Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The tall, lanky boy had hauled an overflowing cardboard box from the trunk and was walking towards her. "Which way to the kitchen?" he asked.

Lois peeped into the box. It was loaded with groceries - fresh vegetables and fruit, flour, tea, sugar, and bread.

The visitor grinned at her - probably in response to her surprise. "Dave said you'd be needing this," he said.

"Dave?"

"My uncle. He runs the general store." He nodded towards the house. "Around the back for the kitchen?"

"Yes," Lois said, hurrying in front of him. She came to the back door and opened it. The young man slid the box onto the table. "Thank you," she said.

"'S'OK," he said. "I have a cooler with meat, milk, and butter, too. Hang on a minute."

With that, he was gone. Lois checked the contents of the box. Whoever had packed it had thought of everything. She sprinted up the stairs to get her purse.

She returned as the delivery boy came through the door. He pushed the cooler onto the table and began to unpack a few trays of meat. "Thank you," Lois said when he'd finished. "How much do we owe you?"

"Dave said not to worry now. He says to tell Clark to come in when he gets settled."

"Do ... did you know Clark?"

"Not really," the young man replied. "I was only a kid when he left for college and not much older when he left ... the next time. I remember that no one bullied the little kids when he was around. And he was the best point guard the Smallville Bears ever had."
Thanks!

Corrina.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh noes! The police are there! Hopefully it will be Rachel Harris.

I have to question their judgement in returning to Smallville and bringing Clark Kent out in the open again but I definitely trust where you will take this story!! Loving it so much smile

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Whoooeeee! Clark gaining some big insights into his own behavior and Lois passing his test were milestones I'm sure. His tender heart. smile1

Loved in the preview how the young man remembered Clark not allowing any of the little kids to be bullied-- Great memory for someone who didn't know Clark very well! And the Kents' local grocer sent a boat-load of food for them unasked. I'm sure it reinforces Lois' take on Clark and his parents being wonderful people. Terrific stuff. hyper

EvelynC
Features Writer
Features Writer
There was so much I absolutely loved in this part. For the first part, I admit I had a funny feeling in my stomach, feeling so much for Clark and what he was going through, pulled in by the wonderful descriptiveness of your writing. But then, as it continued, I felt as Lois did when she exclaimed that it was over and they were free. While I'm not sure that's necessarily true, I certainly appreciate these few moments.

Clark's insight into himself was amazing for someone who has spent seven years in a prison. That point was really emphasized when Lois thought of how much of a dream this all must feel, comparing it to her own escape from hell.

The homecoming was so beautifully done, drawn and realized just as if we were there with Clark, each detail bringing us a bit closer, each memory painting the picture a little fuller. And the emotions rioting inside Clark, the thoughts running through his head...it was all so...well, I already used the word beautiful, so I'll settle for amazing this time.

And I like how he chose to have Lois stay in his room so that he could keep that feeling of connection with her. It was sweet, and just the sort of little, understanding, hopeful gesture that Clark--of any universe, story, or show--would make. smile

One of my favorite parts was when Lois realized that he might never recover, but that she loved him anyway and would be there for him no matter what. The way she sees him is just so perfect and fitting, and I, too, wish he could see himself the way she does, but if he did, he wouldn't be Clark. smile

I also liked how she gets him to use his powers to help them, and how skillfully he was applying his sight. It's cool to see Clark actually using his powers.

Well, I had more parts I really liked--the whole part actually--but I'll try not to mention them all. It's getting better every time, I think. I can't wait for more.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved this part! Their returning to the farmhouse was so lovely -- And I think Clark needs it to feel reconnected to something again, so he can eventually really *be* with Lois. I liked the poetry of this part:
Mustiness had replaced the aromas of his mom's cooking.

Staleness had replaced the clean country air.

Neglect had replaced the loving maintenance.

Coldness had replaced the warmth.

Silence had replaced the sound of family.

Abandonment had replaced the love.

But it was still home.
The opposites here are very telling about how far away Clark is from what his home used to be, yet it is still home. And I liked the detail you put in about the wall on the stair that he had banged into -- it is so true that it's imprints like these (well, not like Clark's-- but you know what I mean!) that you remember when you go back to a house or place you lived in. So good detail! smile1

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful part.

Not Rachel as it was a male voice. However whoever it is I'm sure will know Clark.

Looking forward to more.

Framework4
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Great part again! I also think that Clark needs to connect to something again (and another piece to the puzzle of his recovery and another will be seeing his mom again and knowing that she doesn't resent him for what the government did).

My favourite part was:

Mustiness had replaced the aromas of his mom's cooking.

Staleness had replaced the clean country air.

Neglect had replaced the loving maintenance.

Coldness had replaced the warmth.

Silence had replaced the sound of family.

Abandonment had replaced the love.

But it was still home.
I agree with Mozartmaid on this part!

Looking forward to more!

laugh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That was one of my favorite parts too. I loved the ironed pj's. The police was an unexpected twist but a good one I think.Great job as usual! I am looking forward to more soon. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Merriwether
Merriwether
Her determination to stay meant there was no escape.

For either of them.
Lois needs to bust out her old Huey Lewis and the News cassettes and play "Stuck With You" for Clark. wink

So glad they finally know that Scardino and Menzies aren't chasing after them. Unfortunately, the relief was so intense that it overshadowed the information that Moyne is still AWOL. Between that exchange and Scardino's earlier cryptic message, Lois might have enough to make the great leaps that she's known for and put the pieces together that Moyne might be after them, but she's clearly too distracted to really focus on it.

Very poignant moment when Clark reached his home in Smallville. You described his emotions very well.

(One minor thing to look at before you archive the story, though -- I assume Clark was washing and drying everything by hand at super-speed since there was no electricity, but wouldn't "running the water until the build up was gone" be something he'd have to do at normal speed? He can't make the water run out faster, after all, even with his powers.)

"Police!" a harsh male voice shouted from below. "Open up."
I'm not worried about the police -- clearly someone noticed the car in front of the house and assumed the house has been broken into -- but I am worried now that Clark's presence will soon be known to everyone in Smallville. And that means Phil Decker, whoever he might be! peep

I did find it amusing, however, that Moyne apparently has very tiny feet for a man. wink With the rods destroyed with the skeleton (right?), he shouldn't have any weapons to use against Clark. I'm sure he'll come up with something completely evil to compensate, but at least he won't be able to kick him. lol

Kathy

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Exciting end! I wonder if the 'police' will turn out to be Wayne Irig coming to check on the property! wink

Can't wait for the next part... as usual! LOL

Cheers
Elizabeth

Top Banana
Top Banana
I wish I could put in words how much I appreciate all the little details that went into this story. Things like Lois watching Clark's hands on the steering wheel awhile back, or last chapter's "You need a licence before you drive," and Clark's reply "I drove the car yesterday." (makes me chuckle every time I read it.)

I loved the trips to Metropolis and Clark using his supervision from up in the clouds. I was caught by surprise at Moyne having feet the size of a woman. I was hyper as I read that Clark finally listened - really listened to Lois tell him she wasn't leaving.

The way you described Clark's return was notworthy

Lol at ironing the pj's. He's so sweet.

I wasn't expecting the police, but it makes sense. I'm looking forward to the Welcome Home for Clark (will Rachael be there? Lana?) Of course, this means Moyne will know he's here, too. I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

Loving this story!

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Bellarase

I have to question their judgement in returning to Smallville and bringing Clark Kent out in the open again
Good point - although you know more than Lois does.

Taking Clark home was done on impulse. She remembered her feelings after the month on the run - and at the time, she was a little shocked by Clark's sudden change in attitude. However, she thought about it while she was driving towards Smallville and realised that she could never be all that Clark needed.

Also, perhaps she's developing the ability to subconsciously tune into Clark - remember when he flew over Smallville and wished he could go home?

Evelyn Re the preview - I was trying to create a feeling of community - a kind of 'welcome home'. However, as you said, it goes deeper than that (which I didn't see) to saying a lot about the Kent family.

AntiK Thanks for such indepth FDK smile

I'm glad you liked Clark arriving home. As a child, I lived in a tiny farmhouse on a very quiet road. In my imagination, the Kent home has morphed with my memories. I'm not sure how realistic that is in a practical sense, but I think that special feeling of home applies everywhere in the world.

(And forgive me for not FDKing past the first part in your lovely fic. I've been writing my ficathon assignment and still trying to move forward with TMTY which hasn't left much time for reading/replying.)

MozartMaid I was drawing heavily on memories of my childhood home. No, we didn't have a Superman-caused dent in the wall wink but we did have a large divot where my dad threw a crowbar at a snake - and missed!

Framework Cops usually work in pairs, don't they? wink

DW

I also think that Clark needs to connect to something again
I agree (and anyway I needed it to move the story forward! wink )

Laura

The police was an unexpected twist but a good one I think.
Yeah. Although the part ended on what looked like a cliffy, it wasn't really. In the country where people look out for each other, you'd expect someone to come.

Kathy

The water - one of the unexpected surprises in writing and reading fanfic is that things can be very different in different countries. My assumption was that, being in the country, the farm would have large rainwater tanks. One of my BRs said that that was unlikely (in her part of the US. Another thing I've learnt is the amazing diversity of your country.)

So, I deliberately left it vague as to where the water was coming from. However, the farm still needs water, so it wouldn't have been disconnected from the property. The water to the house may have sat stagnant for seven years, but once those pipes were clear, the water should be fresh.

There is also the possibility that Wayne occasionally came into the house to use the bathroom while he was working on the farm.

Perhaps half a minute to return the bathroom to order was a little short. But if Clark had turned on all the taps/faucets first and let them run while he cleaned, I don't think it's completely out of the question that it was running clear in a shortish period of time. And if there were any little blockages, a spurt of heat might have helped!

Thanks for the comment though - if I write something that doesn't make sense, I appreciate being told smile

Re Moyne - in my mind, he's smallish. I've done a quick check of the early parts, and I never actually said that blush . But in the fight where he tried to get Lois into the cell, it was a struggle. He prevailed, but not easily. There's a line where Lois realises that he is stronger than her physically. I realise this is very subtle, but the fact that she even thought that was meant to convey surprise because his appearance doesn't suggest strength.

I'll fix it before it goes to the archive!

Elizabeth It is the police, but the important bit is what they want laugh

Vicki

I'm glad you like the details. That has developed as I've written for this fandom. I used to leave out of lot of the little detail, thinking they were tangents and distracted from the story. However, FDKers have encouraged me to include them.

Many thanks everyone.

I'm not sure about the posting schedule for the next week. My plan had been to try to finish posting Trail and then post my ficathon assignment. However, that might miss the four week deadline for the ficathon, so I'm probably doing to have to suspend TMTY for a few days to post the assignment.

The end of Part 11 will be a good place for a small break - depending on the progress of my assignment, of course wink

Many thanks, as always,

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I used to leave out of lot of the little detail
hmmmm, I think we're talking about two different things. What I'm talking about has always been there. Maybe "details" wasn't the right word. I didn't mean so much "detailed descriptions" as, as, I don't really know what to call it. Whatever it is, it's quite subtle. How about "hidden treasures"?

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Again I'm late to the party but that doesn't signify any less love for the chapter! wink

They're free! and Clark is home! <happysigh> Now if only Moyne wasn't lurking in the shadows. Maybe he can get trampled in a feeding frenzy of hogs? I hear sows are really mean. devil

On the subject of Moyne, it crossed my mine that maybe he went specifically to Irig's farm to work to be able to recover more Kryptonite (since that's where it was discovered in GGGoH right?). I really hope not. confused

I loved how they used Clark's abilities to spy on Scardino and Menzies.

"They could be - they don't look big enough for a man."
Hmm, must be a rat. <L&C turn towards each other and in unison exclaim> Moyne!

And now, finally, he had heard her.

*Really* heard her.

Lois wasn't going to leave him.
Progress!

I loved the progression of Clark's thoughts as they approached the farm and when they finally arrived.

All she could do was love him ... support him ... be there for him.

Forever.
Awh. laugh

Merriwether
Merriwether
Emily figured out,
On the subject of Moyne, it crossed my mine that maybe he went specifically to Irig's farm to work to be able to recover more Kryptonite (since that's where it was discovered in GGGoH right?). I really hope not.
ARGH!!!! That is, of course, not only possible, but likely. So much for my theory that all Moyne could to do was threaten to expose Clark and kick him with his tiny feet. wink

Kathy

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Her determination to stay meant there was no escape.

For either of them.
Well... well... well... Lois isn't going to leave him. There is no escape. Poor Clark. Maybe he should try flying away and hiding in the Congo? or the Arctic? And then, 6 months later, he gets hunt down by an Inuit, knocked over the head with a green rock and when he comes to, sees the Inuit is actually a Caucasian woman.

He didn't know where he belonged.
How about 'the next room'?

"Police!" a harsh male voice shouted from below. "Open up."
Okay, I'm thinking a nosy neighbor called the police. Because Moyne wouldn't try it like that. I think. Besides, the preview looks homey, so...

Michael wave

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard