For those of you who don't know me that well, I like to say that sailing a huge part of my life. This has been so much fun for me to use my sailing experience - I hope I've explained the sailing terms simply for anyone who has never sailed. Thanks for letting me combine my other passion with writing!

Part 20

[Linked Image]

The seas were pitching wildly. The water inside the boat was dragging their water line well below the level the boat was meant to sail. Clark realized that he had to get the sail down before they tipped over in the water. One powerful gust of wind could knock them over on their side, and the cockpit and cabin would fill completely.

After securing the tiller to where it was dead center, he began to let the main sail down.

"Clark? What's going on? Why are you taking the sail down?" Lois' muffled voice came from the cabin below.

"It's not doing any good. Just causing more water to come aboard," he yelled above the screaming wind. "Keep pumping, Lois! Don't stop!"

Clark grabbed the sail and tugged it down, fighting to keep it from dragging it in the water. He wrapped it with a rope to keep it from catching the wind again and then knelt down next to the mast to secure some rigging.

A loud crack and a blinding flash filled the sky, and the boat lurched. Lois cried out as she felt the hair on her head tingle with electricity. They had been hit by lightning!

[Linked Image]

Lois popped out of the cabin and looked for Clark. A flash of yellow amidst the rolling sea sped past the boat as she screamed, "Clark!"

Running to the back of the boat, she could see him face down just below the surface, his yellow jacket filled with air pockets, keeping him afloat. His only movement was coming from the sea, his head bobbing cruelly from the whitecaps washing over him. The lightning must have knocked him out. She had to get his head above the water or he'd drown, that was if the lightning hadn't killed him first!

She would have to turn the boat around, or he'd be swept away by the violent waves. Tugging at the ropes on the tiller, she freed it and swung the rudder around to find Clark, not knowing how she was going to be able to pull him into the boat.

But there was no way she was going to leave Clark, not while she was alive and kicking! With a sob, she yanked on the tiller in desperation, but the boat refused to turn; it was still too heavy with water to respond.

She picked up the life jacket on the floor of the cabin and put it on, zipping it up quickly. Grabbing the life preserver on the back of the stern, she took a deep breath and jumped into the water in Clark's general direction.

The sea closed around her, and she almost took a breath while under water from the shock of the cold. Surfacing almost immediately because of the buoyancy of the flotation devices, she frantically looked for Clark.

There he was, ten yards away, and she would have to swim against the waves to get to him. She looped the rope of the life preserver around her shoulder and started stroking as hard as she could. Time was running out, and she had to reach Clark. The rolling waves and the chilling water made it hard for her to breathe. Her lungs were on fire as she paused to see where Clark was.

With a sob, she looked all around – he was gone!

Sheer black fright chilled her even more than the frigid water as she whirled around, recklessly looking for any glimpse of a yellow jacket below the surface. It felt like a hand had gripped her throat, and the vast ocean was closing in around her, choking the life out of her heart. Suddenly her foot brushed up against something, and through the swirling water, there was a tiny hint of color – it was Clark!

Lois ducked below the surface and grabbed for his jacket, tugging with all the strength that was left in her. His dead weight was slow to resurface, but one frantic tug later and she was able lift his face out of the water. "Breathe, Clark, breathe!" she yelled at him, slapping his cheek. His face was a sickly white, and his lips were turning blue. In an instinctive move, she covered his mouth with hers and blew in air. Nothing happened.

Adrenaline pumping through her veins, she stuffed the life preserver under his torso to keep his head out of the water, then moved around to his back. She reached around his chest, and squeezed violently, several times.

Swimming around to his front, she slapped his cheeks sharply again, and yelled, "Dammit! Wake up! Dammit! Don't you dare die on me! Not now! Not when I finally realize..."

Lois filled her lungs with life-giving air and blew into Clark's mouth again, and then again. A tiny sputter, then water began flowing from his mouth as he began to cough violently.

"Clark, come on! That's it now! Cough it up! Breathe!" Pounding his back with her fist, she encouraged him to rid his lungs of the water.

A few moments later, the coughing subsided and Clark opened his eyes, then began to shiver violently. "Lo... is?"

"Yeah, baby, it's me!" she cried in relief, pressing her wet cheek against his. "You got struck by lightning, and we've got to get back to the boat. Can you swim, or at least hang on to this life preserver?"

"So... cold..." he murmured.

"Listen, Clark Kent! I'm not up to rescuing you again. You'd better hang on, if you know what's good for you. You owe me, buster."

"Storm over?" Clark asked fuzzily, lifting his head and observing his surroundings for the first time. He hacked again, but this time was able to fill his lungs completely with air.

The waves and the wind had indeed subsided, and the sound of retreating thunder rumbled lowly in the distance. The waves were still rolling, but the white caps had ceased for the most part. A quick morning storm had come and gone, nevertheless, the damage already had been done.

"Thank, God! It's over, but we've got to keep moving." Lois noticed the color was returning to Clark's face, but he was still shivering. "I think you need to try to help me. Get your blood moving, Clark. Come on! Kick!" she urged as chills began to shake her body, realizing that following her own advice would be prudent.

The boat was listing to one side fifty feet away, the rail dangerously close to becoming submerged. The main sail had come loose from its ties and was dragging in the water. Clark kicked his legs weakly at first, but soon was helping a rapidly tiring Lois along.

"Clark, I can't..." Lois sputtered as her adrenaline rush subsided a few minutes later. The cold was numbing her legs and arms, and she could barely feel anything but the overwhelming urge to sleep.

"Little bit further, honey," Clark panted between taking breaths. "Look! The sun is trying to break through the clouds already. Let's get to the boat and rest. Then we'll see what we can do about getting back," he gasped, trying to encourage her. Lois was fading fast, inspiring something deep within him to not succumb to the sea.

"I can't," she sputtered as another wave smacked her in the face. "Rest... need to."

"Gonna get too cold. I don't think I can make it if I have to drag you along, and I'm *not* leaving you."

"Go, leave me. I can't... just want to sleep." She let her head loll to the side. A wave splashed into her mouth and brought no reaction.

Clark was losing her and was becoming frantic. He neither had the energy nor the presence of mind to fight a hypothermic Lois. He had to rouse her – somehow.

"So this is it?" he practically sobbed into her ear. "You're going to let Luthor win? Yeah, Lois! We were sabotaged, and I'd bet you a million dollars on who did it."

Lois opened her eyes. A tiny spark of the old fire was back. "That slime..."

"That's it, honey. Fight. He's slime. Little bit further..."

"Don't leave me, Clark. Help..."

"Together, honey, one stroke at a time."

Five long minutes later, they reached the boat. Clark pulled down the ladder and said hoarsely, "You first."

With every last bit of energy Lois had, she climbed up the ladder, fighting the desire to collapse on the deck and then reached for Clark to help him in.

Once on board, Clark sank to the seat and flopped on his side, exhausted and dizzy. Lois found the strength to pull the dragging sail out of the water and set the bulk of it on the seat opposite Clark. A quick glance below in the cabin assured her that they still had some time before the boat sank completely. Now that the waves weren't washing over the sides and the rain had stopped, the cockpit had a chance to drain itself of all the water. They were safe for the time being.

Lois sank to the floor of the cockpit and buried her face onto Clark's neck, allowing the moist heat of their close bodies to be the source of warmth and comfort.

The rhythm of their breathing was erratic and fast, but oddly comforting, symbolizing that they were alive. No words were necessary for now, just the feeling of tenderness that their joined breath brought as it lightly fanned their faces. After a few moments, Clark drew an arm to rest against her shoulder and pressed her closer against his neck.

"You're alive," she sobbed as a cry of relief broke from her lips. Her tears slipped down her cheeks and became one with the seawater that still dripped from her hair and face.

"Can't believe what you did..." Clark pressed his lips against her face, unknowingly, as he came to realize that Lois had risked her life to save him and almost lost her life in the process. "You could have died..."

"You were almost dead," she cried between kisses she'd begun smothering along his jaw line. "Couldn't leave you... never."

"Lo-is," he groaned, turning his face upward until he found her lips, willing and desperate for his also.

She was shocked at her own willing response to the touch of his lips. Her hands sought his hair, wet and slick from their bout with the sea. Eager to be even closer, Lois rose to her feet awkwardly, still clasped in his embrace, as desire and desperation took over her mind and control. Clark's free arm wrapped around her securely as he rolled her on top of his body. Once settled into place, Clark opened his mouth and met her lips in desperation, stroke for stroke, tongues dancing in hopefulness, celebrating that they had survived.

Lois opened her eyes, mid-kiss, and even without staring into Clark's closed eyes, could see the passion and love that was on his face for her. She shut her eyes and melted against him, the passionate heat of his kisses was almost warming her body, yet she still couldn't control the shivering. Too many wet clothes lay between them as their hands roamed to touching faces, hair, and wet clothes.

The proverbial wet blanket in the guise of soaked clothes was putting a damper on their frenzied passion. Clark felt Lois' lip shiver involuntarily against his, and somehow a thought wiggled through to his brain that they both needed to shed some saturated garments, or stop before things got out of control.

He cupped her face with both hands and kissed her thoroughly once more, then laid his head back against the seat. "Lois," he panted. "We need to..." He embraced her tightly, not wanting to let her go, but feeling the race against time once more.

Lois sighed, then shivered again, laying her head against chest. "Yeah..." she agreed, not needing any further explanation as she sat up. Offering Clark her hand, she noticed him grimacing after they clasped them together. Clark seemed surprised by his sudden pain also, and immediately examined it. A palm-sized blister, along with burns on his fingers, glared angrily at them amidst the earlier scars.

Clark winced again as the stinging salt from the water began to take its hold on his senses. "One more thing I didn't mention. Never hold onto a metal mast in a thunderstorm," he said shakily.

Lois was shocked upon seeing the burn, and became frightened as irrational thoughts took over. "That's what Luthor did to you. That bastard did that to you," she whispered horrified.

Clark didn't answer, but started shivering once again as gust of wind chilled his wet clothes. His appearance was pallid. His glasses had been lost in the ocean, and this was the most vulnerable that Lois had ever seen him. It was finally becoming a reality to her that this man was a combination of Clark andSuperman. She had never made the connection, yet it made sense now. Nevertheless, she was still confused over how she felt about this knowledge.

She could imagine this was a pale comparison to when Clark had been lying in that cage in pain and desperation, not knowing that anybody cared. Where had she been? Entertaining thoughts of marrying the man who had done this to her best friend. She'd had been too busy wallowing in her own indecision to even seek out Clark. Maybe if she had tried to see Clark during that time, something would have raised a red flag with her. Clark wouldn't have had to suffer and maybe would still be able to be Superman.

Tears filled her eyes as the need to correct all the wrongs that Luthor had inflicted upon Clark overwhelmed her. It would be so easy to blame herself for not seeing past the suave exterior of the billionaire and for believing that he couldn't possibly be as horrible as she had now come to believe. There would be time to mull over that later. Now she needed to take care of Clark.

"I'm sorry I got mad last night. After all you've been through, you didn't deserve that. It was so much to take in, and I tend to distance myself when I'm caught off guard."

Clark opened his mouth to answer, but Lois shook her head, and touched his lips with her finger to silence him. "I don't need you to make excuses for my bad behavior."

Stroking his cheek softly, Lois let her hand trail down his yellow-jacketed arm until it came to the end of his sleeve. Grabbing the cuff, she tugged lightly on it, encouraging him with a demure smile to lift his arm so she could pull the slicker off.

Mesmerized by her slow deliberate actions, Clark lifted the arm of his injured hand and let her finish removing the jacket. Her hands moved to his chest, and she began at top button of his soaked flannel shirt.

"You're going to be all thumbs trying to get this off with your bad hand," she stated softly and calculatingly. "Let me."

Staring into his eyes, she tried to convey the flurry of confusing emotions that were turning her insides upside down. This was so different from how she'd ever felt previously for a man. Risking her life didn't seem to be enough; she had to lay aside her superciliousness for a while and serve him. Dumbstruck and practically in awe, she didn't want to make sense of how she was feeling; she felt the need to humble herself.

Once the buttons had been undone and she had pulled on the sleeve to help him remove it, her throat tightened in response to seeing Clark without his shirt. But pushing her stray thoughts aside, she realized this was not the time to gawk. She laid the shirt on top of the cabin, spreading it out carefully to dry.

Clark reached towards her and unzipped her windbreaker with his good hand. She shrugged it off her shoulder, holding her breath expectantly. He seemed confused, but willing to play along with whatever she had in mind.

"You're gonna need some help," she said, as the sweater came up over her head, revealing a black lacy bra. "Sorry for undressing in front of you. We didn't discuss how to handle cold wet shirts and being cast out to sea in our marriage."

Lois closed her eyes for a moment to enjoy the warmth of the sun on her bare skin, imagining how Clark was reacting to her bare essentials attire. When she opened them, Clark was gazing at her with a thoughtful expression, admiration shining in his eyes.

"No," he answered. "We didn't bargain for this." Hesitating for moment, he asked, "And about what just happened..."

The confusion on his face immediately told Lois that he was thinking about the frantic kisses that they had just shared. "Um, it just happened, like you said. Guess we were caught up in surviving."

Switching quickly to a safer subject, Clark said, "Thank you for saving me. But if anything would have happened to you..."

"That's the way I felt when I saw you face down in the water," she said, her voice breaking. "God, Clark! It was like you'd been shot down in front of me! But at least I could do something, even if it meant risking my life."

Clark gulped loudly and blinked hard several times. Shaking his head in disbelief, he opened his arms, and Lois fell into them instantly. She could practically feel his exhaustion as he leaned heavily against her. Something was happening to her; her heart felt like it was going to burst. This man. This wonderful man loved her. There had to be more to promise him than forever. There had to be more!!

Stilling her thoughts, she concentrated on the feeling of being held, and holding Clark. The sun was warming the air around them, and the chill was leaving her body. The waves were now gently rocking the boat, rocking the fear away.

'No!' something inside of her challenged. They were still on a boat that was bringing on water. They had to keep fighting to save the boat.

"Clark," she said quietly against his ear. "We've got to get this boat going, and frankly, I don't think you're in any shape to help. Can you tell me what to do? I'm much warmer now and think I can handle it."

"Lo-is..."

Poking him lightly in the chest, she teased, "Don't Lois me, mister! You abandoned the rights to this boat when you fell overboard." Sighing in resignation in having to leave his side, she sat up straight and looked him in the eye. "What should I do? Start bailing again?"

"Um... maybe try to find a dry shirt?" he grinned, as his eyes fell to her practically bare body.

She wiggled her upper body playfully. "You know, this covers me just like a bathing suit top, but it doesn't feel the same. Think anything's dry down below?" Lois challenged, happy to see that the spark was returning to his eyes.

In spite of feeling lousy, Clark's eyes darkened. "Nah, but you never know. But don't *bust* yourself out finding one on my account."

"I thought this wouldn't bother you too much," she said, grinning. Lois stood up, holding onto the cabin for support. "Really, I'll be okay. Should I keeping pumping the water out? It's almost up to the seats again."

"Yeah, pump if you can. It's important..." Clark nodded as he lay down on the seat again. "Sorry, Lois. I don't recommend getting zapped by lightning."

"I'll be okay. You rest for a while." Lois touched his forehead and stroked his hair. His skin was cool to the touch, the goose bumps on his arms signaling that he was cold. "I promised you in sickness and in health, Clark."

His captured her hand with his uninjured one and gave it a quick squeeze. "Guess you didn't plan on taking care of me this soon."

"Nope, and besides, I thought I was supposed to be the high maintenance partner," she grinned as she stepped into the cabin andthe cold water. She tried not to let him see her grimace as she rummaged through cabin looking for anything that was dry to help him warm up. After finding a mostly dry blanket, pillow and a sweatshirt, she returned to the cockpit.

Clark was coughing again. Trying not to show she was concerned about him lest he try to cover it up, she helped him sit up to put the shirt on and wrap him in the blanket. Disappearing one more time, she returned with a tall thermos and a plastic mug.

"So glad you remember to bring coffee for this morning," she said, handing him a cup. "This should help you warm up a bit more."

Ruffling his hair, she studied him curiously for a moment. Her hand then touched his face lightly and trailed down to the blanket covering his shoulders, tucking it around him some more. Satisfied that he was getting warmer, she plunged once more down below.

While drinking the warming coffee, he watched her work with the bilge pump again. A bit slowly at first, but then she found a tempo, and her body swayed to the rhythm of her motions. She was absolutely beautiful, yet still untouchable. He had to be absolutely sure that he didn't rush their romance.

Was he being foolish? Yes. Realistic? Even more so. As lousy as he was physically feeling now, he knew this was the rational decision. They both needed to be sure that their relationship and marriage were nurtured carefully and deliberately. For one thing, Lois had to be sure of her feelings for him. She had to resolve the Superman side with the Clark part of him, and in some ways, so did he. But for now, they had to get out of this predicament.

Clark looked up, and Lois had disappeared into the cabin, probably to find something warm and dry. To his surprise, he heard a motor start running.

"Clark! What is a bilge pump switch?"

He perked up instantly. "Is that what's running?"

"Yeah, is that good?" She reappeared wearing one of his flannel shirts and was rolling up the sleeves.

"Good? Lois, that wonderful!"

"What? The shirt?"

"No, the pump! I didn't have time to look for an electric pump before. The switch wasn't with the other electrical switches; they must have added the pump at a later date."

"Why didn't the electrical system get fried when the lightning bolt hit?"

"Sometimes they ground the mast to the keel, or it could be wired to a separate battery. I'm not sure on this boat though."

"Clark, when you rented this thing, didn't you read the manual?"

"Um, no. Didn't come with one."

"All right, Gilligan. In English, what does this mean?"

"Means that the electric bilge pump should be able to get rid of the water in the cabin. We don't have to do it manually anymore." Clark sighed, then asked, "Do you think you could help me get the sails up?" He held out his injured hand. "I don't think..."

"Sure, Clark," Lois answered.

"I'm not used to being this helpless." He shrugged his shoulders and sighed.

"It's okay. Just tell me what to do."

After he had instructed her on getting the sails hoisted, and they'd begun sailing again, he asked, "If you're sure that the pump is working, then get back here. You're just as exhausted as I am, and that way you can help me keep an eye on the compass."

"Let me ask you this: do we need to stop and ask for directions, or are you sure we can make it back before something else happens?"

"Guess that depends on who drives us back."

"I assume that you mean me," she answered cautiously.

"You did say that you were in charge now."

"Better believe it, Gilligan. Get back there, and teach me how to sail."

"Aye, aye, Captain."

He scooted back against the seat, and patted the spot next to him. After she was snuggled up against him, he picked up her hand and placed it on the tiller, covering hers with his own.

Clark grinned easier, pushing his concerns aside to gaze upon his fiery, wonderful, beautiful wife. Lois cared for him, no doubt about that. But a marriage was something they needed to work on. Rushing sexual intimacies was not going to help them, at least in this case. But resuming the easy friendship was a firm foundation that they could safely build upon. That's what he needed to concentrate on. When the time was right...

Out of the corner of her eye, Lois saw a huge wave of emotions play on Clark's face. In a matter of a few minutes, she had seen his self-confidence waver. Clark had always been her protector, and she was sure it was killing him that he wasn't able to swoop in and take them both out of this mess. He still had some struggles ahead, but something had been resolved within him.

"You know," she started, turning to sneak another sideways glance at him. "This hero business is pretty rewarding, but do I hope you stay out of trouble, mister. If there's one thing I've learned from all of this is how you must have felt having saved me so many times." She leaned back and kissed him on the cheek. "You'll always be my hero. Thanks for always being there."

Clark squeezed her hand. "You're very welcome, Lois."

The storm was only a gray blur on the horizon, a far-off reminder of turmoil they had been through, but at least the boat was holding her own now. The light wind was moving them along steadily, and the sun was shining warm, piercing through the chill enough that Clark shed his blanket. Grinning broadly, he pointed to the top of a lighthouse far in the distance. They were going to make it home.

[Linked Image]