Parts 1-19 can be found Here

Part 20
There’s Always Something

By Xanabee

Jimmy Olsen was half lying, half sitting against freshly fluffed pillows with a dejected look on his face while he stared out the window of his hospital room. His left leg, encased in plaster from his toes up to his hip, was sticking out in front of him. His right hand lay idle on his lap. He held his left arm, also encased in plaster from his elbow to his wrist, against his chest while his fingers absentmindedly plucked at the thin cotton of the hospital shirt he was wearing.

This morning the doctor had told him that he’d have to stay about ten more days in the hospital. But he couldn’t go home of course. Superman had promised him that as soon as he was released he would personally come and pick him up to deliver him to Alice White’s apartment.

The Chief’s ex-wife had visited him every day since his Mom had left for California and she’d offered to take care of him while he recuperated. Jimmy wasn’t too happy about that but he knew he couldn’t stay on at the hospital until he could walk properly again. He also knew he wouldn’t be able to make it on his own either – not as long as the plaster on his leg was way up here.

Jimmy scowled at the offending leg. He was just beginning to realize how awkward and limiting it would be if he couldn’t bend his knee.

“Hey Jimmy! Why the sour face? Alice told me you’re being released soon so you should be hopping up and down for joy! Don’t you wanna go home?”

Jimmy started as Lois’s teasing voice suddenly cut through his reverie. He turned his head towards the cheerful sound and watched as Lois walked towards him, a blinding smile on her face, her shiny cap of hair swirling just above her shoulders. If he didn’t know better Jimmy could’ve sworn Lois didn’t walk but floated into the room. The white shirt she wore with a dark grey pants suit hugged her burgeoning breasts and perfectly round bulge.

In the first few months Lois had been a bit self-conscious about her changing figure and had constantly tried to wrap her jackets around her middle. Apparently she’d now abandoned all attempts to disguise the fact that she was pregnant. Jimmy hadn’t seen Lois for a while and the beautiful and vibrant picture she made took his breath away.

Lois reached down to plant a kiss on Jimmy’s cheek then peered closely at his face. She grinned and patted his left cheek. “The cat’s got your tongue, huh? You’ve lost weight, Jimmy - you’ve finally lost that baby fat. You’re looking good, kiddo. I bet all the nurses are glad to take care of such a fit young man for a change… so why are you looking so glum? I know, Alice White can’t hold a candle to these pretty girls and…”

Jimmy smiled weakly as he listened to Lois in vivacious, full babble mode. He didn’t try to interrupt her and just waited until she’d run out of steam.

“Honey, you’ll give the poor guy a headache,” an amused voice remarked. Jimmy lifted his eyes from Lois’s animated face to see Clark entering at a leisurely pace. He grinned at Jimmy while he deftly grabbed two empty chairs and carried them over to the left side of the bed.

“Sit,” Clark ordered and much to Jimmy’s surprise Lois didn’t bristle but did as she was told and even said ‘thank you’.

Man! This pregnancy had sure mellowed ‘Mad Dog Lane’! Jimmy wondered if the effect would be lasting. Clark seemed to read his mind for he winked at Jimmy and said, “Jimmy, don’t let her good mood fool you – she’s still giving me headaches, you know!”

“Oh, you!” Lois playfully slapped Clark on his chest then subtly changed the gesture into a caress. “Jimmy, don’t you listen to him – here in front of you sits a very happily married man and don’t let him tell you otherwise… where’s Megan? I talked to her on the phone yesterday and she said she’d be here, too. Things were pretty hectic at the Planet these last few days – did you see those headlines?”

“Uh – yeah,” Jimmy wasn’t sure which one of Lois’s questions he should answer first.

Lois looked closely at Jimmy and then at Clark; she rolled her eyes and stood up. “Okay Jimmy, I can see that what you really want is to have a man-to-man talk with Clark. You go ahead guys, I was planning to visit Glenda Keyes now that I’m here, so I’m off to the maternity ward now. See ya later!”

Two pairs of admiring eyes watched as Lois nearly skipped out of the room and when Clark finally turned his head to look again at Jimmy, a big, happy grin threatened to split his face in two. Jimmy couldn’t help but grin back at him. He was beginning to feel a little better. His best friend was here and now he could talk - really talk - to CK.

“Well, Jimmy, Alice White told us that the doctor is very satisfied with the progress you’re making. Alice says you’re cranky and that seems to be a good sign. We’re all very glad that your injuries weren’t more serious, Jimmy. And those bones will heal, you know.”

“I know, CK, it’s just… the doctor told me that this cast – ” Jimmy knocked on the plaster covering his upper leg, “ - has to stay put for at least six whole weeks! Well, not this one, this one is temporary. The doctor said I’ll get a proper one before I leave here. That’s why I can’t go to my own place when I’m discharged, CK. I won’t be able to climb the stairs to begin with.”

“You won’t be able to do a lot of other things, too, Jimmy. Bottom line is, you won’t be able to care for yourself.”

“I know! That’s why the Chief’s wife… CK, I can’t stay with her! I can’t let her… do things for me! It’s too embarrassing.”

“It seems to me you don’t have a choice, Jimmy. Unless you want to stay with your Mom? Superman will be happy to fly you to California if that’s what you want.”

“Really? He’d do that?”

“Of course he’d do it, Jimmy.”

“Well, uh, no… I don’t think that’s such a great idea, CK. My Mom’s got a fulltime job… and I’d have to deal with my step dad too, you know. He’s not so bad, I suppose, but I don’t really know him. And I wouldn’t see Megan or you guys for a long time. No, my Mom’s not an option.”

“Well, Jimmy, Lois’s mother is a nurse. She’s visited you a few times, hasn’t she? If you like, we could ask her to help you in the morning and before you go to bed. You know, help you wash, put on your clothes, that sort of thing. Just for a few days. You’ll be amazed how quickly you’ll be able to adjust and learn to do things with just one free arm.”

Jimmy looked doubtful. “Well, maybe… but you can’t ask Mrs. Lane to do that, CK, she’s got her own life, her own job!”

“She works part time, Jimmy, and she’s said more than once that she wished she could do something for you. Don’t worry about it, okay? Ellen Lane and Alice White get along fine and I’m sure Alice will understand. But the Chief says there’s another option if you really don’t want to stay with Alice. He’ll hire a private nurse to take care of you in your own apartment. Well, not all the time, of course, she wouldn’t live with you. She could come over maybe twice a day. How’s that?”

Stunned, Jimmy stared, openmouthed, at Clark. Suddenly his head started throbbing and he flopped back against the pillows. He groaned and briefly closed his eyes before he opened them again to fix Clark with an anxious and slightly reproachful look.

“Oh man! CK, please don’t joke about this. A private nurse – are you kidding? D’you know how much something like that will cost? I don’t even know how I’m gonna pay for my stay here at the hospital. All those doctor’s bills… and I’m sure there’ll be more expenses and – “

“Jimmy! What are you talking about! All your expenses have been taken care off. Didn’t Perry tell you?”

“No – the Chief’s been here twice and all he said was, ‘Don’t you worry ‘bout a thing, son, you just concentrate on getting better.’ CK… do you mean to say Perry’s paying for all this? I can’t let him do that! That’s crazy - the accident wasn’t his fault!”

“Jimmy, believe me, money won’t be a problem.“

“Yes, CK, it will be a problem. A big problem. Huge! That night I had dinner at your house, just before I almost got myself killed… remember I told you guys I’d taken a lease on one of those new studios they’re building at the harbor?”

“I remember… they’re part of the Lowlands project. You told us you wanted to start your own photo studio.”

“Yes – and I had to come up with a hefty down payment, with a no refund clause in the contract. Practically all my savings are invested in that studio, CK!”

‘And now most probably in Mindy Church’s bank account.’ Clark thought as he stared at Jimmy. He frowned and made a decision.

“I shouldn’t be the one to tell you this, Jimmy, so don’t tell the Chief I told you. I’m sure he’ll want to tell you himself. You don’t have to pay for any of these medical expenses - they’re all being charged to ‘The National Whisper’, Jimmy. You know how crafty Perry can be – he called Ralph’s editor and with the help of the Planet’s lawyers he somehow pulled it off. He threatened them with a lawsuit and they signed an agreement to pick up the whole tab.”

Speechless, Jimmy just stared. When Clark nodded and put two fingers against his temple and said, “It’s true, Jimmy – scouts honor.” Jimmy’s disbelief was slowly being replaced by relief. Suddenly he felt faint and quite lightheaded. He pressed his lips closely together to stop their trembling, but he couldn’t prevent the tears that suddenly coursed down his cheeks. Blindly, Jimmy extended his uninjured arm and felt Clark grab his hand in a reassuring clasp.

“It’s okay, buddy, I’m sorry you didn’t know. No wonder you looked so depressed when Lois and I came in. Here…” Clark took a handkerchief out of his pocket and pressed it into Jimmy’s hand. “Go ahead, it’s practically clean,” he teased, “I haven’t blown my nose in it more than twice.”

Jimmy gave a watery chuckle while he vigorously scrubbed his cheeks. “Thanks, CK, for telling me. I was going nuts, just lying here and trying to think how I was going to solve this. I’m so glad I can talk to you about this. I couldn’t with Megan, you know.”

“I know, Jimmy, that wouldn’t do. You two had just found each other again when you had that accident. From now on, you just concentrate on getting better, okay, and on building a solid relationship with Megan. You still feel good about you two?”

“Oh yes – she’s great, CK. She comes over at least once every day to see me. I just hope… I don’t know… d’you think she does it only because she feels she has to, CK? I mean, she told me how Superman came to find her and brought her here that first night and that she stayed here with Lois until the doctor let her see me. I just – “

“Jimmy, believe me, Megan’s not the kind of girl to lead you on. I don’t know her that well but she strikes me as being pretty straightforward and Lois thinks so too. So don’t start having doubts, okay, just tell her how you feel about her. Megan knows you’re not at Death’s door and she knows you won’t be an invalid for the rest of your life. I’m sure she’ll be honest with you.”

Jimmy sighed. “I know, CK, it’s just – I don’t know – “

“Scary?”

“Yeah!”

“Tell me about it! It’s very scary to open up completely to somebody and I’ve got news for you, buddy – that feeling never really goes away. Sometimes I still find it hard to tell Lois certain things. You know, the kind that maybe will make her think less of me?”

“Really? Even after all these years?”

“Making a relationship a success is hard work, Jimmy, especially in the first years. You don’t want to do or say things that will probably disappoint your partner, right? So you end up keeping things from each other and of course that always backfires. You end up telling them anyway and then she’s mad because you’ve kept them from her in the first place. Happened to me more times than I care to remember. It’s hard, but the best thing is to be as open with each other as possible. Lois and I are getting there. I think we’ve now pretty much reached a stage where we’re being totally honest with each other. Trust is the most important thing in all relationships, Jimmy.”

Jimmy sighed. “Well, you two make it seem so easy, CK.”

“It isn’t – but it’s worth it, Jimmy. I can’t imagine my life without Lois in it. We still have big fights now and then, but that’s okay.” Clark grinned happily. “We love making up! And look what that’s brought us, Jimmy.”

Clark lifted Lois’s briefcase from the chair where she’d left it and placed it on his lap. He opened it and took an envelope out of it. “Lois had an ultrasound today. Look, Jimmy – this is our baby. Isn’t she beautiful?”

While Jimmy stared at the print out Clark thought back to what had happened a few hours ago at S.T.A.R. Labs. Actually, it had all started very early in the morning when he’d received a phone call from an excited Dr. Klein.

“Mr. Kent! Please ask Superman to come over here as soon as possible. I have something very important to discuss with him!”

“Go, Clark!” Lois had told him, “I’ll drive myself to work. Maybe he’s got news about your spaceship already.”

So Superman had supersped to S.T.A.R. Labs where Dr. Klein had already been waiting impatiently for him. No, he’d told Superman, he didn’t know anything yet about the spaceship; he’d asked his secretary to find out where it was stored and how soon it could be released into his custody. Bernie had assured him that the very efficient Linda would be able to make all the necessary arrangements in just a few days.

“Come with me to the lab in the east wing, Superman, I have something to show you.”

“You mean… the lab where students experiment with making all kinds of new medical devices?”

“Yes, it’s used mostly by graduate students - biomedical engineers in the making. One of the projects they’re usually assigned to make is an ultrasound device. They’re really not that hard to make, Superman. All you need is a piezoelectric crystal – that’s the main ingredient for making a rough machine to be able to reflect the sound waves. Very rough, I’ll admit, but it works. Several of those ultrasound devices are stored right here in the lab. Some are pretty good, actually. I’m glad you could come so quickly, Superman, because I need you to transport one of those to my own lab. It’s not big or heavy, mind you, but I’d like you to move it very gently - I don’t want it to break. I don’t want to ask one of my assistants because I don’t want them to know what I intend to do with it.”

While talking they’d quickly walked in the direction of the east wing where Dr. Klein had stopped and opened a door with a key he took out of one of the pockets of his white coat.

“Good… it’s too early for people to be here and that’s just what we need, Superman. Come in.”

Dr. Klein had thumped on a switch near the door, flooding the room with the harsh, cold light of a row of neon tubes that were fixed on the ceiling. Superman had followed the doctor as he’d purposely walked towards a machine standing on a table in the middle of the room.

“This is the device Ben Sutherland showed me just a few days ago, Superman. Ben’s one of my assistants who supervises students who come here to experiment. He told me he’s currently working with a biomedical engineering first year PhD student: female and quite brilliant. Her name’s Alyssa or Melissa or something like that – I forgot. She works together with another student. Rachel – yes, I’m positive Ben said ‘Rachel’. Those two are sort of known as being ‘joined at the hip’. Clumsy, too. It’s hard to believe, Superman, but these two young women started a fire when soldering their power supply for their circuits class and – “

“Bernie! I’m sure Ben’s got two budding geniuses to work with here, but could you please stick to the subject?”

Superman rolled his eyes and reflected that if these two students were as clumsy and absent-minded as Dr. Klein himself sometimes was, then probably they were just as brilliant.

“What? Oh, yes – I digress. Sorry, Superman… anyway, they made this and Ben says it’s superior to the other experimental ultrasound devices he’s ever tested. Last night I suddenly remembered this and I thought it would be ideal to use this scanner on Ms. Lane. I also need the signal processing program that produces the image, so I got out of bed and came back here to write the image processing program in LabView. I don’t have that on my computer at home.”

While he listened attentively, Superman had effortlessly lifted the machine Dr. Klein had pointed out to him while the doctor picked up some other device from the table.

“See this, Superman? These students have also fashioned a scanner and image-processing tool to convert the scan into a traditional ultrasound image. I can use the scanner on Ms. Lane and print out the image for her to show to family and friends – something they would recognize and wouldn’t seem out of the ordinary.”

As they’d left the room and started to walk quickly back to Dr. Klein’s own lab Superman had asked curiously, “Bernie, I thought you were going to use your special Superman scanning machine. How come you’ve changed your mind?”

“Well, I had second thoughts about that, Superman. There’s a baby involved, you know. Although we don’t use traditional x-rays to scan your body and I’m quite sure it won’t harm the baby, I think it’s best to use a traditional ultrasound device. Those visuals I make of parts of your body are quite different from ultrasound images.”

“That makes sense, I guess. So… x-rays are harmful to unborn babies, right? Bernie, you’ve always assured me that my being able to see through human bodies is quite harmless. I’ve been scanning the baby since Lois was about six weeks pregnant. Are you sure my vision is harmless to unborn babies too? I’m starting to feel a bit worried here, you know.”

“Don’t be, Superman – your vision radiates a certain type of light of an unknown wavelength – maybe even a variable wavelength. I haven’t been able yet to analyze it completely, but they aren’t x-rays as we know them. They’re completely harmless – until you decide to use ‘em to set things on fire, of course… Okay, here we are – let’s set things up and I’ll show you how this works. Maybe Ms. Lane would feel more comfortable if her husband does the scanning instead of me.”

Clark smiled as he remembered the look on Lois’s face when Dr. Klein had started to explain the workings of the devices to her. Lois wasn’t interested in techno-babble and before she’d opened her mouth to say so Clark had deftly stopped Bernie by saying that he’d already explained all that to his wife.

When Clark had finally arrived in the newsroom and told Lois what had happened at S.T.A.R. Labs they’d both been barely able to contain their impatience until Dr. Klein called a few hours later to tell them he was ready to see them.

Lois had always maintained that she didn’t mind waiting until it was born to see her baby. But now that she was offered the opportunity she’d been so eager that Clark had had to caution her to walk and not fly into S.T.A.R. Labs once he’d parked their Jeep next to Bernie’s convertible. And when she’d reached his office Lois had almost run down the good doctor when she’d rushed past him into the room.

But Dr. Klein had remained unperturbed. “I’m glad you could come over so soon, Ms. Lane,” he’d said brightly, “Mr. Kent - you know how this works so I’ll leave you to it then. Call me when you’re done. I’ll be waiting right here in the next room.”

“Wait! Where are you going?” Lois had asked. “I don’t understand… I thought you were going to do the scanning? Why would Clark be doing it?”

“Well, I thought you’d prefer to have some privacy, Ms. Lane. I – “

“No, I’d like you to do it, Bernie, please! I only have to move my shirt to expose my stomach, right? If I’d be able to go to a regular doctor he’d have seen it too, so if you don’t mind looking at my bulge… I’d really like for Clark and me to do this just like any normal couple. You know, he holding my hand, the doctor at the machine… I know Clark’s seen the baby already hundreds of time, he’s always peeking at her, you know, and I…”

Dr. Klein had stared at Lois while she’d babbled on; he’d never had the privilege before of seeing Lois Lane in a sentimental mood. While Clark had smilingly tried to stop the words flowing from Lois’s mouth Dr. Klein had sufficiently recovered and shown the expectant parents exactly why he was such a highly esteemed member of the scientist community of Metropolis.

All at once Dr. Klein had become brisk and businesslike, telling Lois to lie down and Clark to take his place at her side. He’d positioned the monitor at such an angle so that Lois and Clark would be able to see the image on the screen and he’d merely raised his eyebrows when Lois had floated herself gracefully on the bed.

“CK!”

Jimmy’s voice brought Clark back to his present surroundings. “Sorry Jimmy – what did you say?”

Jimmy thrust the print out back at Clark with an apologetic grin. “CK, are you sure this is a baby? I’m afraid I don’t see much in this… this… you call this a picture?”

“Hi, Clark… hi, Jim!”

Clark stood up as Megan Carrington, smiling shyly, walked in. She made a pretty picture in the dark blue jeans she wore with a cotton blouse in a lighter shade of blue.

“Hello Megan – it’s good to see you again.” Clark stood up and smiled warmly at Megan. “While you say hello to Jimmy I’ll try to find my wife – she went to see Mrs. Keyes at the maternity ward and I’m afraid if I don’t go and drag Lois away from there we won’t see her again. She’s had an ultrasound today and now she’s totally into babies.”

Megan laughed. “I know… so’s Elaine! My dear sister says she’s had it and is all ready for the twins to come out now. Is that the scan of your baby, Clark? Can I see it?”

“Sure… and maybe you can show Jimmy what to look for while I’ll try to find Lois.”

“Hey!” Jimmy protested, “It looks weird, CK! I’ve never seen one of those pictures before, you know.”

“Well, I have,” Megan confirmed, “It’s really very simple, Jim.”

Clark smiled as he left the room and headed towards the elevator. Megan always referred to Jimmy as ‘Jim’. Clark supposed that might make Jimmy feel mature and help him to not relapse into his former juvenile kid brother behavior when he was around Megan. Clark hoped the young couple would be able to build a stable relationship. He liked Megan and he knew Lois did too.

While he waited for the elevator to arrive Clark was still smiling. After all the anxiety and emotional turmoil of the last few days he was now feeling almost lightheaded with happiness.

Clark still marveled at how elated he’d felt when he and Lois had gazed at the ultrasound image of their baby. That had surprised him – after all, he could see his unborn daughter so much clearer with his own special vision. But sharing this experience together with Lois had been such a special moment. She’d grasped his hand tightly and gasped, “Oh Clark… look, our baby! Can you see her? Ooh, wow…”

Lois had alternately cried and laughed and Clark had cried and laughed with her.

When Dr. Klein had finally handed a print out to a radiant Lois, she’d hugged and kissed him and said, “Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!”

Visibly moved, the kindhearted doctor had smiled warmly down at her. “You’re welcome, Ms. Lane - it was my pleasure, believe me.”

“Oh please! When are you going to stop calling us Ms. Lane and Mr. Kent? It’s Lois and Clark, Bernie, and we won’t answer to anything else from now on. Right, Clark?”

“Right!” Clark had agreed and Lois had added teasingly, “Only true friends of Superman have that privilege, Bernie.”

“It’s a privilege to be considered one of them, Ms… uh… Lois,” Bernie had said earnestly.

They’d said their goodbyes and as soon as Lois had been seated in the Jeep she’d taken the ultrasound out of her briefcase to gaze reverently at the fuzzy image of their baby.

Pinggg!

The elevator announced its arrival and Clark blinked, once again becoming aware of his surroundings. The doors opened and the people who also stood waiting stepped aside to make way for the men and women standing inside the elevator.

“Hi honey! Have you been waiting here specially for me?” Lois stepped out of the elevator and smiled at her husband.

“I was coming to look for you,” Clark said as he took her arm and steered her protectively through the busy corridor in the direction of Jimmy’s room.

“How is Glenda Keyes – and the baby?”

“So far so good – she’s getting stronger every day. The doctors are careful of course and don’t say much but Glenda’s convinced her daughter will be all right. She says she doesn’t care how long the baby has to stay in the hospital as long as she’ll be able to take her home one day.”

“Did you see her? The baby, I mean.”

“No – I didn’t want to ask Glenda to take me over there, she was already in bed, you know. Gareth had just left with their sons when I got there. I was sorry I missed them – I’d love to meet those two little boys. But it was past their bedtime already so Gareth took them home. Oh well - at least Glenda and I had some time alone before Gareth returned. She’s nice – I like her; it was nice talking to her. The baby’s name is Charlotte… Charlotte Keyes. Glenda says no way is she going to allow anybody to call her ‘Charly’ - as if she’s going to be able to prevent that!“

They grinned at each other and Clark said, “Just as we can count on it that our Katharine will be called Katie or Kathy.”

“Well, as long as it’s not Kath – that would remind me too much of Cat Grant.”

Clark laughed and shook his head. “Lois, don’t tell me you still feel jealous of Cat Grant! Here we are, honey…”

Clark followed Lois into Jimmy’s room where Megan sat beside the bed on the chair Lois had vacated earlier. The artificial light of the lamp hanging above her head created a golden halo around her curly red hair and her deep blue eyes sparkled with merriment. She jumped up to greet Lois and pointed laughingly at the ultrasound Jimmy was still staring at.

“Lois, Jim says he must be more concussed than he thought… he’s just not able to see a baby in your ultrasound.”

“Yeah – sorry guys, but this looks more like E.T.’s baby to me.“

“Jimmy - how dare you! My beautiful baby doesn’t look like E.T.” Lois retrieved her ultrasound image and lovingly smoothed her finger over the surface.

“Bad uncle Jimmy… and he’s supposed to be an eagle eyed photographer,” Lois crooned at the print out.

Jimmy rolled his eyes. “That’s not a photo, Lois! CK, does she behave like this all day? Man! Is this the same Lois Lane who chases bad guys for a living? Oh, I almost forgot to ask… I’ve seen those awesome headlines of course, but you’ve gotta tell me everything about this case, CK. How come the Chief wrote that article about the burning boat? And how come…”

(Tbc)

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!