Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Muffin Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
KenJ,

I liked your vision of Lois and Clark's future. Very interesting scenario that you've generated. I found the part about how Clark's aura worked it's magic in helping Lois survive centuries along with him to be an interesting theory. That, indeed, would make for some interesting storylines. I encourage you to keep writing, especially on this idea. I'm very curious to see what you'll turn out in future stories. Much luck to you.

-Muffin

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I really liked the "hard science" - the bit about the sidereal time was very interesting. The parts about finding or describing each universe made a lot of sense, too - there are a whole lot of alt-worlds out there, and Herb would need some sort of way to keep them organized.

As a non-techie, I do appreciate the hard science stuff. I tend to do a lot of technobabble and handwaving in my fics. smile

Lois's delayed aging makes total sense the way you describe it, as do their reasons for creating new identities. I personally feel that they might go off and work at another newspaper for awhile, or at least the Daily Planet branch in a different city, though. If "Clark Kent and Lois Lane" get old and retire, and a new "CK and LL" come on board, it would be very hard to maintain the fiction that the two sets of people are *different* sets of people. Geographic distance might be the best disguise here.

I always hoped that Lois would live a good long time, though. Yay for explaining how she will.

M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
Great story! When is your next one?

SNL Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Dear KenJ

Brilliant Story.

I loved the way that Lois and Clark worked out to re-invent themselves so that they could hide their longivity.

Looking forward to more stories.

SNL

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Regarding the 'hard science' I have a history - I worked in Organic and Analytical Chemistry for 30 years. There is a LOT of technology involved in those fields. After that I got into Computer Network Administration and IT Education.

My interest in time travel/time paradoxes goes back to my teen years with a story by Robert A. Heinlein titled “By His Bootstraps”. I don’t know if you would even be able to find it in print now, I have tried and failed, but, it remains burned into my memory like I read it yesterday. If anyone would be interested in a short write up of that story send me a note at ken.janney@kjanney.com. Aside from being a L&C fan my 4 all time favorite movies have to be “Ground Hog Day” and the “Back to the Future” trilogy. There are a couple of ‘runners up’ and those would be “Butterfly Effect I & II”. I am also a TREKKER.

As you can see in my notes at the end of this story, I do have plans for additional stories. Since this one has established the ground work it will require only slight modifications to the others I have in the pipeline to have them fall in line, however the series I have in mind will deal primarily with universe - Alpha 023 x Gamma 025 x Tau 036 and its offshoots (wink, wink). I have tentatively titled the series “The Matchmaker Chronicles”

*** original text ***
The next one, however, will not be a sequel. I recently started listening to a musical group from Canada. Very few of their songs are vocal. I really like the one here:
*** end original text ***

*** New text ***
I have retitled MoU to be "Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 1 Lois Lane - Mother of Utopia.
Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 2 - Borrowed Time is in the works and should be posted this month.
*** end new text ***

Actually, it is coming together faster than I had expected and hope to post it next month.

You may get some idea as to the mood from listening to the song, but, rest assured I prefer WAFFY stories so all will come out fine in the end.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
RE: should they relocate to another branch. I thought that by having Lois change her appearance that would be enough. By changing her hair color and makeup there would be a lot of difference. Then using the same theory behind the Spandex suit, having her dressing in a 'more revealing' attire the eyes would be distracted making the changed hair and makeup even more effective.

kj
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Lots of interesting ideas there, Ken. I'm a huge fan of time travel too. I'm surprised the Terminator movies weren't included on your list.

Love the aura concept regarding the slowing Lois' aging process. That's excellent. And your explanation of the ease of pregnancy and the slow proliferation of supermen/women. How excellent that Ultra Woman was brought back!

This was a fun line too:

We recently purchased the old Delfino mansion out on Wisteria Lane.
Joan

Kerth
Kerth
I greatly enjoyed your story. Since I'm a bit into natural sciences, I really liked what you did there, although the how was a little stiff. Somehow, I can't see Lois and Clark repeat the whole science stuff in a dialogue. wink

On another note, I think you just set a new record for the number of children Lois and Clark have. (The largest number I've seen before your story was 42 in some Round Robin or other. Don't ask, it was a very weird story.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow what an interesting idea! I like it, though I would think that after 100 years of the same job they might want a change of pace. Good job, very creative! Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A bibliography for "By His Bootstraps" is at the ISFDB , looks like the latest reprint is a SFBC collection called Off the Main Sequence: The Other Science Fiction Stories of Robert A. Heinlein from 2005. There is a radio play of it online at Radio Drama Revival .

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for that info. It is a short story, but an excellent one. I had tried a number of sources. Those I had not been aware of.

kj
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Loved this story and the science stuff too.

I am also a fan of time travel smile

I also liked all your explanations, especially the part about the aura and "young" Lois.

Looking forward to read more from you smile1

smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I really liked "By His Bootstraps" too.

I believe it's one of two stories that I've read where

SPOILER WARNING*******

All the characters are the same person.

The other story was a short novel by David Gerrold - the name escapes me right now.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------
I greatly enjoyed your story. Since I'm a bit into natural sciences, I really liked what you did there, although the how was a little stiff. Somehow, I can't see Lois and Clark repeat the whole science stuff in a dialogue.

On another note, I think you just set a new record for the number of children Lois and Clark have. (The largest number I've seen before your story was 42 in some Round Robin or other. Don't ask, it was a very weird story.)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lara - After working with my betas on Volumes 2 and 3 so far I have gone back and redone portions of Lois Lane - Mother of Utopia. I will be posting it on the n-fic side. The science becomes a Bernie discussion.

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard