Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
She walked into a large room where the towering ceilings and elegant decor made it feel more like a showpiece mansion than a home where people lived. To her left, there was a small cosy room with wide south-facing windows. Four people were seated around a large table - three women and one man. Lois entered the room and walked up to the man. "Mr O'Brien?" she asked.

He smiled with warm recognition. "Sit down," he said. "How lovely of you to visit me."

Lois sat next to him. "How are you, Mr O'Brien?"

He chuckled delightedly. "Call me 'Reuben'," he said. "You'll make me feel old if you call me 'Mr O'Brien'."
Thanks!

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Awwwww, he finds her sleep-mussed hair endearing. thumbsup

I can't wait to read more. Especially as concerns our debate in the previous fdk thread re: Menzies. I'm so curious to see where you are going with that!

Loving this story...

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
ahhhh, great part!

Merriwether
Merriwether
Little by little, we're learning more about the side characters ... first Menzies, now Shadbolt. A single father raising two girls alone; no wonder he needs a stable work schedule. I wonder what his "cover" is -- do his girls and their friends just assume he has a desk job somewhere? (Which isn't all that far off, especially now that Lois has taken over and he no longer has "torture prisoner" on his to-do list a few days a week ...) I have a friend whose dad worked for the CIA when she was growing up, and she says they never really knew what he did on a day to day basis. (And no, these aren't questions for you to answer; just this great story making me think aloud. goofy )

Very clever of Lois to give the sewing machine to Clark and have him fix it. Not only does it help Shadbolt out, but it gives Clark something to do with his time. Good thinking, Lois.

I also like your twist on O'Brien and how Lois was able to find him ... fast on-set dementia, huh? Based on the preview and where I'm guessing you're going with it, I think something is finally going to go right for Lois in her bid to get more info out of the higher ups. If O'Brien assumes he knows her and starts talking freely, there's no telling what she might learn!

The ending, with Lois's gut telling her that time is running out, is making me nervous, though. I think this is all going to come to a head soon, and I'm on the edge of my seat!

Kathy

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
oh another fantastic chapter. i'm loving how accepting Lois is - Clark is just perfect for her. Cant' wait to see where else this story is going!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto to all said above. So what will Shadbolt do when he sees Clark fixing his machine? Awesome part and I am looking forward to more. Thanks. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow! What an event-filled part. thumbsup And now we know why Shadbolt was so grumpy!

Can't wait to see what Reuben has to say. hyper

EvelynC
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Awesome part again! Especially the part where Lois accidentally falls asleep in the cell and Clark wakes her up smile1

smile

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What was she wearing? Nightwear? What sort of nightwear?
Hee! I'm so excited she actually went in there and stayed. Again a nice confirmation on her part of the trust she has for Clark. I enjoyed their pillow-talk reminiscing.

But none of that mattered - it had been the best date of her life.

And - she thought with a wry smile - it had finished with her sleeping next to her date.
thumbsup

Love Lois's ability to eek out information from people. She's resourceful in every universe!

That meant he'd been seventy-seven when he'd retired two years ago.
I'm glad you did the math for us b/c I was thinking he was 95. Oops. blush

Very interesting conversation with Shadbolt. Glad to know as much as possible about the people directly involved with Clark's case.

Another nice moment with Lois and her father.

"This man is different from anyone I've ever met," Lois said. She tried to identify the questions her father would ask if he could. "He's kind, and he's caring, and he's strong, and he has such a good heart. Yes, Dad, it did happen quickly, but I know it is right. When I'm with him, I feel like I'm exactly where I'm meant to be. He makes me feel ... secure ... grounded ... happy. When I'm with him, everything is all right even when it's not." She looked into her dad's eyes. "Does that make any sense?"

His eyelids dropped once.

Lois squeezed his hand. "Thank you, Dad," she said. "Thank you for understanding."
thumbsup

No. Deep inside her, the feeling was strong that Clark didn't have much time.
I have a sinking feeling Clark has until chapter 25/25. I'm hoping that Reuben will be a fountain of knowledge.

I can't wait to see where this goes. Excellent as always! It's a snow day around here, so anytime you want to post the next part... just sayin' sloppy

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow, looks like Lois really did manage to dig up the old boss. And I'm with the rest of the gang on the whole fake dementia conspiracy.

He heard a series of shuffling sounds, and a few moments later, the door opened, and Lois walked in - dressed in modest mauve pyjamas and with a few strands of her dark hair endearingly tussled - clutching her pillow and sleeping bag under one arm and her camp mattress under the other.
clap For some reason, I keep picturing Lois to look just like a 10 y/o, dragging her bedding to a sleepover. Adorable.

Plus, we also got more info on Shadbolt. Quite interesting stuff. It also gives a lot of credence to his horror at seeing what he's supposedly done while at this place. After all, he is a single father to two little girls. Those usually don't tend to be axe murderers. Unless they're psychopaths. I did keep halfway expecting that Lois would push the sewing machine into Clark's cell right in front of Shadbolt. Now, *that* would have been fun to watch laugh

"You're asking if I love the man who made the paper airplane?"

Her dad blinked once.

"Yes," she said, her smile irrepressible. "Yes, I do love him, Dad."
Awwww. You really do weave those strands together quite nicely clap

"There are three," she said after a silence of close to a minute.

Lois took out her pen and notepad. "Born in which years?"

"1856, 1878, and 1915."
I wonder if the age differences have any meaning. After all, it could be that he is Reuben O'Brien, the 3rd.

"Thanks." She bent low to gather her bedding and met his eyes. "If I embarrassed you by falling asleep in here, I'm sorry. I did intrude uninvited."
Yeah, I'm sure Clark minds...

He was strong enough that he could do anything to her, and she would be powerless to defend herself.

They were alone - it would be hours before anyone else came.

But he knew that if he queried her trust, she would say that although he *could* hurt her, he never would.
You know, I realized while reading this that an alien prisoner could have a perfectly logical motive to play the docile gentleman. After all, he still has the implant, so he can't leave the cell. Now, if he were to harm Lois, he would be forced to wait until somebody comes, sees the mess, takes a rod, enters the cell, and disciplines him for being a bad boy. So, all things considered, if he befriends the female, she will probably do everything in her power to get the implant out and *then* he's free to do as he pleases. It's the perfect plan, really. evil

Michael, already desperate for more.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I read this as soon as it was posted, but haven't had time to respond until now! This week has been a bit crazy--and it's only Tuesday!! :p (also delaying me sending you more of my story...) But here I am, ready to properly respond!!

It was so cute that they bunked together in the cell... though also sad that they both fear that each moment is all they will have. sad

Had she just helped someone who needed it?

Or had she just done something that - if Shadbolt asked difficult questions - could lead to uncovering her association with Clark?
peep Uh oh... I keep feeling that danger is just around the corner for Clark...

No. Deep inside her, the feeling was strong that Clark didn't have much time.
making the case for my fear even stronger...

Can't wait for the next part! So curious as to what will happen next!

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Short reply ... more later.

It's summer holdiays here, so I've been spending time with my kids. I'll *try* to post part 20 tomorrow morning (24-28 hours from now).

For the remainder of January, posting schedule will probably be 4-5 days between parts.

Thanks!

Corrina.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A tumultuous series of RL-chaos hijacked all my fic-rading time, but I finally had a chance to dive back in, and this is the first story I delved into... and I was seriously hooked right from the start!

This is certainly a very different take on the old, and this new beginning is a wonderfully creative take that has remained remarkably true to the characters we know and love so dearly from the series. Poor Clark's situation as absolutely heart-rending, and yet the way he's managed to maintain all those endearing qualities that make him a true *Superman* is so spot-on believable that I want to cry every time Lois has to leave him alone again. And as for Lois, you've done an awesome job of keeping her hard-bitten professionalism, even in such a different profession, and yet still shielding from the world the soft, tender heart that she's only ever truly been able to share with Clark, no matter the circumstances of their meeting and development of their relationship. Simply brilliantly well-done on all counts!

I'm definitely right there in the ranks of readers anxiously awaiting the next installments! Thanks so much for this brand new take on this timeless love story!

Love and hot fudge,
Bren Ren
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Vicki Menzies will be back. Time passes slowly in my fics (not sure why confused ) but it's only early Thursday afternoon. Menzies read Trask's log book the previous evening.

Joy Glad you liked it!

Kathy

The ending, with Lois's gut telling her that time is running out, is making me nervous, though. I think this is all going to come to a head soon, and I'm on the edge of my seat!
Bridge has less than 40 hours to go. laugh

Bellarase

Clark is just perfect for her.
And Lois is just perfect for him!

Laura

So what will Shadbolt do when he sees Clark fixing his machine?
He won't. Remember when Lois and Clark worked out which parts of the cell were visible from the pet door? Clark is smart enough to stay out of sight when he's working on the sewing machine.

Evelyn

Can't wait to see what Reuben has to say.
It probably wasn't what you were hoping for - sorry!

DW Re Lois falling asleep in the cell. I wanted the date to end with them together. Also, they had already had a night with him in the cell and her in the office - and I like progress!

Emily

I have a sinking feeling Clark has until chapter 25/25.
Are you thinking I'm going to kill him off? wink wink

Ha - you had a snow day, we had a rain day. Still didn't get much writing done, though. That was because of the jigsaw puzzle I was doing with my son. smile

Michael

For some reason, I keep picturing Lois to look just like a 10 y/o, dragging her bedding to a sleepover.
Me, too. smile

The age difference of the Reuben O'Briens didn't mean anything. I thought it was probably a less common name, so I hoped it was realistic that there weren't too many.

It's the perfect plan, really.
Perfect?!? I think that's a horrible plan, Michael. wink

MozartMaid

I keep feeling that danger is just around the corner for Clark...
Really? cool

Bren Hi. Thanks for letting me know you're reading. A new situation, same characters - good description of what fanfic is. smile

Story 3 will be called 'Trail'.

Thanks to my three wonderful BRs - Iolanthe, Deja Vu, and Lynn - for continuing to give such great suggestions and for brainstorming ideas for the title of Story 3.

(Prize for the 'Most Creative' goes to Lynn for her suggestion - 'Potholes')

Thanks also to everyone who is reading and commenting. You make my day!

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I just noticed now that you had added the fdk-fdk. Only 40 hours left in Bridge. Or, is that 32 hours now that Shadbolt's shift is over? Can I repeat my line from the other thread?: The clock is ticking.....

And, "Trail", huh? What, you didn't like my suggestions? haha. So,... does this mean Menzies is hot on their trail? Or are they on Martha's trail? Or something else altogether? (Dont answer that! laugh )

Still looking forward to seeing what Menzies is going to do. Or, do I want to know?

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard