Typing the same word for the fifth time, he finally pushed away from his desk in frustration. Clark had been trying to concentrate on the article he was writing, but it was proving an almost impossible task. His mind kept going back to his conversation with Mayson two nights ago. They'd eaten dinner at a cafe not far from her place, and had planned to see what performance was the hottest theatrical release that week. However, Mayson had wanted to do something a bit different. Hell, Clark had been wanting to do the same thing for weeks. The only reason they hadn't engaged in a sexual relationship before now was because he was struggling with telling her about his secret identity. In light of what he'd learned, he was glad he hadn't told her.

He and Mayson had been on countless dates, spent hours talking. Yet, she'd never mentioned her distaste for the Man of Steel until the other night. Granted, he hadn't asked her about it either. If he was honest, he'd been a little afraid to. He was scared she'd feel exactly the way she did. She hadn't said she disliked Superman because he was alien, which would have really stung his ego. But thinking of him as a criminal was just as bad, if not worse. How did he handle this? Clark really liked Mayson. She was everything he could ask for, except for that one thing. How did he continue to date her knowing that she didn't like a huge part of who he was? Of course, she didn't know *he* was the criminal she wanted off the streets either. Would it make a difference if she knew? Would she... use that information against him? Surely not.

He sighed in frustration because he just didn't know. If he told her and she turned on him, that would be a bad thing. If he didn't tell her and kept seeing her, that would be just as bad. Every time he was with her, he'd feel conflicted. Part of him was ashamed of himself for having already slept with her without telling her who he really was. Another part of him felt angry. Well, angry was not exactly the right emotion. He was torn. He liked her and while he didn't exactly regret what they'd done, he wasn't sure he could do it again. Clark had learned a long time ago that in order to be happy, he had to be true to himself. It had taken him a long time to come to terms with his abilities. He was at a place he needed to be now and if he continued to see Mayson with this standing between them, he was afraid it would cause himself a bit of self doubt. He couldn't go there again.

Before he could come to any solid decisions, a call for help sent him toward the stairwell. He'd just have to deal with this later.

The man's hands shook as he tried to mix the ingredients in the beaker. He felt so old. How had he gotten himself into this mess?

"Do you have that formula ready?"

He looked up at the other doctor in the room with him. "Just give me a minute."

"Dammit, Sam, we should have been done with this by now."

"Don't you think I know that, Paul?" He pushed the glass container away from him, effectively sloshing the contents all over the counter. He had to get out of this. He had to tell someone.

Tell them what, Sam? he asked himself. Tell them you made a deal with the devil and now everyone you've ever cared about has suffered because of it?

Paul Lang stepped over to Sam's side. "You don't understand the seriousness of this situation, old man."

"I understand all too well," Sam thundered back, facing off with the other man. Paul was an imbecile. He shouldn't have a license to practice medicine. Hell, he probably didn't. Why Lex Luthor had sought him out to do research for him was beyond him.

He didn't understand, Paul thought. He couldn't. If this drug was not ready when Bill got there... He stared off with Sam for a minute before he turned and stomped back to his work station. He'd gone too far this time. He'd made one too many deals. Keeping up with all of the duplicity was getting confusing. One slip up and he was dead. But if he could just manage a few more days, he'd be on a plane to a new life where no one knew who he was. And hopefully where his past would never be able to find him again. Thank God Luthor was dead. If that man had learned what he'd done, Nigel would have cut him into a million pieces and fed him to the fishes. Of course, if Bill found out what he was doing...

Unable to stand another second, Sam strode across the room and into the small office. He slammed the door and rooted around in the desk for the bottle of liquor he kept there. He'd drown his troubled thoughts so he'd at least have a few blissful moments of respite. As he dropped down in the chair, images of happier times floated through his mind. "What have I done?" he asked himself again- the same question he asked hundreds of times a day.

In an office building in downtown Sydney, a team of lawyers greeted a man and his assistant as they entered the room.

"It's good to see you again, Alexander," one of the lawyers said to the balding man across from him.

"I can't say the same of you," he replied in a clipped tone that left little doubt he wanted to get right down to business.

"Yes, well..." The man sat down and pulled out a file. "We are ready to proceed if you can produce the proof your father required."

Alexander glanced at his assistant, who opened a briefcase and pulled out a stack of papers. "Marriage license, birth certificate, everything the old bastard wanted me to do."

"We were hoping to meet your wife," one of the others spoke up.

"She is a bit under the weather. Having our son took a lot out of her."

"He's over a year old."

"And she was extremely fragile." He pulled out another piece of paper. "I assure you she's being cared for."

The paper from Mrs. Luckaby's doctor was read over carefully. "I do hope she is well soon."

"Yes. Are we ready to sign all of the papers?"

"More than ready." A few very important papers were spread across the table and Alexander quickly penned his name to them all. "You will have the money in your account by day's end."

"Very good." Alexander stood as his assistant gathered up all the documents they needed and stuffed them into the briefcase.

"We are sorry about all of this," the man who was clearly the one in charge said.

"I'm sure." Alexander strode out of the room without another word. He and the older man with him stepped into the elevator and he released the breath he was holding. "I hope that old man turns over in his grave. All of his careful instructions, his idiotic demands, and for what? His *son* gets his damn money with a dead wife and a cloned son. Doesn't it make you all tingly inside?"

"It would warm my heart," the other man said in a deadpan tone. "If I had one."

Alexander grinned at him. "Yes, it probably would." They stepped out of the elevator and hurried to the waiting limo. "How is my first born?" he asked after pouring himself a glass of champagne.

"Blissfully unaware."

After drinking nearly half of the bubbly, he held the glass out to inspect it. "Wouldn't *Daddy* have a stroke if he knew that wimp didn't carry Luckaby blood either?"

"Good thing he's dead, or he would die if he knew his money had just been passed to a Luthor."

"Mother was a wild one, wasn't she?" He grinned evilly as he polished off the rest of his drink. "Ah, Nigel, I do regret not being able to play with Superman a bit before all of this unfortunate mess. He would have been wonderful entertainment."

"I do like the fact that he's not crimping our style though."

"Oh, a definite plus of being dead." Alexander, or Lex, pulled out a cigar and lit it with a deep drag. "So, tell me, have you found the good doctor yet?"

"No. And Dr. Lane has disappeared as well."

"No doubt Church had something to do with that."

"I'm sure."

"And Delconto? Did he buy my little swan dive into the streets of Metropolis?"

"Hook, line, and sinker."

Lex grinned even wider. He loved being able to fool people so easily. Granted, by killing himself off he'd cut one arm of his power and control. He'd planned to gain more power and wealth than any man alive by selling his research to the government. His son was thriving, growing as normally as any other child. Governments, agencies, and nearly anyone in between would pay any price for what he'd achieved. To be able to create people at will... Add the mind control drugs and the possibilities were limitless.

No matter. Lex, or Alexander Luckaby, had fulfilled his dead father's demands by having another son. The old man had left explicit instructions in his will that Alexander leave another heir before the rest of the Luckaby empire would be his. Not only that, he'd had to do so within a marriage. Hence, his marriage to Lois Lane. Lex had chosen her specifically, for not only his need for a wife, but his need to control her. That nosy bitch had involved herself in one too many of his affairs. It hadn't set well with him, so he made an example out of her, although she had no idea.

"How is my dear wife?" Framing her for his murder had been a stroke of genius, not to mention the satisfaction he got from knowing her imprisonment caused the mighty Perry White the worst heartache imaginable.

"Wasting away in an institution full of unfortunate souls like herself."

"And that insufferable brat?"

"Enjoying island life with his aunt. Should we continue to look for the baby girl?"

"Good riddance. If White wants her, or whoever he pawned her off on, then let them have her."

"Tell me, sir, if you can't follow through with your original plan, why do you keep the boy?"

"Just because Lex Luthor can't sell to the highest bidder, doesn't mean Alexander Luckaby can't. And knowing his mother's frantic is a bonus."

"I'm sure, but won't there be too many whistles going off if Alexander suddenly reappears?"

"Patience, my dear Nigel. Patience. That's why I'm keeping that brat. I'll enjoy a quiet existence somewhere... Asian, maybe. Then when that kid's made it to his fifth birthday, Bill Church will fall all over himself to get the files on his creation."

Nigel eyed him carefully before speaking again. "And by the time he figures out he's been duped..."

"I'll be off to some other luxury hideaway to bask in the irony of it all." He drew from his cigar, blowing out with a smile. "But before I can do any of that, I need that damn doctor. I want to be sure we have all of his research."

"And his total loyalty."

"Luthor style." They laughed at their sick joke as the limo continued to carry them through the streets of Sydney.

Mayson watched as Clark picked over his food. They'd had dinner at his place tonight because Clark had said he wasn't in the mood to go out. They'd ordered take-out and he'd opened a bottle of wine. Talk had revolved around his latest case for the first part of the meal, but now they were hardly speaking. They hadn't seen each other in nearly a week. Every time she called, he made an excuse not to see her. If she didn't know better, she'd think he was trying to...

"Clark, do you regret starting an intimate relationship?"

His head snapped up and he looked at her. How did he answer that? "No," he finally said. He didn't regret it. He'd wanted to make love with Mayson and it had been a wonderful experience. Not exactly what he needed it to be, but it had still been very nice. He lowered his eyes back to his plate.

"Is something wrong with Perry?"

"No." This time he smiled when he looked at her. He loved that little girl. Talking about her always brought a smile to his face. "Perry's great. In fact, I think I'm going to bring her out next week. I miss her."

"You're going to keep her all week?"

"Yeah." He stood and picked up his plate to carry it to the sink. There was no sense to keep playing with his food. He wasn't hungry.

"Clark, we have reservations at LaBlanc next week?" They'd made plans weeks ago for him to join Mayson at some convention in France. It had something to do with one of her clients and she'd attended the last three years. She'd asked him along hoping to finally consummate their relationship while they were alone.

He sighed and turned to look at her with regretful eyes. "I'm sorry, Mayson, I forgot about that. I've already told Mom I could take Perry. She and Dad are planning to take a vacation- sort of a second honeymoon."

Mayson just stared at him in disbelief. They'd talked about this trip several times. He'd been looking forward to going, or so she thought. Surely, he would have known about a trip his parents were planning. He talked to them every single day. "I can't believe you're going to do this to me." She stood and jerked the plate off the table before stomping over and nearly slamming it into the sink.

"Mayson," he pleaded. He hated to see her upset. But he didn't want to go to France with her either. He wasn't even sure why he'd agreed in the first place. She'd just been so convincing. And he'd been... struggling with his attraction and desire. Now, though... He sighed again. He'd done that a lot tonight.

She was half way across the room before she whirled back around to face him, fire in her eyes. "Why don't you tell me what's really going on with you? You've avoided my calls, and when we have talked, you've barely said two words. When I saw you at the Planet earlier in the week, you'd looked as if you hadn't wanted to see me at all. And don't get me started on the reception I got earlier." She'd leaned in to kiss him and he'd turned his head at the last second so she'd kiss his cheek.

Clark looked away from her. He'd thought about her attitude toward Superman nearly nonstop for the last week. He'd finally decided that he really liked Mayson. She was a great person and fun to be around. He wasn't ready to give that up. But when he'd seen her, something ugly within him reared its head. How could he keep seeing her if she didn't like him?

Then again, how could he blame her if he wasn't completely honest with her either? No matter what decision he made, it probably wouldn't be the right one.

"I... have been having trouble at work," he lied. He just couldn't do this. Not tonight. He was tired of being alone and seeing Mayson was what he wanted.

For now.

"That's no excuse for how you've been treating me," she told him.

"No, it's not." He forced himself to approach her. He reached out to rub her upper arms briskly. "I'm sorry." This was more difficult than he thought.

"Yeah, well..." And before she could say anything else, he kissed her.

This will help, he thought as he worked his mouth over hers. She was still the same woman he'd come to like. She couldn't help how she felt. And if it wasn't for his incessant need to be two people, she wouldn't feel that way to start with. For the first time in a long time, he cursed his other side. When Mayson groaned, he began to chant: shut up and enjoy yourself.

She drew away from him. "Do you want to...?" He nodded. "I have protection in my bag."

He couldn't help but smile. Mayson was obsessive about almost everything, including their need for protection. "Did you bring all six boxes?"

"No," she replied with a chuckle. "Just a big one."

Clark smoothed his hands up her back, his right hand gripping her neck so he could pull her back in for another kiss. It's not right, his conscience yelled at him. This doesn't feel right. But he kicked those thoughts to the back of his mind as he walked Mayson backward toward his bedroom. When Mayson's hands began to roam, rational thought fled in a rush. He was ready, willing, and able and he was going to take advantage of the fact that she was, too. They'd talk about everything else later. Much later.

Mayson was the one who tore her mouth from his a moment later. "Clark, don't you hear your phone ringing?"

"Huh?" He'd almost made it to the point of no return and it took him a second to clear the cobwebs from his head.

"Phone."

Just then his machine kicked on. "Yoa, CK, get your butt to the Planet. We think we've found Collin."

Clark's eyes cleared in a split second as he jerked up the receiver on the nightstand. "What?" he wanted to know, skipping all pretense with the young man on the other end.

"Yeah, man, this investigator waltzed in a little while ago and tells Perry he thinks he knows where Collin is. Has some pictures he took yesterday."

"I'll be there in a ten." More like two, but he couldn't tell him that. And he couldn't get there that quick without causing suspicion. He dropped the phone back down and looked up at Mayson with an apologetic expression. "Sorry. I have to go."

"I'll come with you." He nodded and they hurried into the other room. But before they made it to the door, her phone rang. "Sorry," she said as she answered. "Yeah, yeah. I know. I'll be there."

"Your turn to be sorry," he deduced as he slipped his jacket on.

"Call me later?"

"Yeah." He smiled at her, then kissed her quickly before they left. She went toward her office and he headed into the alley to fly to the Planet.

Clark ran through the door of the stairwell and straight to Perry's office. It was after nine and the newsroom was nearly empty. Perry, Jack, Jimmy and a man Clark had never seen were all in the editor's office.

"Clark, this is Dan Scardino. He's a private investigator. The Center contacted him to help with the search and I believe he's found our boy." Perry held out the photos he'd been looking at.

The image showed a little boy on a beach. The child looked a lot like Perry. "Are you sure this is him?" Clark wanted to know as he looked up at Dan.

"Pretty sure."

"Where is this?"

"An island town in Spain. I followed a hunch and well..." The man grinned, a crooked expression Clark was sure he was proud of. More precisely, he was proud of himself for doing something no one else had been able to do.

"What made you look there?"

"Get this, CK, he's at his grandfather's place," Jack spoke up.

"What?" His eyes snapped over to the other man.

"The house on that island belongs to Sam Lane," Jimmy explained. "He bought it because of the frequent trips to see family." When Clark's brows rose, he went on. "Ellen Lane was actually born Ella Delconto."

"Whoa!" Clark held up his hand to stop him. "She was born who?"

"Delconto, as in Juan Delconto, as in..."

"The Delconto Organization?" he asked, stunned beyond belief.

"That's the one," Jack said with a wide grin. He sat on the edge of Perry's desk and crossed his arms. He'd been the one to find out that little gem earlier today, by accident. "I was cleaning out some old files on Perry's computer, only it wasn't Perry's computer." He pointed to the machine he was talking about. There was another computer on the small table behind Perry's desk. "It was Lois' computer. Perry wanted some information she had on there about a stock trading scam she was covering right before she quit. Anyway..." He quickly moved on because he knew talking about Lois was a very sore spot with the boss. "I came across some personal files. One was some information about her mother- mostly estate type stuff. That's when I found that Ellen's estate had never been settled because Ellen Dyson had never filed her legal name change in New Troy."

"Damn," Clark mumbled as he dropped to the chair behind him. What did it all mean?

"So, do you want me to fly back over and get him?" Dan wanted to know. "With an international custody order I can bring him back as a representative for the Center."

"I think I'll go out myself," Clark said as he stood back up.

"I'll book you a flight," Perry said as he picked up the phone.

"Don't bother. I have a friend that owes me a favor," Clark said as he started toward the door. "Told me if I ever needed anything... I'll get him to fly me over."

"Don't forget to take your papers. And when you get there, I'll have contacted the Center's rep." By Center, they meant the Center for Missing Children. Over six months into this case, the agency was still pouring resources into their search for Collin Lane.

"Got it." He stopped and stepped back over to Dan. "Thank you," he told him and extended his hand.

"You're welcome," Dan answered and shook the offered limb.

"Good luck, CK," called Jimmy.

Clark had to wave because he was half way to the stairwell. Suddenly he couldn't get out of the building fast enough. He spun into his suit on the way up and zipped by his place to leave the photos he was still holding. He'd imprinted the image of the little boy in his mind and wouldn't quickly forget what he looked like. In less time than it would have taken to book a flight, Clark was hovering over the house in the background of the photographs. The address had been written on back of one, so he was able to find it easily enough. A quick scan allowed him to see that there was no one there. It was quite early in the morning in Spain, so a baby should be sleeping. Only the beds in the small bungalow were empty.

He landed just outside the back entrance, the one near the ocean, and checked the door. It was unlocked. He went in to find that whoever had been there had left in a hurry. A hurried effort to pack had been made, but many things had been left. The small clothes on the floor and bed were proof that a baby had indeed been in this house. If the color was any judge, the child was also a boy. He was so frustrated he wanted to yell. They'd been so close.

He searched through the house for anything that might tell him where they'd taken the boy. When he found nothing, he picked up a small football. Tiny teeth prints marred the end, testament that Collin was teething. Perry was, too. She was cutting hers on a doll's hand. He couldn't help but smile.

Then he felt like crying. It was as if his baby boy was missing. He couldn't stop the snort of incredulity. Collin *was* his son- legally anyway. Would they ever find him?

A final glance, then he tucked the football into a bag he found in the bottom of the closet. He picked up all the baby items he could find- not sure why he felt he should take them- before he left. He'd return tomorrow morning as Clark so he and the rep could call the local police. There would be an official investigation.

And there was going to be an unofficial investigation, too. He didn't care what Perry said or what Lois wanted. He was going to resurrect his research.

He was also going to find that little boy.

Perry held his head in his hands, something he did a lot of these days. Clark had just returned from his trip to Spain. Collin had been gone by the time he got there. That meant someone, somewhere had warned them. But who? They wouldn't find out unless he reopened the investigation, but that wasn't going to happen.

"How will she know we're back at it?" Jack wanted to know.

"I'll know," Perry said as he looked up at the young men across from him.

"Perry, surely you see the importance of us finding out..."

"I know, Jimmy! How well I know." Perry stood and walked around behind his chair, more frustrated than he'd ever been in his life. "Lois is terrified they'll kill Collin." She'd finally agreed to talk to him on the phone today, and she'd pleaded with him to just stay out of it. She'd even asked him to stop looking for Collin. That's where he drew the line. He told her that the only way he'd back down was over his dead body. She'd held the phone in silence for a while, then told him as sternly as she could to drop it. Her attitude had actually made him mad. Didn't that girl know he was only trying to help her? Didn't she know that if they could find out what was going on, they could stop whoever was still controlling Lex's interests?

"How will they know we've done a little research on the computers?" Clark wanted to know.

"How did they know Dan was in Spain and that they needed to get him out of there?"

Clark sighed and looked away. Perry had a point.

"All the more reason to look into this dang thing," Jack spoke up. "Somebody's jumping the fence and we need to know who."

Perry turned and looked out of the window, watching the hustle and bustle of daily life in the city. At one time he'd loved this place. Lately, he was contemplating retiring to his lake home. He was too damn old for this kind of stress. "Just let it go," he said, a note of finality in his voice.

Jack threw up his hands in disbelief just before he left the room. He was disgusted with his boss. There was something to be found, if they could just look.

Jimmy shook his head sadly and followed the other man out.

"Maybe I could try to talk to her," Clark suggested.

"Give her time, Clark. She talked to me today when she's adamantly refused until now. Something's changing. She'll break before long."

"Do we have time to wait?" When Perry didn't answer, Clark sighed and left him standing at the window. Would Perry ever recover from any of this?