I had intended to post over the weekend, but a festival on Saturday and Mother's Day on Sunday kind of put it off. Then I decided it was so close to Corrina posting her next chapter, and well...

Anyway, I am thrilled with the comments and amazed by the insight some of you have. (That's not an admission to anything! laugh ) And yes, this Lex is very evil!

Enjoy!

++++

Lois wasn't a very patient person by nature. However, the life of her daughter depended on her today. She'd waited. She'd waited two days. Now she waited for just the right time. Jack wasn't on the bench today, but she was certain he was here. Too much was riding on it.

"This little one needs a change," Sara said as she peered down into the carriage.

"May I?" Lois asked. She did that now and then, so it wasn't a surprise to Sara. In fact, she'd gotten the baby ready to go to the park. Caring for the twins was really all Lois did. That and staring out the window.

"Sure. The restroom is over there. Be quick or you know who will come looking for you." Sara motioned to their guard sitting patiently on the bench across from the fountain. He was reading a paper today, trying to look interested.

"I will be quick." Lois stood and began walking toward the building on the other side of the fountain. Her heart began to slam against her chest. This was it. She was more nervous now than she'd been earlier in the penthouse. She'd kept waiting for someone to come after them, having found her deception. Yet, she knew all too well her little girl wasn't often looked in on while she was alone. Lex left that task to her and Sara and didn't often trouble himself to make sure the girl was even alive. The baby girl had also been sleeping, which meant that bought them a bit of time as well.

"I'm just gonna have a smoke," Sara told her as she waited near the bench.

"I won't be long," Lois assured her again.

"I'll be here."

The guard didn't even glance up as she entered the ladies room. It was empty, no doubt made possible by her friend. She quickly shut herself up in the handicap stall and sighed heavily when she noticed the car seat sitting on the toilet. Inside was a doll almost the same size as her twins.

"That boy's good," she said softly as she extracted the doll and replaced it with her own daughter. "Mommy loves you, Sweetie." She ordered her tears not to come. There would be time for those later. Right now this was what she needed to do. If she took this child back to that penthouse, she would definitely never see her again. At least this way Perry would make sure she was safe. More than anything Lois wanted her safe. If that meant she had to part with her for who knows how long, so be it. She would be in very good hands. A final kiss and Lois tucked the doll into the carriage carefully, then hurried from the stall before she lost her nerve.

Outside, she walked back over to Sara, careful not to get too close. "I'm tired," she declared and kept walking.

"Okay," Sara said, stepped on her cigarette butt, then followed.

A woman was about to enter the ladies room when a man stopped her. "Sorry, Miss. Overflowed. We have to clean up the mess." He waited until she was gone before he motioned for the lady across the walk. The young woman hurried over and into the restroom.

"Holy hell!" came the exclamation from inside.

"What is it?" he called in.

"You'll have to see it to believe it. Is the coast clear?"

"Yep." The man pushed the broom he held across the pavement as the young woman existed carrying the car seat. "Is that...?"

"Yeah."

"Get to... Hell, I don't know where to go." Jimmy looked toward the entrance at Perry, who nodded and left the park.

"Go to Clark's place. He's the newest of the crowd. No one would think to look there." He pushed the broom further down the walk as the woman carried her baby toward the opposite exit of the park. No one even looked twice.

Twenty minutes later, Jack was bouncing the crying baby trying to quiet the little bundle down. When the door opened and Perry and Jimmy entered, he let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"Oh, thank God!" He immediately shoved the baby into Perry's arms when he stepped down into the living room. "I have no idea what to do with a baby."

"Ah, come on, Mommy. You're a natural," Jimmy kidded because Jack was still wearing part of his disguise. He'd been the young woman at the park.

"Look at you," Perry crooned to the baby, who was still crying a bit. "You look just like your mother." He looked up at Jimmy. "He's soaked. Call Clark and tell him to bring diapers and some Similac. Tell him to grab a couple of bottles, a pacifier, wipes, and..." He looked at the tag in the child's clothes. "Size twelve month clothes. And tell him to be quick about it."

Clark made it to his place thirty minutes later. When Jimmy phoned him, he was surprised to learn about his shopping trip. But by the time he made it to his place, he'd deduced what Lois had done. Why was the question, but as he stepped through the door of his place to find three frantic men and one screaming baby, he learned he'd been right.

"Get that milk ready," Perry told him immediately.

Hurrying over to the table, Clark was glad he'd had the foresight to pick up a case of ready-to-feed bottles of formula, along with a package of sterile nipples. He dug in the bag for a moment, then turned in time to receive the baby Perry was handing off.

"Give me a little break, Kent. He's pretty upset."

Clark put the bottle down on the table so he could better shift the baby in his arms. "Oh, hi there, big guy," he said softly. "You're soaked." He held the baby with one arm while he pulled the diapers from the bag. He tossed the pack to Jack. "Open those and hand me one." He'd taken out the wipes and threw them at Jimmy. "I need that, too. There's powder in the bag." He walked over to the sofa and placed the baby on the cushion so he could take off his wet clothes. He'd soiled through the diaper as well as his onesie. "Come on, now, I'll have you all dried up in a second," he told him as he worked with all the skill of a father with several children. A few minutes later, he was lifting *her* to his chest to rub a hand over her bare back. "It's the girl," he told everyone else."

"Yeah, well, we figured that from the note," Jack said as he continued to watch the other man. "Pretty sure that's the only way she could get her out the penthouse. She'd never been to the park."

"Who? The baby girl?" Jimmy wanted to know.

"Yeah," Jack answered grimly. Something wasn't right about that baby and it was beginning to rub him the wrong way.

Clark continued to rub the baby's back, effectively calming her. "Isn't that better?"

"I'll be damned," Perry said as the baby stopped crying.

"Where did you learn all of that, CK?" Jimmy asked him.

"I worked in an orphanage in China and in the children's wing of a hospice in South America. I was also the Davies' babysitter for three years."

"You were a babysitter?" Jack snorted at that as he flopped down in the chair across from the couch. "Sorry, CK, but we'll have to ask you to turn in your man card."

"Their son wouldn't stay with anybody else and he was a package deal. He had two baby sisters." Clark stood and walked back over to dig a package of onesies out of the bag. By now the baby seemed very content in Clark's arms. "So, how did we get Lois' daughter?"

"She left her in the restroom," Jack told him. He leaned up and grabbed a piece of paper off the coffee table. "Along with this note."

Clark took it and read aloud. "Protect her. Her life depends on her disappearing for now. I call her Perry. Yes, Perry." He looked up at the others. "That's it?"

"That's it."

Perry moved over to sit on the sofa. "If Lois felt she was in danger, she's in danger."

"But what do we do with her?" Jimmy asked as he went to the fridge for a drink. "Lex will scour the city."

"We have to get her out of the city. Take her somewhere safe, where he would never think to look," Jack put in.

Clark had gone back to the sofa to redress the baby and as he did so, the perfect place came to mind. "I know a place."

"You do?" Perry asked him.

"I'll take her to my parents. No one would think to look for her there."

"That might work," Perry said with nod.

"Do you think your folks will take her?" Jimmy asked as he pulled a chair from the table closer to the group.

"You have to know my mom, Jim," Clark said as he turned the baby to sit on his lap. "She believes it's her life's mission to help save the world, in any way she can. If that means taking in a baby whose mom thinks she's in danger, then she'll take that baby in."

"We don't know for how long," Perry pointed out.

Clark glanced down at the baby. "Mom won't care. Isn't that right, Perry?"

"Guess Lois lost her mind after all," Jack joked of the baby's name.

"Wise guy," Perry told him. "How soon can you get a flight out?"

"I can be out and back in two days," Clark lied. Unfortunately, he had to cover for himself. Being as he'd have a passenger, he'd have to fly at night. And he'd take the time to help his mother settle the baby in.

"We'll have to come up with a cover story," Jimmy spoke up. "An aging couple can't suddenly have a baby appear from nowhere. And if anybody comes asking questions..."

"Leave that to me," Perry spoke up. "I know guys who know guys."

"Are those the same guys Lois used to know?" Jimmy asked. She'd said that to him several times. The way she seemed to get things done, he believed her, too.

"Both of you drank some of that smart sauce tonight," Perry said with a pointed finger, causing the other men to laugh. "So, we have a plan?" Perry said as he stood up. "Will you be all right alone with the baby, Clark?"

He glanced at the child who suddenly found his watch fascinating. "Yeah, we'll be okay."

"Better man than me," Jack said as he rose. "She is a cute kid though. Could almost pass for yours, CK, with that dark hair and dark eyes."

Jimmy clapped him on the shoulder on his way by. "Call if you need anything."

"We'll be okay. Won't we, Sunshine?" Clark lifted the baby and turned her so he could look at her. Jack was right; she was adorable.

And her mother must have all of her senses, as Perry had said. She certainly loved this little person. Only a mother who loved her child so completely could leave her for others to take care of to save her life without knowing what the future held. That was a definite sign that Lois hadn't completely lost her mind.

If Lois trusted them to keep her daughter safe, they weren't about to let her down. He didn't know her at all, but this act made him respect her beyond words.

Sara hovered just inside the door to Lex's office, nervous about going in. Something was wrong with Lois. She'd refused to allow her to come with her into the library with her and the babies. When they'd returned from the park, Lois had gone straight to the bedroom, lifted the baby girl from the cradle, and took her and Xavier to the library. She'd all but locked the door to keep her out. It was past the twins' bedtime and Lois still refused to allow her in. And she refused to come out.

Lex finally looked up from what he was reading to see Sara. "I hadn't realized I'd asked you to come see me tonight," he said with a smile. He stood and walked toward the young girl, his expression becoming predatory in nature.

"You didn't." Sara wouldn't look at him.

"No matter. I don't mind a bit of pleasure if you don't." He was about to reach for her when she stepped back. "What?" he demanded. "Am I not good enough for you now?"

"It's not that, Mr. Luthor. It's..."

"Spit it out, girl!"

"Mrs. Luthor," the woman said so softly Lex had to strain to hear her.

"What about her?"

"She's shut herself up in the library with the babies and won't let me in."

Lex stared at her for a moment before he strode from the room. He wasn't sure what the hell that bitch was up to, but he'd find out. Didn't she know he paid good money to make sure that boy was cared for like he was truly a Luthor?

Lois' head snapped up when Lex flung the door to the library open.

"What are you doing in here?"

"Reading," she lied and knew immediately he didn't buy it. She'd hadn't read anything in months.

Lex tucked his hands behind his back and walked toward her slowly. She had the carriage sitting next to her and moved a bit as he approached. Was it his imagination or was she trying to shield the carriage from him? "Why do keep the babies from Sara?"

"We were okay." Her heart began to pound loudly. In seconds he would learn of her deception.

He stopped in front of her and leaned over to get a good look at the babies. Xavier looked up at him and smiled. But the girl just laid there. "What's wrong with her? It's not time to sleep." He'd insisted on very strict schedules for them both. He wasn't about to let some snot nosed brat put a crimp in his style. When his hand touched her, his eyes snapped to Lois. The baby doll was jerked from beneath the covers as the anger boiled deep within the man fuming as he hovered over the frightened woman. "What the hell is this?! Where is the girl?"

"Somewhere you'll never find her."

Lex stared at Lois for a moment before he smiled. "Welcome back, Ms. Lane."

She thrust herself to her feet to stand off against the man she'd come to loathe. "I've been back for a while!"

"What did you do with the girl?" he asked, his voice calm and cold.

"I gave her to the bum on the corner!"

Lex drew back and slapped Lois so hard she felt as if her jaw was broken. "Get her back! Now!"

"Go to hell!" Lois spat as she looked up at him from her position slumped over the chair she'd fallen on. He drew back again and she stood up, squaring her shoulders as she did. "Go ahead. Do it. Then explain why your wife looks like she's been beaten to a pulp when we arrive in Australia." That made him drop his arm, clenching his jaw tightly enough so that she could hear his teeth grind. "I told you've been back a while." Long enough to hear that Lex had married her because he'd had to. His dear father had owned an empire and had left him the throne- providing he met certain stipulations. One of which was the need to have a wife. He couldn't claim his inheritance without her. "I'm sure Daddy left instructions should your wife be mistreated."

He stepped close enough that she could feel his breath when he spoke. "You've bought yourself a reprieve... For now. But as soon as the transfer of power is complete, you will no longer be needed." She stood just a bit taller, practically daring him to do something. "Now, tell me where she is," he said, a controlled, clipped order.

"Over my dead body." Now that she'd stood up to him once, she began to feel herself come alive again. Her daughter was gone, safe by now, and there was no way in hell she'd ever tell him where she was.

Not that she knew anyway.

Lex glared at her for several minutes before he turned and walked toward the door. On his way by Sara, he backhanded her hard enough to knock her to the floor. He never stopped and didn't see that she hit her head on the way to the floor.

"Sara!" Lois yelped and ran toward her. It only took a minute to realize the hit on the head had been a fatal blow.

In his office Lex paced back and forth as he waited for Nigel. He'd snapped out an order for one of the maids to get him when he'd been on his way back. It was only a few moments before the English gentleman walked into the room.

"How may I assist you this evening, my good man?"

"That bitch has done something with the girl." He continued to pace, unable to stand still. It wasn't often he wasn't in control and when he wasn't, it caused him great distress.

"The baby girl?"

"Yes, the baby girl, Nigel!" he yelled. Stopping in front of the bookshelves, he shoved a frustrated hand through his hair. "We have to find her."

"I'll put our best men on it, sir."

"Do that. And if they don't find her by dawn, they better not go home!" He snatched up an object on the shelf and turned to throw it against the wall, shattering a picture hanging there.

Damn that woman!

And damn the man that forced him to be in a position to have her here.

But Lex would win. Good men had tried to bring him down without success. He'd be damned if Lois Lane would do it.

Mrs. Cox stepped into the room as Lex threw another object at the wall. "Mr. Luthor, Sara is dead."

He stopped and whirled to face the tall, dark woman. "Good. The bitch should have done her job."

"Sir, she had a family. A family that might ask questions."

Pure rage washed through Lex and he turned toward his desk. He reached down, heaving as he lifted the furniture, yelling as he flipped over. "Get Nigel. He will know what to do," he finally managed when he'd calmed enough to speak.

"Yes, sir." The woman turned and left without another word. She was still upset with Lex over how he'd treated her in the ballroom.

Lex stumbled over to the double doors and out onto his balcony. Taking several deep breaths, his mind began to calm. This was his city. He was in control.

And no one was going to take that away from him.

Clark landed in the backyard and hurried in through the door of the farmhouse. "Mom!" he called. The light was on in the den so she was still up.

"Clark? I didn't know you were coming out..." She stopped when she saw her son standing on the other side of the table... holding a baby.

"I need you to hold her for a second while I zip back to Metropolis and handle a couple of things." He carefully placed the sleeping baby in his mother's arms, then disappeared in a flash. He flew back to his apartment to gather up the baby items he'd purchased earlier. He even grabbed the soiled clothes. He deposited the trash in a bin two blocks over, double checking to make sure he hadn't left behind any evidence that a baby was ever in his home. One last look and he gathered up the bag containing the baby things, along with the car seat, and flew back to Kansas.

Martha was sitting at the table gazing at the angelic face of the sleeping child when he made it back. "Why did you have a baby?" she asked him immediately.

He set the bag and seat on the table, then took out the dirty clothes so he could carry them into the laundry room adjoining the kitchen. When he was done, he sat down to look at his mother. "It's a long story."

"I have time," she assured him.

"Well..." He began the tale slowly and twenty minutes later, his brows rose as his eyes pleaded with his mother. "So?"

Martha smoothed a hand over the baby girl's head. "You poor dear. And Lois," she said as she looked at her son. "It's been so long. Do you think you and the others will be able to help her?"

"We have to believe we can. Perry won't stop until he does. Lois is like a daughter to him." Clark pointed at the baby. "Will you keep her?"

"Oh, Clark, of course we will. I'll explain everything to your father in the morning." Jonathan had already gone to bed.

"Thanks, Mom. I knew I could count on you guys." He reached over to touch the baby. He'd spent the afternoon with the baby and had grown quite attached. He'd miss her when he left. "You do realize it might be a while before we can reunite her with her mother."

"I think we'll manage." Martha grinned as she continued to gaze at the small baby. "I just wish she could have gotten her brother to you, too."

"Yeah." He rose to put away the things he'd brought. "Perry said he'd take care of the paperwork to explain her appearance here."

"We'll need something. And she'll need things."

"I'm gonna stay for a couple of days to help you get her settled. I'll make sure you have everything you need."

"You can bring your old crib in from the storage shed. And I think there's a few other baby items there as well."

Clark nodded. "How about tonight? Where should she sleep?"

"Your cradle is in the attic. You can get that." She rose and went upstairs.

When Clark found her, she was in his room. The baby was lying on the bed, still sleeping, and his mother had cleared a space for the cradle. He set it where she indicated.

"I'll make up the bed."

Clark's head snapped around to her as she headed for the door. "What? She's sleeping in here?"

"For tonight. Your father's asleep. We can set the crib up in our room tomorrow."

He glanced at the baby when she left he room. He hadn't counted on the baby spending the night with him. As she sighed in her sleep, he smiled. It didn't matter where she slept. Perry needed someone to take care of her, and he was ready for the task.

When Martha had the cradle made up and the baby tucked in, she looked up at her son. "What's her name?"

"Perry."

"Perry?" He nodded. "Unusual for a girl." Another soft touch before the woman headed for the door. "Five comes early."

"Night, Mom." Clark watched the baby sleep for a moment before he stepped over beside the bed to take his shirt off. As he settled on the bed, he couldn't stop trying to figure out what direction to go in with the investigation. But there was so much running through his head.

Why did Lois feel Perry was in danger? Was Luthor planning to harm her? Did Lois know what it was? How long had she been lucid? Since she'd given Jack the napkin with the drugs in it?

He glanced over at the sleeping baby again. Doing what he was doing- it was a lot considering he didn't even know Lois.

Yet, Perry knew her. He loved her and wanted to protect her. In the short time Clark had been at the Planet, he'd come to see his editor as a wise man. He was compassionate and loyal, even if he rarely let that side of himself show. Clark not only respected that, he'd come to view Perry as a friend. And something inside him told him that Perry was right- Lois was in trouble with Luthor. He'd help Perry prove it. He'd help Lois no matter what he had to do.