Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Lurking in the shadows of her consciousness was the knowledge that she would have to leave him to finalise their preparations. She didn't need to think about it yet. There was still time.

Too much time.

Lois checked her watch. One hour had passed.

One hour.

It felt as if that hour had been plucked from reality and transported to an ethereal realm with neither beginning nor hope of an end.

Lois ran her fingers through his hair again. "I'm here," she said. She closed her eyes and rested her cheek against his head.

Clark jerked suddenly. "S...someone ... s'coming."
Thanks!

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
My heart was pounding during the Scardino scene, right along with Lois's! Eek!! notworthy

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! You could really feel the anxiety in that chapter! Excellent writing!

The preview sure was an evil cliffhanger!!! I wonder who is coming... Scardino or Shadbolt... or someone else?!

Can't wait for the next one! But then I am sure you'll leave us at the end of 25 totally hanging out for Trail 1.

notworthy

Cheers
Elizabeth

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dizzy shock

I don't have any regular words for this!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh.My.God! My heart was in my throat the entire update, dreading the inevitable.

He took a ragged breath. "There's only one possible way."

A wave of horror almost capsized her. "How long will it take?"
*sob* mecry

She jolted from his touch and glared at him. "Don't offer me a way out now," she said in a shaky voice. She pointed to the window. "Just a few hours ago, you told me that you loved me. You can't retreat from that now."

"I'm not retreating," he said, clearly taken aback by her outburst. "I'm offering you the chance to -"

"Didn't you hear what I said to you?" Lois cried. "Or did you think I didn't mean it?"
Glad they got that out of the way.

Lois pressed her fist against her mouth to stop her tears from exploding into an uncontrollable blizzard of despair.
Her control throughout is impressive.

"OK." Lois felt like she was caught in a swiftly flowing river that was pushing her towards a huge drop. She had to keep clawing her way back. If she stopped scrambling for just a moment, she would go over the edge and disintegrate into a blubbering mess.
What a poignant picture you've painted.

Lois fell to the mattress. She lifted his head onto her lap and looked down into his face.

A face that was contorted with pain.
Gah! At least she is there; he's not alone this time.

And the preview... who could it be?

Shadbolt returning? Seems unlikely since Lois didn't give him the full details of what Scardino ordered.

Scardino coming to check progress? This might be the best case scenario. After only an hour of exposure Clark's not completely at their mercy.

Menzies? He's shown little interest in observing first hand thus far, why start now?

Longford? Maybe coming to collect his stuff? That wouldn't be so bad. Last and definitely worst...

Moyne? eek I don't know how he would have found out what's going down or if he's just happened by the compound. He just may have a 6th sense for Clark's suffering. Whatever brought him there, it can't be good.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
EEK!!!

Who is coming???

Thank you for such quick updates here! I cannot express how much I love this fic - it is truly amazing.

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ahk blech!

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, I'm going to comment before I read part 25 even though I see it is up.

Now we are in for the fun stuff.

Obviously, Lois and Clark are going to have to go on the run and that means... disguises.

Lois will quickly find out that a wig won't work. Unless they are the ridiculously expensive ones that you would see in movies and are expertly put on by a Hollywood makeup artist wigs are obvious. Nearly anyone can tell if someone is wearing a wig and rather than help 'disguise' someone it has the opposite effect. It would draw more attention to the person and cause many to actually pay them more attention.

Thus, Lois will realize that to truly affect a disguise she'll have to take the plunge and cut her hair short. It's really the only logical thing to do... really.

Tank (who thinks it might be funny if Lois fell asleep while they were exposing Clark to the 'rods' and when she woke up he was... dead)

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
I counldn't wait to read part 25 after I saw it was up - not even long even to comment on 24 laugh

This was great (again) and you wrote Lois' emotions and reactions really well, especially the part about keeping it together to not fall completely apart.

The shock - Lois' thinking she had more time to get Clark out, having to expose him to the rods and it feeling like a betrayal and Clark' for finally being free (which I don't think he clearly grasped until he got out --- ok, I'm skipping ahead wink - will only hit later on.

smile

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just read over your replies form part 22 and noticed I *could* have known beforehand of the updates. Oh well, this way it was a true surprise hyper

His nervousness confirmed Lois's suspicion. This was the end. They were taking her from the operation. Her focus now had to be about ensuring they allowed her one final shift.
I did wonder if she would be trying to sound practical and just establish that killing the alien herself would be the best way to deal with this.

"He's ordered that all trace of it be destroyed."
Hmm... so what about Scardino and Menzies? Did Lois's boss just order her to terminate them, too? After all, as long as there's somebody breathing who knows about this, it won't be truly gone. hyper

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
So much has already been said, I won't repeat it. An additional thought, though: I may just have this on my brain (don't know why wink ), but Lois reminding herself about the necessity of Clark's pain for the sake of his freedom, and her determination to comfort him with her presence sent my mind straight to a husband comforting his wife during labor--he can't stop the pain, which makes him feel helpless, but his very presence eases it for her. Poor Clark doesn't have the option of an epidural, though. wink

It's awful that Clark has to suffer, but one can hope that the suffering also contains an underlying strain of hope since it is not pointless, but rather suffering for a purpose. It also reminds me of that line in Hebrews, "who for the joy set before him endured the cross..." This has got to be better than the times Clark was tortured just for Trask and Moyne's sick amusement.

Off to watch the football (gridiron, as you'd say) playoffs. Two divisional championships today, then the two winners play each other in the Superbowl in two weeks.

Happy holiday!

This *is* my happily ever after.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
MozartMaid

but I have a feeling we will have to wait til Trail to know for sure they got out of there safe!
They got *out* safely in Bridge! wink

Elizabeth I guess a lot could have gone wrong - Moyne walking in while Lois was cutting a hole in Clark wouldn't have been good wink but I have other plans for them.

Joy Thanks. I'll take 'no words' as a compliment wink

Emily

dreading the inevitable.
The inevitable? I got them out without too many problems. wink

Menzies? He's shown little interest in observing first hand thus far, why start now?
Because until now, he's tried to stay away - he doesn't like Moyne much either. Now, he decided that if he gave the orders, he should check that they are being carried out.

Bellarase I'm so glad you're still enjoying it.

Laura Yeah, but it could have been worse.

Tank

Thus, Lois will realize that to truly affect a disguise she'll have to take the plunge and cut her hair short. It's really the only logical thing to do... really.
But if she went to a hairdresser, that would leave a clue to anyone tracking her. So, she would have to get Clark to do it ... that could be interesting!

who thinks it might be funny if Lois fell asleep while they were exposing Clark to the 'rods' and when she woke up he was... dead
I'm not sure everyone would find that scenario funny, Tank. wink But if you wrote it, I would read it.

DW In her job, I think Lois would have had times of 'holding it together'.

The shock ... yeah.

Michael

After all, as long as there's somebody breathing who knows about this, it won't be truly gone.
But that would be true about any operation - which is why, I imagine, they have confidentuality clauses in their contracts.

HappyGirl The similarities to a woman in labour occured to me, too.

I think it would have been better for Clark - for the reasons you give - and also because he knew that there would be an end.

Thanks so much for the great FDK. Trail 8 is written. I hope to get it edited and to the BRs and then get most of 9 written before I post Trail 1.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard