Sorry this part took so long. I've been a little under the weather. And I wasn't so sure anyone wanted another part. The last part didn't seem to have garnered very many readers.

Anyway... I must warn you, there is a section of this part most of you WILL NOT LIKE! Don't say I didn't warn. evil

But... (see, always a but) you have to make through the storm to be able to see the sunny skies again! laugh So...

Enjoy!

++++

Clark apologized to Mayson and she accepted. They made it the game together, then dinner again. A movie the week after that. They enjoyed each other's company and spent time together as often as they could. Superman had even left them alone, for the most part.

Work was relentless, but Clark handled it like a pro. His writing was first rate. What he didn't enjoy was watching Perry slowly go to pieces. The editor often came to work without shaving or even combing his hair. He didn't speak as much as he once did, and he rarely came out of his office. And he absolutely refused to talk about Lois Lane. The one thing he did without fail was his weekly plea on the early news show for the safe return of Collin Lane. He also joined Clark every other week to meet their rep with the National Center for Missing Children.

Jack and Jimmy began to shine as well. Jimmy's photography was beginning to draw attention. His work was featured regularly nationwide. Jack was often asked by various law enforcement agencies to handle delicate research for them. Clark also learned that Jack had a brother. Denny had just turned sixteen and started an internship at the Planet. He was the newest runner, which basically meant he was a glorified errand boy.

But what really brought out the best in Clark was fatherhood. It might have been forced upon him, but he had never done anything quite as satisfying. Perry was growing in leaps and bounds. She would turn one in less than a week and it was hard to tell who was more excited- Clark or his mother. The older Kents cherished their new role as grandparents. Perry was the light of their eyes and they lavished love on her as if she was their own. Of course, by now she was.

Inside the walls of the Metropolis Women's Prison, Lois Lane rarely moved from her bunk. She stared at the wall, unseeing and emotionless. She rose each morning to go to breakfast, worked her morning shift, went to lunch, worked her evening shift, went to dinner, then sat until time to sleep. But most of the time she simply lay awake staring at the ceiling. Thoughts of one day seeing her children again filled her mind. Other than that, it was hard to tell she was even alive. Lex Luthor had robbed her of everything.

Perry looked up when Clark pecked on his door.

"Chief?" he said tentatively as he stepped into the room.

"Yeah?"

"My folks are coming in this weekend for Perry's birthday. I was wondering if you'd join us for the party."

The old man stared at him for so long he was sure he'd say no. Finally he smiled, the first one Clark had seen in weeks. "I think that would be fun. I'd love to see that little beauty."

Clark returned his smile, letting go of the breath he'd been holding. "Good. Friday night at seven."

"Your place?"

"Yeah. And bring your appetite." He was about to leave, but turned back again. "Bring Alice, too."

A shadow passed over Perry's face. "She might not be able to make it." He leaned back and sighed heavily. "She and I have been... taking a break."

"What?" Clark went back and sat down in one of the chairs.

"Guess I haven't exactly been myself." He made a sour expression. "Can't say I blame her. I've let this thing with Lois eat me up."

"Maybe it's time to accept that she really doesn't want help," Clark ventured. Lois had refused to see anyone, even Mayson. She'd refused letters as well. She had sent one to Perry, telling him that she'd accepted her fate and that it was time for all of them to move on. She'd expressed her gratitude to them for making sure Perry was cared for. And her final request was that if they ever did find Collin, to kiss him and tell both her children how much their mother loved them.

"I think maybe it is," Perry said after a moment. He stood and walked around to lean on the front of his desk. "What can I bring along to this shindig?"

"Just yourself, and Alice if you can get her to come." Clark had only met Mrs. White once, but he'd liked her immediately. She reminded him of his own mother. "Maybe you could ask her to come as a date. Take her for a walk after or maybe for coffee. Romance her again."

"I think you might have something there, son. I think I will ask her."

Clark stood up with a wide smile on his face. It was so good to see the shadows behind Perry's eyes lift, if only for a second.

"Speaking of romance," Perry said as he walked with Clark to the door. "How's it going with Mayson?"

The younger man knew better than to ask how Perry knew he was seeing Mayson. It wasn't a secret, but they hadn't advertised it either. Perry just seemed to know everything. "We're getting to know one another slowly."

"Good idea. Just don't take too long. Life's short and things tend to get away from you."

A reference to the many changes Perry had seen over the last few years. "I know, Chief."

The editor clapped his top reporter's shoulder as Clark stepped through the door. "Now go get me something for the evening edition, would you?"

"No problem." Clark went back to work with a little more optimism than he'd had that morning. Maybe there was hope Perry would come around after all.

"This looks great, Mom," Clark remarked of the spread she'd put out for Perry's birthday party. The counter was covered in food- burgers and dogs Jonathan had grilled on the balcony. It was cold out, but they'd opted for the traditional summer fair anyway. Streamers and balloons were everywhere and the cake was tucked next to the stove, still covered.

"Make sure we have enough ice," she told him. "And make sure there's enough beer and soda."

"Mom, we have enough for an army," Clark assured her as he checked the supply for the third time. He couldn't ever remember his mother being so wound up about something. They'd briefly discussed having the party on the farm because of the risk to Perry, but in the end decided that they really wanted to share this special day with their friends. After all, they wouldn't have Perry without the others.

A few minutes later Jack and Jimmy arrived together, along with Denny.

"Man, CK, your mom knows how to put out the pig," Jack remarked. "I haven't seen this much food since Thanksgiving at the shelter."

Clark and Jimmy laughed at the other man. Jack and Denny had been homeless for a while right after their parents died. They'd often gone without enough to eat and it still amazed them when there was more than enough to go around.

"Hey, Clark," Denny asked softly. The boy was painfully shy. "Can we really eat as much as we want?"

"Yes, you can, young man," Jonathan answered for his son. He stuck out his hand to greet the boy. "I'm Clark's dad, Jonathan."

"Denny," the boy replied as he shook hands with him. "Think it would be okay to get a drink?"

"Absolutely." Jonathan motioned for the boy to follow him into the kitchen.

"Don't be a nuisance," Jack warned him.

"He's at home," the older Kent informed him. That made Denny smile brightly.

"So where's the birthday girl?" Jimmy wanted to know. He hadn't seen the baby since the day they took her from the park. Clark had tons of pictures, but it wasn't the same.

"Good question." Clark went in search of his little girl. She was sitting in the clothes basket at the end of his bed, all of his clean socks lying on the floor. She looked up at him and grinned, those bottom teeth shining brightly. "Hey you." He bent to lift her out and carried her to the living room.

"Wow! What a knock-out," Jimmy exclaimed. He grabbed her little hand and shook it. She pulled away and fell over on Clark's shoulder. "Aww, she's adorable, CK."

"I still say she could pass for your real kid," Jack told them as he peered at her over Clark's shoulder. "Maybe you've fed her too long."

"What?" Clark said with a snort of laughter. Jack said some of the craziest things.

"Mom always said that if you feed a kid too long she'll start to look like you." He flopped down on the sofa and propped his feet on the coffee table.

"Jack, you are so full of..."

"Watch your mouth!" Martha scolded before Jimmy uttered the dirty word.

"Yes, ma'am." He went over and held out his hand. "I'm Jimmy Olsen. We've talked on the phone."

"I know who you are, honey." And she ignored his hand to hug him instead, pleasantly surprising him.

"Hey, CK, I love your mom," he said without releasing her.

She laughed as she leaned back to look at him. "You sure are a handsome fellow."

"Oh, yeah, CK," Jimmy said as he turned and threw his arm over her shoulder. "I love her."

Clark laughed as he rubbed Perry's back. After a few minutes she decided she wasn't shy anymore. When she wriggled to get down, Clark bent and set her on her feet. She'd learned to waddle quite well lately and was off in search of something new to discover.

"I swear, Clark, you were born to be a daddy," Jack remarked as he watched the other man.

"You'll be a great one someday, too."

"Whatever," Jack nearly laughed out and sat up to get a better look at the little girl who felt he was interesting. "Jimmy's right," he whispered to the baby. "You're a gorgeous baby." Her hair was curly and unruly and she had the biggest, dark eyes. Dimples covered her cheeks and plump, red lips looked puckered all the time. She and Jack played the staring game for several moments before she decided he was okay and smiled at him. "Oh wow! She smiled at me!"

Clark laughed at his enthusiasm as he went to answer another knock at the door. Mayson grinned at him from the other side. "Hey you," he told her and held out his hand.

She took it and stepped inside. "I was worried about what to wear."

He glanced at her, an appreciative glow in his eyes. She was wearing jeans and a form fitting sweater under her brown, leather jacket. "I like this," he told her softly. She shrugged out of her coat and he hung it up, then pointed to the table near the closet where the gifts were. "You didn't have to bring anything."

"Why didn't you tell us that?" Jack wanted to know. He was still playing the 'stare and smile' game with Perry.

Clark continued to hold Mayson's hand as they stepped down into the living room. "Mayson, this is Perry," he said as he bent and ruffled the baby's hair with his free hand.

Mayson pulled her hand from Clark's and bent to get a better look. "You're just too cute," she told the baby.

Perry looked up at her, trying to decide if she was okay, too. When she couldn't make up her mind, she went back to her game with Jack.

"A little shy, huh?" Mayson asked as she stood up.

"Yeah. Mom says she's getting better though." He tilted his head toward the kitchen and the woman followed him. "Mom, this is Mayson. Mayson Drake, Martha Kent."

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Kent," Mayson said as she extended her hand.

"Where we're from, we hug," Martha explained and promptly did so. The younger woman was as surprised as Jimmy had been.

"Well," Mayson said as she looked at Martha. "I think I like that," she managed so softly she could barely be heard.

Clark glanced from her to his mother, a smile on his face. He placed an arm around Mayson's shoulder and pulled her close to his side. Jonathan walked over with Denny.

"I like this kid," Jonathan remarked as he approached the others.

"Dad, this is..."

"Mayson," he finished for his son. "You're as pretty as Clark said you were." He, too, leaned forward for a hug.

"Thank you, Mr. Kent."

"Jonathan and this is Martha."

"I'll remember that."

"How about something to drink?" Jonathan asked her.

"I'll get her something," Denny offered and ran back over to the cooler. He'd been denied his childhood so long, it was hard to believe he was as old as he was.

"What do you have?" Mayson wanted to know.

"Soda, water, tea, and beer," Martha answered as she set out the plates.

"A beer would be good."

Denny was about to reach into the cooler, but stopped. "Jack, am I allowed to get that?"

"Ah, well, maybe I should," Jack told him as he got up to go into the kitchen. "Might as well get one for myself," he mumbled as he reached into the ice.

There was another knock, then the door opened. "Let's get this party started," came Perry's booming voice.

Clark smiled widely as he looked around. Alice was with him. "I'm glad you both made it." He met them and hugged Alice closely.

"Strangest thing," Alice started. "I got a call today from a man who said he had seen me around and wanted to know if I'd like go on a date with him. Said he'd show me a real good time. Good food, a few laughs, and nightcap with a few friends. Said he'd even take me for a walk." She cut her eyes toward Perry. "I haven't walked in the city in a long time."

"Sounds like fun," Clark told her as he shot Perry a glance.

The older man's eyes had fallen on the baby while his wife was introduced to everyone.

"Hey, there, sweetie," Perry crooned to the curious baby as he bent to lift her up. The child stared at him warily. "I'm your Papa Perry. We have the same name." She glanced toward Clark, then stared back at the older Perry. "And you look so much like your mother." A lone tear rolled down the man's cheek just before he leaned forward to kiss her face. When she began to squirm, he placed her back on her feet. "Okay, I get it."

She ran toward Clark, seeking safety in his arms. "Hey, it's okay. Papa Perry is a great guy," he told her as he held her.

"Eat!" she said loudly.

Everyone laughed aloud.

"I second that," agreed Jack on his way to the kitchen.

Clark walked along with Mayson after the party. Perry had fallen asleep a short time ago, exhausted from the night's events. She'd screamed when Clark put her hand in her cake, after she'd stared at it for three full minutes. She'd torn open her gifts with gusto, laughing with each new discovery. She and Jack had played their game again. Denny gave her a piggyback ride. And she'd finally allowed Perry to hold her. It had been a great party with lots of laughter, something they'd all desperately needed.

Jonathan had found a new buddy in Denny and they'd made plans to go out to Hobs Bay the next day to go fishing. Denny had never been fishing. Martha and Alice were going shopping. Both couples were 'double dating' tomorrow night. Perry had left just before he and Mayson did for that walk with Alice. Superman had even managed to leave them alone tonight.

The only thing that unsettled Clark was Mayson. She seemed to have had a good time like everyone else, but Clark had spent a lot of time with her alone and he'd begun reading her moods. There was something... not quite right with her tonight.

"Mayson, does it bother you that I have Perry?" he asked. He'd noticed the way she looked at the little girl. As much as he enjoyed his time with Mayson, if she had a problem with Perry, then he had a problem with her.

The woman sighed and glanced up at her building. They'd managed to get all the way to her place on small talk. "Why don't you come up and I'll tell you what's on my mind?"

He, too, glanced at the building. He'd never gone up to her apartment at the end of the night. In fact, tonight was the first time she'd been to his place. They'd been taking things slowly, simply enjoying the building attraction. "Okay."

They stepped into her place a few minutes later. The living room was large and open. The kitchen was off to the side, part of the larger room. A door on the far wall was probably the opening to the bedroom. Clark ventured across the space and looked out of the tall, wide window. There was a huge balcony that stretched out in front.

"Nice," he said of the large outside area. There was a patio table and chairs, a grill, and a fireplace.

"Do you want something to drink?" Mayson kicked off her shoes on her way to the bar near the window.

"I think I'm good." He turned and went over to take a seat on the end of her loveseat.

She sighed before sitting opposite him. "You having Perry doesn't bother me."

"It just seems like it does. I saw the way you looked at her."

Mayson tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, deciding she could tell him the truth. "Clark, I lost a daughter three years ago."

His brows rose in surprise. "What?"

"She was three months old. Her digestive tract was enlarged and it became infected. The infection spread to her bloodstream." Mayson stared at a spot on the floor. "She went to sleep one night and didn't wake up again."

Clark closed his open mouth. He was stunned. As wonderful as Mayson was, maternal in any way was not part of her personality. "I, ah, I'm sorry," he said softly.

"If I look at Perry like..." She half smiled and looked around like she was lost. "... I'm studying her, it's because I'm trying to picture what my baby would have looked like if she'd lived to see her first birthday."

Clark stood and went over to kneel in front of her, taking one of her hands in his. "I'm glad you told me."

"If I look at you like I can't believe you're real, it's because I'm wondering how one man can be so much different than the next one."

"Did he leave you?"

"No. We fell apart when the depression consumed us both. I simply meant that in my line of work, I see all kinds." She leaned closer, their noses nearly touching. "You're just too good to be true."

Clark pressed his lips to hers in a brief touch. "I'm real," he assured her.

"I know." She was about to kiss him again when her television automatically turned on. He glanced over at it, a questioning look on his face. "Timer. I don't like coming home to a quiet apartment. And I'm usually not in this early."

"This early?" He glanced at his watch. "It's nearly midnight."

"What can I say? I'm a workaholic."

He grinned, then kissed her again before he stood up. "I'm going to say goodnight." He pulled her to her feet and toward the door. "Do you want to join me and Perry tomorrow for an outing at the zoo?"

"I would love to." She held his face with both hands so she could kiss him soundly.

"Wow," he said when she drew back. "Maybe you should tell me things about yourself more often." He clasped his hands behind her back, holding her close. "Do you mind me asking what your daughter's name was?"

"Her name was Grace."

"Very pretty." Just then her phone rang. He laughed softly before placing a quick kiss on her lips. "Tomorrow."

She nodded and watched him leave before grabbing her phone. "Hello?"

Clark shoved his hands into his pockets as he headed down the hall. He and Mayson had just turned a corner in their relationship. If he wasn't careful, they would be pretty serious before long.

Would that be so bad? She was a great person. Beautiful, intelligent, sexy, and best of all, she was attracted to him. There could probably be worse things than taking their relationship to the next level.

Before he could dwell on it any longer, Superman was beckoned. He sighed and took the stairs down and out the back. He had a full day planned tomorrow. Maybe the rescue wouldn't take too long.

Lois had nearly died the day her babies turned a year old. She'd received a card in the mail and for the first time, she'd opened it. Inside was a picture of a happy little girl. Her precious Perry was happy enough to smile. It was more than she could ask for. The older Perry had made sure she was in very good hands.

After crying herself to sleep, something changed for her. It seemed her mind cleared and acceptance took the place of the desolation. Resigning herself to her life now, Lois slowly became cold and bitter. Her raw edge was back, even rougher than it had ever been. She'd bite heads off for telling her good morning. And she managed to get herself into several fights. Solitary confinement wasn't the most pleasant experience, though every time she came away just a bit stronger than before. Deciding it was time to do more than just sit and stare, she began to go to the library. The online version of the Planet became her lifeline to the world.

And she found herself drawn to the articles Clark Kent wrote. He was good, she admitted after reading his tenth straight front page story. He wrote emotion into his work that she'd never been able to capture. Her writing had a bite to it, where as Clark's had feeling.

Later, when the professional admiration wore off, Lois found herself strangely attracted to Clark on a more personal level- something completely irrational considering where she was. The day she'd met him she'd been surprised by how she'd been affected by him. His dark eyes seemed to look straight into her very soul. And as much as she argued with herself that she should think about other things, time after time, her mind came right back to that man. It was crazy. She was in prison- would be for a decade of his life, and he was seeing her one time attorney, Mayson Drake- if the picture she'd seen on the society page was anything to go by. The couple had been captured dancing at some big party given by the mayor. After staring at the image of Clark and his blonde bombshell for nearly an hour, she decided that it was best to push insane notions from her head once and for all. It just wasn't so easy to do.

With thoughts of Clark came thoughts of her son. She'd agreed to give him custody. Why? She'd signed her son over to a perfect stranger. Why had he agreed to be guardian to a stranger's baby? Was he naturally trusting? Did he do things like that all the time? Why had Perry chosen that particular man? All questions she could have answered if she'd agree to have visitors. But she wouldn't do that. She didn't want to see reminders of what she'd so carelessly tossed away. She also felt the people who had once been part of her life should just move on.

Reading the Planet is also where she'd learned of an incredible phenomenon known as Superman. As the reclusive wife of Lex Luthor, she'd been denied access to television or live radio or any other form of news. So finding out about something so out of the world as Superman was quite a shock. A man could actually fly. The media, and the man himself, claimed that he was from another planet called Krypton. Lois had laughed so hard when she'd read that she was almost sent to the infirmary for medication because the guards thought she was losing her mind. Then she read more articles, saw pictures taken by Jimmy. She'd seen pictures of Perry shaking hands with Superman. There seemed to be tons of evidence that this was no joke. This man, this person actually existed. But was he really from another planet? Clark had written the official announcement to the world. Did he believe this was real? Did he believe Superman was from this place called Krypton?

When Lois wasn't reading or doing her assigned work detail, she spent countless hours working out. She'd decided that when she left this place, she'd leave stronger in mind and body.

But what was she going to do when she left? She'd given up her career and was unsure if she even wanted to go back to reporting. Calling herself good in her chosen profession was a joke. A decent reporter would have never been so easily taken in by another person. It didn't matter that it was a man who'd fooled her. She was embarrassed by the way Lex was able to take advantage of her. And she couldn't even claim she'd been blinded by love because she hadn't loved Lex at all. In the beginning, there had been a bit of attraction, but never anything stronger. It had been exciting to think she'd turned the head of one of the most eligible bachelors in the world. Now it was plain the only reason Lex had entertained her at all was because he needed somebody for whatever insane reason he'd used her for.

What exactly had he used her for? By his rantings she was sure one reason was to have his son. She'd overheard Lex and Nigel say something about inheriting an empire. What did that mean? Lex had already inherited his empire. His father was dead and had left everything to his only son. She'd also heard things about research and some doctor that Lex mentioned often. She'd seen the doctor and now that her mind was clear, she could remember him. She could also remember a lot of things, even if she wished she couldn't.

After deciding it was time to do something other than staring into space and feeling sorry for herself, time began to pass more quickly. Six months, six long months had come and gone as she remained a guest of the state. Six months of her children's lives that she'd lost. Six months- a mere few minutes in the unimaginable stretch that would rob her of her very essence.

The door slammed back against the wall of the darkened apartment as the couple stumbled inside. Clark lifted Mayson up and she wrapped her legs around his waist as he backed her against the wall. His lips left hers and seared a trail down her neck. He drew back to look at her, smiling as he did, then slipped his hands under her shirt to push it over her head. He couldn't help but appreciate her full bosom. She was larger than Lana and his fingers ached to touch her. Grasping her under the tops of her hips, he turned to carry her toward the bedroom.

"Lock... the door," she gasped between kisses to his neck and face.

He gazed around her head so he could click the lock before striding through the room. Mayson reached out blindly to open the bedroom door. Clark sat down on the bed holding her on his lap. His hands searched out new places while his lips plundered hers. He paused only long enough to look at her again before finally surrendering to the unbelievable sexual tension that had been brewing between them for the last few months.

Mayson returned from the bathroom to find Clark sitting up against the headboard laughing softly as he looked at the boxes in his hands. "What's so funny?" she asked as she climbed back on the bed and snuggled up beside him.

"Six different brands?" he asked her with a quirked brow.

"Well, I wasn't sure which one you'd like."

He chuckled as he tossed the items back on the nightstand. "I like the one that gets us down to business the quickest."

"Funny." She stretched slowly, relieving the tension in her muscles.

"At least I have proof now that you're obsessive." He reached out to smooth his hand over the leg she'd thrown over his.

"I'm not obsessive. I just like being prepared."

"Prepared is buying the box of condoms with twelve in it. Six different boxes of twelve is obsessive."

"So sue me." She leaned over to kiss him beneath his ear.

"Nah. I might want to try one of the other brands." He grunted when she nudged him in the side, laughing softly at her expression. Just then the television clicked on. "That could get annoying."

"Sorry." She reached over him to grab the remote to turn off the set, but stopped when she noticed the news was covering something about Superman.

'Superman was in Suicide Slum today and for a change, he wasn't responding to a shooting or some other gang related incident,' the newscaster was saying. 'He was in attendance at the brand new City of Joy- Metropolis' answer to the growing orphan population.'

As they watched, Superman cut the wide ribbon stretched across the gates. An entire block in a less then reputable section of the city had been transformed into a children's village.

"Can you believe that guy?"

"What?" Clark asked when Mayson spoke.

"He's the biggest criminal in the world, yet he expects the law to just treat him like he's some kind of savior."

Clark's brows rose nearly to his hair in surprise. She'd never said anything against Superman before. Well, she'd never said anything at all about him. But he was stunned she felt this way. "Ah, you don't like Superman?"

"Like him? I'd love to lock him up." Mayson pressed the button and the television screen went black.

Wow! She didn't just dislike Superman, she wanted him out of the skies. He shifted sideways so that he could look at her. And for the first time, he really looked. What else didn't he know about Mayson? He found out just a few months ago that she'd had a baby. He hadn't asked her anything else about her baby, and Mayson hadn't told him anything. Had she been married or just involved with someone? She wanted to arrest Superman, thought he was...

"Why do you think he's a criminal?"

"Clark, he's a vigilante!" She stared at him in disbelief. How could Clark not see Superman for what he really was?

"A vigilante?" He shifted again. "Because he helps stop crimes?"

Mayson shifted and sat up. "Because he takes it upon himself to interfere in police matters."

"Interfere? So the three hundred and sixty two drug dealers, rapists, murderers, thieves, child molesters, and various other criminals he's helped get off the streets should have been left to do as they pleased?"

It was Mayson's turn to quirk a brow at him. "Are you some kind of Superman groupie?"

"I write a lot of articles," he was quick to tell her. He had to calm down or he'd tell her a bit more than he wanted to.

"Sounds like you keep track of what he does." She threw her legs over the edge of the bed and stood up.

"I don't keep track." Clark pushed a hand through his hair, trying to relax a bit. He glanced at the nightstand, wandering if he should put his glasses back on. If she felt this way...

"I just think he should leave the law enforcement to the professionals." She was picking her clothes up, carefully folding the garments. When she'd gotten up earlier, she'd put on Clark's button up shirt.

"Every official I've ever talked to tells me they appreciate his help."

"I would, too, if someone was doing my job for me." When she'd run out of things to do, she faced him, leaning against the dresser. "He's a loose cannon."

"Loose cannon?"

"Yeah. One day he'll go too far."

Clark wanted to squirm under her scrutiny. He really didn't like the distaste he saw in her expression. "What do you think he'll do? Decide to be judge and jury and hurt someone?"

"Well, if he's inclined enough to help the way he does, he obviously has feelings. It's my experience that men tend to be pushed too far when they're angered."

"And you think he'll get mad enough one day to... snap someone in half?" Clark let out a snort of laughter. That was absurd. He'd been angry before, but he'd never thought of hurting anyone.

"Technically, he could." She ventured back over and sat down on the edge of the bed closest to him.

"Don't you think if he wanted to hurt someone he'd have done it already? He saves people's lives, Mayson." He shifted and dropped his feet to the floor.

"What happens when he responds one day to an accident and causes more damage than he offers help?"

Don't you think I've asked myself that a thousand times? he asked her mentally. That's why he'd taken dozens of classes. He was a certified paramedic. He'd been trained to handle explosives, earned his certificate to handle firearms, and even logged over twenty hours training with the fire department. The guys of the Sixth Street Station had taken dozens of pictures- it wasn't every day one trained Superman how to fight fires. He was registered to handle biohazardous material, knew how to evacuate an entire city, and he'd even taken the training for hostage negotiations. And at that moment, he'd love nothing more than to tell Mayson that he had also graduated the police academy. The city of Metropolis didn't think he was a liability- they'd given him a badge.

All of that was things he'd thought over very carefully before he'd decided to make his public debut. And within the first month, he had the permission of nearly every agency in the country to do what he did. But Clark couldn't very well tell Mayson that, not as Clark. If he went to her later as Superman, she'd know who he was. At the moment, he didn't think he wanted her to know. He'd entertained the idea of telling her several times before they'd become intimate. However, he was male. And being male, he had needs and desires. Those had swelled to uncontrollable lately. When she'd blatantly told him after dinner that she wanted him for desert, he'd been unable to find a single reason why she shouldn't have him.

She sighed and smoothed a hand across his back. "I guess I'm still learning things about you."

"What?" Her abrupt change of subject threw him.

"I didn't know you liked Superman so much."

Yeah, well, you don't know? I *am* Superman, he thought to himself. I kinda' need to like myself. But he chose instead, "He's a remarkable individual."

"I admit, the things he can do are incredible. I just don't like his reasons."

"Wanting to help is a bad thing?"

"No, not bad."

"Look deeper, Mayson." He couldn't stop himself. If she wanted to pass judgment on somebody, she needed to at least know them a bit better. "You call him a criminal. I happen to know he's done nothing illegal."

"Writing a few articles about him..."

"Articles that I had to do a ton of research to be able to write."

She held up her hands in mock surrender. "Sorry I brought it up."

Clark had to remind himself to take a deep breath to calm himself. "No," he managed. "I'm sorry I gave you such a hard time about it."

She smiled at him. "Why don't we talk about something else?" Kissing his neck, she said with a smile, "Or not?"

He forced a smile, easing into her touch. How could he possibly do anything more with her now after the things she'd revealed tonight? He almost shouted when his phone rang. "Sorry," he told her as he reached for his jeans. He dug the item out of his pocket and flipped it open gratefully. "Hello?"