Clark awoke the next morning on his parents’ old bed, still dressed in the Suit. His headache was completely gone, and he *felt* back to normal... He sighed as he got up and eyed himself in the mirror, a wry smile gracing his lips as he took in the image of himself dressed in a spandex suit and a cape. Could he really do this?
Clark shook his head, uncertain. But he first had to test his powers. The idea of becoming a superhero would be completely irrelevant if the rock had incapacitated him forever.

He decided to try his heat vision first, for a shave. He was relieved to see it come out in a nice even blade of heat.

Clark took a deep breath, contemplating anew what the suit his mother had made him could mean to him, to Lois, possibly to the world. He felt excitement well up inside him. It would allow him to help openly, as long as he could gain the public’s trust. He would need a large task to test it out on, something that would announce him to the world irrefutably as a hero who wanted to help and not some vigilante to be feared. He would have to pick his moment carefully.

For now, he needed to head back to Metropolis. He was worried about Lois, an uneasy feeling in his stomach over the lie he had told her last night. Besides, she may still be in danger and he didn’t want to leave her alone any longer than he must.

The phone suddenly rang out in the silence of the farmhouse, surprising Clark.

“Hello?” he answered hesitantly, knowing only Wayne knew he was there.

“Clark? It’s Wayne... are you... feeling better?”

Clark breathed out a sigh of relief. “Yeah, I am. Thanks... and thanks for everything you told me last night.”

“You were always a good kid, Clark. I never want any harm to come to you.”

Clark felt the guilt of neglecting his parents’ good friend seize him again as he responded, “Thanks, Wayne. You too. If there’s ever anything I can do---“

“Well, Clark, that’s why I called... a man was here from the bank a few minutes ago. I don’t know what to do. I owe way too much to---save my house. We have one week to move out... I—I don’t want you to think I’m asking for money, because I’m not---I---just don’t know what to do. Could a newspaper like the one you work for help out a working class guy like me?”

Clark looked around him at the beautiful farmhouse that had been sitting empty for years, for too long. It needed a good farmer to give it life again...

“I can do you one better, Wayne,” Clark said with a smile, warming to his idea. “How about you take my folks’ house? At least until you get on your feet again.”

Clark could hear Wayne choke up on the other end. “I—Clark that’s awfully generous of you. I—I don’t know what to say.”

“Say you’ll take it. I’m heading back to Metropolis in a few minutes. It’s yours whenever and for however long you need it.”

Wayne took a shaky breath. “Your parents raised a good son, you know that? Thank you.”

“I’m glad I could help.”

“We’ll talk soon, hear? Don’t be a stranger.”

“I won’t. Take care, Wayne.” Clark hung up the phone with a smile, knowing he had made the right decision. Wayne knew more about him than anybody. If there were remaining secrets here on the farm, Clark was certain he could trust Wayne to keep them.

But Clark needed to go, uncertainty about Lois weighing heavily on his mind. He had to change, since his super persona didn’t have a place in the world as of yet... As a teenager, he had practiced spinning in and out of his clothes, just because it was fun. Now he wondered if it might become useful as well. Clark spotted his clothes from the night before, spun around at super speed, and had his new superhero persona safely tucked under his work suit in less than a few seconds.

He replaced his glasses, giving himself one more look in the mirror. He glanced around his parents’ room, silently vowing to come back more often and visit with Wayne now and then... and to not be afraid of old memories.

He owed his parents so much.

And he was determined to honor their memory.

*~*~*~*

Lois had hardly slept. She had arrived at her sister’s place after midnight, teary eyed and worried. Her distress had grown considerably on her walk over, and once Lucy had seen her tears, Lois gave in to her worst suspicions, telling her sister she was convinced it was all over with Clark---whatever it had been. Lucy had had Rocky Road ice cream on hand, thankfully, and they tucked in with two spoons together as they had often done during the worst years of their parents’ divorce.

“He’s so wonderful, though,” Lois had said when they had reached the midway point on the gallon tub. “I mean, he’s been helpful and kind... and you were right, he’s gorgeous,” she said, slamming another spoonful of chocolaty goodness into her mouth, as if to punish herself for that admission. “But, I just can’t see how it can work out between us... not after what I’ve been through... surely he’s decided I’m just too... complicated. I mean, why wouldn’t he rather be with a sweet, innocent girl – someone who hasn’t done the things I’ve done...”

That had started another crying jag, so then they broke out a bottle of wine and watched romantic comedies till Lois fell asleep on the sofa.

As morning light streamed in, Lois groaned as she awakened, feeling hung over and depressed. Evidence of their gluttony was still strewn about the living room, and she made a half-hearted effort to clean some of it up. Lois peeked into the bedroom and noticed that Lucy was already gone. She found a note in the kitchen that said simply, “Had class this morning. Make yourself at home.”

Lois smiled at the note, recalling when this apartment had indeed been her home. Lucy told her that she had fought to move in here, having been determined to have what she assumed was the only remaining connection she might ever have left to her sister.

Lois poured some milk and cereal and sat at the kitchen table, contemplating what her next move would be. She knew she’d have to confront Clark, which she dreaded. And they would still have to be ‘married’ until the business with the Boss was over. Lois decided she would promise to move out of his apartment as soon as it was safe, and she would never look back. They could remain friends, perhaps work together at the Planet. But once the Boss was arrested---which Lois was determined *would* happen, one way or another---Clark would no longer be under any obligation to her. Until then, as long as he did it discreetly, he could date whomever he wanted...

Lois felt the tears well up again. God, could she actually tell him that? The thought of him with anyone else sent a knife in her gut and she realized she cared for him way more than she had any right to. She tried to tell herself that it was as Perry had said, that she simply was grateful to be leaning on such a kind, handsome guy. But in her heart, with the thought of facing a future without Clark, she knew it went so much deeper.

*~*~*~*

Clark arrived back at his apartment, quietly hiding the case with the strange rock in his balcony storage unit until he could find time to deal with it. He came around to the front entrance, uncertain what he’d find.
“Lois?” he tentatively called as he entered.
When he didn’t hear her, he scanned the apartment and listened for her heartbeat. She wasn’t here, he realized, starting to panic. His first thought was the Boss, but there didn’t seem to be any sign of struggle in the apartment.

Clark called Perry in hopes that she was at the Planet. “Hey Perry, have you seen---Linda?”
“No, uh... she called last night looking for you, though.”

“What did you tell her, Chief?” Clark asked with dread, beginning to wonder if she had left because of their phone conversation last night.

“Well, Son, I told her the truth. I had sent you home, and I didn’t know about any stakeout.”

“Great... “ Clark groaned. “I’ll be in as soon as I find her,” he said, hanging up the phone.

Clark was almost tempted to break out his new suit and go flying around the city in search of Lois, but he had promised himself he’d wait until an occasion truly warranted a superhero. He just prayed that this *wasn’t* that occasion...
That no one had kidnapped her or...

His front door suddenly swung open, and there stood Lois, in sweats, looking like she had spent a miserable night.

“Are you okay?” he asked, coming towards her, visibly relieved that she was intact, at least physically.

“Don’t touch me, ” she said in a low voice as he reached to hug her.

“Lois? Did something happen last night?”

She glared at him, her eyes glassy with tears. “I don’t know, Clark. You tell me.”
She swept passed him, shutting the front door and heading towards the sofa.

Clark sighed, wondering how much trouble he was in. “Perry said you called the Planet last night,” he began hesitantly.

She turned to him and nodded. “You weren’t on a stakeout,” Lois said, her stance challenging him to deny it, though her voice trembled.

“I—“ Clark began, looking helplessly at her, unsure what to say.

“Who is she?” Lois asked in a voice barely above a whisper. Then waving her hands dismissively, “No, don’t tell me. I don’t want to know. I don’t know why I care so much,” she looked up, as if she could keep the tears from falling. “I mean, you don’t owe me anything. We’re not married! It’s all a ruse, right? Why should I have expected anything different?”

Clark felt numb, having no idea how to counteract her accusation. He couldn’t tell her the truth, that he had been in Smallville and oh, a strange rock incapacitated him so he couldn’t fly back last night... she knew nothing about him! <<Think, Clark!>> “Lois... I wasn’t with a woman last night. I—“ he braced his hands loosely on his hips and sighed, trying to think what to say.

She looked up at him, daring him to continue. “Where were you, then? And why did you lie?”

“I—I *was* on a story. I just---haven’t had a chance to fill Perry in on it yet. Lois, I promise, there is no one else in my life. I swear.”

She crossed her arms, still apparently hurt. She eyed him speculatively, “Clark, I want to believe you. More than anything,” she whispered. “But I just don’t. Everything you’ve been to me up until last night has seemed completely forthright---which is why I’m utterly baffled by you lying to me now... She paced in front of him, “I was right to some extent... you are an open book... most of the time. Which is why I’m willing to bet my Kerth awards that you were doing anything but working on a story last night!”

Clark sighed, utterly defeated. He couldn’t answer her. Had no way of explaining to her the truth and he bet she wouldn’t believe it even if he did.

Lois stopped pacing and eyed him carefully, seeming to make up her mind about something. “Luthor’s ball is tonight. Perry gave me some expense money for a dress yesterday. I’m going shopping and I’ll meet you there at eight,” she said, emotion gone from her voice.

“Lois---“ Clark pleaded.

“Clark, you don’t owe me an explanation, you’re right. I’ll be out of your hair as soon as---as soon as I can, I promise. But for now, I’ll see you at the ball tonight at eight.”

*~*~*~*

Clark met Lois at the curb outside the LexCorp building. He had worried over her all the rest of the afternoon, wondering if she would really try to leave him. Wondering if he should try to explain his absence truthfully--but always coming up in the negative. She needed the blur, and she needed him to remain disassociated with Clark Kent, especially if he was planning on going public about helping people. He knew it could make him and anyone associated with him a target. He even wavered on his decision to become a public superhero several times that afternoon, worried over that very notion. In the end, he decided that he’d only do it if there was a situation that absolutely warranted him taking the risks. For now, he planned on trying to woo Lois back and finding out as much as he could about Lex Luthor.

Lois stepped out of the cab in a full-length royal blue gown, the satin shimmering against her curves. Her shoulders were bare and creamy, draped with a black chiffon scarf. Her hair was swept up, displaying the diamond studs on her ears. In short, she was stunning.

Clark reached his hand out to her to help her out of the cab. He couldn’t say anything. He was rendered speechless by her poise and beauty.

She accepted his hand, though she pulled away immediately once free from the cab. She stood staring at him for a moment. Their eyes were locked as each searched for something to say.

“Clark, I’ve got to fix my hair. I-I’ll meet you inside,” she said quickly, breaking the magnetic contact of their eyes.

Clark watched her walk away, noticing every man in the vicinity was suddenly drawn to the most beautiful woman at Luthor’s event.

*~*~*~*

Lois stared at herself in the powder room mirror, trying to collect her emotions. Clark had looked gorgeous in his tuxedo. She knew he had been impressed with her turn out as well, but it didn’t change the fact that he had lied about where he was the other night. But she was Mrs. Kent to this crowd, and she would have to play the part as best she could and dance with her ‘husband.’

She was also a reporter on a story. She was infinitely curious about Lex Luthor and this space station. The more she had read about him last night, the more intrigued she had become. He seemed like an incredible philanthropist and she couldn’t believe that Clark had even suggested he might be the Boss. It seemed patently absurd! But she would approach him with an open mind, and learn what she could tonight.

Lois took a bracing breath and headed out the door into the crowd. She spotted Clark and began making her way back towards him, when suddenly Lex Luthor was announced to the awaiting crowd.

She stopped to watch the elegant billionaire enter the ballroom. He was poised, confident, and quite handsome. Lois gradually drifted closer to the small balcony from where he was about to speak.

Luthor humbly bowed before the riotous applause at his appearance. A careless cigar hung unlit in his fingers as he began to address the crowd. “Honored guests. We're here tonight for a good cause. As you know, I have dedicated my life to improving the quality of the lives of the citizens of Metropolis. Tonight, I'd like to go further.”

He walked down the staircase, with a small entourage in tow. They came to a holographic platform that Luthor switched on, stirring gasps of interest in the crowd. “I have decided to commit my total financial support toward the building of a privately owned space laboratory. I have submitted my proposal to the Congress of Nations and I am awaiting their go-ahead. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you... Space Station Luthor!”

Applause followed as Lois continued to edge her way closer to Luthor. She found herself oddly drawn to him. What a philanthropist!

Luthor, a man who knew about showmanship, pressed another button that moved the hologram to highlight the many features of his proposed space station. “An engineering marvel. Signpost to a new age in exploration and scientific advancement. A gift to the future of mankind.”

Luthor accepted the applause and then headed towards another doorway, possibly to avoid the crowd. Lois had heard that he was quite reclusive. But she wasn’t about to let him get away that easily. She felt excitement fill her veins, the old excitement of chasing a story. She momentarily brushed aside her worries—including those about Clark---and went for the story. She simply had to interview Lex Luthor.

Lois skirted around some people and put herself between Luthor and the doorway, sticking out her hand to shake his. “Linda Kent, Daily Planet.”

Lois had felt pretty safe using her alias at the party. Perry had had to submit a list of guests to Lex Luthor’s people. At the very least, presenting her as married, Luthor would know that there was someone looking out for her.

“Linda Kent, is it?” he said, taking her hand with an amused smile on his face.

She didn’t think it would be wise to barrage him with questions right away, seeing that he was trying to dart off to avoid that very prospect. She decided to use her charm to get him to talk to her.

“Mr. Luthor, how can you leave without dancing with your guests?” she said demurely, noticing that he seemed to eye her appreciatively.

“How–- remiss of me, Mrs. Kent. Would you like to dance?”

She nodded and let him lead her to the dance floor. As he pulled her into his arms, she felt a small thrill. There was something magnetic about him that thrilled her, even as it unnerved her.

“I hope you will forgive me for being so bold, but—“ she began.

His lips curved into a sensuous smile, “Boldness is a trait I find very attractive in a woman, Mrs. Kent.”

She demurred, “Oh, thank you… Anyway, I was wondering Mr. Luthor---“

“Lex,” he corrected.

“Lex,” she said, feeling her cheeks redden. “I know you’re hesitant to give interviews---“

“I hope you can understand, a man in my position. I wouldn't want to be misinterpreted, and I have had one or two bad experiences with the media.”

“But not with the Daily Planet, I believe.”

He pulled her closer, a strange mix of admiration and challenge in his eyes. “Why don’t we make it dinner?”

Suddenly, Clark was at their side. He cleared his throat, “Mind if I dance with my *wife*?”

Lex stepped back, offering Lois to Clark. “My apologies Mr. Kent. I was just getting to know your—wife. Just how long have you two known each other?”

Lois glanced at Clark with a ‘don’t blow it’ look and Clark responded, “Well, it was a whirlwind romance. We met while---working on a story and---fell in love.”

Lex smiled as if he had a secret and then laughed warmly. “Ah, yes, love… Very well, I’ll have my secretary contact you for that—interview, Mrs. Kent.”

Lex walked away and Clark turned Lois to face him. “Lois, what are you doing?” he asked in a low voice.

She didn’t like being manhandled and jerked her arm out of his grip. “Being a reporter. You should try it some time,” she said testily.

“Lois, I don’t trust him.” Clark moved her off the dance floor, where there were less people around “He could be the Boss, for all we know and here you are dancing with him!“ he said between clenched teeth.

“He seems perfectly legitimate. And he wants to help people. Shouldn’t we support that?”

“Just, please, be careful.”

“Why does it matter what I do, Clark?” she said, her resolve to defend Luthor wavering. “If he is the Boss, then I’ll find out, one way or another,” she said recklessly.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

She sighed, “It means---if he’s after me, I’ll know. I’m going to dinner with him. Besides, you don’t own me, Clark.” She dropped her gaze suddenly, and whispered half to herself, “And maybe---I deserve whatever I get.”

She turned away from him, heading outside to one of the balconies. She didn’t want him to see her tears. She didn’t know who she could trust, even though she wanted to trust Clark. But he had violated the fragile trust she had had in him by lying about last night. It sent her into a tailspin, almost wishing the Boss would find her and be done with it. Maybe she deserved to die--- she knew she had a lot to atone for.

Lois sighed, leaning against the edge of the balcony, looking out over the city. She could feel Clark’s eyes on her, knowing he had followed her.

She felt him come up behind her. “Where’s the fighter I saw the other night? The one who would stop at nothing to take down the Boss?” he asked softly.

Lois turned to him, eyes shimmering with tears. “She’s shaken… Lost.”

“Lois, I—I’m sorry about last night. I swear I wasn’t with another woman. I was just---taking care of some personal business.”

She nodded, “’Personal business,’ huh? Why can’t you tell me what it is, Clark? You’ve said you love me and I can’t help feeling that if you do, it’s only on your own terms, which is unfair. I’ve told you everything about me---well, almost everything,” she amended, thinking of the horrible night when she had aimed a gun at him. “You know enough about me to destroy me. I’ve done horrible things that I can never---forget. If I’m to trust you with my heart, then you have to trust me with yours.”

He sighed, hanging his head in dismay. “Can you give me a little time?”

She laughed, slightly exasperated. “Time? Why? So you can hide your trail? Hide whatever secret you’re keeping? I don’t understand why you won’t tell me. I can’t imagine anything worse than what I told you… Clark, please, just tell me! I’m not naïve!”

“I will tell you, Lois. I promise. Just—not yet. Not until the Boss is taken care of. It’s too dangerous for you.”

She crossed her arms, angry. “Clark, I’m not some ‘little woman’ who needs protecting! Either we open up to each other or this won’t work!”

He stepped closer to her. “So what secret haven’t you told me?”

“Oh, no you don’t!” she said, backing away from him. “Clark, that’s not fair, and you know it!”

“Fine,” he relented, lifting his palms facing her in surrender. “You’re right. I’m sorry…”

Words hung in the air unspoken. Lois turned to him, a hurt expression on her face. “I—I guess I’m sorry, too… I just wish you’d tell me what’s really going on!”

Clark sighed, “I—just can’t right now, Lois. Please… trust me…. Now, will you rejoin the party… as my wife?”

Lois finally relented and Clark walked her back inside, offering to get her a glass of champagne. She nodded and stood waiting for him to return by the hors d’oeuvres buffet. Lois wouldn’t relent her defensive pose, with her arms crossed in front of her, feeling like it was the only thing that was holding her up. Clark was right, she was being reckless, going so far as to flirt with Lex Luthor!

She rubbed her arms, suddenly chilled by the thought that he could be the Boss. The man was suave and charming, but charming like a snake. <<Maybe I deserve whatever I get,>> her words came back to her.

She glanced up and saw Clark coming towards her with two flutes of champagne. He looked devastatingly handsome in his tuxedo and she couldn’t help but appreciate the grace of how his body moved, how even when he was most uncertain he still radiated kindness and openness.

She sighed inwardly. << I certainly don’t deserve *him*.>>

*~*~*~*

Clark brought Lois the champagne, hoping it would calm her. He took a sip himself and for the first time wished alcohol affected him, wishing he could ease the uncomfortable feeling that had settled itself in his chest. He hated lying to Lois, but he had no idea how to even begin to explain himself to her. He had been on his own for so many years, since his horrible break up with Lana, that he had had no reason to give serious thought to having to explain things to someone he loved. And some of the things he didn’t entirely know the answers to.

After a few moments of uncomfortable silence as they sipped their champagne, the band started playing one of Clark’s favorite songs, “Fly Me To The Moon.” He gently set his and Lois’ glasses on one of the nearby tables.

He lightly took her elbow, rubbing his thumb gently on her forearm to coax her. “Dance with me, Lois. Please.”

Her eyes met his, and she nodded. He pulled her into his arms, her soft body warm against his as they began swaying sensuously to the music. Clark leaned down to whisper in her ear. “Lois… whatever else is going on in your mind, please just know that I would never do anything to betray you. I care about you, honey… whether you’re really my wife or not, you are my heart.”

She didn’t answer, but she did move in slightly closer to him, settling her head on his chest. He gently rubbed her back, enjoying their closeness, and hoped it wasn’t short-lived.

*~*~*~*

They got home after midnight. Lois hobbled into the living room, taking off her high heels as she went.

“I’m exhausted,” she said, stretching. They had danced for most of the rest of the night. It had been magical, really. They barely spoke words, yet their eyes and their bodies conveyed any number of nuanced declarations. It had seemed to take both of them back to the night they met in the Congo, when the music had made them so uninhibited that they had ended up making love…

Clark had thought that tonight, after a few hours of dancing, some of their closeness had returned. He knew she still doubted him a bit, but he hoped that she’d forgive him.

“Yeah, I’m beat too. Take my bed. I’ll—sleep out here,” he gestured to the sofa.

She nodded, too tired to argue, as she headed into the bedroom.

“Hey,” he called gently to her. She turned to him, her heels still dangling in her hands. “Come here a second,” he said with a warm smile.

She moved back towards him, a smile playing on her own lips.

“No matter how today or even this evening started… I loved dancing with you tonight,” he said, leaning to kiss her cheek.

He pulled back to judge her reaction. Her cheeks flushed pink. “Me too, Clark. I felt… free… Haven’t felt that way in a long time,” she said, her warm eyes possibly conveying the same memory that had haunted him for most of the night---the night they met in the Congo.

Clark stood there a moment, wanting to somehow capture the memory of both tonight and that reckless one, deep in the jungle. But secrets hung between them still. His secrets… and although he thought he knew all of hers, she was still too wounded to move into anything serious yet.

“Good night, Lois,” he said instead.

“Good night, Clark,” she whispered, poised to turn into his room. Then suddenly, she pivoted back and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him soundly.

“Good night,” she said again softer after the kiss, disappearing into the bedroom. Clark wanted to follow her, but used all of his will power to stay put… they’d get there again… but not yet.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink