Next Thread
Print Thread
#76950 01/30/11 01:21 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
This isn't my usual type of story, and I'm normally not very into next-gen fic, but a snippet of dialogue from it (the part about Ben's having to risk death to get Clark's attention) came to me early last week and it wasn't about to let me go until I wrote a story around it. And I've learned that when my muse is that insistent, I would be wise to cede to her wishes.

As always, all comments are welcomed.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
I loved how Clark's son was an Eagle Scout--so like his big Boy Scout in blue father!

I can’t even be mad at you without you trying to make me feel guilty about it.
I remember a certain female reporter feeling the same way 'round about the time of 'Just say Noah.' Something along the lines of " You know how wonderful it feels being angry with a 'national treasure?' wink

My boy is just like me.
Aww... clap

...and then listened to the song. I forgot I knew this song. It is a fear every busy parent faces, I think. So I think really the final line is appropriate. Clark can be proud that his son is like him, but maybe his son can also learn like Clark eventually did, that he needs to put those closest to him first. If Clark can pass on that lesson, then Ben will be in good shape. smile

Nice story, Lynn! Thanks for sharing!

smile

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That was a nice progression of events thumbsup I think it's fitting that their son threw his teenage tantrum on the, very much explained, reason for his fathers absence. Much better than had he thrown it without knowing. clap

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Great story!

I liked the progression of events too and that, later on, Ben understood his father just a little better.

Thanks for sharing clap

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awww! How sweet. Poor Ben; and poor Clark, knowing what he was putting Ben through and not being able to do much about it. I'm glad the kid finally came around.

~•~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Awwwwwww!!! mecry Wonderful:

“... My boy is just like me.”
Aw Clark!

EvelynC
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
MozartMaid,
I loved how Clark's son was an Eagle Scout--so like his big Boy Scout in blue father!
You've hit upon another reason for the title of this story. (A third is that, as a little boy, Ben was blue (in the sense of feeling down) at his father's absences.)

I remember a certain female reporter feeling the same way 'round about the time of 'Just say Noah.'
I hadn't been thinking about that when I wrote the story, but you are absolutely right.

Michael, thanks. I hadn't even considered writing the story without Ben learning the secret fairly early on. I think it would have stretched credulity that he could get to his teen years without getting suspicious of the "Daddy's gone to work" excuse. (Then again, if he took after his mother, all bets are off. wink )

DW, I wonder what would have happened in the father-son relationship had Ben *not* been super. I would guess that it would have improved a bit anyway, once he outgrew the "terrible teen" years. But there's nothing like walking (flying) a mile in someone else's shoes (red boots) to really understand where they are coming from.

Queen of the Capes, I felt sorry for Clark, too. He really was in a no-win situation for most of the story. Actually, I felt sorry for both characters for most of the story. It couldn't have been fun having a father who might take off literally at any second -- and frequently did. Even though Clark had the best of reasons for leaving each time, collectively, the absences couldn't help but adversely affect Ben's relationship with his father during his youth.

Evelyn, glad you liked the ending. Thanks for the FDK. smile

Joy,
Lynn

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
What a great story! I know the Harry Chapin song well and you've captured the essence of it in a positive way. It's neat that you've mixed the dilema most parents have about spending time with their kids and balancing with their work life, yet introduced the super hero twist as well.

I was pleased they told Ben Clark's secret. To hide that too long would've strained the relationship. I was a little surprised he could keep such a secret, knowing kids. But knowing the seriousness of the situation - that could have huge impact.

I love how Ben came to realize exactly what his Dad deals with and how Clark helped him along.

Great story!

Joan

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Really enjoyed this story. Glad it was much more upbeat than the "Cat's Cradle" song.

The breakfast in bed cracked me up. We're not at that stage with our kids, but I've definitely heard my parents recall how the moment they heard us rummaging around in the kitchen, they'd jump out of bed to not have to suffer through our "treat". laugh

I loved the slow maturation of Ben. First upset not knowing why Clark leaves, next understanding why he leaves but still being mad about it, and finally getting his super powers and really having a chance to walk in Clark's shoes and see how his Dad has lived all these years.

Nice work!

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Joan, thank you for your FDK. I'm delighted that you think I've managed to capture the essence of the song despite the positive ending. I had not originally set out to write anything related to the song, but it just seemed to fit. (As I mentioned in an earlier post, my muse insisted that I write a story around the teenage tantrum line about having to risk death to get Clark's attention.)

Emily, I've never experienced such a "treat" myself, but I have heard horror stories. Makes me wonder just how bad the "special breakfasts" I helped prepare as a child were. Maybe I'll ask my Mom about it some time.

One of the nice things about fiction is how one can compress time as much as one wants. I pity Clark having to wait so long for his son to come around.

And I'm really hoping that my own son's "terrible teen" years aren't as bad as all that. I fear, however, that they will probably be worse...I guess I'll find out in a few years.

Thanks for the feedback. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
notworthy Nicely done. Thank your muse for me. smile

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you, Vicki.

And my muse says, "You're welcome. I'll gladly take payments in the form of virtual double fudge crunch bars." I guess she thinks I don't feed her enough. wink

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just got around to reading this one. And thumbsup

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Virginia,

Thanks for the feedback. I always love receiving FDK (what author doesn't?), but it is especially nice when it is for an older story; it feels like a bonus surprise. smile

I have written a few downer stories, but for the most part, I do try to keep my fiction, at least the endings, upbeat.

This story actually did not originate from the song. The son's line about having to jump off a building to get his father's attention came to me when I was half asleep (that's actually when I get most of my ideas), and the story wove itself around that line. It was only while I was writing the story that I thought about how well the song fit the mood of most of the story. I couldn't resist borrowing lines from the song to use as the title and to conclude the story.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn, when I first read the title of your story (before reading the story itself) I was thinking of the nursery rhyme - you know the one with the cows in the corn... blush laugh I had no idea what kind of story yours might be with THAT reference. I love that old Cat Stevens version of the song though. Always brings tears to my eyes. thumbsup

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Virginia,

Actually, I had figured that most people would think of the nursery rhyme first. I must admit that "Little Boy Blue" is perhaps my favourite of the titles for my stories, because it "fits" in so many ways:

1) The song lyrics
2) The nursery rhyme (since it does start off with Ben being about,or only slightly older than, the age that kids enjoy nursery rhymes.)
3) Ben is the son of "Big Blue" and his Suit is even more blue than Clark's.
4) Ben was sad (blue) for a while because of his father's frequent absences

I usually struggle to find titles that are eye-catching and descriptive of the story, but that don't give too much away. I was quite pleased with the title of this one.

Thanks again for the feedback. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard