This didn't quite make it to 22 parts. But I finally managed to get it all posted. Thanks to everyone who has kept reading. Double thanks to those still commenting. Even though I don't remark in the feedback folders, I do appreciate it. It's what keeps the writers producing new stories.

Enjoy!

++++

"You're sure I can't come?" Lane asked as he stared wide eyed at Clark.

"We've had this talk, son."

"I know. I just..." He looked down to keep his dad from seeing the tears in his eyes. He just hated to see his dad leave at all.

Clark reached out and lifted his boy's chin so he could see his eyes. He hated to leave Lane, but he and Lois needed this time together. "How about a short flight before I go?"

"Really?" His face brightened a bit. He'd almost forgotten Clark had said his powers were back. Both his parents had been planning this trip most of the day. He knew they needed alone time, but it didn't make him feel any better.

"Really." Clark smiled brightly as he lifted his son into his arms. "Hey, Lois!" She was still upstairs gathering her things.

"Yeah?"

He waited for her to appear at the top of the stairs. "I'm taking Lane for a short flight."

"Okay." She was thrilled for her son, remembering the first time she'd flown with Superman.

Clark took Lane outside. "Hold on. We'll have to shoot straight up pretty fast. And we'll travel quickly until we reach an area where it'll be safe."

"Where no one will see us?"

"I'm sorry, son, but if others found out..."

"I know, Daddy. I'll hang on tight." He wrapped his arms around his dad's neck. "Ready!"

"Here we go!" The duo shot into the air and headed west. It wasn't until they were well out over the Pacific Ocean that he slowed down.

Lane looked around him in wonder. His mom had told him stories of flying with his dad, but to do it was even better. "This is great!"

"Out of all the things I can do, I enjoy this the most."

"I thought you enjoyed being my daddy the most."

Clark stopped in mid-air, looking at his son with a serious expression. "Being your daddy is like breathing, Lane. I wouldn't survive without you. We have a lot of time to make up for, but never doubt that you're the *best* thing I've ever done."

The little boy smiled bright enough to light the world. He sure loved this man. "Show me more!"

With that, Clark once again began to move them through the sky.

It was nearly an hour before Clark and Lane returned to the farm. They landed softly near the back door.

"Thanks, Dad. That was great!"

"We'll go again when Mom and I get back."

"Do you think I'll be able to fly like you?"

Clark stared at him. He'd theoretically known that was possible, yet he'd never given it much thought. Did he want Lane to fly? Part of him did, wanted him to experience the joy he had the first time he'd crossed the sky. But another part wanted nothing more than for Lane to be just a normal kid, then an even more normal adult. He kneeled in front of the boy and reached out to take his hand. "Maybe you will. We just don't know. But if you do, I'll be right here to help you."

"I know, Dad."

"You're a good kid," Clark told him and reached out to ruffle his hair.

"You're a good dad," Lane replied before he held up his hand, indicating he wanted a high five.

Clark didn't disappoint. Their hands slapped together with a loud clap.

"I'm ready, Clark," Lois called from the kitchen.

"Well," Clark said.

"Guess you have to go."

"Yeah." He just looked at his son. This was harder than he thought it would be.

Lane closed the gap and hugged him as hard as he could. Clark wrapped his arms around his son even as overwhelming love wrapped itself around his heart.

"I love you, Lane," Clark whispered after a moment.

The boy pulled back to look at his dad. That was the first time he'd said that to him. His small hand came up to cover Clark's large cheek. "I love you, Daddy." And he leaned forward to kiss his father's lips.

Clark was stunned. He'd wanted to show Lane a lot more affection but wasn't really sure how the boy would take it. He lifted both hands to cup his son's small head when the child pulled back. "Do you know how much you mean to your daddy?"

"You mean a lot to me," Lane told him. "Come right back here on Monday."

Pulling the boy to him for another hug, Clark assured him, "Right back here."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Lane drew back to smile at him. "Will you bring me something?"

"Absolutely!" Clark placed another kiss on his son's lips before he rose to his feet. For the first time he noticed Lois standing on the porch. She wiped away tears before she pointed a thumb behind her.

"Bag's ready. Packed light just like you wanted."

"Okay." Clark looked back down at Lane. "Take care of my folks for me."

"I'm your man!" Lane ran up the stairs to stand just outside the screen door, beside his mother. "Take care of my daddy," he told his mom. "And bring him back to me."

"Oh, honey. He'll be back." Lois leaned to place a kiss on his forehead. "Love you."

"Love you," the boy replied before he pushed her toward the stairs. "Go on. Have fun."

"See you on Monday."

"'Kay!"

Lois walked out to where Clark stood. He disappeared for a brief moment before he was back.

"Took our bags out," he answered the question in her eyes. She nodded and wrapped her arms around his neck. He looked over at Lane again. With a wave, they were gone.

Beautiful was the only word to describe the place Clark had brought them to. Their cabana was nestled in a sparse group of vegetation, no more than fifty yards from the ocean. Clark had told her that when the tide was in, the water was only a few feet from the door. She supposed that was why the small building sat atop stilts.

He'd indeed made sure the place was stocked. They had enough food for a week! There was fresh food as well as packaged staples.

Their home for the next two days consisted of just one large room. There was not a kitchen, but a refridgerator kept items from spoiling. The covered porch held a very nice grill and there was a cabinet with dishes. And more than enough food to keep them from starving, she decided.

A large bed sat along the back wall, facing a wall of windows so that they'd be able to truly appreciate the rolling waves. Only a half wall separated the sleeping area from the bath area. If she'd had any reservations around Clark, they'd all be disspelled this weekend.

They'd put their things away and decided to walk along the beach. They were quite some distance from another cabana and on the opposite side of the island from the small village. It was part of a chain, Lois had discovered as she and Clark talked about the island, on their walk. He'd discovered it years before he'd met her, while he was traveling. And he'd waited until the day there was someone special enough in his life to bring back.

"We should have made good on our promise," Lois said to break the short silence that had overtaken them.

"What?" he asked, not sure what she meant.

"We'd said we'd come to paradise to write our memoirs. Remember?"

He did remember their long ago conversation. They'd said things, mostly to have something to say at the time. What he wouldn't give to have that chance again? They would, indeed, shut themselves away from the world.

"So many..."

"Don't say it, Lois," he interrupted her. She'd been about to say regrets. It was entirely too late for those now. They were building a new life... together, and they were on the brink of the happiness they'd denied themselves before. He wouldn't make those mistakes again.

"You're right." She grinned at him, content to move forward. They continued to walk for a few minutes before Clark broke the silence.

"I wanted to ask you something," Clark said after several hundred yards along the prestine white sand.

"You can ask me anything," Lois assured him.

"Would it be okay if I took Lane on a trip before school starts?"

"You can take Lane anywhere... except New Krypton."

Clark chuckled softly. "That's the last place I want him to go. I was thinking maybe a camping trip or field hopping."

"Field hopping?"

"A trip to several professional baseball fields. My dad and I did that when I was ten. I'll never forget it."

"I think a trip alone would be wonderful for you two."

"Of course, I'd have to get my driver's license again. We'll fly some... a lot, but I want that connection from being cooped up in the car together. Gives us a lot of time to talk."

Lois stopped, forcing Clark to as well. "That's a great idea."

"I think he'll enjoy it."

"I think his father will enjoy it," Lois told him with a sly smile.

"Yeah. I will." He leaned to kiss her. "I know something else I'll enjoy." Her giggles could be heard as Clark leaned to nuzzle his face against her neck and tickle her ribs. She pushed away from him and started to run down the beach. Clark shook his head and ran after her. How had he ever survived all those days without her?

Clark came up behind Lois where she sat brushing her hair. He gently removed the item from her hand, then leaned over to kiss her neck. "Make love to me, Lois," he whispered.

She could get used to that, she thought as she stood and wrapped her arms around Clark's neck. He’d said that to her more than once this weekend, but every time moved her beyond belief.

Slowly, she took the lead in their encounter. Sure, steady hands moved over hard muscle as she took him to heights he'd once thought he’d never reach again. Together, they found their way home at long last.

They'd spent two entire days making love, but Lois still found it hard to keep her hands off of Clark on the flight back home. She’d fully expected him to propose sometime over the weekend, but he hadn’t. In fact, he’d talked about their wedding but not one mention of his ‘proper’ proposal or an engagement ring. She’d begun to wonder if maybe she should buck tradition and offer him a ring.

"Clark, this isn't the way home," she pointed out when she noticed an unfamiliar part of the country stretch out before them.

"I know," was all he said as he continued his little detour. They landed on the roof of the Daily Planet in Metropolis and he set her down on her feet.

"What are we doing here?"

"You'll see." He took her hand and together they made their way down the stairs to the elevator. When the doors opened to the newsroom floor, the commotion stopped and everyone began to clap.

"Clark?"

He didn't say a word, just lead her down to where Perry was standing. For the first time she noticed that everyone was there. Her folks, his parents, Alice, Lane and...

"Jimmy!"

"Lois!" The young man swung her up into his arms. "Ah, man, it's so good to see you," he told her when he drew back to look at her.

"It's good to see you, too." Her eyes swept his body. "You look fantastic!"

"So do you. And a mommy!" Jimmy glanced over at Lane. "He's gorgeous. Looks just like you and CK. And smart... We spent the day together yesterday. The kid's a natural on the basketball court."

How long had Lane been in the city? she thought as Jimmy continued to praise her son. And why?

"He's great, Lois," Jimmy told her earnestly.

"Thank you." She gave in to the impulse to hug him again. This man was almost like the brother she'd never had. She'd missed him, and unlike Clark, she hadn't seen him since *she'd* left. "I should have never stayed away so long," she whispered, more of those regrets welling up deep within her.

"Shh," was the only reply she received as the younger man pulled her just a tad bit closer. He'd missed this woman more than he'd thought. It was easy to understand why Clark loved her so much. They'd only been friends yet just her mere presence seemed to close a gaping hole he hadn't realized exited within him.

Jimmy slowly drew away from Lois as Perry calmed the chaos around them. "You're probably wondering why you're here," he began. "Well..." He unfolded the paper in his hands and held it up to her.

'Homecoming!' was the sixty-point headline across the front. And the bi-line belonged to Clark Kent.

Lois glanced over at him as she took the paper and began to read. In the article, he introduced his trip briefly before moving on to why his homecoming was so special. He spoke of his parents, his friends, but mostly of her and Lane. The piece ended: 'Lois Lane, will you marry me?'

She stared up at him with tear filled eyes. The short story he'd written was absolutely terrific, proving why he'd won those awards.

"I have to say, Lois," Perry said when she didn’t speak. "I've received a ton of calls about this piece. Every major newspaper in the country wants to pick up the series. Folks are talking about Clark here restoring the prospective of the modern man." He grinned over at the other man. "And they all want to know your answer."

"So how 'bout it, honey?" Clark said as he pulled a ring she'd only seen once from his pocket and kneeled. "Are we going to give them something to read?"

"Yes!" she breathed and leaned over to kiss him soundly.

Clark slipped the ring onto her finger, kissed it softly, then stood to take her in his arms. This time the applause was punctuated with the sound of popping corks.

"Hear that, people?" Perry bellowed. "That's the sound of success!"

Lois and Clark were swallowed up by the thrilled crowd of family and friends. They'd all ridden the rollercoaster life with them, and it was time it finally changed courses onto more calm waters.

++++

"Are you sure she'll like it?"

"I'm sure."

"I don't know, Dad."

Clark smiled down at his oldest son. Lane had recently turned twelve. His black hair was even shorter now and thicker. His eyes were the same color as his father's. His smile was the same. But his attitude was all Lois. He was fire and ice wrapped into a tiny frame that rarely slowed down.

He had been introduced to his father through his mother and others that had known and loved that super man. He'd lived without the male guidance he desperately needed for nearly the first six years of his life. But he’d hardly been away from his side since. Clark had indeed learned the business of farming, transforming the Kent farm into a very lucrative enterprise. He'd also written about his trip, just as he'd promised Perry when he'd left for New Krypton. His 'Homecoming' series had thrust him to the fore front of the news world and had also earned him another Bailey, Kerth, and Merriweather award.

But Clark was not alone in his success. Jimmy had earned several awards of his own for his writing as well as his photography. The younger man had also become a member of the family. He, too, had chosen to leave behind the fast pace of the city and moved to Smallville. Bringing along his mother, they chose a house in town- across the street from the Lanes- so they'd be near the new business they opened. 'Mama's Passion' was a book store and coffee shop just off the square, and it was an immediate success among the locals. While Jimmy continued to take occassional trips and write travel pieces for the Planet, his time on a distant planet had also changed him so that his former life could have never satisfied him again.

It was a new life; one with a slower pace, but more satisfying than any Jimmy or Clark could have ever imagined. Farming had afforded Clark the opportunity to truly get to know and care for his family. He was there through every milestone and memory. He was the one in the delivery room when another dark haired little boy joined the Kent clan. And just recently, one more.

Lois claimed having a house full of boys was her penance for missing Clark so much over the years. Clark would laugh and tell her that God had broken the mold when he’d made her. There was no way another little Lois could occupy the same space.

Father and son stood in the middle of the game room that had been constructed recently, admiring their handiwork. Clark had painted the wall, but added a special border- his sons' handprints.

"Didn't you enjoy playing in the paint?" Clark asked his helper.

"Yeah. That's why I'm worried about what Mom thinks. Nothing this much fun can be very good!"

Clark laughed loudly at his son before reaching out to swipe his paint brush across his cheek. "How 'bout this? Is this fun?"

"Yeah," Lane shouted as he reached out to stamp a handprint on Clark's arm.

Lois found them sitting in the middle of the floor covered in paint. "What are you two doing?!"

"Painting the game room?" came Clark's reply, an expression of complete innocence on his face.

"Uh huh..." She moved into the room to usher Lane into the shower. On the way out, the boy stuck his tongue out at his dad.

Clark laughed again before turning to look at the small prints on the wall. His sons... Jonathan Lane, Samuel Clark, and James Perry- the culmination of the incredible love he had for his wife. The love they had for one another.

His eyes drifted over to the wedding picture that hang on a wall of family portraits. That had been one of the best days of his life.

{{{{He was so nervous that he was sure everyone could hear his trembling knees.

"Relax, son," his father told him as they waited for Lois to come out of the bungalow.

They'd opted to have their wedding at their bungalow in the Caribbean- they'd purchased their getaway place- right along with Lane's sixth birthday. Bare feet and comfortable summer attire, along with a few friends and their family was all they needed to share their special moment with them. Clark's 'Homecoming' series had already announced their union to the world.

He had to look at Lane to remain calm enough to wait this out.

Then finally she was there. Beautiful, mesmerizing eyes... That's what he remembered most about that day. That beautiful stare that seemed to pierce right through him, straight into his very soul.

'Into tomorrow and beyond... in work and play... our home, my heart... I'll take you everywhere.'}}}}

Those were some of the words he'd said to her that day. And those feelings- the way he'd felt that day- that was still what he felt today. The fire raged between them as strong as it always had. One touch could send him reeling. One kiss and he was lost. Just as Lois had done once, across space and back again, Clark had taken Lois everywhere.