Getting there...

Enjoy!

++++

"Are you sure?" Lane asked his father.

"I'm positive," Clark answered.

Lois continued to listen to them from the kitchen. She was cleaning up after breakfast because Martha had left for town. Her soon to be mother-in-law was preparing for an art show at the end of the week. Jonathan was off tending to the cattle, and her two favorite men had drifted to the den earlier. She wasn't sure what they were doing, but they sounded like they were having fun.

"Mom, are you done? We're ready to go."

They were headed in to town to see Ellen and Sam. Lane loved visiting his grandparents; it meant he could swim. And he was definitely ready, she noted when she stepped into the other room. He was wearing his swim trunks and flip flops.

"We have to stop at Archie's first. Dad needs some trunks."

Clark shrugged sheeplessly. "I, ah, could actually use a few other things. I only have that one pair of jeans that fit. Unless you want me to wear that black suit," he teased.

"We'll discuss that one later," she told him, conveying her meaning in the heated look she gave him. "But the other things we can get."

He nodded as he gathered up the bag she'd packed and waited by the door for her to grab everything she needed. She stopped in front of him because she'd noticed his expression had changed.

"Okay, let's have it."

"Have what?"

"Something's wrong. You didn't take that comment I made back there and run with it." She folded her arms across her chest, daring him to deny that something was on his mind.

"I don't like the idea of having to ask you to buy me clothes."

"Are you uncomfortable with me taking care of you?"

"Not exactly that, just..." He waved his hands in frustration. "Look, I was Lord of all for six years. I snapped my fingers and things appeared."

"And asking me for things reminds you of that?"

"A little, yes."

Lois relaxed her stance. "I understand that, but how will you ever be comfortable on the farm? It's not like you'll have a regular paycheck or a very big one either."

"But I'll be able to feel like I'm contributing."

She reached out to place her hand on his chest. "Don't you realize how much you're contributing just by being here?"

Her words were so soft he almost missed what she said. "Lois," he whispered, feeling every emotion pouring from her.

Lane had watched his parents with wide eyes, wondering if they'd argue and get mad again. He wasn't exactly sure what this was, but he continued to watch them in silence.

Lois had to force herself to concentrate or they'd never get out the door. She cleared her throat as she pulled her hand away from Clark's chest. "I think we'll both be happy," she managed as she looked down at Lane. "Honey, if we're going in Archie's, you need to put on a shirt."

"Got it." He held up the item with a grin. She ruffled his hair as he slipped it over his head.

"Of course, I'm happy," Clark began.

"That's not what I meant. Well, it is, but... Anyway, you'll be contributing. Your bank account is heftier than mine."

"What?"

"Your mom, as your power of attorney, rolled everything in your checking account over into your saving's account. Perry kept you on the payroll at the Planet for the entire two years he was allowed to. *And* he managed to get you a healthy bonus. Martha, with the help of my father and yours, invested some of that money. The returns have been tremedous."

Clark's brows furrowed. "What?"

"Clark, you're a very wealthy man."

"Then could I have a new game?" came the voice of their son.

Both faced him, then started to laugh. Clark reached down to lift Lane up in his arms. "I think we have a wise guy, Mom." Lane began to giggle as his father tickled his ribs. The trio talked happily as they made their way outside so they could get to town.

Other than the new construction, things in Smallville hadn't really changed all that much, Clark noticed, much to his relief. He hadn't been sure what he'd find in town, but was glad he still recognized it. His mother's gallery was a brightly colored building just two doors down from Maisy's diner. There was a few other new businesses as well, though the old favorites seemed to still be the anchor.

Jensen's Farm Supply still occuppied the end of Taylor street. It stretched out for the entire block, old man Jensen stood on the platform outside talking with a customer, just like he'd always done. Archie's was still the same, too. The clothing store had an old time feel when you walked in the door, but you could find some of the latest styles in fashion and footwear. Clark picked out a swim suit, new underwear and socks, a couple shirts, and some new jeans. He and Lane also bought matching sneakers, which tickled the boy to death.

Lois glanced over at Clark. He'd been rather quiet since they'd gotten to town. He'd been sociable enough with Archie and his wife, and he'd held up his end of the conversation with her and Lane. He just seemed reserved and distant. He turned to her and smiled.

"Still Smallville," she assured him, pretty sure what had caused his melancholy.

"Still Smallville," he agreed as he glanced back out the window.

"Ready?" Lois asked as she manuevered the car into her parents' driveway.

"Ready." He lifted her hand and kissed the back before climbing out.

Lane was already running around back. "Nana! Doc!"

"Doc?" Clark asked as he waited for Lois to come around to join him.

"He loves that Dad's a doctor and never called him anything but Doc." She shrugged. They'd never made a big deal out of what Lane called her father. Sam didn't mind, so everything was fine.

Clark took a breath and they walked hand in hand around to the back of the house. Lane was talking with Sam, who'd kneeled to be eye level with his grandson. Ellen was busily arranging plates on the table beside the grill. She spotted them first.

"Hey, you two!" She approached with open arms, taking Clark by surprise when she immediately folded him into a hug. "I'm so glad you're home, son," she whispered in his ear.

He'd promised himself he'd hold it together. And he tried, really tried. But when Ellen choked back a sob, he felt his eyes begin to sting.

Ellen leaned back to look at him. "You look wonderful. Those others seemed to have taken care of you."

"They didn't have a choice," Clark told her.

"Of course not," Ellen said as she reached up to wipe under his eyes with her thumbs. "They were afraid my daughter would whip their a..."

"Mother!"

She patted Clark's face with a wide grin. "I'm glad to have you back so we can take care of you ourselves."

"It's good to be back," he said with a smile. This was not the Ellen Lane he remembered. Where had this woman come from? She was a lot like his mother. Had Smallville rubbed off on her that much? Or was it Martha?

Lane, he decided when she moved away so Sam could greet him. The tender way Ellen touched his son told him that little boy had worked miracles just by existing.

"It sure is good to see you," Sam offered with an outstretched hand.

"It's good to be seen," Clark returned as he shook the other man's hand.

Sam just smiled at him for a moment before pulling Clark forward into a hug. "My princess is complete again," he said when he drew back. "And my boy has his daddy. What do you think of that boy?"

Clark's eyes found Lane's and they shared a smile. "I think that boy is priceless, Mr. Lane."

"Mr. Lane! Can that nonsense. You can call me Sam or Doc or even Dad," he told him as he threw an arm around Clark's shoulders and guided him over to the grill. "Now, that girl of mine said we had to give you a few days, but as a medical professional I know that the best way to help someone heal is to thrust them into familiar things." They stopped in front of the grill, and he lifted a pair of tongs. "What do you say we see if we can seer these steaks?"

"You would probably think I was mad if I kissed you right now, but Doc, you don't know how good it feels to be asked to do something so mundane," he told Sam as he took the tongs.

Sam paused, his eyes telling Clark that he completely understood or at least accepted what his future son-in-law felt. He pulled his arm from around Clark's shoulders and dug around in the cooler for a couple of beers. He opened one and held it out to the man beside him. When they both had one, Sam lifted his bottle up. "Here's to family. Family that's all together."

"Where they belong," added Ellen who held up her own bottle, in her case, soda. She and Lois both joined in on toasting being back together again.

"I'll drink to that," Clark said as he touched his bottle to everyone else's. Yes, it was great to be back where he belonged.

"Are you sure we can't just fool around a little?" Clark asked as Lois guided him toward his room. They'd stayed at her parents' house throughout the afternoon and into the night. Martha and Jonathan had joined them for dinner, and they'd all enjoyed a swim. In Clark and Lane's case, they'd enjoyed several swims. Clark had been pleased that Lane could swim so well and even happier to play the day away.

They'd all talked, about everything but Clark's trip, everyone apparently understanding his need to escape those demons for a while. Clark had helped Sam cook both meals. And he'd helped her father celebrate a few too many toasts. Without his powers, Clark had managed to get a bit tipsy. She was almost flustered from trying to get him home and in bed. Lane had stayed with his grandparents in town, to her relief. She wasn't sure if she could have dealt with both of them.

"I'm sure," she told him as she pulled his shirt over his head.

"How about tomorrow?"

She couldn't help but chuckle at his sappy smile. "If you'll be a good boy and get in bed, we'll play around tomorrow."

