Chapter 5

Lois banged loudly on Clark’s apartment door, tapping her foot impatiently as she waited for him to open it. After a moment, she grabbed the doorknob to test it. It was open so she let herself in. After all, as his girlfriend she had certain privileges.

“Clark?”

“Lois?” His voice came from the bedroom.

She wandered in and opened his refrigerator, scanning for food. She was always amazed by the amount of junk food he kept on hand. She suspected he’d just gotten out of the shower and was getting dressed. As she bit into a cupcake, she envisioned Clark with damp hair and beads of water running down his naked flesh. Then she tried to dismiss that image from her mind as she had more important issues to focus on.

“Have you heard from Superman?” she asked as Clark came out of the bedroom, with damp hair, clad in dress pants and an unbuttoned oxford shirt.

“You’re barely here a minute and you’re already asking about him?”

His critical tone took her aback. “We promised Perry an article.”

“I got the facts. Last night.“ He motioned towards a tablet on the coffee table.

As much as she wanted to read it, she noticed Clark was struggling with buttoning his shirt using one hand. Maybe his sour mood was due to the pain from his burned hand. He probably hadn’t slept well either.

“Let me help you.”

She stood in front of him, slowly working her way up to his collar with the buttons, feeling slightly foolish about the effect his physical proximity had on her.

Focus Lane! Focus!

Her hands trembled as she grasped the shirt tail to tuck it in. He placed his hand over hers. “Maybe I’d better tuck it in myself,” Clark said.

“Yeah.” Lois stepped aside, with an embarrassed smile. She sank onto the couch to read his article as Clark finished getting ready.

Minutes later, she screamed, brandishing Clark’s article. “Just a bad day? Just a bad day?” Her voice rose, “You’ve gotta be kidding! You don’t actually believe this garbage?”

“Why not? Why can’t Superman have a bad day?” Clark snapped.

“Because it’s happened more than once. There’s something wrong! We’ve got to help him!”

Regaining his composure, he stated, “You want us to write an article that scares people half to death and damages Superman’s credibility? The criminals will love that. How’s that any better? How does that help Superman? Or anyone else? Isn’t it better to buy him some time and see if this will pass?”

“I guess so,” she answered, calming some. “But Clark, I’m worried. He doesn’t seem like himself.”

“He had other things on his mind when I last spoke with him.” Resentment tinged his voice.

Shame flooded over her when she realized part of what might be bothering Clark. Did he know about the kiss? Had Superman mentioned it to him? Had they argued about it? Then again, Clark had seemed strained about Superman even before that. Perhaps their quarrel was about an unrelated matter.

Should she tell him about the kiss? Or would that just make things worse? Clark grew irritated when she just mentioned Superman’s name. What was going on with the two of them? It was probably better not to address the kiss. She’d let Superman know where she stood. Wasn’t that sufficient?

It hadn’t been easy to turn him away. The memory of his lips on hers, the feel of his arms around her quickly came back to her mind. It was difficult to banish completely. Yet she was just as attracted to Clark. Besides, Superman was a dream. Clark was real.

How ironic. The more the two men in her life seemed to fall apart, the more drawn she felt to each of them. This wasn’t like her. She’d never been the nurturing type. There had never been any inclinations towards babysitting for her. Not even a pet rescue. Even her fish tended to live numbered days due to her inability to remember to feed them on a regular basis. All of her house plants were of the plastic genus.

“Can you reach him? We’ll need to keep a close eye on this,” she asked tentatively, risking offending him.

“I’ll try. Later.”

Lois left it alone for now. “Okay – then I gotta tell you my new plan to nail Cicone. We don’t need his copy of the invoices. Since Louie gave us specifics, we can search for the originals at the supply warehouses where the beams were originally purchased.”

XXXXX

Metropolis mourns the loss of dozens of passengers on the A train. A faulty relay resulted in rampant acceleration. Traveling at such speed, the train was unable to make the switch away from uncompleted elevated tracks.

Only Superman could’ve saved them.

Superman was their only hope.

Superman flew faster, tuning out the broadcast.

What had happened?

He was there, flying along the tracks. He’d tried his best. He’d landed in front of the train and dug his heels in. It had been gradually slowing down; he’d thought he’d done it. But it hadn’t been enough. The train didn’t stop before it came to the end of the elevated tracks. He’d frantically tried to pick up the pieces, but there’d been too many. It was a gut wrenching sight. Over a hundred people had been killed or gravely injured.

He’d stayed around, frantically zipping about, trying to assist the wounded. Some members of the crowd of injured passengers and bystanders were angry with him – shouting insults, blaming him for the damage. Others came up to him to murmur their gratitude.

Had he misjudged the situation?

Would it have been possible for him to save all those people?

Had he only made the situation worse?

He focused on flying to the one place he felt safe.

XXXXXX

“It will work,” Lois insisted, leaning over her desk to grab a pencil. “Like I told you, instead of getting the verification from the invoices from the Cicone construction site, we can directly check the suppliers’ records since we know exactly what items we’re looking for.” She glanced over her shoulder. “Jimmy, did you get those addresses for the warehouses?”

“Right here.”

“I don’t know about this, Lois,” Clark said, nervously.

“What do you mean? The invoices will show Cicone purchased material that isn’t up to code. It’s not much but it could produce enough doubt to allow us to push for an independent inspector to visit the site. If we can verify that there are building code violations, we’ve got him.”

“What about that goon that threatened us?’ Clark pointed out.

“What about him?” Lois shrugged. “It’s part of the job – you know that.”

“It just seems….dangerous.”

His stomach was turning in knots. He couldn’t protect her. Now or at any other time. If only he could tell her how close some of her past calls had really been. How many times he’d nearly lost her, maybe she’d be more cautious.

“C’mon, Jimmy gave me a list of five building supply warehouses in the metropolitan area.” Lois grabbed her purse.

Clark didn’t move. “Maybe we should wait.”

“Why? What’s with you, Clark? This isn’t like you. We’ve been in lots of dangerous situations before and you’ve handled it fine. What’s going on?”

“I’m just…”

‘Scared out of my mind that you’ll get killed and my life will become utterly meaningless’, he thought.

“I…just…”

“Out with it.”

“Lois, if something were to happen to you…”

“Oh.”

Her cheeks became flushed when she looked into his brown eyes. Then she regained her senses. “But Clark, that’s part of who I am. Part of who we are. We investigate. We take chances. It’s what we do. Did you really think you were gonna put me in a box to keep me safe? Why would you expect me to become someone else just because we’re a couple?”

Begrudgingly, he admitted, “You’re right. I’m just not myself today. I didn’t sleep that well. Maybe this medication is causing problems.”

“Are you sure you’re up for this?” she teased.

“You’re not going without me,“ Clark insisted while firmly grasping her hand. At least that way he could keep an eye on her.

“Cleaning crew? Or should we sneak in tonight?”

“How about cleaning crew. It might be safer to hide in plain sight.”

XXXXXX

“You don’t want me to visit?” Superman asked Jonathan. The two men were sitting on the stairs of the front porch with a view of the cornfields.

“Heavens no! That’s not what I meant. It’s just…I’m surprised – that’s all. We’ve seen a lot of you lately. You’ve been so busy and all, I’m just surprised you have the time.” He studied his son with concern. “Want to talk about what happened with that train?”

“I don’t know what happened!” Superman shouted at his father, immediately regretting it. “I’m sorry, Dad. I didn’t mean to take it out on you.”

“Okay. Okay. I’m just trying to understand. Have you been exposed to anything that might weaken your powers? Maybe a new type of kryptonite? Something’s wrong. We need to figure this out.”

Superman sighed impatiently. He knew good and well what was wrong, but he couldn’t discuss that with his dad. He wasn’t improving. If anything his thoughts and emotions were becoming even more jumbled. Even worse, he’d misjudged his landing in Smallville, plowing a small furrow into his father’s back field. Was he losing control of his powers too?

He fully intended to grab Clark and locate that odd woman who’d done this to them to attempt to reverse this. He couldn’t continue like this. Yet, after their argument last night, he needed to give his alter-ego time to calm down.

“Why don’t you take a break? Give your powers a chance to recharge.”

Superman turned away from his dad.

Jonathan placed a supportive hand on his back. “I don’t care what anybody says. I know you did the best you could. That’s who you are. That’s what matters most. Maybe Superman needs a rest. Just a few days off. That’s all. You could help me out around the farm.”

Superman stood. “Dad, I am Superman. I help people. I was given these powers for a reason. I don’t know what’s going on but some people are starting to doubt in my abilities. I need to do this. It’s who I am.”

“Clark, don’t say that. You’re more than Superman. You always have been. That’s only part of you. You’re also a talented writer. You have friends at work. You have a girlfriend.”

His jaw was already sore from gritting his teeth. Jonathan meant well but if he had to listen to one more word he’d scream.

Superman was all he was now.

XXXXXXXXXX

“Hurry up, Clark!” Lois called.

Clark strove to ignore the pain churning in his gut. He’d tried to rationalize matters. Losing his super powers was a perfectly reasonable explanation for feeling powerless. He was coping with sensations that he’d never before dealt with. With time, he’d get used to it. He’d be fine.

Still, it felt like more than that. He’d been in dangerous situations before where his invulnerability hadn’t been a guarantee of his safety. Why was he having such difficulty now?

He pulled the brim of his ball cap down to shield his eyes as he stood before the cleaning cart while Lois jimmied the lock on the office door.

At the first warehouse while they’d riffled through files in a closed office, his heart had been pounding so loudly he’d been surprised Lois hadn’t heard it. What if those goons had shown up? What if they’d tried to hurt Lois?

Could he call for Superman?

While Lois’ safety was foremost in his mind - even in a moment of uncertainty- he’d already hesitated. A stranger had poked his head into the first office. Fortunately they’d managed to give him the impression they were there legitimately so he’d left them alone with no trouble.

But…what if he’d been one of Cicone’s men?

“I got it.”

Lois had opened the office door. Clark wiped the sweat from his brow. He didn’t think he could handle five of these visits in one day.

“You take that cabinet and I’ll look through the desk,” Lois instructed.

Clark concentrated on the files before him.

“You’re awfully quiet today,” she commented.

“Just concentrating.” He longed for his super sensitive hearing so he could determine if anyone was approaching. He was so nervous he could barely concentrate on what he was doing.

“Hey – I may’ve hit pay dirt!” Lois hissed. Clark rushed over.

“Look at this. Cicone purchased non-reinforced steel support beams.”

“Lois, you know they could claim it’s for another project.”

“Yeah, but it’s enough to get our foot in the door and you know it.” Excited by the prospect, she moved closer to Clark. “I’ll bet you a steak dinner with one scathing article we can stir up enough interest to warrant that independent inspection.”

“You’re on.” Clark grinned for the first time that day, gazing into Lois’ eyes.

“I believe you were warned to stay out of Mr. Cicone’s business.”

Neither had noticed the man now lurking by the door. “As promised, there will be consequences for your actions.” He reached beneath his jacket for a gun.

In that split second, Clark had a choice. He could mentally summon Superman for help. He didn’t think he’d have to say it out loud. They were still linked in some mysterious way. He was certain Superman would come. With his super speed, he’d make it in time to save her. Despite their argument, he would come. Clark had no doubt.

Or he could take the bullet himself.

It was a no brainer.

He hurled himself between Lois and the bullet.

XXXXX

“I don’t see how you have time for Lois and your job – you’ve been so busy,” Jonathan said, seated across from Superman at the kitchen table.

“Well, you know how it goes. You do what can. I haven’t seen much of Lois lately,” Superman replied while reaching for a sandwich.

“But Clark, didn’t you just tell us this morning that you were spending lots of time with her? I know your metabolism is fast, but it sounded like you ate dinner with us and with Lois last night,” Martha said.

Darn it! Leave it to Clark to set him up like this.

He tried to remember what he’d been doing last night, but his mind was a complete blank. So he improvised. “It was more like a late night snack. Lois wanted to try some new Italian place which is pretty crowded during regular hours.”

Martha’s frown revealed he’d said the wrong thing. “You told me you tried a new Chinese take-out place.”

That’s right! Clark had been resting because of his injured hand and Lois had most likely brought something in.

With suspicion, his mother asked, “Aren’t you supposed to be working with Lois today?”

“Yeah but the train came up and…I had to leave. You know that.”

“That was around nine this morning. Isn’t she going to wonder what you’ve been doing?” His mother could read him like a book.

Superman protested, “Mom! I deal with this every day. You know that!”

“You’ve got to tell her the truth.”

“It’s too soon.”

Trying to defuse the tension, Jonathan asked, “Tell us more about that story you’re working on.”

Clark was certainly exacting his anger about that kiss. What had he told them? He tried to remember the little bits he’d overheard.

“He’s working on something about construction – nothing major.”

A flush crept up his neck as he tried to ignore his parents’ concerned glances.

“Why are you talking about yourself that way?” Mom’s voice rose with alarm.

Getting flustered, he replied, “I have to do this all the time when I’m Clark. I told you! It’s complicated. Sometimes it’s hard to turn it off.”

“I thought you said this could blow the lid off a corrupt corporation? Potential Pulitzer?” Jonathan said.

Superman laughed, “Well, you always hope that.”

His mother stared at him with concern. “Clark, is there something you’re not telling us?”

“No.”

He squirmed under her scrutiny. He’d never been a very good liar. Any minute he was going to start spilling his guts. He was also disturbed that Clark’s presence, always steady like a homing beacon to him, had been fading. He needed to find Clark and fix this.

Pretending to hear a distress call, Superman rose. “I’ve gotta go.”

“But Clark – you can’t. You almost ran into the barn earlier. You’re supposed to be resting. It might not be safe for you. You’re in no shape for this,” Martha objected.

“I don’t have a choice.”

XXXX

Lois’ neck was stiff. She stretched and paced the sterile corridor once again, staring at the double doors, waiting for a doctor to come out. Clark had been rushed to surgery upon arrival. She’d spent the last two hours sitting, waiting for news. Perry and Jimmy had stopped by, expressing their concern but she’d encouraged them to go back to work. She preferred to wait alone.

Then she realized she needed to contact Clark’s parents. She tracked down a payphone and after a few calls, found their number.

“Martha, Jonathan,” she sniffed, fighting tears. “I have some bad news for you.”

“What do you mean dear?” Martha and Jonathan answered. One of them must be on the extension.

“Clark…” she sobbed, embarrassed that the flood gates were starting to open. Talking about it made it too real. “We were trying to get some documents for a story and…and…Clark was shot.”

“What?” Martha’s voice was flat, devoid of emotion.

Her lack of reaction confused Lois. Or maybe her own shock was coloring her perspective?

“The bullet went in his shoulder. He’s lost a lot of blood. They don’t know if he’s gonna make it.”

“Clark’s in the hospital?” Jonathan asked, with disbelief.

His parents must be in denial.

“Yes. Metropolis General.”

“When did this happen?” Martha insisted.

“I don’t know. Maybe around eleven? He’s been at the hospital since then.”

“What?”

Lois was definitely losing it. Why would Clark’s mom sound angry?

“We’ll be there as soon as we can.”

XXXXXXXX

Much later, a doctor clad in scrubs appeared in the waiting room. Lowering his mask, he said, “He’s lost a lot of blood. I’m not gonna lie to you, the next twenty-four hours will be crucial.”

“But…he could survive?” Lois asked.

“It’s possible. The bullet missed his heart and lungs but grazed an artery. We’ll need to do surgery to repair it but for now he’s too weak.”

“Can I see him?”

“Sure.”

Lois stepped into the recovery room. It was odd to see Clark like this. Flat on his back and helpless. An IV in his arm and a heart monitor strapped to his chest. She clasped his hand and squeezed it, foolishly hoping for some minor response.

“Clark,” she whispered.

She felt devastated that he’d taken that bullet for her, especially when he’d tried to warn her earlier that day. Even though he’d seemed unusually insistent, she hadn’t listened. If only she hadn't been so stubborn. She’d have given anything if she could’ve switched places with Clark and taken the bullet that had been originally intended for her.

“I’m so sorry, Clark,” she sobbed, tears starting to trickle down her cheeks.

Time seemed to stand still as she sat by his bedside, praying he’d survive.

XXXXXX

Lois had fallen asleep in a chair near Clark’s hospital bed. When she opened her eyes, Jonathan and Martha were there, staring at their son as if they couldn’t believe their eyes.

Ashamed, she approached them. Knowing she couldn’t do it any other way, she blurted out, “Clark took a bullet for me. He saved my life.”

Would his parents hate her now? It was her fault that Clark was so badly injured. Yet they didn’t even seem to be listening to her heartfelt confession. She genuinely liked his parents but their reaction was confusing her.

Suddenly, Superman entered the room. It occurred to Lois that she’d only seen the two men side by side once. Without his glasses, Superman and Clark almost looked like twins. They could’ve been…

Before Lois could greet him, Martha immediately shouted, “What’s going on? What have you done?”

Superman seemed embarrassed. “Mom-”

“You’ve got to fix this. Can you fix this?”

Lois had never seen her so frightened.

Mom?

That was it! Similar body build, similar coloring…

“Clark and Superman are brothers? Twins?” Lois asked.

That would explain why they were so close. Why Clark always seemed to have inside information about Superman. And why she was so attracted to both men.

“No,” Martha snapped at Lois. “It’s not that simple.” Focusing on Superman, she demanded,”What did you do?”

Looking ashamed, he replied, “It was stupid.”

“Monumentally idiotic is more like it. Can you fix this?” Her eyes nervously rested on Clark’s body. “Is there time?”

TBC