Okay, I survived the thrashing so far... laugh This one is... well, it's... dizzy and maybe a little shock and like the rest of the story, a whole lot cat (Don't you just love these graemlins?!)

But I do hope you're still interested, still reading. Thanks for the support so far.

Enjoy!

++++

Mayson and Clark left the Hall of Justice over an hour after they'd gone in.

"It doesn't look good, does it?" Clark asked Mayson as they made their way down the steps and onto the sidewalk.

"Honestly?" she asked as they stopped at the crosswalk. When he gave her a 'tell me' look, she sighed. "Lois has no one to corroborate anything she's said. And we can't use the report about the drugs because there's no proof that she ever actually consumed any. She quit taking it when she first found them so there's probably nothing in her system. Our only witness to anything is Jack. And he can only say that Lois gave him the napkin with the drugs in it and that Lois appeared drugged. It's a drop in the bucket."

Clark scratched the back of his head. It looked as if Luthor had sealed Lois' fate, even from the grave.

"Tell me about the girl," Mayson spoke up.

"Not here," Clark said as he glanced around. "You should come to the Planet so Perry can help with the explanation."

She smiled. "I should have known Perry would have something to do with it. I swear that man has his hands in more things..."

"Yeah," Clark agreed with a chuckle. "Listen, I have to go. Work doesn't stop."

"No, unfortunately not." Mayson suddenly seemed a bit nervous. "I'll call Perry about sitting down for a rap session to discuss which direction we'll go in."

"I'll be there."

"And if I need you to run down anything..."

"Just call me. I'm on the directory."

She gave a slight nod, then dug around in her bag to pull out a card. "I'll write my cell down, in case I'm needed on the spur of the moment." She penned her number, then extended it to him.

He took it, another smile across his lips.

"Maybe... we could have a drink sometime?"

Clark stared at her for a moment. He knew he'd read the vibes coming off this woman correctly. She was interested in him on a more personal level. This was the last thing he needed right now. A relationship with the lawyer trying to help Lois could spell trouble. And they'd all have their hands full for a while. He didn't- they didn't- have time for this. Yet, the look in her eyes, her smile- Mayson was a pretty lady and he found himself attracted to her as well. Even if thoughts of Lois Lane kept nagging at him.

"Ah, maybe we could," he finally answered. He held up the card. "I'll call you."

"Do that." She smiled again and turned to leave.

He waited until she was in her car across the street before he left. A second later a familiar sonic bomb echoed through the air.

The actual investigation on Luthor had to be put on hold until after a defense strategy could be worked out. It was three days later when Mayson made it the Planet to sit down with Perry and Clark. The editor quickly set them up in the conference room and ordered Jack to brew them a fresh pot of coffee.

"Jack and Jimmy here..." Perry waved his hand at the two men. "... will be joining us. They've got a stake in all of this, too."

"That's fine. Lois pretty much gave me complete discretion with her case." Mayson took off her jacket and sat down. "Where's Clark?"

"Covering an accident on the Stafford Turnpike. He'll be here n a few minutes." Perry sat and rifled through a few files before he leaned back in his chair. "Any news on the boy?"

"I was hoping you'd heard something," Mayson answered. The police investigation was pretty much stalled. No police agency in the country wanted to touch the case until Perry started making threats about articles on cover-ups and police corruption. For the near month that the man had attained emergency custody, a nationwide dragnet had been cast to search for Collin Lane, as he was now known. Mayson had the change pushed through in less than twenty-four hours- a record in any jurisdiction. Even though Perry was being viewed as an idiot for taking on LexCorp, the fact that Collin was missing was now international news. The guys that knew guys that Perry knew were as varied as they were far reaching. Luthor's people couldn't take that child anywhere in the world without being found eventually. Yet, so far they were doing a pretty fair job keeping him hid.

"We've printed just under a million posters and nothing," the old man said in a defeated tone.

"We've searched every building, house, henhouse, doghouse, and outhouse from here to Florida," Jack spoke up. "You wouldn't believe the number of outhouses!" He snorted comically at his own joke as he prepared coffee for the others.

Mayson grinned as she glanced up at the young man. No doubt Perry actually had them search every one of those places.

"Shoot us straight, Mayson," Jimmy said as he sat down across the table. He'd met the lawyer before. "Lois is in trouble, isn't she?"

"Baring a miracle, yes." She watched as the life seemed to drain from Perry's face. He'd thought she could change the other woman's fate. Truth was Mayson wasn't sure anyone could help Lois now.

A knock resounded on the door a second before Clark stuck his head through. "Sorry I'm late," he said as he entered and closed them off again. "Mayson," he said courteously. She flashed him a brief smile in answer. "Looking any better?" he asked her. He took a seat and grabbed a cup to pour himself some of the coffee in the pot on the table.

"No," came her grave answer. "The best we can hope is an insanity plea with time in a hospital, not guilty on grounds of temporary insanity."

"And Lois is actually gonna let you use that?" Jimmy asked her.

"She doesn't have a choice. Unless you guys turn up something before the trial, we'll have to go with it." She shifted so she could look at Perry. "Lois told me something I didn't know." When Perry met her gaze, she went on. "She said she has a daughter."

Perry glanced at Clark, then back to Mayson. "What I'm about to say can't leave this room," he warned her. "And being as you're Lois' lawyer and we're discussing her case, I'll consider anything I say just as confidential as her legal strategy." He waited until she clasped her hands together across her lap, then leaned forward. "Legally, Lois doesn't have a daughter."

"I know. I checked."

He glanced at Clark again, silently asking him if it was okay to tell her everything. When he gave a nod, he scooted closer, as if someone might hear him. "The baby girl was born first, effectively thrust aside by Luthor. He didn't want her, so I imagine that's why there was nothing about her birth on the certificate."

"So, how did you find out?" She shook her head. "Scratch that. Just go on." She knew Perry way too well. He had a way of finding out things that should be classified by the government.

"No doubt he used the girl to help control Lois. Otherwise, he'd have probably just gotten rid of her." He scratched the back of his head. "Anyway, Jack here started going to the park a while back so that he could make sure Lois was okay."

"That's how he got the napkin with the drugs?"

"Yeah. She stopped going to the park for a while. Then one day she was back. Another note asked Jack to take a baby doll and leave it in the restroom close to where they always sat."

"And you exchanged the doll for the baby?" Mayson deduced.

"We thought it was the boy until we read the note she left with her."

"What did the note say?" She looked around at the others who were all listening patiently.

"It said the baby was in trouble. Protect her and that Lois called her Perry."

The woman couldn't help but smile. Obviously Lois thought a lot of the man in front of her. "Okay, so where is she now?"

"At my folks' place in Kansas," Clark spoke up. He sat up closer to Mayson as well. "But it's important that her real identity stays secret. For whatever reason Lois wanted this and we'll keep her as long as we need to."

"Your parents just took her in?"

He made a funny face. "Well... legally, they took in their granddaughter."

Mayson's eyes widened at that implication, then her head snapped around to Perry. "What did you do?"

"I called in a few favors. It's all on the up and up," he assured her.

"I'm sure it is." He was about to say something else, but she held up a hand to stop him. "I don't want to know." Facing Clark again, she asked, "And you just let him do this? Without really knowing Lois?"

"I've met her. I saw enough to know I've done the right thing." His voice was quite adamant. If Mayson wanted to argue about this, he'd give her a good one. "It doesn't matter why I did it. It's done. She's... mine and until Lois is out of this, she's got a safe, loving home."

The woman couldn't believe this man. Taking in a child that wasn't his, then agreeing to take another. All without even knowing the woman he was doing it for. Was he for real? Was it genuine? Or did he have a motive? What did he want for his part in this? As she looked at him she realized the answer. He wanted to help- plain and simple.

"All right then," Mayson said after a few minutes. "Let's get to work."

Clark exchanged a look with Perry before they settled in to see if they could find a way to get Lois out of the hole Luthor had cast her in.

Clark jogged down the hall toward the courtroom where Judge Burke would hear the review of Perry's emergency injunction. Mayson and Perry turned toward him and motioned for him to hurry up. They were sitting down a moment later. Judge Burke read through the file before lifting her eyes to the three people across from her.

"I have reviewed the recommendation from Mr. White for his choice of custodian of the minor child..." She read again. "Collin Jerome Lane. I wasn't sure why Ms. Lane changed his name, but that's her perogative. Ms. Drake has prepared a very thorough background of the candidate in question, Mr. Clark Kent. The social worker that made the home visit had a glowing review of you, young man," she said directly to Clark.

He gave her a slight smile and a nod.

"This is a highly unusual case. Even though I've been pressured by various organizations and individuals... And that's no admission of anything," she said to Mayson. "I stand by the decision I made to grant the emergency injunction. I have watched your plight to find the boy, Mr. White, and I want it put on record that I will do anything I can to assist in that search."

"Thank you, Your Honor," Perry told her.

"Whomever has taken Collin Lane is committing a crime because as of this moment..." She signed a piece of paper. "He is the legal child of Clark Kent."

Clark let out a deep breath. It felt almost like he'd gained custody of his own child.

"I've spoken to Ms. Lane and she assured me this is what she wants. I wish you luck, Mr. Kent. And I see no reason to review this case until Ms. Lane asks for a review." With a bang of the gavel, Clark's fate as single father to another child he didn't know was sealed.

Mayson stood and lifted the strap of her case over her shoulder. "I received a call this morning from a friend. He's also a former DEA agent. He's a private investigator now, very good at what he does. He's seen all the media attention surrounding Collin's abduction and wants to help."

Clark and Perry exchanged a glance. "We could use all the help we can get," Perry said.

"I'll tell him to get in touch with you at the Planet."

"Good." Perry looked at his watch. "I have a meeting with a source." He clapped Clark's shoulder. "I can't tell you how much what you're doing means to me, son."

"I have pretty good idea," Clark answered. And he did. He could see Perry's emotions on his face, in his mannerisms. It nearly killed him to have to watch the man crumbling, but lately that's what had been happening.

When Perry was gone, Mayson motioned toward the door. They started out, walking side by side. "I know things have been crazy, but I was wondering if you'd like to have that drink."

Clark looked up at her. "How about Friday? I'm flying out tonight to see Perry. I'll be gone until then."

"Oh, okay. Friday, at Mulligan's in the Bay?"

"That sounds great." He reached out to touch her arm. "Thanks for pushing things through so quickly."

"I just hope we can find the little fellow."

"Me, too. I have a meeting next week with the National Center for Missing Children. The director feels sure we can get this on the international watch list."

"Good. Let me know if you need anything."

"I will." He smiled and turned to leave.

Mayson watched him walk away. Kent had to be the most special man alive. And he was damn good-looking to boot. What more could she ask for?

Lois paced her tiny cell the way she always did. They'd put her alone because of who she was married to. Too many people disliked Luthor and several had already tried picking a fight with his widow. Though several had also thanked her.

"Good evening, Mrs. Luthor."

She whirled around when she heard that voice. "Nigel. What are you doing here?"

"Let's just say I'm protecting my interests."

"Your interests died on the pavement below the Tower."

He did something he rarely did- he smiled. "Ah, but working for Lex Luthor was an invaluable experience. He taught me well."

"You mean you learned how to stab people in the back like he did on a regular basis."

"Call it what you will." He shrugged as best he could with his hands clasped behind his back.

"Just cut to the chase, Nigel." She crossed her arms over her chest, daring him to do anything other than what she'd told him to do.

"We have your son."

Her arms slowly dropped and she stepped over to the bars. "Where is he?"

"Safe, for now."

"Don't you dare do anything to my baby," she whispered.

"Relax. He's important to a lot of people. And right now, so are you."

"What?"

"Is seems Mr. Luthor had incredible legal ties before his death."

"Well, now he doesn't," she snapped and turned to pace back toward her bunk.

"Those ties forced him to place an undisclosed amount of money in an offshore account..."

Lois turned back to look at him, a smile starting to stretch out across his face. "Seems my dear husband needs me even in death. Or should I say his Mr. Belvedere does?"

"I only want what's owed me," Nigel continued. He reached into his pocket and extracted a few papers. "Sign these and your darling son will remain healthy and happy."

"I need more insurance than your word."

"Then how about this? Don't sign them and he's dead by dawn."

Her horrified eyes searched his to see if he was telling the truth. "If he's so important, you can't afford to kill him," she ventured. What did she have to lose at this point?

Nigel studied her for a moment before he pulled a small, metal device from another pocket. He clicked the keys on the front, then held it up so she could see the screen.

"Collin," she breathed as she watched the little boy playing on the monitor. He was laughing at someone she couldn't see.

"Yes, little *Collin* is quite content with his new nanny."

As Lois continued to watch, the woman came into view. "Lucy?"

"Strange what kinds of incentives get a junkie to clean up her act." He turned the machine off and put it back in his pocket. "She calls him Collin, too." He shook the papers. "Sign them and she continues to care for him."

"You have to give me your word as an agent." Nigel had once been a spy and tended to be loyal to no end.

"You have my word."

She quickly penned her name to the papers and shoved them toward him. "That's not all, is it?"

"Perry White." Nigel stuffed the papers back into his jacket. "He's getting under too many people's skin. We need him to stop his investigation."

"I can't make Perry..."

"You can if you want him to live."

An involuntary gasp escaped before she could stop it.

"The people I'm employed by now have the power to strip him of his good name and discredit him in the world of journalism. Is that what you want?"

She looked away from him.

"Make him stop."

"What's in it for me besides his life?"

"Ten years on an insanity conviction. If he continues, recommendation for the death penalty."

"Lex has already taken my life," she spat at him.

Nigel stepped back and held out his hand. For the first time Lois saw another man that had been lurking in the shadows. He turned over the paper in his hand and started flipping through the pictures he held. "Look at them. The DA, the judge who'll hear your case, even prospective jurors have already been appropriated. Your conviction is already paid for. But you're right. Death would be too easy. Life in prison without the possibility of parole... well, that would be a fate worse than death. And to have to spend all of that time in solitary confinement, unable to have visitors except the guard that delivers your meals... It would be most unfortunate."

"Wasn't that the whole reason for this? Somebody uglier and more evil than Lex set this all up and you helped him."

The man behind Nigel took the pictures and handed him some more papers. "The agreement's drawn up. Think about it, Mrs. Luthor. Ten years and you're able to see your precious children again or look at your own cold image for the rest of your life."

"Perry wouldn't want me to sign it."

His fierce gaze held hers as he pulled out his phone and dialed a number. "Yes," he said when there was an answer on the other end. "Break his arm." He pulled the small monitor out of his pocket again and passed it to the man behind him who turned it on and held it up so Lois could see. She watched as a man approached her son sitting on the floor. He lifted him up, then flipped him upside down by his leg.

"No!" she yelled. "I'll do it. Just don't hurt him."

"Put him down," Nigel said into the phone and the crying, frightened baby was shoved toward his frantic aunt.

Lois' cold stare never wavered as she signed the forms and tossed them back. "I want him back when this is over."

"I assure you, Mrs. Luthor, you can have him back when this is over." He waited for the man to gather up the all of the papers, then disappeared as mysteriously as he'd appeared.

For the first time in a long time Lois didn't feel like pacing. She dropped to her bunk, completely defeated. That bastard had won. He'd won it all.

Clark laughed fully, his eyes dancing with joy. He felt good tonight- the first time in a long time.

"You have a gorgeous smile," Mayson admitted. His smile faltered a bit as he looked at her, the intensity of it causing her to blush. "Wow. I can't believe I said that out loud."

"Don't be." He reached out to squeeze her upper arm. They were sitting at the bar sharing that drink they'd set a date for. "I happen to think you have a great smile, too."

She blushed even more, then leaned up on the bar. "So, how are you adapting to single parenthood?"

"It's... different. Exhausting, exhilarating, and scary." He grinned, more to himself than to her. He'd spent the last two days with Perry and he'd had a blast. She was pulling up, laughing a lot, and babbling. "She took her first step yesterday."

"That's great," Mayson said with enthusiasm she wasn't sure she felt. While she was happy for him, it was something she couldn't understand. She had this... thing about kids.

"Doing... that," Clark tried to explain. "It's made me feel more... alive than I've felt in a long time."

"And all of that fathering the child of a woman you barely know."

"Strange, huh?" He took a sip from his beer. "I have no idea why I agreed to do any of this, but I'm glad I've done it now. I'll just be glad when we can bring her brother home with her."

"You really mean that, don't you?" she asked, her expression as disbelieving as she felt. Men just didn't do things Clark had done.

"Yeah. Want another drink? Or would you rather take a walk?"

"Let's walk." Mayson emptied her glass and followed Clark out into the cool night air.

They strolled along the riverfront for a while talking about their respective jobs, things they'd done in college, and places they'd been. Mayson had also traveled a bit. She'd decided to become a lawyer to right the many injustices in the world. Her father had been a policeman, her mother a homemaker. She'd been an honors student, in a sorority, and was offered a position in the DA's office. She was smart, funny, and driven. Her job was important to her and she worked hard. Clark found himself incredibly attracted. It had been a long time since he'd met a woman he wanted to spend time with. It was the wrong time, and she was the wrong woman, yet he couldn't stop his attraction to her.

He had to force himself to keep from thinking about Lois Lane, something he'd done a lot of since he'd met her. She was... incredible. Even after everything she'd been through there was a fire in her eyes not many women possessed. Clark wished he'd met her a few years ago. He was sure he'd have fallen...

Fallen for her?! That's why it was important to get her out of his head. Lois was... She had a lot on her plate. The last thing she needed was for some strange man to become infatuated with her. And how would that do him any good? She was in jail- would probably be there for a *long* time. Lois might have moved him, but he couldn't let her get under his skin.

That's why he should just stop thinking and concentrate on the woman at his side. Never mind how he felt about Lois Lane, a woman he didn't even know.

A woman who's children he was legally responsible for.

The whole situation was so incredible it was almost laughable.

But not tonight. He wouldn't think about all of that tonight.

He and Mayson continued to talk and walk. She lived in the theater district, just down the block from the Imperial.

"Great place to live," he commented as they continued toward her building.

"Yeah. I might not seem the type, but I love the pace. This section of the city rarely sleeps."

"Must make getting your rest hard."

"Top floor," she said as she pointed up. "And a very modern building. The super put in sound proofing."

Clark laughed softly as they stopped just outside the gate that led to the front doors. "I sure hope you didn't drive tonight."

They both laughed because he was only just now mentioning it. "No. I take a cab when I go for drinks. And I love Mulligan's."

"It's a great place."

"Maybe we could go again."

The hesitation in her voice was endearing and he found himself drawing closer to her. He lifted his hand and touched her cheek. "I was thinking about dinner at Callard's."

"Dinner's good," she said and swallowed the lump in her throat.

His eyes flashed to her lips just before he leaned in to kiss her softly. It was a light touch, leaving him wanting more. But he drew away. "Tuesday night?"

"At seven?"

"I'll meet you there." Another brush of his fingers across her cheek and he walked away. He couldn't help but smile when he heard her sigh. He felt like doing it himself. Mayson was a great woman and he'd enjoyed himself tonight. It had been entirely too long since he'd spent time with a woman. He'd been so busy he'd barely had time to think. He deserved time for himself. And Mayson was an easy person to be around. Sure he'd see her again.

And maybe he'd kiss her again.

Clark was typing furiously when Perry stepped up beside him.

"Get all of the files you have on the Luthor investigation and bring them to my office."

He didn't wait for a reply, just strode over to Jimmy's desk and repeated his request. Ten minutes later, Clark joined both men, along with Jack behind the closed door of the editor's office.

Perry looked up at the three men. They were all holding large stacks of files. "Is that all?" They confirmed that it was. He pointed toward a trunk on the floor beside his desk. "Put it in there." When they had, he dropped a stack of his own in and slammed the top down. The lock clicked and he stood up again. "It's over."

"What's over?" Jimmy wanted to know.

"The case." Perry sat back down, fully expecting his action to dismiss the men.

"Wait a damn minute," Jack spoke up. "I've put my blood, sweat, and tears into this thing for her, for you!"

"Don't you think I know that?" Perry asked as his head snapped up so he could look at the man. "It's what she wants. I've been arguing with her since dawn. She wants it closed. Said if I didn't she'd have Mayson strip Clark of his custody of Collin."

"She can't do that," Clark argued. "She must not have read the papers through. The only way she can influence custody again is to be out of jail."

"Yeah, but the bastard who's making her do this can take custody permanently."

Realization dawned on them all.

"She'd being threatened," Jimmy deduced. "More reason we should continue this investigation."

"If we do, they'll break Collin's little legs. Is that what you want?" All three men stared at him in shock. "I tried to talk some sense into her, but it's too late. She signed a deal with the prosecutor. The judge is going to sign the order in an hour sentencing her to ten years in the state prison."

"I don't believe this," Jack said and walked out, slamming the door.

"She can't do this. All of that work. We're close Perry, I know we are," Jimmy begged him.

"Just... let it go, Jimmy," he said between clenched teeth. He was so furious with that girl. He'd known she was stubborn, but he hadn't realized just how much until today.

Jimmy threw up his arms and went to find Jack. Maybe they'd skip out on the rest of the day and get wasted. They certainly deserved it after all they'd done.

"What about Perry and Collin?" Clark wanted to know.

"That won't change. They're still yours."

"You mean she doesn't want us to stop looking for him?"

"I don't want us to stop. I'll quit investigating Luthor, but if we find that baby, all bets are off."

"How can we find him without investigating Luthor?" When Perry didn't answer, Clark turned in anger. He was so upset he jerked the door completely off the hinges. He quickly stood it against the wall, then strode toward the stairwell. How could he be mad at a woman he didn't know?

He flew straight to the county lock-up only to be told Lois had already been transferred to the prison. Clark couldn't believe how quickly the wheels of justice could move when enough money changed hands. Frustrated beyond belief, he flew aimlessly for a while, trying to sort out why it was suddenly so important to help a woman who didn't appear to want it. When nothing came to mind and he began to feel so wound up he couldn't see, he turned toward Kansas. He needed to hold the little girl who could ground him more effectively with just a smile than even the biggest story could.

"Clark, do you want to go?"

He looked up at Mayson and tried to smile, but it was forced. "Maybe we should. I'm not very good company tonight."

"She made her choice," Mayson pointed out.

"I know. Sometimes it's hard to accept what others feel is the right thing."

"Not much we can do about it."

He laid his fork down and wiped his mouth. "Isn't there?"

She smiled at him. "You got me. I'm a lot like Perry. I don't give up." She leaned forward on the table. "I'm not sure what game Nigel's playing, but I intend to find out. He ordered Perry not to investigate. Not me."

"Nigel was the one who threatened her?"

"Yeah. We have him on tape going in. The officer who turned his head is being brought up on charges for taking bribes. And he's talking."

This time Clark's smile wasn't forced. "I like your style."

"Enough to go to a game with me Thursday night?"

"Absolutely." Clark held her gaze, allowing himself to soak up the vibes coming from the woman who made him tingle when he was near her. It was strange to feel that way about a woman other than Lana. He'd dated other women, even kissed a few. Some were incredibly attractive and he was drawn to them. But this- how he'd felt with Lana and now- it felt heady and exciting. It almost felt like he was doing something wrong. Was it supposed to feel that way?

Who cared?

"Let's get out of here," he told her and stood up. He dropped enough money down to pay for dinner and for a nice tip, then held Mayson's coat for her. They walked to her place again, talking much the same way they'd done the week before. But this time Mayson reached out to hold his arm. He smiled over at her, silently encouraging the contact. He liked the attention of a beautiful woman and she didn't seem to mind giving it.

Half way to her place, he heard a cry for help. He stopped and looked at her with an apologetic expression. "I'm sorry, Mayson. I need to go."

"What?" She was completely surprised by his abrupt announcement.

He kissed her cheek and turned to leave.

"Clark?"

"I'm really sorry," he called over his shoulder as he hurried away. The call sounded urgent.

It was later, when he was settling in bed that he thought about his quick exist. As much as he liked Mayson, he needed to be Superman. More now than ever. Superman gave him focus.

Superman also caused him to end more relationships before they really started. He couldn't very well tell every woman he liked about his super side. Lana had known him since they were kids, so it was never an issue with her. She understood his need to help and encouraged him to do so. He could run out on her just before they had sex and she wouldn't rip him apart the next day because of it. But others, including Mayson, didn't know that. And he couldn't tell them.

That's why he often distanced himself when a woman showed interest in him. It helped that he didn't find many woman attractive enough to act on it. Sure, he'd dated just for the company and he'd probably do so again. But his attraction to Mayson was a bit stronger than most. And he was sure he'd confused the hell out of her tonight.

She didn't deserve that. He should just bow out gracefully.

Only he didn't want to. He wanted to see her again.

And for the first time in his life, he decided this time he'd do what he wanted to do. Everything else could be dealt with. He'd call her tomorrow and apologize. Hopefully she'd still want to go to that game.

If she did, he wouldn't run out on her.