Separate - Chapter 4

“This is a Channel 6 Special Report. Superman has arrived at the Diamonte coal mine in White Sulfur, West Virginia to rescue several trapped workers. We believe there are at least eight men who have been trapped deep below the surface for over an hour now. It is uncertain if the men have access to fresh air so timing is critical. Only minutes ago, rescue workers accompanied the Man of Steel into the mine to enter the collapsed chamber. Now it’s just a waiting game. It could be minutes. Or more likely, hours.”

The Number 12 shaft of the Diamonte Coal mine has been open for decades, prompting the expansion of tunnels, possibly beyond recommended safety limits. An explosion around nine o’clock this morning caused a cave-in, sealing off one of the deepest branches.
Our thoughts and prayers are with those miners and their families.”

The camera panned over to a group of frantic women congregated by the entrance, closing in eventually on one of the prettier ones, a young red head with tears streaming down her cheeks.

The trim blonde reporter started to approach them to focus on the human aspect of the story and fill time when Superman flew out, carrying two unconscious men.

Paramedics rushed over with emergency kits while two of the women hurried to their spouses. Superman returned to the mine.

“I can’t believe it! Superman has rescued two of the miners,” a woman cried.

The crowd cheered.

Seemingly seconds later, Superman flew out once more, ferrying two more men before returning to the mine.

“You saw it here on Channel 6 News. Cynthia Harris reporting.”

The dire atmosphere was lifting. Superman had saved four of the men! The crowd focused on the entrance of the mine, eagerly anticipating his return with the remainder of the men.

After taking a commercial break, a distant rumble captured live on camera startled them. The crowd hushed, exchanging worried glances.

The reporter turned to the camera.

“Once again, this is Cynthia Harris with Channel 6 News and we’re live at the Diamonte coal mine where a cave-in has trapped up to eight men. Superman has rescued four men so far. We are anxiously awaiting his return with the other men.”

The tension in the crowd rose as they waited for Superman to return.

As the minutes dragged by the reporter was about to cut to another commercial break when Superman and other rescue workers finally came out.

Walking.

Without the missing men.

Anguished cries filled the air.

“Superman!” The reporter ran after him. “What happened?”

Covered with coal dust, he replied, lacking his typical poise, “I did all I could. I’m sorry!” He flew away.

One of the rescue workers grabbed the reporter. “You wanna know the truth? Superman screwed up. He pushed a beam too hard and brought everything down. There’s no chance anybody down there is alive. Some hero.”

XXXXXX

Most of the staff in the news room of The Daily Planet stood glued in front of televisions, stunned by the rescue worker’s harsh accusation about Superman.

“That’s not fair! He can’t do everything,” Lois cried.

By her side, Perry agreed. “That’s right. But this hasn’t been the only incident. There was that mix-up with the bank robbery yesterday and there are rumors filtering in from Chicago and New Zealand about similar issues. Something’s wrong. Lois – why aren’t you already on this? You and Clark need to get Superman talking - fast. Get the scoop for us.”

“We will, Chief.”

Looking about, Perry asked, “Where is your partner?” Lowering his voice, he asked, ”Everything going okay with you two? You work things out yesterday? Relationships with people you work with can be tough. You haven’t torn each other apart yet – have you?”

“Perry!”

“That might account for his head not being in his work lately.”

Taken aback, Lois asked, “What do you mean?”

“Look at this.” He showed her a draft of an article. “These are rookie mistakes.”

Lois scanned Clark’s latest piece. “Oh.”

“Love can make men do pretty stupid things. Tell that boy to get his head out of the clouds, will you? We need him firing on all cylinders,” Perry gently admonished.

“I will.” Lois answered, slightly embarrassed that she might be the cause of Clark’s poor work performance.

She and Jimmy were watching the scathing TV commentary about Superman’s efforts at the coal mine when Clark stepped out of the elevator.

“Hey there. About time,” she teased him. Noticing bits of toilet paper clustered on his jaw line, she stifled a giggle. He resembled a teenager who’d just learned to use a razor blade.

Rather than his usual charming smile, he muttered, “I’m doing the best that I can.”

She walked over to his desk, surprised by his ill temper. She’d thought Clark was more of a morning person. “Perry needs us to contact Superman about...” She hesitated, realizing it would upset him, since he admired Superman as much as she did. Or maybe he’d already heard? “The cave-in.”

“What?”

“Haven’t you been watching the news? A rescue worker accused him of using bad judgment which caused a secondary collapse in the shaft, burying the remaining men.”

His eyes widened, indicating his shock. “No! That can’t be.”

“Perry wants us to get Superman’s side of the story. Can you contact him?”

“Yeah. I’ll try.” He said half-heartedly, turning his attention to his computer.

“Can you contact him using your computer?” She tapped the desk impatiently.

Irritated, he answered, “No.”

“Then – do what you need to do! Why are you putting this off?” she insisted.

He ignored her, studying the display on his computer screen.

What was wrong with Clark? Couldn’t he see how important this was? This was huge! Superman was in trouble and they needed to help him. Now. From her conversation with the Man of Steel last night, she strongly suspected this wasn’t an isolated incident. She had to talk with him.

Studying Clark, she wondered if he was preoccupied with his feelings for her as Perry had suggested. Although they’d spent a lot of time together lately, his present attitude didn’t support that assumption. Was he just having trouble shifting gears after last night? He must be as annoyed as she was that their Cicone lead had fallen through. To be so close to breaking that story. She’d spent part of the night, pacing her apartment trying to come up with another way to pin that rat.

Regardless of the reason, something was off with Clark.

Drawing closer to him, she asked, “Are you okay?”
He was holding his right hand oddly, cradling it in a closed fist against his midriff. He winced when it inadvertently bumped the desk.

“What happened?”

“Nothing,” he replied, pulling the hand closer to his body.

If he thought he could get away with that, he was mistaken.

“Show me. Now.”

His eyes met hers. She meant business.

Reluctantly, he moved his right hand and opened it. His palm was covered with burnt flesh.

“Oh my God, Clark. We need to get you to the hospital!”

“No!”

What was it about men? Why were they too stubborn to take care of themselves properly?

“You’ve got to get this taken care of so it will heal properly. God forbid it gets infected.”

Sinking into his desk chair, he insisted, “I’m not going anywhere.”

Lois ignored him, grabbing her coat. “Let’s go.”

XXXX

“Welcome to Station WORK where our topic today is: Superman – hero or has-been? I’ll start us off with some sound bites from one of the wives at the cave-in at the Diamonte coal mine in West Virginia this morning.”

‘If Superman hadn’t messed up, my David would be alive!”

“Did Superman exercise poor judgment? Some of the rescue workers think so.”

“He screwed up. Royally.”

“Others think differently.”

“He’s not God. He can’t do everything. Even Superman has his limitations. If he hadn’t shown up today, we would’ve lost all those men.”

“Yesterday Superman detained the wrong suspects from a bank robbery. There are other unsubstantiated rumors as well.

“So callers, what are your thoughts? Is Superman allowed to make mistakes with our lives? Is he sick? Should we insist he take a vacation until he’s back in prime form? Pick up your phones and let us hear your voices.

“Caller Number 1, you’re on.”

“Hey, he made a few mistakes. Who doesn’t? Cut the guy a break.”

“Caller number 2, welcome to WORK.”

Well if I’m in a burning building, I want Superman to stay away. I’ll take my chances. I don’t need him making things worse.”

XXXXXX

Standing at the counter in the emergency room, Clark complained, “Can’t we just get some Band-Aids and go? We’ve got work to do.”

The stern look Lois gave him booked no discussion.

The clerk returned. “There are no medical records for Clark Kent.”

“Look again,” Lois insisted.

Clark had never felt such pain. No matter what he did, the skin continued to radiate heat. This morning he’d forgotten he was no longer invincible and grabbed a hot cast iron skillet with his bare hand. Instantly he’d realized what a mistake that had been. If Superman had been present, he could’ve cooled it with his breath. Rather than contacting him, Clark had tried cold water instead. He was feeling woozy, almost as if he were about to pass out.

He greatly needed to find out what was happening with Superman. Regardless of Lois’ pestering, it had to be a private conversation between he and his former alter-ego.

As much as he hated to admit it, he was glad Lois had accompanied him to the emergency room. There was a silver lining to this business. She’d take care of him.

“Where’s your insurance card?” Lois asked.

Insurance card?

It was as if she were speaking a different language. Why would he ever have needed that?

“Don’t you carry it in your wallet?”

“I…must’ve misplaced it.”

Lois assured the clerk, “He’s with the Daily Planet. Contact them. I’ll wait. Why don’t you sit down, Clark?”

Lois could bulldoze her way through any paperwork.

XXXXXXXX

“What are you doing here?” A young boy on a bike asked Superman who had just landed beside him on the sidewalk in a residential neighborhood.

“You need to get away from here. There’s a bomb in that car.” Superman gestured to an older dark blue Pontiac.

“How do you know?”

“I can hear it ticking.” He took a step towards it.

“What if you mess up?”

Sarcasm crept into Superman’s voice. “Would you rather I let it go off and have the flying debris damage all these houses and possibly kill you?”

“I guess not.”

“I’ll do the best I can. That’s all anyone can do,” he replied through gritted teeth, barely reigning in his temper. “At least your mistakes aren’t broadcasted on the nightly news,” he muttered as approached the car.

XXXXX

“Clark, why don’t you take off the suit?” Martha asked Superman who was seated at the kitchen table, which was set for dinner. She placed a bowl filled with salad on the table.

“I’m comfortable.”

Jonathan sat down beside him, pulling up his chair and putting his napkin in his lap. “Son, how have you had time to write your articles at the Planet? You’ve been all over the news.”

“It’s been great to accomplish so much,” Superman said, ignoring the question.

He prayed they wouldn’t bring up the bank debacle. Or the cave-in. At least the other incidents hadn’t come to light – yet.

“But Clark, what about your job? What about Lois?”

In some ways, Superman felt like an imposter. He’d grown up here with Martha and Jonathan. They were his parents as much as they were Clark’s. Yet when they’d wished themselves apart, he’d felt as if most of his personal history had gone with Clark. In a strange way it was as if they’d been a couple and were now divorcing. Clark got the friends, the apartment, and the job. He almost felt uncomfortable taking off the suit, as if trying to fraudulently pass himself off as Clark.

“Son?”

“Yeah, Dad?”

“Where were you?” Jonathan asked, noticing him staring off into the distance.

“Don’t you think you’re pushing yourself too hard?” his mom asked, joining them at the table.

“I’m not tired!” he replied, a little too strongly.

He didn’t understand what was happening. He couldn’t explain why he’d made such silly mistakes since the separation. Most people wouldn’t have to. Mistakes were a normal part of everyone’s lives. But he was Superman and under the world’s microscope. Newspaper columnists and talk show hosts were eagerly dissecting his errors. Although his parents would certainly be sympathetic, he didn’t want to discuss it.

Sensing she was striking a nerve, she changed subjects. “What are you doing about Lois? I know how important she is to you.”

“Martha,” Jonathan warned.

Superman swallowed hard. He and Clark had agreed not tell their parents about this situation, sensing they would not approve. Clark could no longer pop in for dinner at a moment’s notice, but he could talk with his parents on the phone. Had he spoken with them recently? Superman had no idea. He’d been avoiding Clark, embarrassed to discuss what was happening with him. They’d have to catch up and make sure their stories matched so as not to confuse their parents.

He sighed, thinking this arrangement was becoming just as confusing as the original one.

“Are you going to tell her?”

Trying to buy time, he replied, “I…I don’t want to talk about that.”

“Well, you’re certainly not going to make any progress joining us for dinner every night this week.”

“Why don’t you bring her to Smallville?” his dad asked. “Kind of a vacation?”

“Dad, bringing your girlfriend to your parents’ home for the first official visit is anything but a relaxing vacation. And Lois isn’t exactly the Smallville type.”

XXXXX

“How’s that?”

Lois finished checking the bandage on Clark’s palm. He was sitting on the couch with his legs stretched out on the coffee table in his apartment. The nurses had asked him about medication allergies and he’d just said he had none, hoping it was true. After washing down a few pills, he leaned back against a pillow.

“Better.”

“Want some company for a while?” Lois offered.

“Sure.”

She sat beside him, carefully leaning against his side.

“I know you’re worried about him.”

Clark grew tense. “Lois, I don’t want to talk about Superman!” He couldn’t explain the anger that rose within him whenever she mentioned the super hero.

Sitting upright, she exclaimed, “How can you not? He’s your friend. And he’s obviously in trouble. Clark, we need to find out what’s going on! He might need our help!”

Irritated, Clark responded, “We will. Just let me rest a few minutes, okay?”

Lois rose. “What if he’s been exposed to some new type of Kryptonite? What if he’s caught some disease?”

“I’m worried too. I’m just…a little distracted right now,” he replied while brandishing his bandaged hand.

She returned to sit by Clark’s side. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, it’s feeling a little better.”

“No…I mean…what about you?”

“What about me?” He asked more playfully, leaning closer with the intention of kissing her.

She moved out of reach. “When’s the last time you had a physical? You need to keep up with these things. Maybe you should get checked out.”

Straightening up, he asked, “Why? I did something dumb and burned my hand. Case closed.”

Reluctantly, she explained, “No, there’s more. You’ve been forgetting things. Little things, but stuff you should know. You…made some mistakes in your latest articles. You just…haven’t seemed like yourself. I just want you to be okay.”

The last line was delivered with such concern that his annoyance vanished.

Grabbing her hand with his good one, he assured her. “I’ll be fine, Lois. With you here, how could I not be?”

She snuggled closer to him.

Neither noticed Superman hovering just outside the window.

XXXXX

“It’s been happening to you too?”

Clark closed the refrigerator door and turned to see Superman. He placed his glass of orange juice on the kitchen counter.

“What?”

“Forgetting things. Making stupid mistakes and not even realizing it,” Superman spoke intently.

“Well…maybe. I don’t know. Lois is making too big a deal of it. It’s just a side effect from the procedure. It ought to wear off soon.”

Superman’s voice rose. ‘What if doesn’t? I think it’s getting worse. People are laughing at me. You’re not in the public spotlight anymore. You remember how that feels.”

With greater sympathy, Clark replied, “Boy, do I. Let’s give it a day or so. If it gets worse, we’ll look for Madame Moresca . Together.”

Gesturing to Clark’s hand, Superman asked, “What did you do?”

“Grabbed the frying pan while it was hot. God, this thing throbs.”

“Want me to cool it off?” Superman offered.

“No.”

“Get some rest. I’m going to patrol.” Superman approached the window.

“Wait! What should I tell Lois? Or should I say, - what do you want us to say in our article for The Planet? Should we play up the honest mistake angle?”

The Man of Steel considered it. More solemnly he answered, “No. There’s been too many.”

With some alarm, Clark asked, “How many?”

Growing agitated, Superman said, “I don’t know. I’m not sure. I’m not doing this on purpose! If I could control it, don’t you think I would?"

“I know. I know.” Clark reassured him. “Wanna tell me about those incidents that you’re aware of?”

“No.”

“You’d rather it come up on Top Copy or plastered on the front page of some rag like The Star? Information is power. We can do damage control. Buy some time. We can try to present it in a better light.”

“Okay…”

XXXXXX

“Superman?” Lois glanced towards the open window at her apartment. “Thank God you’re here! We’ve been worried about you. Did Clark reach you?”

“Yes. I gave him as many details as I could.”

She’d been annoyed that Clark had refused to contact Superman while she was at his apartment. But he wasn’t feeling well so she didn’t want to push it. As much as he tried to hide it, Clark was worried about Superman too. She was irritated that Clark hadn’t included her at the actual meeting, but at least he’d finally arranged it.

She’d spent part of the evening brainstorming ideas about getting Cicone. Her coffee table was littered with papers and file folders.

“I’m sorry to hear about this morning. It could’ve happened to anyone,” Lois said while studying him. Even Superman wasn’t entirely invulnerable. Though he’d most likely not admit it, she could tell the bad press was getting to him.

“Yeah.” His tone lacked conviction. “I’d rather not talk about it.”

“Sure. I understand. I’m just worried. This isn’t like you. Can’t we take you to Star Labs? Surely they could help you. I’ll call Clark.” She reached for the phone.

“Maybe tomorrow.”

“But what if it gets worse? Shouldn’t we be going now?” she asked with increasing urgency.

“You’re blowing things out of proportion, Lois. Please. Give it one more day. It might be better tomorrow.”

Lois silently fumed, frustrated by the stubborn streak of the two men in her life.

Her traitorous heart skipped a beat when he sat down beside her on the couch.

“Have you ever felt like you’re completely alone?” Superman asked.

As much as she wanted to pester him about what was going on, it was clear he wanted to change the subject. So she played along. “How do you mean?”

“Like you could disappear and the world wouldn’t notice,” he said glumly.

“Everyone feels that way sometimes. But why would you? You’re one of the few people who can really make an impact on people’s lives. Metropolis would certainly miss you.”

He didn’t seem convinced.

“We’d be lost without you, Superman. Look at how many lives you saved just today.”

“But I don’t know those people. Other than saving their lives, I’ll never see them again. I have no connection with them. I’ll never really know who they are.”

Was Superman lonely?

It would be hard for him to form relationships with others, given his super abilities. Many would take advantage. She wondered if she should refer him to her analyst.

“What about you and Clark? You’re close friends. Can’t you talk to him?” she suggested.

“Yeah, it’s just…sometimes even we have…disagreements.”

“Just like all friends do,” Lois replied.

More to himself, he said, “You just want to feel like you fit in…somewhere. That you matter in someone’s life.”

“But you do Superman. You matter in my life.”

He pulled her close and kissed her. Unlike any kiss they had previously shared, it was not a casual kiss. Nor was it reserved. Whatever barrier Superman had once erected between the two of them was no longer present. Despite herself, Lois totally lost herself in it. Nothing was held back as she clung to him, her lips pressing against his. It felt wonderful.

When she finally came to her senses, she pulled away, stunned. She was horrified by her actions.

“I…can’t do this. You know I care about you. You mean the world to me. But I’m in love with Clark. This would destroy him.”

XXXXXX

“All of this was for nothing! She loves you – Clark Kent!” Superman shouted at Clark who was stunned out of a solid doze.

Rubbing his eyes and feeling somewhat woozy from medication, Clark tried to process what he’d just heard.

“What are you talking about?”

“She loves you!” Superman started pacing about the bedroom of Clark’s apartment.

Clark sat up in bed. “How do you know?”

“I kissed her and she turned me away.”

What?” Clark froze.

“That’s right. She said she loved you. Not me. You!”

“What were you doing kissing Lois? What are you doing visiting her so much? That wasn’t part of the deal.”

“I was just checking up on her. Making sure she was safe,” Superman rationalized.

Laying on the sarcasm, Clark responded, “I don’t think kissing her falls under that category. You got the super powers.”

“Figure it out. We came from the same person. Don’t you think I love her too?”

Clark stepped towards his double. “You think you’re the only one having problems? Try living without your powers. You think that’s easy? Every day is like a minefield trying to avoid pain. Even little stuff like cooking and shaving are a challenge. And this.” He held up his bandaged hand.

“At least you have Lois. And Perry, and Jimmy.” Superman pointed out.

“Hey – you’re the one who’s been having dinner with Mom and Dad every night. I have no idea when I’ll get to see them again face to face. I don’t even have a car. And you’re out in the world. You’re saving people’s lives. You’re doing something that really matters - every day.”

“It’s not the same and you know it. People don’t treat Superman like any other man. They have higher expectations. They expect more from him. I can’t make mistakes. I can’t even appear to be human.”

“This is ridiculous. The whole reason I-“
We,” Superman insisted.

“-did this was to make life easier. So I can focus on my job and Lois, and you can focus on saving the world.”

“But I have feelings for her too!”

Growing more outraged, Clark retorted, “You got the super powers! Don’t you think I miss those? The only reason I would even consider giving that up was for her!”

“I know. Believe me, I know.”

“Don’t you think I miss being able to help people? It was awful to watch that guy being mugged and I couldn’t do anything. I hate knowing that I can’t protect Lois the way I used to.”

“I can protect her,” Superman reminded him.

“Yeah, by kissing her,” Clark sarcastically snapped.

Superman said, “You know, I could’ve pretended to be you. It would’ve been easy too. Do you know what it’s like to watch you two together? I’ve kissed her and now I can’t touch her? I can’t get close to her? It’s torture. I could’ve visited her as you – just to get the chance to be with her.”

“You wouldn’t.” A hint of a threat crept into Clark’s voice.

“I said I could’ve. I didn’t. And you’re kidding yourself if you think you’re in better shape than I am. I saw you yelling at that cab driver this morning. I’ve scanned drafts of your recent articles and they’re filled with errors. You’re only getting away with it because Lois and Perry are protecting you and making excuses for you.”

“And they’re not covering for you?” Clark shouted. “Perry’s on my case to spin your story to make you look good. And Lois is twisting my arm to get you to go to Star Labs.”

“Yeah? All I’m saying is that neither of us are looking so good.”

TBC