Chapter 2 Separate by Joan Powers/scifiJoan

Clark paused after leaving the elevator at the Daily Planet, hearing Lois laughing. A handsome blonde man clad in a well cut charcoal grey suit was leaning over her desk. He paused, pretending to examine his notepad. Clark’s supersensitive hearing allowed him to eavesdrop.

“You’re as beautiful as you are talented.”

Lois wasn’t going to fall for that line – was she?

Her broad smile showed that she was.

“Why…thank you, Dennis.”

Dennis?

Clark thought he was going to be sick.

“Your investigations make our job at the DA’s office so much easier.”

“Just doing my job.” She smiled.

“And you do it so well.”

Couldn’t Lois see through this guy? Why was she falling for his obvious flattery?

“Maybe I could take you to dinner sometime and you could tell me about your latest investigations?”

His intimate tone was sickening. But surely Lois would put him in his place. She already had a boyfriend.

His heart sunk when she replied, “I don’t share my stories until they’re published. But dinner sometime might be nice.”

Did Lois have so little faith in him that she was considering dates with other men? His anxiety level rose.

Clark hung back until the elevator doors had closed behind the blonde man. Then he approached Lois’ desk.

“Where have you been?” she asked, barely looking away from her computer screen.

“Nailing the details on the Shandy Summers’ story for our exclusive article,” Clark said, tossing his notepad over to her.

“How could you leave me alone with that crone?”

“You know how it goes, Lois. You’ve got to go with the story.”

“I guess.” Scanning his notes, she commented, “I see Superman recognized that cryptic ‘red’ comment as the COKE billboard on Route 5.” Shaking her head, she said, “I didn’t see that.”

“Neither did I. I’m sure Superman has an advantage with seeing the world from a different vantage point.”

“Right.”

Clark hovered nearby, trying to discern Lois’ mood as she scanned his notes. Was she mad at him as the psychic had implied? Or had she believed his excuse that he’d relayed the information to the police and then run with the story? In a sense, that was what he’d done.

Was she expecting an apology since he hadn’t returned to the shop?

Was she actually interested in Dennis? Should he bring it up? But then he’d have to admit he was spying on her and she wouldn’t care for that. He might come off as insecure or controlling, and that wouldn’t be favorable either.

How could he make things right?

“Lois?”

She glanced up from her reading. “Yeah?”

Pouring on the charm, he asked, “Wanna have dinner tonight?”

He wouldn’t give Dennis a chance to put his foot in the door.

Her reply was cool. “I don’t know. Think you can manage to stick around? Or even be on time?”

He deserved that.

“Lois…”

“Seven o’clock at my place. Don’t be late.”

Sensing she needed more from him, he said, “About today…”

She put the notes down, finally giving him her full attention. “Yes, about today.”

“I..”

The sounds of gunfire reached his ears, only.

Lois was looking at him expectantly.

“I…just remembered, I need to go… to a dentist appointment. Can you finish working up my notes?”

Disappointed, she answered, “Sure.”

XXXXXXXX

Superman struggled with his feelings and thoughts as he flew back from South America. After handling the armored car robbery, he’d learned of massive flooding in Brazil so he’d taken off immediately to lend assistance. He’d been so distracted by his concerns about Lois that he’d flown right past the flooded area all the way to Argentina, losing valuable time.

He had to resolve this. His lack of concentration was affecting his performance. And Lois would understand. Being a reporter, she was well acquainted with the demands of the job. No one in the newspaper business could expect a predictable schedule. Look how long it had actually taken them to go on their first date, having to miss the Pearl Jam concert for a stake out.

Who was he kidding? There was far more to it than that and he knew it.

He wished he could tell her the truth. But Clark had learned long ago while covering his emerging superpowers that excuses needed to be simple. If he’d claimed all of his absences were related to stories, Lois and certainly Perry would hold him accountable for solid details. Details he couldn’t necessarily produce. It also took time to produce credible excuses; precious seconds that he just didn’t have. As stupid as haircuts, dental appointments, cheese of the month and returning videos sounded, ultimately those types of trivial excuses caused fewer repercussions.

Until now.

He was already on thin ice with Lois after leaving her at the restaurant last week. And leaving her apartment unexpectedly last night had only made it worse. Had she realized he’d already done it to her twice - today? After she’d issued her ultimatum?

If she had, he could argue that it wasn’t date related. Surely that didn’t count. Surely she would understand that.

One thing Clark was certain of, Lois’ words weren’t to be taken lightly. She’d meant what she said. Although it had never been his intention, he’d hurt her. He didn’t blame her for being upset.

How could he make things right?

How long could he keep this up?

Less than twelve hours had passed since she’d issued her ultimatum and he was already feeling the strain. Maybe he could cover one or two calls a day without her noticing? His super speed worked well in that respect. Yet most times he had no idea what he was in for when he showed up to assist. Sometimes it could take minutes. Other times hours. Some days Superman was needed more than six to eight times in less than twenty-four hours. And he never knew when it would occur. There was no time clock, he was always on. He could never guarantee that a distress call wouldn’t coincide with time with Lois.

And the next one that did would destroy his relationship with her.

Do you really think things are going to change?

Could he do what his mother suggested?

Was it the only way?

He loved Lois. No doubts there. He wanted to tell her. But he couldn’t. It was too soon. He needed more time. They’d only been officially dating for a week.

XXXXX

Lois scrutinized the black dress she held on the hanger before her. Was it too much? When she and Clark had spoken about dinner, they hadn’t been specific about their plans. Still, it was early in the relationship, so she should make the effort to select a sexy dress.

She hoped that Clark would make the effort as well. He confused her. Every time she felt they were getting closer, the lame excuses or outright disappearances occurred. Even today he’d bolted from the psychic’s store and later dashed off to his dental appointment. She felt badly that she wasn’t sure if she believed him anymore.

Would he stand her up tonight?

Or once again disappear from the restaurant just before the main course was served? She wouldn’t tolerate that humiliation again.

Could she count on Clark?

His evasions threatened to erode her self-confidence. Did Clark still find her attractive? While she hadn’t been seriously interested in Dennis, the attractive DA’s assistant who had shamelessly flirted with her that afternoon, it had felt good to be flattered and admired. To have a man’s undivided attention. If she were to have dinner with him, she’d definitely be the main event.

Yet…it wasn’t that simple.

Her feelings for Clark had gradually blossomed over time. Initially, she’d ignored him, the starry-eyed innocent from Kansas, or used him when convenient. But he’d proven himself to be much sharper than she’d expected. She’d even learned a thing or two about reporting from him, though she hated to admit it. Even when he had the audacity to disagree with her, it was usually for a valid reason. She’d grown to appreciate his wit, his keen instincts, his optimistic attitude and overall belief in society as a whole.

While it might be easier to date another man, he would never be Clark.

XXXXXX

As Superman arrived in Metropolis, he was relieved to discover it was only six forty-five. He would even have time to shower.

Help!

So much for that.

He honed in on a car accident. A woman was trapped in the passenger seat of the vehicle while her husband frantically tried to reach her. Superman ripped off the door to remove her.

“Superman!” Her grateful husband responded. “How can we thank you?”

“Not necessary. Just doing my job.”

He checked a nearby clock. Six fifty-five. He’d better get moving. He couldn’t be late.

“Um Superman, she’s bleeding pretty badly.”

“The ambulance will be here soon,” he assured them, while mentally plotting the shortest route to Lois’ apartment. About to leave, he felt a tug on his cape.

“Please! Can’t you take her to the hospital?” the man begged.

Blood was starting to gush from the woman’s wounded arm.

Ashamed, Superman immediately agreed.

XXXXXXX

“You’re late.” Lois sternly greeted Clark from the doorway of her apartment.

“My watch says seven on the dot. Yours must be fast,” Clark claimed with mock confidence, heart hammering in his chest. He hoped he didn’t smell from his exertions.

Lois’ expression confirmed that he did.

“I suppose I’ll let you in.”

“Can I use your bathroom?” he asked.
Before she could respond, he’d crossed the room. Once in the bathroom, he used his super speed to clean up.

As the two left the apartment, Lois wondered why he suddenly smelled like her shampoo.

XXXXXXXXX

“What’s wrong?” Lois asked Clark. They were seated outside at an Italian café, having dinner.

“Nothing.”

He was having trouble concentrating. He was terrified that he’d be called away. What would he do? There was no way he could leave and make the relationship work. He couldn’t lose Lois. And the thought of ignoring someone in trouble made him equally sick. His plate of pasta remained half full.

Maybe he wouldn’t go into her apartment afterwards, even though he really wanted to. Why tempt fate?

“Is your pasta okay?” She asked.

“It’s fine.”

“You just seem…distracted. Do you have somewhere else you have to be?”

He was already losing ground with her. The hurt in her eyes. Something had to change or he was going to lose her. Forever. He couldn’t face that. To see her at work every day and know he could never have her.

Or to see her with another man?

The sickening memory of Dennis flirting with her came to mind.

Lois could easily replace Clark.

No!

It’s not hard, you know. To separate.
There are…issues. Certain…sacrifices. But it can be done.

He couldn’t continue to live like this.

He couldn’t lose her.

Whatever the sacrifices were, it would be worth it.

More calm than he’d been all day, he replied, “No Lois, there’s nowhere else I’d rather be than with you.” He grabbed her hand and squeezed it affectionately.

Her icy demeanor started to melt. “Good.”

XXXXX

The tinkle of chimes alerted the woman that someone had entered her shop. Without looking up she said, “I knew you’d be back.”

TBC