Hi, FOLCs.

It feels like it’s been a long year. Right after Thanksgiving, I went in search of my muse – with club in hand. (I’ve been in a foul mood lately.) I found him in a ditch on the side of the road. Apparently, he’s been as lost by RL disruptions as I have.

I towed his truck out of the ditch and got him to the hospital. Once he came to (and he sobered up) we had a long talk. I explained that I was very unhappy at the fall-off in his job performance. He simply shrugged. (Which turned out to be surprisingly satisfying when he winced due to the sprained shoulder.)

I picked up his delivery bag and started rifling through it. He tried to object, but an IV drip and two casts prevented him from interfering. Anyway, I found a dirty, wrinkled short at the bottom of the bag. “What’s this?” I asked.

“Nothin. That came some time ago but you won’t use it.”

That made me mad. “What do you mean? Isn’t that for me to say?”

He shrugged again. (Another wince.) “I know my job,” he replied.

I’d had enough. “I’m taking this.”

He simply looked the other direction. “Suit yourself.”

When I got home and looked at it, I understood why he didn’t deliver it. I went back to the hospital but he was long gone. I stared at the short for three weeks before I gave up and decided to go ahead. He had been right, I couldn’t go with it just as the short. I’ve been chasing my muse all over town for the past few weeks and have managed to liberate a few more parts and a few days ago I actually managed to get (with the help of some strong ale) the master story outline.

So, here it is. This will be the first time I’ve posted a part of a story without having it finished first. That means that the posting schedule will be somewhat inconsistent. I’m going to try for at least one part per week, but we’ll see.

Oh, and one more thing. Usually there is a ficathon this time of year. Part 1 has one thing in common with my previous ficathon stories. Not much, but one key element…

And without further ado…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the Truth Will Set You…
By bobbart -- Bob Bartholomew <bobbart_99@yahoo.com>
Rated: G

Disclaimer: This is a fanfic based on the television show, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. I have no claim on the pre-existing characters whatsoever, nor am I profiting by their use. The new story elements are mine. No infringement is intended by this work.

Time Frame: Season 1 – Barbarians at the Planet

Chapter 1

Clark had an appointment. It was an appointment he wanted to miss, more than anything. But that wasn’t an option. He had to go. Lois had asked. In all the time he’d known Lois Lane, he couldn't remember another occasion that he’d wanted to see her less than he did tonight.

He was still struggling with his feelings after his talk with Lois a few hours ago. After much agonizing, he had decided to tell Lois how he felt. He'd put everything on the line and told her that he was in love with her. Clark had hoped that learning that he had strong feelings for her would cause Lois to think twice about Lex. Maybe she'd even reveal that she had similar feelings for him.

It had been a disaster. All he'd managed to do was learn that she thought of him as nothing more than a friend. The way she delivered the news and the way she seemed ready to turn to Luthor had left him angrier and more hurt than he’d ever imagined. Lois didn't want him. He wasn’t even a consideration. Then to make things even worse, she’d asked him to tell Superman that she wanted to meet. As soon as she made the request, it had seemed obvious to Clark that she planned to say pretty much the same thing to Superman that he’d just said to her.

Clark had spent the afternoon trying to figure out what to do. He had to stop her from going ahead and accepting Luthor’s proposal. But he couldn’t bring himself to lead her on any longer as Superman. Especially not now. Not after he knew the truth about how she viewed him. Finally, he feared that if he went to see her as Superman, and she said what he thought she would, he was likely to lose his temper and say something he would regret later. So here he was at Lois’s door as Clark Kent. He stilled himself for what was to come and knocked.

After a few seconds, the door opened just a crack. Peeking around the edge, Lois asked, “Clark, what are you doing here?”

That would be clear soon enough, so he simply replied, “May I come in?”

Lois hesitated. “Well, I was sort of expecting…”

Clark could feel his spirit sag even further. “Superman, I know. I promise I’ll be quick. You don’t need to worry about me being here when he arrives.”

Lois’s face brightened. “So he’ll be here?”

This was so frustrating. “Yes, you’ll see Superman tonight. May I come in for a moment?”

“Give me a minute,” Lois said as she closed the door.

A few seconds later, she returned and opened the door for Clark to enter. She was wearing a robe. It was clear that she had put it on to cover something else. Clark saw some sheer fabric sticking out at the bottom. She seemed to be wearing some kind of nightgown. Could that be how she was planning to greet Superman? Clark felt a sudden surge of anger but quelled it quickly. It didn’t matter.

Lois looked nervous. “Would you like to sit down?”

“No, I’ll stand. This will be quick,” he replied. “After… this afternoon, I decided that I can’t stay in Metropolis.”

Lois looked surprised. “Clark, it doesn’t have to be that way.”

She sounded sad. For an instant, his hope swelled, but the memory of her earlier words bit at him. “Yes, it does. Lois, the only reason I would stay in Metropolis is… well, you. I had such hopes. I…. Never mind. I guess it was all just a fantasy.”

Clark paused for a second. When he raised his eyes to Lois, all he could see was embarrassment. He took a deep breath and pressed on. “You asked to see Superman tonight. I guess you wanted to find out what he thought about you marrying Luthor?”

After a brief pause, Lois nodded silently and Clark continued. “Whatever else you might do, you shouldn’t marry… him. Lex Luthor is a criminal,” Clark pleaded. “I know you don’t believe me and I can’t prove it, but I know it to be a fact. Since this is the last time you’ll see me, I hope you’ll believe that I have nothing to gain by lying.”

“Clark, you’ve never liked him.” There was a barely hidden edge of anger in her voice.

He stepped closer to look her in the face. “Have you ever thought to ask why that might be?”

They held each other’s gaze for a moment. Clark didn’t see affection or even friendship in her eyes. Lois probably didn’t see any either. After a few seconds, she turned away and directed her reply toward the window. “After today I think it’s pretty obvious that it’s simple jealousy.”

He wanted to scream at her. Instead, he took a moment to calm himself once more. “I’d be lying if I said that wasn’t partly true. Just the same, I’ve seen things that no one else has. Luthor is a criminal and as evil as they come. I pray that you don’t go through with this. However, if you do go ahead and … marry him, I hope you never have to discover what he is. I…”

But the words were no longer there. The hurt and anger in Lois’s eyes was even more fierce than before. Clark could tell that this was it. He’d never have the chance to look into that most perfect face again.

Sure enough, at that second Lois found her voice. “I think you should leave.” Her voice was so cold. It was as if his friend – his love – was no longer there.

Clark looked at the floor. Despite his intent when he came here as Clark, he’d managed to mess things up. But then again, it just didn’t matter any more. As he started for the door Lois asked one final question, “Will Superman be coming by tonight?”

Clark looked up at her. She hadn’t said, “…or are you lying about that too?” but the implication was there.

Clark put his hand on the doorknob and turned to face Lois one last time. “After tonight no one will see Superman again. You see, Superman had the same reason for being in Metropolis that I did. Without that … reason, there is no Superman – just Clark Kent.”

Clark stepped into the hallway and closed the door, and that life, behind him.

TBC