"Promise?" he asked, the enthusiasm of a child bubbling over.

"I promise." And she almost sighed aloud when he climbed into bed. Although she wanted him to sleep with her, there was no way she would survive that. He'd shamelessly talked about how he'd like to make love to her the entire trip from town. To make it worse, his hands had roamed freely. But there was no way she'd take advantage of this situation. When they made love again, she wanted them both to remember it the next day.

Hell, she'd remember it the *rest* of her days.

"Love you," Clark mumbled through his haze. He'd already begun to drift off.

"I love you," she told him, though she doubted he'd heard it. She smoothed his hair back on his head. He'd probably needed the slight release the alcohol had given him today. There was no way she'd ever begrudge him an escape. Besides, it was so good to see him let loose a bit. The Clark she remembered had always been so reserved and polite. Yes, she'd fallen in love with that man, but as she'd told him, she was glad he was... more.

She pressed her lips to his temple, then straightened and headed for her room.

Clark admired the ring he held as he sipped his coffee. He'd bought an engagement ring for Lois almost before they'd been dating years ago. He'd kept that ring, safely tucked inside his suit where it had hung on a chain around his neck, as safe as his love for her. He set down his cup and picked up the other ring on the table. It was a perfect golden circle. The gold was almost the color of bronze because it was from New Krypton. It was the band intended to be worn by his wife. Zara had given it to him on their wedding night. She hadn't worn it, knowing where his heart truly lay. She'd chosen another ring instead so that he could some day bring this one back to the one who'd stolen his heart.

"Clark?"

He looked up at his mother. "Hi, Mom."

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. I just couldn't sleep."

"I'll make a little more coffee," she offered before sitting down beside him. "Those are beautiful," she told him of the rings.

"I've been trying to figure out the perfect way to propose."

"I think Lois would like a simple 'will you marry me?'"

Clark laughed softly. "I've already done that." At his mother's raised brows, he clarified, "I asked her yesterday."

"Then just give it to her."

"She deserves something special, something more."

Martha reached out to take the wedding band so she could get a better look. "This is very beautiful."

"My birth father gave it to Zara's father. It was supposed to be hers. She wouldn't wear it, said it belonged to Lois." Clark fingered the ring in his mother's hand.

"She sounds like a smart girl."

"She is." Clark looked away, lost in a place somewhere other than the kitchen. "Mom, we never... she and I... never..." He gestured with his hands.

"Slept together?"

"Well..." He looked down at the cup between his hands as if it could help him explain this. "We never consummated our marriage, at least not completely."

"Clark, you don't have to tell me this. You should be telling Lois."

"I've told her most of it. Anyway, Zara and I, we kissed and explored a bit. A bit more than I like to admit. Lois knows about that. I told her everything that happened, how I felt, how far we went."

"But there's more?"

"The night Nor was killed... she came to my chamber. We talked and I broke down. I confessed my loneliness, my fears, and I expressed my anger because I wasn't the one that killed Nor."

Martha gasped slightly, but didn't speak.

"She listened and she helped me understand that what I felt was natural and that it was okay." Clark looked up at his mother. "That it was human. She held me while I cried and she continued to hold me all night. A new level of friendship was achieved that night. The next day she confessed a few things to me and we set out to make some changes."

His mom looked at him closely, realizing immediately that something was wrong. "What is it, son?"

"How do I tell Lois that Zara held me like that? Sex is one thing. That doesn't take a single emotion. But what we shared that night, it was very emotional."

"Just tell her. I have a feeling Lois will understand."

“You don’t know how many times I wished I hadn’t gone.”

“We can’t change the past, Clark. We can only accept things and try to make a better future. You need to let it all go. There’s a little boy that needs you now. You can’t help take care of him if you’re too busy sulking about the past. And Lois will understand.”

"I hope you're right." He lifted the wedding band again. "There's no way she can wear this until she knows and is okay with it."

"Why don't you go back up and see if she's awake?" She gathered up the rings. "I'll take care of these for you."

He reached up to cup her cheek. "Have I told you that I love you?"

"Yeah, but I like hearing it."

Leaning to place a kiss on her forehead, he couldn't help but be thankful this woman had found him in that field all those years ago. Sometimes he wondered if Jor-El had known exactly where to send him.