Hello all! I have been working on a new fic and have been lucky enough to have Corrina as my beta, whose work I really admire and I greatly appreciate her help! notworthy I'm trying to SLOW down my process a bit to hopefully give you all a better story! I can't tell you how many parts yet, though I think this will be longer than most of my fics. This first part is relatively short, and is to act more as a teaser, but the subsequent parts will be more substantial. I'm going to post once a week to start, but as my writing progresses, I may do more.

Ok, the premise. This is based VERY loosely on the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith (written by Simon Kinberg). Basically, Clark AND Lois have something to hide. wink

No copyright infringement intended. Story not for profit, just for fun.

~Brazzaville~

Clark asked the barman for a beer. The water here was disgusting, and even if he was invulnerable to it, he still didn't like the idea of drinking water that was light brown. Or dark brown, depending. So he ordered a beer. At least he knew what it would taste like.

He had been sent to the Congo to find a reporter that had gone missing, Lois Lane. The Chief had fallen into the habit of sending him on the most dangerous stories-- probably because Clark always made it out alive. Lois seemed to mean something to Perry, and Clark had been so grateful to get a chance to work at the Daily Planet, he promised to do what he could to find her. The thing was, she had been missing for over two years, and Clark didn't think there was much of a shot of finding a young, white female reporter, out here in the jungle...

Suddenly, the doors of the saloon swung open. A beautiful, petite redhead stepped in, her hair swinging around her waist as she was manhandled by some guys with guns. They could be authorities or they could be thugs. It was a thin line between the two in the Congo.

"Vous-êtes toute seule ?" asked the thug in French. <<Are you alone?>>

"No," she said definitively, though Clark would have guessed otherwise. She had an air about her, of having suffered and fought alone and still prevailed. She was beautiful and strong, and yet, he thought, so vulnerable. She was trying hard for a confident attitude, but she didn’t fool Clark. He could see her looking over the shoulder of the men, hoping for an excuse to get out of there.

Before he knew what was good for him, Clark walked over. "Elle est avec moi," he said in flawless French. <<She's with me.>>

She turned to him, looking at him in shock, but covering it quickly.

Clark rested his hand on the small of her back in a proprietary manner, ushering her out of the bar and down the hall into the room he had rented for the night.

He closed the door behind them and they both listened to see if the thugs intended on following them.

There was no sound, so he reached out his hand to her in greeting and smiled, "Clark."

She took his hand, and he held it just a fraction longer than was necessary. She cleared her throat, but didn’t take her hand away. "Thanks... I’m L... Linda."

Clark wondered what those guys out there had wanted from her. Obviously nothing good, which stirred all kinds of questions in Clark’s mind.

And he was fairly certain she hadn’t given her real name.

But that was okay, for now.

After all, he knew all about keeping secrets, didn't he?

~Later that night~

Lois went with him to the cantina. She had no idea why. It was foolish, reckless, even. She was putting her family at risk. If the gunrunners found out... She had been intimidated into not associating with any Americans, but this guy had saved her from the local authorities. Besides, there was something about him that intrigued her, something that made her feel like she could trust him.

And anyway, he didn't know her real name. He hadn't asked where she was from. He just wanted to spend a little time with her, he'd said. Was there any harm in that?

So, they had a few drinks. It was a clear, beautiful, if hot night. She undid the top of her blouse a bit. She had taken to wearing white when in town, as it was much cooler. In the jungle she had to wear darker clothes, so her targets couldn't see her. She shook her head, trying to erase those images. <<You've had no choice. You’ve had to do what they told you.>>

But tonight, maybe she could pretend things were normal. Just this one time...

A drum band was set up in the cantina. Clark coaxed her to dance after they each had a shot of tequila. She couldn't resist. <<Those eyes... one could drown in eyes like his,>> she thought wistfully as he pulled her on to the makeshift dance floor.

~*~*~*~
Clark was utterly entranced by the woman before him. He hadn't been thinking straight since she had sauntered into the saloon that afternoon, totally at risk, yet utterly poised.

She was magnificent.

He had intended on finding out more about her tonight, but she had barely spoken. She had ordered them drinks and dinner, and spoken enough to let him know she was American. But she didn't seem interested in small talk. She offered no answers, and he asked no questions.

He felt daring. More daring than he had ever felt before with a woman in his arms. He pulled her close, letting the rhythm of the drums drive their dancing. They moved together as one. It was sensual, intoxicating.

She suddenly pulled his face down to hers, her sweet breath warm on his face. "Clark, I don't know who you are. I don't care. But will you make love to me tonight?" she asked, her hips swaying gently with his to the music.

Clark swallowed and tried to think straight. He was completely blown away and had no idea how to react. But he simply couldn't--- could he?

"I don't know. I mean... you don't know anything about me," <<and that's not knowing quite a lot,>> he mentally finished.

"I don't want to know about you. I want... I want to forget. Can you make me forget?" she asked, her eyes two pools of sensual brown, pulling him in to her spell.

She leaned up and suddenly kissed him. The shock of electricity hit them both as they pulled back and looked into each others' eyes. Then, they were kissing again, each trying to get closer to the other. Clark could no longer think rationally. He wanted to be a gentleman, he knew he should step back, step away from her... but he was lost.

And found at once.

"Come on. Back to your place?" she asked.

All Clark could do was nod.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink