barely been able to perfect the formula for humans..."

"I know, I know." He took a long sip from his glass.

"Why are you still here?" He looked up at his son with a stern expression. "I told you to get Lucy Lane back here."

"I'm going," he whined like a child, putting his glass back on the table.

Bill, Sr. rubbed his temples as his son left the room. That boy was more trouble than he was worth.

Outside the door a man tucked himself against the wall as Bill, Jr. walked past him. What now? What was he supposed to do? He'd been working in Church's lab for nearly a year now and before that in Luthor's lab, creating drugs that could literally strip a man of his mind. He'd watched and monitored some of the strongest men he'd ever seen as they'd been transformed into babies again. Now they wanted to test those drugs on his daughter. Well, not if he could help it. Sam Lane hurried in the direction of his meager room. He'd grab a few things, then he'd do what he should have done from the beginning- he'd help his family.

Sam went back to the lab, thanking the powers that be that Paul was not there. He grabbed a sample of the mind altering drugs they'd been concocting, then slipped out of Church's compound. He hotwired a van and drove away without a second look from anyone. He wasn't exactly a prisoner, but Bill had made it clear that it was easier for him to stay within the walls of his prison.

And that's what it was. He'd sealed his fate with his eyes wide open- knowing exactly what he was doing. The lure of all of that money Luthor had offered him was too great to pass up. Take a little money not to interfere with Luthor's marriage to his daughter. It seemed simple enough. However, when he began to notice the changes in Lois, he said something to Lex. That had been a huge mistake. He was escorted from the room that very day, never to be returned home. Fear for his girls' lives kept him in that lab working day and night. People had already died. He'd watched Nigel gun down several young men and women who had failed to comply with one request or another, so Sam never doubted Lex would do exactly what he said he'd do. When Lois had become pregnant, then after the birth, there were more lives to fear for.

But the hour of his greatest shame was the one where he went with Paul Lang willingly from one tyrant to another. Of course, Lex was dead. His daughter was in prison and unless he wanted to go for countless crimes, he'd keep his mouth shut and work next to a man that was almost as much a maniac as Lex. He later found out Paul was working for Bill Church. More precisely, he was selling Lex out. Or was he just straddling the fences? It was impossible to tell where Paul's loyalties lied. He'd given up trying. All he knew was that Lang was evil, had done some despicable things and threatened to do unimaginable evils unless Sam helped him. And he had, until today.

He'd allowed his daughter to be locked away, although he wasn't sure how he could help. But she probably thought he'd helped put her there. He'd allowed his grandson to be taken who knew where and until tonight, by one of Lex's nameless puppets. He hadn't known exactly why the child had been carted away, but after overhearing the conversation in Church's office, he knew now. Asabi saw the boy as a paycheck. And what was with all the mumbo jumbo about the boy being 'amazing' and 'special'?

It had been all he could do to keep quiet in his hiding place as he gazed at the woman holding his grandson. He'd loathed that child at one time because Luthor was his father. He realized now, the boy was also part of Lois. But what made him nearly shout out was the woman holding the child. Her hair was shorter, her face fuller. She looked peaceful and healthy. She looked like his little girl again. That was the reason he would not allow her to be *his* test subject. She- Lucy Lane, his youngest daughter- was the reason he was risking his neck now. To hell with his life- it was over. His business had probably fallen apart by now. His associates no doubt believed him dead. He'd save Lucy. He'd save his grandson.

Lucy stood looking out the window of the house she had lived in for the past six weeks. Asabi had moved them so many times in the last year it was hard to keep count. If it wasn't for the little boy sleeping in the other room, she'd have been gone long ago. It didn't matter what they did to her. She'd ruined her own life with the endless stream of booze and drugs. If the law caught up with her, she'd be in the state prison with Lois. But that baby boy needed someone to protect him. He was the reason she got up each morning and he was the reason she stayed.

She turned to look at the dark haired child lying on the bed. Fear had kept her from wavering where he was concerned. They'd threatened to break his legs, his arms, his fingers. She'd believed them when they said they could find him anywhere. Just look at all the places they'd been. It took a lot of money and endless resources to keep them on the move. What they said must be true.

Movement off to the side caught her eye, scaring her at first. The bush beside the steps moved and she took a half step backwards. When a man jumped over the rail and landed on the porch, she almost screamed.

"Daddy?" she whispered. She moved to the door and opened it slowly.

"Grab a bag and let's get out of here before Asabi gets back," Sam said the time he stepped inside. He was stuffing clothes into a bag before she could move.

"What are you doing here?"

"Getting you out." He stopped and looked at her. "What are you waiting for?"

"They'll find us."

"We'll hide in plain sight. If they try anything, they'll go down."

"Plain sight?"

"When we leave here, we're going straight to Metropolis."

Lucy stared at him like he had lost his mind. "We can't do that."

"You can't stay here."

"I have to." She waved at the boy.

"He's coming, too," Sam said and continued to gather a few things for them.

"Daddy..." she pleaded and reached out to grasp his arm.

"Lucy," he said, his eyes filling with tears. "If you stay, they are going to turn you into a lab rat." He stared at her, trying to explain in his expression what he couldn't voice. "Please, honey. Let's just leave. We'll go to Perry White. He'll know what to do."

She glanced back at Collin, then nodded. Quickly she helped her dad gather a bag for the baby and for herself before she carefully lifted the boy from the bed. She followed Sam out and down the street to a waiting van. He closed them up in back and sped away.

For the third time in the past month Perry was contemplating retirement. The situation with Lois had dampened his fire for news. He was at the point where he could almost care less. It would be so much easier to just get up every morning and head down to the dock to drown a few worms in his search for Old Nelly. Old Nelly was rumored to be the largest bass in Lake Murray. She was the reason he'd bought a house in Cutler's Cove six years ago. His ringing phone was a welcome distraction.

"Perry White."

"Meet me on Carver Road, at the motel across from Jones' Diner. Room six on the side. Come as quick as you can get here and Perry... bring the posse. We're going to need a police escort out of here."

There was a click, telling him the caller had hung up. He'd thought that was the strangest call in the world, then his mind registered what his ears had heard. "I'll be an Elvis impersonator!" he shouted and jumped to his feet. "Kent!"

Clark looked up to see his editor running out of his office. "Get your butt in gear. Jimmy, call Henderson and tell him to get a team of his trusted men down to Carver Road Motel. Jack, we need the rep from the Center here ASAP!"

"Chief?" Clark asked him, his heart beginning to pound. The Center meant there might be word about Collin.

"I just got a call from Sam Lane. Let's go get our boy!" Of course, he hadn't said he had the boy, but Perry knew enough to know this was it. This was what they'd been waiting. "Get Mayson on the phone," he told Clark as they stepped into the elevator.

"Wait up. We're coming, too," Jack shouted as he and Jimmy ran to the car with them. Both were on their cell phones. By the time they reached the parking level, all of them were talking. They hurried in the direction of Perry's car and two minutes later, Clark was driving them out onto the street.

"Carver Road?" he asked, unsure which direction to go.

"Take I-36 toward Glendale. It's exit 16."

"Henderson says to tell you he'll pick you up at exit 3 for an escort. He's blocking the north bound lane," Jimmy said as he leaned up over the seat. "What did he say?"

"Just to get there and bring the boys in blue."

"And you're sure it was Sam Lane?" Jack wanted to know.

"Yeah, Jack, I'm sure. It took me a second to recognize his voice, but it was him." Perry held tight to the door as Clark weaved in and out of traffic.

"You do know this would be quicker if you'd just fly us out?" All three men glared at Jack when he spoke to Clark. "What? It would, but I guess considering we might have half the police force with us in two minutes..." He pointed up ahead at the dozen or so cars on the interstate overpass.

"I thought we agreed we wouldn't let him know we knew," Jimmy whispered fiercely.

"I just think it's crazy not to tell him we know. I mean, come on. Clark's our friend and it would be so much easier for him not to have to make up those lame excuses."

Clark whipped the car to the side of the road half way up the ramp to the interstate, then shifted so he could see the other men in the car. "What?"

Perry reached over and grasped his shoulder. "We know you're Superman, son. We've known for a while now. We..." He cut his eyes at Jack. "... agreed we wouldn't say anything because we felt you had a good reason for keeping it from us."

"Tell 'em, CK," Jack said. "You would have told us eventually. We're family, right? Family sticks together and you were going to let us in on it sooner or later."

Clark looked at his wide expectant eyes and wanted to hug the younger man. Jack didn't give trust easily. To have him feel so strongly toward him was amazing. He'd thought about telling them more than one time, especially lately. "How?" was what he finally wanted to know.

"I swear Jack's got Mad Dog blood," Jimmy told him. "He figured it out."

"And you felt you should discuss it with them instead of me?" Clark wanted to know.

"Come on, CK, I talk about everything with Jimmy and hell, the Chief already knew. He knows everything."

Not being able to do anything else, Clark smiled. "I would have told you," he let Jack know as he carefully pulled back onto the road.

Jack clapped Clark's shoulder over the seat, grinning from ear to ear. "Don't worry. Your secret's safe with us."

"Yeah, CK," Jimmy added. "But personally, I'm glad you know I know. It makes knowing a lot easier."

"I'm glad you know, too, Jimmy." And he was. He liked having others who knew. Others he could talk to. "So, Sam said he has Collin?" Clark asked of Perry, closing the discussion on his alter ego for now.

"No. But he's got him."

"I wonder how," Jimmy said. "The man's been MIA for a while now. Do you think he's had him this whole time?"

"Oh, for his sake he better not have," Perry told them. "I'll kill that man myself."

As they reached the waiting police cars Clark blinked his lights, allowing the escort to take the lead. Several more marked and unmarked cars fell in behind. The thirty mile drive barely took fifteen minutes. Police cars swarmed the motel, surrounding it completely. A swat van that had been the second vehicle to arrive, emptied the fully dressed team onto the courtyard. Within seconds, every door had been kicked open to make sure the building was secure. They were about to go through number six when it opened.

"Don't shoot," Sam Lane said as he stepped into the doorway with his hands held up. "My daughter and grandson are coming out."

Lucy, clutching Collin, slowly exited the room and was immediately swept toward the police van by two officers.

"Collin!" Clark breathed and was on his way toward them until Perry held him back.

"Let them do their jobs, son."

The five or so minutes he waited was pure torture. Finally the van doors opened and Henderson stepped out holding Collin.

"Let's go, Kent," he shouted and the man was off.

Clark was ushered into the opposite door of the cruiser Henderson had shoved the baby into. A female officer was holding Collin when Clark closed the door. The car sped away, following another vehicle and with one behind.

"Hi there, little guy," Clark told the boy as he looked at him. The poor fellow looked scared to death. His wide eyes searched back and forth, trying to keep up with everything that was happening. "I sure am glad to see you." He reached out tentatively to touch his hand. The stress and commotion was just too much. The boy primped up and started to cry.

"Maybe you should take him," the officer suggested. She looked more terrified than the child.

Collin screamed loudly, but didn't fight as Clark pulled him over onto his lap. "I know you don't know what's going on, but I promise you're safe now," he spoke softly as he put the boy against his chest. "I know. I know," he soothed as the baby kept crying. He fought for a minute, then gave up and let Clark hold him. "Shhh," he told him, smoothing his hand over his back. "Shhh."

By the time they made it back into the city, Collin had calmed to a whimper. His soft hiccups vibrated through Clark's chest as he continued to struggle with what was going on. The police car pulled up to the back entrance of the station and Clark was guided inside. The representative from the Center for Missing Children was there and so was Mayson Drake.

"Clark!" She and the rep, along with a couple of other people were waiting inside the conference room. "Poor thing must be scared to death."

"Yeah," Clark agreed as he held the boy while he sat up to look around him. His eyes met Mayson's and filled with tears again.

"Oh, honey, don't cry."

"Stop!" he yelled and slapped at her.

Clark grasped his hand gently and tucked it by his side. "Calm down, little man. It's going to be okay." The boy's eyes met his and they stared at one another. Collin must have decided the man was okay because he looked around at everyone else.

"Congratulations, Mr. Kent," the rep spoke up. "We just need to go over a few things and we'll close this case. Something we're more than ready to do."

Clark returned the smile from the other man as he glanced at the child he held. He talked with the rep and the other men he learned that were also from the Center. One was liaison to the child protective services agency on Clark's behalf. The details of official transfer of custody were all completed, the men congratulated Clark and left him and the boy alone with Mayson.

"All of the paperwork is done," Mayson told him. "As soon as Bill gets here, you can take him home."

Home, Clark thought as looked at the boy. He had what he'd been praying for this last year and suddenly he was scared senseless. He had no idea what kind of trauma this child had been through, how difficult he'd behave, or even how he'd suddenly ended up in a motel outside the city. Who'd had him? Why? Who would be looking for him now?

A large hand smoothed down the unruly black hair on the baby's head as he looked at him. Collin was just as gorgeous as his sister. He had the same chubby cheeks and wide, brown eyes. He couldn't wait to see them together. Would they remember one another? Would they get along?

Was his parents ready for another toddler? Was he?

Before he could think about any of that, Henderson, Perry, and the others came in.

"Oh, wow, look at you," Jimmy said as he got his first look at the baby. Collin glared at him, pulling away slightly.

"Kid, we are so damn glad to see you," Jack thought he should know.

"Language, Jack," Perry reprimanded the younger man. He rubbed Collin's arm and smiled brightly. "Your mama's gonna see me now whether she wants to or not."

"Does this mean we're back in business?" Jack wanted to know.

"All bets are off," Perry answered without looking away from the boy. Jack pumped his fist, more than ready to get back to the investigation.

"Okay, so we've questioned Sam a bit," Henderson spoke up, cutting into their reunion. "He was on Luthor's payroll until the high dive." Henderson wasn't exactly sad the man was gone. "Sam was recruited by Paul Lang to help create a mind altering drug. That's where he's been until three days ago. He overheard a negotiation between Bill Church and Asabi. Asabi, along with Lucy Lane, have had the child. Lucy was found in the gutter right after Lois was locked up. She was cleaned up and taken to Spain to care for the baby. She was also drugged to keep her nice and calm."

"Sam overheard this exchange and what? Finally decided it was time for him to be a man?" Perry wanted to know.

"He claims threats were made, that he stayed and did the work to keep his girls and the boy alive," Bill went on. "But when Church ordered his son to bring Lucy back to be the test subject for this new drug, Lane leapt into action. He said he felt Lois, Lucy, and Collin were safer in the spotlight."

"How did he find them?" Clark asked.

"I have no idea and he hasn't said. I guess he knew who to ask and where to look."

"Why clean Lucy up if you're just gonna pump her full of pills again?" Jack spoke up.

"The drugs she was given were a lot different than the street stuff she was taking. But she's a mess. Her mind is almost like mush. She'll have to undergo some serious rehab before she'll be lucid enough to testify against Luthor."

"Testify against Luthor?" Jimmy asked him.

"Oh yeah. Nigel took her to Spain and kept her there. That's international kidnapping. And if my hunch is right, Luthor ordered that kidnapping long before he went for his little flight. Anyway, Sam Lane has a long night ahead of him answering questions about his last few months. Kent, take that boy home and hold him tight."

"Don't worry, Bill. I intend to." Clark smiled at Collin who was still staring wide-eyed at everyone.

"We're hoping Sam can help us locate Nigel and Asabi and anybody else who might pose a threat. But if you feel you need protection, don't hesitate to ask for it. I'll make some calls and have a little muscle sent out to Kansas if I need to. You do intend to take him to the farm?"

"In a day or two," Clark confirmed. He didn't know for sure, but he believed Henderson knew little Perry was Lois' child, too. Of course, he'd learned today that many people knew all kinds of things.

"You'll have to bring the baby into the hospital tomorrow for an exam. I would have ordered it tonight, but Lucy assures me that since he's been with her he hasn't been harmed."

Clark's eyes shifted from Bill to Collin. He hadn't thought about anything being wrong with the baby. He guessed it made sense to have him checked out though. Maybe he'd even give him a once over Superman style in a little while to make sure.

"It's a mad house out there," Bill said as he opened the door.

"We knew this wouldn't stay quiet long," Perry spoke up. "Ready?" he asked Clark.

"Yeah."

The rep from the Center had gone out the front door to give a statement to the mass of press that had gathered in such a short time. Sometimes it was amazing how quickly the news world found out things. Clark followed Perry out the back where he'd parked. He tucked Collin's head against his chest and got into the backseat of the car.

"I'll call you," Mayson said as she held the door and looked in on him.

"Thank you," he said as he gave her a half smile.

"Just take care of him." She closed the door and watched the car pull away.