Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#78379 04/11/11 08:18 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Newspaper headlines aren't my thing, and I really struggled with the few I had, so if anyone has any better ideas...? Feel free to suggest some!

I hope you all enjoy, and thanks for commenting!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I loved this chapter. You accomplished so much here.

No wonder he shook long after she did following those encounters. No wonder he held her so tightly and stared at her so long and followed her so closely after any situation where she came so near to the end. No wonder he had been so thoroughly terrified of his own helplessness and her mortality that he had once been led to separate himself from her.
I love the dawning of her finally understanding what Clark goes through. Very well done.

I loved the ending also. It was sweet. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I agree with Laurach. I love Lois getting a new perspective on how Clark views her being in danger.

"How do you do this?" she demanded, more in sympathy with him now than she ever had been before. "How can you think I'm going to die and *not* break down afterward? How can you be so strong?"
I also really like the fact that while you don't minimize the fact that they constantly deal with danger, it isn't some black shadow in their lives. It's part of who they are.

This was sweet:

Lois looked back down at the paper, filled to overflowing with letters from Metropolitans who had sent in their stories of rescues and loved ones returned to them and inspiration gleaned from Superman's actions
What's next for Perry?

Joan

J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
So beautiful written and powerful.

Was this what he went through every time he saw her dangle over the jaws of death? Was this terrible, helpless feeling of utter inevitability and complete powerlessness what he experienced each time he had to swoop in and pull her from death's door? No wonder he shook long after she did following those encounters. No wonder he held her so tightly and stared at her so long and followed her so closely after any situation where she came so near to the end. No wonder he had been so thoroughly terrified of his own helplessness and her mortality that he had once been led to separate himself from her.
Just love this. I wish Lois had come to her sense and realized this during the series. Why would he feel any different when she was in danger?

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have to quote that passage too:

No wonder he held her so tightly and stared at her so long and followed her so closely after any situation where she came so near to the end. No wonder he had been so thoroughly terrified of his own helplessness and her mortality that he had once been led to separate himself from her.
Because he knows, all to well, how fragile a human life actually is. Because he knows the bitter truth that he is so much stronger and invulnerable than Lois. Because at any moment, her life could be snuffed out. How does he dare to love?

"What matters are the moments--moments of happiness and bliss and contentment and friendship and passion. Even the moments of danger and fear and all-consuming relief. All of those combined compose our life, and taken altogether they're beautiful. Perfect. Each moment with you is a miracle."
Wow. You definitely win the award for Most Poetic Writer. This is so well written.

And I loved the pillow fight!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
loved this part--lyrical, romantic and yet not mushy. just perfect descriptive writing. well done!!!

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I agree with the award for the Most Poetic Writer!

I just loved this part and how, as the others have noted, you didn't reduce the fact that they constantly deal with danger, but that it is a part of who they are - Lois for being an investigative journalist and close friend of Superman and Clark for also being considered as a friend of Superman and as Superman himself.

Looking forward to the conclusion! (though sad that it has come to an end) frown

smile

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I’ve always been very sympathetic to Clark’s plight concerning the fragility of human life and the vulnerability of those around him, and since it’s a huge part of who he is and how he views the world, I thought it was important for Lois to understand that. This was one of my favorite scenes to write, so I’m thrilled that you all appreciated it.

The fact that danger is part of their every-day lives is also a large component of their world, but I think Lois puts it well in ‘Bob and Carol and Lois and Clark,’ when she says (quoted from memory): “We just have to accept the fact that we’re both in high-risk professions, and we’re the target of evil plots.” Besides, I’d hate to think of them both resenting or being dissatisfied with their life. smile

Thank you for the comment about Poetic Writer and the description of the story as lyrical. I do like my writing to flow, but I hadn’t thought of it particularly in those terms. What a compliment!

Thanks so much for all your encouragement and support!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And now for Lois’s finale clap
Was this what he went through every time he saw her dangle over the jaws of death? Was this terrible, helpless feeling of utter inevitability and complete powerlessness what he experienced each time he had to swoop in and pull her from death's door? No wonder he shook long after she did following those encounters. No wonder he held her so tightly and stared at her so long and followed her so closely after any situation where she came so near to the end. No wonder he had been so thoroughly terrified of his own helplessness and her mortality that he had once been led to separate himself from her.
Not that it will change her.

"Until the next time," she finished for him.

Clark's smile was so astonishing, so unexpected, so amazing, that Lois caught her breath. "With you, Lois, there's always a next time. But that doesn't matter. What matters are the moments--moments of happiness and bliss and contentment and friendship and passion. Even the moments of danger and fear and all-consuming relief. All of those combined compose our life, and taken altogether they're beautiful. Perfect. Each moment with you is a miracle."
laugh and awww…

Another well-done conclusion clap
Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Realizing what Clark goes through won’t change her, you’re probably right…but then, do we really want it to? smile

Thanks!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard