Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello all,

I've always wondered how someone who possessed neither people skills nor reporter's instincts could manage to become a journalist for the Daily Planet. This vignette was my attempt to answer that question.

As always, all feedback welcomed.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmmm interesting idea. I wonder about the time line though. I thought Ralph was there already before they started to date.

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Laura,

Weird. One of my BR's made a similar comment about the timeline. But before I wrote the story, I did a search of the name "Ralph" in all of the show's scripts, and Ralph only appears, at least as a named character, in the fourth season. The timing of Ralph's appearance in canon actually works perfectly for this story. Did he appear in an unnamed, non-speaking role earlier in the show?

To research this story, I actually watched all the relevant parts of the three episodes in which he appears (Lord of the Flys, Stop the Presses, and Night before Myxymas). (He is also mentioned by name in two other fourth season episodes.)

It was in LotF that he asks Lois out. Could that be what you are remembering?

edit: I just looked up James DuMont's filmography, and he only appeared in the fourth season of L&C, so he apparently didn't even have a non-speaking role on the show earlier. FWIW, I had been surprised to discover that he was only in three episodes. It is a credit to the actor and the writers that they made the character so memorable that so many people think he had more of a presence on the show than he actually did.

Joy,
Lynn

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
That was great and clap

smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Loved this!!

I think I 'know' Ralph through fanfic - which is probably why it seems like he's been around a whole lot longer than season 4!

Very good way to 'explain' how the bumbling Ralph got the job!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, this was a hilarious ficlet. Ralph has no understanding of wright and wrong. And I believe that the truly poignant part is the last line, where Ralph expects to become a staff reporter within two years all thanks to nepotism. It's almost as if those little characters like Ralph are those who closest mirror what's going on in our world. Of course, he might also have figured out that it was Lois Lane who brought down the Pagoda and set out to destroy her by seducing her and stealing her story shock

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
clap Cute fic, Lynn! So THAT's how Ralph got a job at the DP!

And for some reason, I really got a chuckle out of this:
He'd like to counter their indicatives!
I heard a 'why I oughtta' in that somewhere wink

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great little vignette. It makes so much sense, now, how Ralph ended up at the DP...

From now on, this is canon to me. That's how Ralph got to the Daily Planet.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Very brave! I never would have dared to look through the eyes of Ralph, so I'm impressed. You did one with Cat too, if I recall correctly, which makes you a lot braver using secondary character than I would ever be. And you capture their voices perfectly through narration alone.

Wonderful bit of story-writing, thank you.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Bwa ha ha! Cute and funny!

Yes, Ralph doesn't show up on the show until early S4, but he's such a useful fanfic character that people have inserted him into earlier timelines; that's probably where the confusion comes in.

This was a cute way to point out the similar names and it works really well for what we know of Ralph's character! Nicely done, Lynn.

Kathy

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks for all the FDK! smile

DW, I had thought he was at least mentioned more, as well.

Bellarase, your fanfic explanation does make sense. Ralph would not be a pleasant person to be around, but he does make for some interesting fanfic.

Michael, interesting speculation about Lois going to the Board of Health. That may well have happened, but I purposely did not mention anything about it in the story. I wanted this story to be a first for me -- a story set in the L&C-verse in which not only are neither of the show's title characters present, but none of the regular cast is even alluded to.

MozartMaid, thank you for pointing out my favourite line of the ficlet. And you nailed the intended tone of voice for that sentence right on the head!

Iolanthe, wow! Having a piece of fanfic promoted to canon status in the mind of a fan is one of the greatest compliments possible! Thank you!

AntiKryptonite, I did feel like I needed to shower after writing this to wash off all the slime I felt from stepping into Ralph's POV. wink

But never say 'never' for your own writing! I would never have ventured a piece like this myself a year ago. (Oops...Did I just break my own advice? wink )

And thank you for recalling my Cat piece. The funny thing is, Cat and Ralph are my two least favourite characters. But I'm not proud -- I will take whatever crumbs my muse throws my way. And she threw me some Cat and Ralph crumbs.

Kathy, thanks for taking the time to read the story, even though you probably knew the punchline. (I first got the idea that Ralph the restauranteur might also be Ralph the reporter during the Kerth ceremony, and I speculated as such in the chat room before I realized that there might be a story idea lurking in this new expansion of our tried-and-true 1+1=1 equation.)

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard