Lois hung up her cell.

Shadbolt knew. He'd helped Scardino arrange the cremation of Jonas and agreed to the pretence that it was the body of the alien.

Menzies knew.

Scardino knew.

Three people.

Could the secret be kept?

She trusted Evan. Scardino had covered for them when they'd escaped. Menzies? If he was committed to keeping the secret, he would be a powerful ally.

He had influential connections. He could bluster his way through almost anything. He'd protected Moyne. Would he now protect Clark's secret with that same vigilance?

Part 29

Lois awaited Clark's return, trying to control the two spirals of fear twisting through her insides.

Her world - *the earth* - was in mortal danger. Her world - *Clark* - was going to put his life on the line trying to save an entire planet.

She could lose her world - twice over.

They had touched on where this could lead - Clark living two lives. But neither of them had dared wonder aloud about what would happen if he were unable to divert the asteroid.

Her tension-tuned ears picked up a faint sound, the door opened, and Clark walked in. Lois rushed to him and threw herself into his arms. His clothes were cold, but his hug was warm. Too soon, he leaned back, looking a little nonplussed at the fervour of her welcome. "I told you I wouldn't take any risks," he said.

"Did you find it?"

"Yeah."

His tone told her more than the single word. "It's big?"

"Huge."

"The size of a sports ground?"

"Bigger."

"The size of Smallville?"

Clark nodded tersely and looked away.

It was a *lot* bigger than Smallville. The fear swelled, pushing into her ribs and pressing against her heart. "And moving quickly?" Lois asked.

"Yeah," he admitted.

"Clark," she said feverishly. "If you don't think you can do this, you must say so. No one's asking you to risk your life."

But that was exactly what they were asking. "I don't have to move it far off course for it to miss the earth," he said.

"Do you have a plan?"

"I think the best option is going to be to fly into it."

"Best option for whom?" Lois gasped. "It doesn't sound like the best option for you."

"I have to do whatever is needed," Clark said.

He still hadn't said whether he thought he could do it. If he didn't want to answer that question, Lois wasn't sure she wanted to ask it.

"How are we getting to Metropolis?" he said.

"We will fly to my father's home and drive to the EPRAD base in my Jeep."

"And then the alien makes his appearance," Clark said dourly.

"There are some things you should know before we leave." Lois saw his concern deepen. "Three people will know the truth. Menzies, Scardino -"

"Menzies? He knows?"

"He worked it out."

"He worked it out?" Clark questioned. "Or Scardino told him?"

"Scardino confirmed. But only after he knew the seriousness of the situation."

"Can we trust them?"

"I think so," Lois said.

"You don't sound too sure."

"I understand this is a huge risk," she said. "Even if you *can* shift the asteroid ..."

"*We* are risking everything," he said.

"My gut says they're genuine," Lois said.

Clark gave her a halting smile. "I'm willing to trust your gut."

"There's something else you need to know."

"What?" he asked sharply.

"Shadbolt is a security guard at EPRAD."

"Shadbolt?"

"Scardino told me he had a new job as a security guard, but he didn't say where." Lois shrugged. "It seems appropriate - he was always reading space magazines at the compound."

"But Shadbolt thinks I'm dead," Clark said ominously.

"No," Lois said. "Scardino told me that Shadbolt helped him clear out the cell and cover up our escape."

"Shadbolt did that?"

"You find it hard to believe?"

Clark thought for a moment, and painful memories clouded his expression. "Shadbolt did his job," he said. "When Trask ordered the discipline sessions, he did them, but he never went beyond what he was ordered to do."

"Did he ever come into the cell? Alone? During his shift?"

"No."

"He wasn't ... like Moyne?"

"Not in any way. I knew he despised me; he had had to clear out the first body, and he thought I'd done it. After the second body, he could barely bring himself to look at me."

"He found out too late that you hadn't killed those men."

"He knows?" Clark said with surprise.

"Yeah, he knows," Lois said. "I think that's probably why he helped Scardino cover for us." She paused for a moment, giving Clark some time to try to reconcile the past with the future. "Scardino says Menzies will be the centre of attention, as he always is. Plus, he knows the chief scientist at EPRAD. Scardino will liaise, but we'll need someone else to help safeguard the secret."

"Shadbolt?" Clark didn't sound convinced.

"If you're uncomfortable facing him, we can ask for someone else."

"No," Clark said, although he still sounded unsure. "Shadbolt is better than having someone else see Clark Kent enter a room and an alien emerge from it."

"That's what Scardino thought," Lois said, sweeping her hand the length of Clark's forearm. "But I know how hard it will be for you."

"I'll be OK," he said.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Did you tell Scardino that we want a disguise?"

"Yes."

"What did he say?"

"Neither of us could elaborate much. The agency cell phones are security-enhanced, but there are no guarantees that some hacker hasn't found a way to break into the system."

"Did he say anything about precisely what they want me to do?"

"They can't know that until you've told them your capabilities. I think the scientists will work with you to devise the best strategy - for averting the collision *and* for getting you back home safely."

"OK," Clark said. "Are you ready to go?"

No, she would never be ready to go - because going brought closer the moment when Clark would confront a huge chunk of space rock. Lois picked up her bag from the table and checked that her keys were in there. "I'm not sure what I'll need," she said forlornly.

"If you forget anything, I can come back and get it," Clark said.

"I think you'll be a little too busy to be running errands for me." She tried to smile, but it fell flat.

Clark's effort was marginally more successful. "We'll get this done," he said. "Then we'll fly home. Just you and me."

She tried again and forged a rickety smile. They stepped outside, Clark picked her up, and they swept into the air.

||_||

Clark landed them amongst the trees in the back garden of Sam Lane's large, ivy-covered home. Lois smiled her thanks as he slid her to the ground, and then she walked towards the door.

"Lois?" Clark asked as he followed her. "What did your father do?"

"Do?" she said, inserting the key into the ornate wooden door. "As in his career?"

"Yeah."

"He's a doctor."

A doctor? How was he going to feel when he found out that his daughter was with a farmer? Clark perused the elegant magnificence of the house, his heart sinking. He'd never even *been* in a house this grand.

Lois dropped her bag onto the hutch. "I'll just grab a couple of things from my room," she said.

"OK."

She took three steps, stopped, and turned. She walked back to him and put her hand on his chest. "Are you having second thoughts?" she said.

"I don't know if I'll be able to do what is needed," Clark said honestly. "But right now, I'm a bit overwhelmed by this house."

She looked around as if seeing it for the first time. "It's just a house," she said nonchalantly. She smiled and patted his arm. "I'll be back in a minute."

When she returned, she was carrying a black curly wig.

"Another one?" Clark said, remembering the cranberry-coloured creation.

Lois chuckled. "Lois Lane shouldn't be seen at EPRAD today. Not with a super-hero making his debut."

"Super-hero?" Clark said doubtfully, although he couldn't help smiling in response when she donned the wig and posed for him.

Lois used the wall mirror to adjust her wig. When she turned, the moment of playfulness had passed. "Are you ready?" she asked as she hooked her bag on her shoulder.

"Yes," he said.

"I love you, Clark."

"And I love you, Lois."

"Our love will be enough," she said. "Don't ever doubt that it will be enough."

Clark wrapped her in his arms, trying to imprint the feel of her into his memory.

Lois backed away too quickly. "No long goodbyes," she said. "This is not the end. It is just the beginning."

"OK," Clark said as he reluctantly released her.

They said little as Lois drove the Jeep to the EPRAD base. As they approached the gate, it opened automatically, and the guard waved them through.

"That was easy," Clark commented. His nervousness had been rising steadily. He wished he could just shoot up and tackle the asteroid head on. He wasn't convinced that it would be more harrowing than working with a horde of scared and sceptical humans.

They parked the Jeep, and Lois confidently led him towards the nearest door. "Have you been here before?" he whispered.

"No," she murmured. "But I'm sure we're being watched."

"By Scardino?"

"Hopefully."

A security guard materialised at the door. "Ms Everitt?" he asked.

"Yes," Lois said without missing a beat.

"Come this way." The guard led them through a maze of corridors and into a windowless room that contained a small table and about ten chairs positioned to look at a large television at the front of the room. "Wait here."

The room felt sterile and unwelcoming. It didn't have the malevolent atmosphere of the cell, but it reminded Clark of being there. This was man's domain - a place of power in a world where he had not been welcome.

For a brief but excruciating second, Clark was beset by the overpowering instinct to flee. What if this was a trick? What if Scardino and Menzies had cooked up the asteroid story to save the world from what, in their minds, was the greater threat - a rampaging alien?

Lois pulled the curly wig from her head and tossed it onto a seat. She stepped into his vision and wrapped her arms around his neck. "My gut is calm," she said. "They need your help."

Clark gazed deep into her brown eyes and found the certitude he so desperately needed. He slid his hand over her hair, smoothing where the wig had ruffled.

He needed her so much - the thought of life without her felt like a gaping cavern opening up inside him. He *had* to be with Lois. He wasn't going to let anything - including a monstrous asteroid - separate them.

The door opened. Clark dropped his arms from Lois. She moved more slowly - smiling up at him before releasing him from her embrace. She turned on the spot, standing in front of him as they faced whoever was coming.

It was Shadbolt.

He closed the door without looking at them. He stared at the floor for what seemed like an interminably stretched second. Then he looked up, saw them, and focussed on Clark.

Clark saw recognition in his eyes. Perhaps he was remembering the early days before neglect had defaced Clark's appearance.

Time stopped as the atmosphere, cumbersome and tainted, pressed in on two men staring at each other, reliving the past, accepting the present, tentatively assessing the future.

Shadbolt took two unsteady steps forward, his eyes never leaving Clark's face. "Mr Kent," he said in a hoarse and crumbly voice. He roughly cleared his throat. "Mr Kent. I'm sorry."

The walls of the small room seemed to close in on them, shrinking the space between them. Shadbolt's eyes didn't waver. In them, Clark could see shame. And such sincere contrition that it was almost painful to observe. Finding his own throat dry, Clark offered his hand and only said, "Mr Shadbolt."

Shadbolt shook his hand and held it for a fleeting second.

In that gesture, Clark understood something profound. They were equals. Two beings of different origin, but equal. "Call me 'Clark'," he said.

That seemed to unnerve Shadbolt even more. "I'm 'Evan'," he croaked.

After another suspended moment when nothing was said but much was conveyed, Evan turned from Clark to greet Lois.

"Ms Lane," he said with a stiff nod.

"I thought we'd moved beyond such formalities," Lois said as she gave Evan a brief hug.

He smiled hesitantly. "Lois. It's ... ah ... good to see you both again. Even in such terrible circumstances."

"How are your daughters?"

"They are both very well," Evan replied, jumping to the subject of his daughters with evident relief. "I have two days off a week now - we've been having picnics and going to movies."

"That's wonderful," Lois said. "And Layla? Did she get her college portfolio completed?"

Evan prefaced his reply with a smile. "She did. She's ... ah ... actually, she's working on another project now."

"That's great," Lois said.

Evan replaced the smile with a more business-like demeanour. He pointed to the television. "They are going to feed through Daitch, the head scientist. That way, he can give you information without knowing your identity."

"But Clark will meet him eventually?" Lois said. "What if he has questions?"

"The scientists have calculated the optimum time for this attempt," Evan said. "It is just after seven o'clock this evening. I don't know much else, but there will be plenty of time for questions." The radio strapped to his hip crackled, and he pressed a button on it. The voice sounded tinny and indistinct, but Evan seemed to understand. "Right."

He gestured for them to move to the side of the room and opened the door. When he turned back, he was carrying a tray of drinks - both hot and cold - a plate of assorted sandwiches, and another plate containing slices of moist chocolate cake. He set the tray on the table. "Are you ready to watch the information session?" he asked.

"Yes," Clark said, feeling more out of place than he ever had before.

Evan dragged the table to the centre of the room and positioned three chairs behind it. As they sat down, Lois slipped her hand into Clark's and smiled.

Her smile relaxed him. Her smile grounded his feet in a heaving sea of uncertainty.

"Tea?" Lois asked.

"Thanks," Clark replied.

Evan used a remote control to switch on the television. Lois poured tea from the pot. Two scientists appeared on the screen and began outlining everything they knew about the asteroid.

It was - without doubt - the eeriest meal that Clark had ever experienced. Chocolate cake and looming extinction seemed odd bedfellows.

He ate very little, drank multiple cups of tea, and listened intently to the scientists. Most of what they said confirmed what he had already surmised from his reconnaissance into space.

After twenty minutes, they demonstrated the equipment they suggested he wear - an oxygen tank and a radio to maintain contact.

Their change in manner was noticeable. When talking about the asteroid, they spoke with the ease of learned experts. When they moved to discussing the possible equipment, it was obvious that they, too, were unsure about this.

They didn't know his capabilities. They didn't know if he could do this. They didn't know how they could assist him. They knew they needed more time - time to test the various options. To test, to modify, to test again.

But time was one thing they didn't have.

When they finished, they asked if there were any questions.

Clark relayed his questions through Evan, who spoke into the radio, and the answers came back via the television link.

Then, they asked questions. About Clark's capabilities. About his speed. About his strength. About his ability to fly beyond the earth's atmosphere. About his height and weight. About what he would need.

About whether he thought he could do this.

He didn't know.

But everyone knew that he was their only chance.

Over two hours had passed when the communication was finally complete. The countdown for Clark's rendezvous with the asteroid slipped under one hundred minutes.

The radio crackled again as they poured tea from the fresh tray that had been delivered to the room. It sounded like, "Your daughter's here," but Clark figured he'd misheard.

Evan stood. "I'll be back in a few minutes," he said.

When he'd gone, Lois put her hand on Clark's knee. "You doing all right?" she asked.

"I think so," Clark said.

"You don't have to do this," she said. "If you think there is only a minimal chance for success, you can say so."

"I do have to do it," he said. "There's too much at stake."

He saw her fear threaten to overwhelm her and watched her fight to control it. "Please come back to me, Clark," she said desperately.

"I will," he promised.

"We have so much we still need to do."

"I'll come back," he promised. "I won't leave you."

She smiled bravely and squeezed his knee.

The door opened, and Evan walked in, carrying what looked like a shiny blue jumpsuit and a large flowing piece of satiny red material.

He shut the door and stood there, looking acutely uncomfortable. His eyes dwelled on the garment he was carrying. He laughed nervously. "My daughter's project," he said. He thrust the jumpsuit at Clark. "Your disguise."

Clark's mouth fell open. "I'm supposed to wear *that*?" he gasped.

"We asked Layla to design something that a comic hero might wear." He shrugged. "Guess there's no telling what a teenager will dream up."

Clark took the garment and examined it in horror. The material was stretchy. It would probably fit him, but it was going to cling to his body like a second skin. His modesty would be hopelessly compromised.

But Evan hadn't finished. From his pocket, he withdrew a pair of red underpants. He held them out to Clark, his face strung with embarrassment.

Clark took them. And stood there, holding a slip of red material and not knowing what to do now.

Lois stepped forward. "We'll call you when we're ready," she said to Evan.

He didn't need to be told twice. He scuttled through the door and closed it firmly.

Clark looked from the costume to Lois. "I *can't* wear this," he said. "I'm going to look like a joke."

"You won't look like a joke," she said. "You'll look like a hero."

Not any hero that Clark had ever seen.

Lois took the eyesore from him and held it up to inspect it. "Aww," she said. "Layla made you a cape."

"I am *not* wearing a cape."

Lois lowered the jumpsuit. "We don't have any choice," she said. "You need a disguise. Clark Kent cannot do this."

She was right. Clark just wished they hadn't entrusted his wardrobe to a teenage girl.

"Do you want me to help you get into it?" Lois asked.

No, he didn't. But he needed someone. And getting changed in front of Shadbolt was unthinkable. "Thanks," Clark replied, trying not to sound ungracious.

"OK," Lois said, suddenly very business-like. "You probably need to take off your clothes." She examined the jumpsuit more closely. "I think you should put this on feet-first."

Clark removed his watch and took his wallet from his pocket. He gave them to Lois, and she put them in her bag. He peeled off his sweater and began undoing the buttons of his shirt, trying to tell himself that this was supposed to be the easy bit. In less than two hours, he would launch himself into space with the intention of careening into a giant asteroid.

When his shirt was unbuttoned, he sat down and removed his shoes and socks.

He stood, glanced to Lois for support, saw understanding in her soft smile, and slipped the shirt from his upper body. When he looked back to Lois, her eyes were affixed to his face.

He undid his jeans and stepped out of them.

He took the suit from Lois and sat down again. There was no way he was going to wear the red underpants. He just wasn't going to do it.

He slipped his feet into the suit, working as quickly as his trembling fingers would allow. He stood up and pulled it to his waist.

"Hold on," Lois said. "I think the straps for the cape go under the suit."

"I think the cape is a ridiculous idea," Clark said.

"It will look spectacular when you're flying." She held up the straps of the cape, and Clark slipped his arms into them. He stretched the suit over his upper body and pushed his arms into the sleeves while Lois held the ends of the cape.

She stepped closer and pulled up the zipper, causing the suit to tighten around his torso. She turned him around and looked him up and down. "I think you need the red shorts," she said.

They weren't shorts; they were underwear. And he was *not* going to wear them. "No."

Lois picked up the offending scrap of red material. "They have a cute yellow belt," she insisted. "They're shorts. Put them on."

"On *top* of the suit?" he stammered.

"Yup."

He took the 'shorts' and put them on. Then he stood before Lois, awaiting her verdict.

"Wow," she said. "You look sensational."

Clark checked her face, sure he would find barely contained amusement. He didn't. He found genuine admiration.

He looked down. As he'd suspected, the blue material hugged every curve of his body. He was one slither of spandex from being stark naked.

And he was supposed to appear in public - dressed like this!

Lois reached for his face and removed his glasses. She put them in her bag and contemplated him again. She opened the door, and Clark heard her ask Evan for some hair gel.

Two minutes later, it was delivered to the room. The final piece of his outfit arrived, too - a pair of knee-high, fire-engine-red boots.

He was going to look like a buffoon!

Lois put some gel in his hair, gave him a severe side part, and plastered his hair to his scalp. Clark put on the boots and stood up.

Lois gasped.

Yep, he looked like a dressed-up dolt.

But Lois wasn't laughing. "Wow," she said softly. "Wow. You look exactly right."

"For a costume party, maybe," he grumbled.

"No," she said, shaking her head. "I admit that I had some doubts when Evan first showed us the outfit. But now you're wearing it ... You look stunning." She put her hand on his chest - where the blue material clung so tightly, the curve of his pec muscles was patently obvious. "You are going to be a sensation."

A knock sounded, and Evan's voice said, "Are you ready? Can I come in?"

"Yes, Evan," Lois said. "Come in."

The door opened, and Clark wanted to hide in the corner. Or under the table.

Evan walked in and stopped. His mouth dropped. "Oh my," he said. "Oh my."

"It looks stupid, doesn't it?" Clark said.

"No," Evan said with hushed reverence. "It looks exactly right."

There was movement behind Evan, and Scardino appeared, carrying a folder. His reaction was the same. Shock, closely followed by awe.

"Are you ready to go and face the scientists?" Scardino asked when he'd recovered enough to speak. "They want to fit you with the oxygen tank and do a few rudimentary tests."

"Can Lois come?"

Lois slipped her hand into his. "I'll wait here for you," she said.

"I'll be back before ... you know?"

She nodded. "See you soon."

With a final squeeze of her hand, Clark followed Evan out of the room.

Out of the room and into a new life. A new persona. Openly alien. Openly friend.

||_||

Lois watched Clark stride through the doorway, his cape swinging majestically.

Scardino shut the door. "Are you doing OK?" he asked.

"I'm worried," Lois admitted. "I'm worried he'll get hurt."

"He caught a fired bullet from close range."

So he knew about that. "This isn't a bullet," Lois said anxiously. "It's a hurtling mass of rock."

"We are doing everything to make this as safe as possible for him."

"Do you think anyone will catch on that the person who walked in with 'Ms Everitt' is the alien?"

"Menzies concocted a story," Scardino said. "We changed the details of your vehicle's licence plate. If anyone asks questions, the answers - with supporting evidence - are in place."

Lois's natural tendency was to wonder, but there wasn't room in her mind to give much consideration to anything other than Clark.

"Clark is an impressive man," Scardino said. "He'll handle all the scientists with aplomb."

"And the asteroid?" Lois said. "Do you think he'll be able to handle that, too?"

Scardino didn't answer, and Lois knew why. He didn't know. No one did. Not even Clark.

"Has the press conference happened?" Lois asked. "Does everyone know?"

"They delayed it. Menzies is hoping Clark will appear."

"He won't do it," Lois said hurriedly. "Please don't let them try to push him into things that are too hard for him."

"They won't," Scardino said. "They are in awe of him. Whatever he asks for, they'll comply. No one will force him into anything." He sat down at the table, gestured for Lois to join him, and opened the folder. He picked up the top sheet of paper. "Here is his birth certificate," he said.

Lois looked at the piece of paper: Clark Kent, male, born 4th March 1966.

"I gave him my brother, Tom's, birthday," Scardino said. "I called his mother Mary Clark and his father George Roberts." Scardino picked up two more sheets. "Here are their death certificates."

Lois took them. Grief swamped her, even knowing they were falsified. Clark *had* lost his real parents.

"Here are the adoption papers, dated June of the same year," he said.

"Do you know that is when Clark started living with the Kents?" Lois asked. "Or is it a guess?"

"I know," he replied with a small smile.

"How do you know?" Lois asked, thinking there must have been something in Trask's notes.

"The day I went to Smallville to collect Moyne's body, I had coffee in the cafe. The waitress, Maisie, was bursting with all the town news. I changed my order from coffee to a hamburger with fries, and in return, I got the entire Smallville version of Kent history."

Lois managed a smile.

Next, Scardino brought out a bankbook and card and handed them to Lois. She didn't open the bankbook. What price did they place on seven years of a person's life? How much value did they give to someone who was their only hope?

"It's not much," Scardino said. "Consider it a down-payment. We'll talk to Clark about the rest once he's home again."

"Has the card been activated?"

"Yes. The PIN is the first four digits of your agency number. Clark can change it when he gets back."

Lois opened the book and gasped. Seventy thousand dollars. "How did you arrive at that figure?" she asked.

"Ten thousand for each year," Scardino said. "It's not enough. But if the US government gives Clark Kent seventy thousand dollars, it might not be noticed, and even if it is, it can be explained. Seven hundred thousand is more noticeable, less explainable."

Lois stared at the five-figure sum. It was a lot of money. But after what Clark had suffered, it seemed a pittance.

"It's mainly to show that we are serious about trying to undo the wrongs," Scardino said.

Lois wondered if they would have been so serious without the asteroid, but she didn't voice her doubts. Scardino had made mistakes, but he was trying to make amends. He'd covered for them when they'd run away, he'd lied for them - and that was before he knew the earth was under threat.

"We haven't found Mrs Kent," Scardino said. "As you would understand, whatever happens, this will be the biggest story of all time. We don't want a sudden search for Mrs Kent to coincide with the appearance of the alien in case someone makes the connection. Menzies has committed to work with me to find her, but we don't want to jeopardise Clark's chance to have a normal life."

"But you *will* find her?"

"Neither of us will rest until she is found."

"Thank you."

Scardino looked down at the folder. "The apology and statement regarding the deaths of the agents will arrive - signed by the President - within days." There was one remaining official-looking paper. Scardino picked it up and considered it for a long moment. "Lois?" he said.

"Yes?"

"Forgive me if I've misread the situation, but it appears to me that you and Clark ... you have something special."

"We do."

He diffidently offered her the paper, and Lois gasped. It was a marriage certificate, proclaiming the marriage of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. It was dated a week ago. "Why?" she breathed.

"Firstly, I want to assure you that this can be annulled with no record of it once Clark has returned home."

"Then why do it?"

"If Clark has a will, it probably pre-dates his capture," Scardino said.

"You think he's going to die?" Lois demanded.

"No. I'm covering all the bases."

"I don't want anything," Lois raged. "I can't save the world. Clark can."

"You're the one who saved Clark."

"I still don't understand the need for the marriage certificate."

"If ... if Clark were able to successfully divert the asteroid ... but didn't survive, I want you to be looked after."

"You think money can make up for losing him?" Lois cried with disgust.

"This certificate gives you more than money," Scardino said. He shuffled uncomfortably. "It gives you the rights of a wife. The right to have a say about his ... his body. The funeral. The farm. While Martha Kent remains missing, Clark has no next of kin."

"I don't even want to think about what will happen if Clark doesn't make it," Lois said shakily.

Scardino rested his hand on hers for a fleeting moment. "I know," he said. "So just believe me when I tell you that everything will be smoother if you are legally Clark's wife. The money will be yours. I know you don't want it, but it opens possibilities for ... ways to remember him. All of that will be in your control. And that's how I think Clark would want it."

His reasoning was sound, but it didn't alleviate Lois's intense aversion to cheapening her love for Clark to a convenience in the event of his death. "Don't tell him about this," she said.

"OK," Scardino agreed. "When he's home ... if you want it annulled, all you have to do is say so. On the other hand ..."

"Now that Clark has an official identity, he will be able to marry if he chooses to."

Scardino reached for the remote control, and the television hissed to life.

"Who's doing the press conference?" Lois asked.

"Menzies."

"Menzies?" Yet even as she questioned the choice, Lois realised that Menzies was the perfect person. He would field difficult questions. He knew the truth and knew what could be revealed and what had to stay secret. And he had thirty years of experience in dealing with sensitive information.

"He's a hard man and a formidable rival," Scardino said. "But he's also a good man to have on your side."

"And he's definitely on our side?" Lois asked. "Despite what happened to Moyne?"

"I don't know exactly how Moyne fell from grace in Menzies' eyes," Scardino said. "But I'm sure Menzies now knows who killed Deller and Bortolotto."

The tall, imposing figure of Eric Menzies strode to the microphone. In his steady, no-nonsense manner, he began with the Daily Planet story, admitting that he had been the senior agent quoted. He said that he had not been able to reveal then what he could reveal now - for reasons that would become clear. The alien hadn't died; the story had been an attempt to avoid a public panic.

He went on to outline the alien's 'imprisonment' as being more accurately described as a testing period, during which officials had worked with the alien to determine his true intentions regarding the people of Earth.

Then Menzies looked directly into the camera, and in his steely voice, he proclaimed, "After a thorough investigation, we determined beyond a doubt that the alien means us no harm. He has many physical advantages, but he has no intention of using them to harm the citizens of Planet Earth."

"How can we know that for sure?" Someone off-screen fired the question - presumably a member of the gathered media.

Menzies didn't falter. "Having determined that the alien is not a threat, we were willing to consent to his wish to live anonymously as a regular member of society," he said. A clamour of questions erupted, and Menzies held up his hand for quiet. "However, that situation changed when our scientists discovered that a large asteroid is on a direct path to collide with the earth."

There was a stretch of stunned silence. Then the commotion rose again.

Menzies held up his hand. "Our best scientists have implemented every possible means to avert this disaster, which will result in a horrific death toll." He paused for the shocked gasp he'd probably known would come. "All attempts have failed. We have one shot left."

"When is the collision going to happen?" someone asked. "How long do we have?"

"About eighteen hours," Menzies replied.

The silence was heavy with horror. Then the jumble of panicked questions rose again.

Menzies waited, eyeing the unseen questioners. When they silenced, he spoke again. "Our final chance is for the super-powered alien to do what our most advanced technology has been unable to do."

"He's built a mega-powered missile," someone guessed.

"No," Menzies said, pausing for effect. "He's going to fly into space and attempt to change the course of the asteroid."

"Fly? In what rocket?"

"In no rocket," Menzies said calmly. "By his own power."

"Into *space*?" someone screeched.

"To take out an asteroid?"

Menzies waited a moment for the cry to die down. "I have asked our friend from another planet if he will make a brief appearance before you," he said. "He is understandably nervous about the task ahead. He is also very conscious of his differences and unsure of the reception he will receive. I'm asking you - the members of the media - to set the tone by showing respect for our visitor."

"Can we ask him questions?"

"No. Not today. After the completion of the operation, it might be possible."

"What's his name?"

"He has chosen not to reveal his name from his home planet." Menzies' eyes travelled over the assembled media. "I'm sure that someone from this gathered mass of wordsmiths can think of a name."

"If he's going to take out an asteroid, he must be super strong."

"We'll call him 'The Super Man'.

"Or perhaps just 'Superman'. That sounds friendlier."

There was the sound of movement off to the side, and an audible gasp rose from the unseen crowd.

Clark stepped into screen, his face expressionless, although Lois could see every nuance of apprehension under his carefully constructed mask. Her heart cried for him, and she yearned to be with him.

"Is there anything you wish to say?" Menzies asked.

Lois cursed under her breath. Menzies had handled this so well until now.

Clark slowly stepped to the microphone, his shoulders straight and his head up. "I came to your planet because my planet was facing certain destruction," he said in a deep, steady voice. "I understand your fear and uncertainty. I pledge that I will do everything in my power to keep you safe."

Another cry arose - many cries of 'Superman' and questions about how he intended to overpower an asteroid. Then the voices died away, overridden by enthusiastic applause.

For a second, Clark's shock dissolved his aloofness as his eyes scanned the cheering crowd. He nodded tersely and walked away.

Menzies returned to the microphone, and the applause died down. "The radar image of Superman's attempt to divert the asteroid will be televised live," he said. "I'm sure all humanity will join me in wishing him a successful mission and a safe return to our planet."

Menzies strode away, and the noisy confusion rose again.

Scardino muted the television. "Test One passed with flying colours," he said.

Lois gathered the papers into the folder and closed it. "I think Test Two will be a lot more difficult," she said grimly.

"I think he might find an asteroid less daunting than a crowd of chomping reporters."

The door opened, and Clark walked in with Evan. Scardino stood. "We'll leave you alone," he said.

"You have five minutes," Evan said.

The two men left. The door closed.

Lois stepped into Clark's arms and held him closely.

"I'll come back to you," he murmured.

"I want to be with you forever."

"I do, too," Clark said. He settled his hands on her neck, and his thumbs caressed her jaw. "I love you, Lois," he said. "I think I loved you from the very beginning."

"I love you, Clark."

Uncertainty flooded his expression, and she waited for him to speak. "Would ... would you like me to kiss you now?" he asked.

"No."

"No?"

"If you kiss me now, it is going to be borne of desperation and fear," she said. "It will feel like we're scared that you won't return."

"Lois ..."

"I don't want you to face the asteroid believing that I have doubts."

"I have doubts."

"I know you can do this." She glided her thumb across his mouth. "The first moment we are alone when this is done ... *that* is when I want you to kiss me." She smiled up to him. "And you had better get in quickly, or I will kiss you first."

His smile was short-lived. "Lois ... there is so much I want to say to you."

"It's all right," she soothed. "You have all the time in the world."

"I have two minutes."

"When this is over, we will both have all the time in the world."

Clark lifted one hand from her shoulder and touched his forefinger to his cheek. "Kiss me here," he said. "So I can carry something of you with me."

"You will carry all of my love in your heart."

"And that will be the strongest part of me."

Lois stretched onto her toes and lingered a kiss to his cheek.

"Thank you," he breathed.

She sank back into the strength of his arms. They held each other, wanting time to stop.

Too soon, a knock sounded on the door.

"I love you, Clark," Lois whispered.

He touched the place she had kissed. "I love you," he said.

The door opened, and Scardino entered. "Are you ready?" he asked Clark.

"Yes."

"Come with me. Evan Shadbolt will stay with Lois."

Clark walked out. Evan walked in.

The door shut.

They sat down.

And the countdown began.

||_||

Fifteen seconds to impact.

Lois's impossibly knotted stomach tightened further.

Ten seconds.

She gripped the folder, her eyes glued to the tiny dot on the radar that represented the man she loved. One tiny dot, approaching a much larger bulk.

Six seconds.

The two dots converged.

Lois held her breath.

Three seconds.

Two.

One.

Impact.

The large dot wobbled.

The tiny dot disappeared.

Lois's lungs demanded oxygen.

She sucked in air.

The tiny dot was gone.

Had it worked?

Was Clark all right?

Where was he?

Lois clutched Evan's arm. "He's all right," she cried. "He has to be all right." She jumped from her seat. "I have to find out what happened to him."

Evan got to the door first and barred her way. "No, Lois," he said. "You can't leave this room. No one can know you're here."

"I have to know. I have to know what happened to Clark."

"As soon as they know, someone will come and tell you."

Lois slumped into her seat and stared at the screen.

Evan picked up the remote control and turned off the television.

They waited.

A minute passed. The longest minute of Lois's life.

Another minuted passed. And another.

Then the door flung open, and Scardino strode in.

Lois flew from her seat and grabbed his shoulders with both hands. "What happened?" she screamed. "Where is he?"

"We don't know," Scardino said. "We lost him."