Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yay, you posted -- twice!! smile1

Part 16:
You will be assaulted constantly by their emotions of fear and hatred and you will have to put aside your own sense of injustice over being blamed for things you didn't do.
That's going to be really hard on both Clarks. frown
--even though Clark had already gone through it with Lois. You made a valid point that it would probably be much harder on Kent.

He he, liked how Herb popped up in the conversation... I think I forgot he was there. wink

Looking forward to more -- and I really hope we get to meet the real Kal-El of this world soon!

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey L I was so glad to see this again. It has been a while but it is one of my favorite all time L n C tales. I am withyou until the end no matter how long it takes. You accomplished quite a bit here with these two chapters and I am looking forward to seeing the Clone overthrown. I am also interested in Kal El of this world being rescued. I can't wait to find out what This worlds Lois thinks of him once she has met the real deal. It would be nice to see how he will turn her fear and hatred around. But the fact that he is married to Zara is going to be interesting as well. How will they get out of that? Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, Yay, and Hooray! *Two* parts!

Comments for part 15, and I'm warning you that I tend to go on and on...

Displaying a bravado that belied the sheer terror that she was feeling, LL turned to study both Kryptonian versions of the man she hated most in the universe and tamped down the ever present waves of terror that had assaulted her as soon as she had been forced to endure their presence.
It would be hard to relate to her sheer terror - her worst nightmare in front of her, doubled. Talk about immersion therapy.

If she trusted any Kryptonian, it was Zara. Zara had well earned her trust and her friendship.
I'd really like to hear the backstory on this sometime. Is it just that Zara got LL out of the palace, out of the evil Kal-El's reach? Are there other reasons that LL trusts Zara so completely? Trusting any Kryptonian must be a huge leap of faith for LL.

...the Kryptonian who claimed to be married to this version of her, a thought which made LL sick to her stomach...
I can see how LL would see the Lane-Kent marriage as some sort of nasty perversion, given her experiences with Clone-El. I like how, pretty much in the very next line, you show LL realizing that Lane and Kent have a loving relationship.

This other Lois didn't seem to mind the contact [with Kent], even though she was under an emotional attack from a version of Kal-El who had raped and tortured her.
That's very moving. Lois, the damaged Lois (and I really like that description, because it's so true) has healed enough to tolerate and even want the touch of a Kal-El. I wonder if LL can ever heal that much. LL seems much more damaged than Lois. And, expanding on this theme, what about Lane? She's never been abused by her Kal-El, but wouldn't seeing the other two Loises perhaps make her wonder about the strangeness of the universes? Why did Lane end up with the good-guy Kent? (Or course, damaged Lois ended up with in-a-sense-damaged alt-Clark too.) And I'm not really sure where I'm going with this paragraph.

There was such weird intimacy between the mismatched couples that a nervous thought ran through her mind. Do they ever swap partners?

The idea made her want to throw up and brought to mind new fears. What if they ever confused her for one of these others? She would have to do something to her appearance to make it vividly clear that she was not one of the ones who would ever accept that kind of relationship with them.
Oh wow, what a wonderful little bit. It immediately started at least two trains of thought. And yes, one train of thought was nfic fodder. But the other was about sadness - if LL persists in this thinking, she won't ever get together with her soulmate, the real Kal-El.

They were handsome men when their faces weren't shaped by haughty arrogance and cruelty, and to see them looking at the women with such love and concern - it was enough to slightly penetrate the bitter cold around her own heart. That kind of love was rare, and the idea that these two had found it with Kal-El seemed inconceivable. Yet the proof was right here.
I love this bit. Seeing the way that the "good Clarks" look at their women must really up-end everything that LL thought she knew about Kryptonians.

LL felt tears burning under her lids. The idea that these four shared such a warm camaraderie cut her to the quick. Love and friendship had never come easily to her, and now she felt sure they would never come again.
I'm hoping very much that as this fic progresses, you'll show us the change in LL from a bitter, tortured (literally) soul into the great Lois Lane that we know she can be.

But they had shown compassion, love and tenderness to the other Lois Lane when she was suffering under the onslaught of Lord Kal's sending. And it was this that tipped the scales in their favor. While LL would always find them utterly terrifying to be around, she knew that they had honor and decency and they would commit themselves to freeing her world. She knew this, because she too was Lois Lane, and as sick as the idea made her, they probably would do it for her.
Oh, well-written! They have a task that none of them looks forward to. But a task which must be done.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
OK, more blatherations, now on Part 16:

Forcing back her [LL's] fear at being regarded so closely by two Kal-Els...
How difficult is this job going to be, if their "native guide" can barely stand to be in the same room as the two guys who are of supreme importance to the mission?

...LL herself didn't truly accept that either Kal-El wasn't dangerous.
I wonder if LL will ever accept that. The Clarks *are* dangerous. They have those Kryptonian powers. The only thing restraining them are their own consciences. Since LL has been in close proximity to a version of the Clarks whose philosophy seems to be "Might is right", it's obvious why she's just a tad nervous around them.

As healed as her doppelganger seemed, there was underlying pain and hatred that would always be there under the surface. Perhaps then, there was hope for her to live and love again one day when this was all over.
Perhaps that is one of the hardest things for LL - to actually hope. I can see that LL couldn't relate to Lane (canon Lois) at all. Lane has never been tortured or abused by the Kryptonian. But damaged Lois has, and damaged Lois has managed to come to terms with it. So now LL has Lois as, not really a goal, but an example.

Perhaps then, there was hope for her to live and love again one day when this was all over. Just not, as this other had done, with Kal-El. She shuddered violently at the idea.
Again, marrying Kal-El would seem like the worst kind of perversion and miscegenation to LL.

"Zara brought upon the wrath of Kal-El onto herself," LL said, her voice breaking a little as she recalled it. "She did it for me..."

"It's a story that doesn't need telling," Zara said.
Oh man, you're tantalizing me here! Please tell me that in some future chapter, we might get the LL-Zara backstory!

"But I promise you, I want to help. I won't crack under the pressure and start complaining or yelling at people. I know I have to bear up under it."
Not to say that Kent might not bitch about it to Lane, privately. I could see Kent & Lane talking about this much more openly than Lois & Clark - or maybe not. L&C have had to deal with this a lot (see "Long Strange Trip" ) so L&C have a template for talking about this distressing topic.

Zara gave them a small smile, seeing in them the man she always believed that her Kal-El would have become.
This is so poignant. The potential.

"That being said, we will all need to spend time together coming up with the best plan for rescuing Kal-El and re-establishing his right to lead my people."
Can they do some of this planning over here in this universe, where Clone-El and his henchmen can't eavesdrop? Or do they have to get more information from the Clone-El world to make their plans?

"I know my duty," Zara said firmly. "I will not shirk it. I owe the human race this duty and I will see it through. I can only hope that my memories of the real Kal-El ring true, and that he has become like the two of you. Then perhaps, my duty to my own people - to be his wife and recover from this assault on our very honor - won't be so unpleasant."
Yay Zara! She's a true heroine.

"Your presence in our world should not be too prolonged. We must act quickly and decisively and with the greatest chances of success."
Yep. Once the Clarks have gone to the other world, it's going to be very difficult to keep their presence a secret. Doppelgangers of the world's conquerer are there - that's just too juicy of a gossip item to keep under wraps for any time at all. I expect that once Lane, Kent, Lois and Clark get to the Clone-El world, that things will move quickly.

Unless they don't. Unless our heroes have to spend some time in hiding, in the presence of LL, who hates and detests them. What would be LL's reaction to being forced to spend lots of time in close proximity to Kent and Clark? Would she get to know them better, and come to accept them more fully? Or would that just be needless torture for LL right now?

You're really making me wonder about this fic, L! I keep on constructing scenarios in my head, wondering what's going to happen next. I can't wait for more. Please post more soon.

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great update! it was great to see it from LL's point. And endearing how she started to form all the right conclusions, even if it twisted her stomach.

There was such weird intimacy between the mismatched couples that a nervous thought ran through her mind. Do they ever swap partners?
Yeah... The Loises just wouldn't let go of the idea. They always had been sort of in-love with themselves. shock

And even though that's not going to happen, wouldn't it be fun if the real Kal-El started to hover around LL's place with chocolates and stuff, bobbing up and down on a theater like a helium balloon.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Bringing this up to the top. It has been quite a while L? Any new chapters coming or is this it? I hope you are still planning on finishing. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
not forgotten - just busy with RL. Work has been nuts and doing lots of skiing. I promise to get one out soon

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good L I will look forward to the rest of the story. thanks. Laura

Caroline's "Stardust"

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard