Part 19

"You've received the strangest message, sir," Nigel St. John said hesitantly as he moved to his boss's side. "An Ellen Lane called from ship to shore and has left a message congratulating you on your marriage. Is there something you haven't told me?"

"She obviously has been talking to my fiancé," Lex gloated. "What is Lois' location at the present? More shopping?"

"We have lost her again, sir. It seems that Clark Kent, her former partner, has been borrowing her vehicle the past couple days. He has taken it out of the city to a small resort town up the coast. This makes tracking her very difficult."

"Nigel, my dear servant. This ineffectiveness must cease. One more failure and you may see my angry side. Fire those incompetents, and find some workers who will get the job done."

"Already done, sir, and many apologies for my poor selection of lackeys. Ms. Lane is a very difficult woman to keep track of. On a brighter note, sir, we have been observing Star Labs. Our friend, Clark Kent, paid a visit to the good doctor yesterday. He seems to be popping up everywhere."

"Obviously, Kent's a go-between for Klein and Superman. That do-gooder has gone underground and is going to be difficult to root out. Pay a visit to Mr. Kent. He's been a thorn in my side for too long. Perhaps a little accident will send a message to the Man of Kleenex."

"My new man, Ollie Regor, is already there. I've called in all my old favors in order to find someone who will not fail. I'll contact him right away, sir."

Clark was still awake. The moon was rising, its light casting over the vast expanse of ocean, leaving their little cove in the shadows of the trees along the shore. The diffused light caught the dancing waves as they were swept inland. A westerly breeze was beginning to stir as the cooling effects of the night blew the warmed air out over the water. It was beautiful, but Clark barely noticed anything except his wife who was lying by his side.

Lois was dozing now, or so he thought. She had scooted down, and was now using his lap as a pillow as he stroked her head softly, just like he had done so many times when she'd fallen asleep on his sofa.

The day had been perfect. The ride up the coast had been filled with fun chatter and jokes. The easy banter between them was back, and his hopes for their future had soared when Lois reached for his hand and easily held it for miles. The conversation had ranged from their living arrangements to starting work at the Daily Planet on Monday.

Now in the still of the night, he felt something was missing. Sure, he would have adored making love to Lois on their wedding night, but even if that was in the stars, he couldn't have gone through with it. After talking about Superman earlier that night, Clark began to feel like a hypocrite. During their wedding, they had promised to love, respect, and trust each other. Doctor Klein's questions from yesterday kept coming back to haunt him, and to his dismay, he realized that his friend was right.

If he trusted Lois enough to marry him, then why shouldn't he trust her with all of himself? How could he expect her to love him if he didn't come clean with his secrets? It didn't matter that he was no longer Superman; she had a right to know to whom she had married. Wasn't it enough that she had chosen him? He'd just have to take a chance that this wouldn't change the dynamics of their relationship too much.

There was always the risk of not knowing who Lois was thinking about if, no, when, the time came for them to consummate their marriage. He closed his eyes hopefully and sighed wistfully. Surely dreams came true if you wished upon them hard enough. If only he could be sure that it would be Clark that she was making love to and not just the part of his personality that saved lives.

But they were growing closer; he could feel the energy between them with each word, each glance and touch. He prayed to God for patience and strength not to be impulsive and ask for more than Lois could acknowledge to herself that she could give. If it took months, even years, it would be well worth the wait. But he had hope, lots of hope.

Now with this unresolved issue of Superman hanging over his head, there was no way he could know how this would play out. But loving Lois as he did, she deserved the truth, no matter how it would affect their lives. It should be her choice whether she wanted to be married to an ex-superhero, her choice. He couldn't make it for her, no matter if Superman was never coming back.

Deep in thought, tiny needles began to prick at his leg, and he realized that it had fallen asleep. Grumbling silently, he tried to shift position, slowly as to not wake up Lois.

She patted his leg, and then sat up. "It's okay. I'm still awake."

Clark grimaced at the pain in his leg as he tucked the blanket back around Lois. "Sorry to wake you. Leg fell asleep." She just smiled as she reached for her wine glass.

A slight splash startled them. "Fish are jumping tonight," he observed. "That's the second one I've heard in a couple of minutes."

"Hmmm... It's getting a bit chillier," Lois said, pulling the blanket up to her chest as she scooted nearer to Clark. He responded by grabbing the extra blanket on the seat next to him and spreading it over their legs. A few moments passed without a word.

"You've gotten quiet, Clark," she stated after taking a sip of her wine.

"Do you want to know what Superman is doing now?" he blurted suddenly, having made up his mind.

"I don't know," Lois said slowly. "I have to admit that it bothers me to know that he's out there without his powers. For all we know, he's in trouble and can't get in contact with anyone. Omigod! Clark! I just had a horrible thought! If Luthor has already tried to kill him once, do you think he's ever going to rest until Superman's dead?"

Clark froze. He had known that he was going to have to stay on his toes with his nemesis still on the loose, but he hadn't realized that Luthor might still want to eliminate him. His powers were gone; what more could Luthor want? But it made sense. The man was a ruthless killer and would hunt him down like a weakened prey. This changed practically everything. Lois was directly in the path of Luthor's wrath now, even more so now that they were married. If Luthor found out that Lois had spurned him to marry Superman, then there was no telling what fury that they were up against.

Without his powers, he was at a disadvantage. Luthor already knew how to get his way with money and bribery, and he, as Superman, always had his powers and compassion as his greatest strength. It was not that he considered himself to be a dummy, but that in dealing with the likes of Luthor, who had money to his advantage rather than super powers, he would have to be on his toes and think things through very carefully.

They had already discussed the dangers of facing Luthor while trying to expose him, but this information could enrage him to the point of beyond insanity. He couldn't send Lois off to a safe part of the world; Luthor had the means to hunt down and find her. But until they put the billionaire away forever, he needed to stick by her side and protect her in any way he could. Leaving her in the dark as to his other identity was a recipe for disaster. She had to know what they were up against, and hopefully, putting their two heads together would help keep them alive. That was if she didn't skin him alive first.

"Oh, God, Lois! What have I done?" Clark leaned forward and buried his head in his hands in despair.

"What Clark? What's wrong?" Lois was worried. She had never seen Clark like this before.

"I've made a huge mistake not telling you something very important about myself. I've held this secret back from you because I've wanted you, if you ever could, to love me for who I am, Clark Kent. And now that Superman's gone, I thought it wouldn't matter now that you've married me. I thought that we could start fresh without the baggage of the past rearing its head."

"Clark, what are you talking about? Come on, you can tell me." Lois put her hand his shoulder and began to rub it gently, surprised at the raw emotion Clark was displaying. "This talk is scaring me, but you can tell me what's wrong."

He heaved a sigh and allowed Lois' hand to sooth him for a moment, drawing courage from the touch he craved. Leaning back against the cushions again, he reached for her and gathered her in his arms. "Give me a minute. Let me hold you before I tell you something that could change everything."

Lois felt Clark's heart beat quickly beneath her cheek and a wave of protectiveness, and maybe something more, washed over her. Whatever he had to share, she could take it, right? Whatever was scaring the heck out of Clark couldn't be that bad, not if they faced it together.

"Lois, earlier you were wondering where Superman is now?" He paused for a second to let that question sink in. "Well, he's holding you now at this very moment. Lois, I was Superman."

Her heart skipped a beat. "Come on, Clark. That was a joke. You're just playing with me, right?"

Clark plowed on. "Remember back a couple weeks ago when I was sick? It wasn't a nasty flu. It was Kryptonite poisoning."

Lois remembered. The irony of searching for one man while ignoring his ill alter ego was not lost on her, and it diffused much of the anger that she felt coming on. His hands! They had been bandaged up when she had first visited him.

"The bars of the cage, is that how you hurt your hands? You said the other day that Superman had burned his hands on the Kryptonite cage."

She grabbed his hand, pried it open and looked, really looked, for the first time at the faint pink scars on his palms. Even in the bright moonlight, now spilling onto the cockpit of the boat, she could see that they were not scrape scars. They resembled the bubbly blister scars that you get from gripping something that burns you.

"I guess I tried to justify not telling you because Superman is gone. I don't have any more powers, or excuses."

"I threw myself at you," she said, matter-of-factly as though this was some case that they were discussing. "You told me you loved me, but we couldn't be together. Why Clark?" Clapping her hand over her mouth, she remembered an earlier incident that same day. "You told me you loved me as Clark also, and I rejected you."

Clark sighed, knowing that this was an issue they needed to discuss. "Yeah, I wasn't exactly up to hearing you say those words to Superman when you had just turned me down as Clark."

"No wonder you were so mad at me when I waffled about marrying Lex. He tried to kill you!" Her head was beginning to swirl with the truth. This couldn't be true!

A tiny noise startled Clark. "What was that?" he asked, listening carefully.

"What was what?"

"A noise. Like something is rubbing against the bottom of the boat. I wonder if our anchor slipped, and we're drifting too near the rocks." Clark got off the cushions and peered over the side of the boat, noting that they appeared to be the same distance from the shore as before.

Lois watched the strong back of her husband as he tested the anchor lines from the stern of the boat. Suddenly it hit her. Her husband! She had married Superman and hadn't had a clue! How could she have been fooled by a pair of glasses and a red cape? The same man, yet she hadn't the foggiest idea that the one she'd claimed to be her best friend and the world's beloved super hero were rolled into one.

Clark finished checking the line, then sat down on the seat instead of the cushions, regarding Lois curiously. "Yes, Lois. I was mad at you, but I was also scared to death that you were going to marry someone who was capable of such callous treatment of another living being. I'd understand if you'd want to go back in the morning. This is an awful lot to process. I'm sorry I ruined our getaway."

"I don't know what to say, Clark," she retorted tartly. "Were you just going to forget you ever were Superman? We did have a history together, if you remember. And why couldn't you have told me this before we got married? Was all this just a grand scheme to get me away from Luthor?"

"No!!" His voice was sharp and uncharacteristically harsh. "I married you because I love you and no other reason! Lois, I thought we went through this the other night."

"Seems to me you left out a rather important detail, Clark. Or should I say Superman!"

Clark's shoulders slumped, and feeling defeated, he just nodded. "I'd understand if you wanted to annul our marriage. I lied about who I was to you, Lois. We'll pull anchor in the morning."

Realizing that she needed time to think over things by herself, Lois stood up, removed the boards to the cabin, and picked up her pillow. "I'm going back down in the cabin before I say anything else that I'm going to regret. Let's talk in the morning."

Clark nodded and watched as she disappeared down below. He settled down on cushions once more and curled up on his side, his heart heavy with worry. The night was darkest before the dawn, he mused, closing his eyes. Distracted by his thoughts, he failed to realize that the line that he had recently checked had been deftly cut, and the boat was slowly drifting out to sea.

Clark dreamed that he was flying once again. The air currents in the sky were hurtling him along; the rolling jet stream carrying him, tossing him to and fro, back and forth. A scream pierced through his joy in flight. It was Lois! Lois was in need of rescuing once more.

His eyes flew open, and he found that the boat was pitching wildly in the waves. Morning had broken, and along with it came heavy seas. Drat! He thought this cove was protected from the full force of the ocean.

Sitting up immediately, he looked for the shore and couldn't find it. They were adrift in the middle of the ocean! Another scream came from down below, and he realized he hadn't been dreaming. Lois was in trouble.

"Clark! Get down here quickly! The boat is sinking!"

He jumped over to the doorway and saw the water was beginning to come up over the seats, waking Lois up when the cold water lapped upon the cushion she was lying on.

"The bilge pump! Find the bilge pump!" At Lois confused look, he explained, "It's a long skinny tube with a handle. Do you see it anywhere?"

"I don't have a clue, Clark! In case you haven't noticed, the boat is sinking!"

"Lois, let's not panic. One thing at time."

"Panicking? Who's panicking? I would think you'd remember to put the plug in this thing. I thought this boat looked like a bathtub with a big ugly stick sticking out of it."

Clark tested a foot in the water and grimaced. "Come here, and I'll lift you out of there. The water is freezing; the last thing we need is for you to get hypothermia."

"Don't be ridiculous, it can't be that... Whoa! Never mind," she exclaimed as her foot touched the water. "I'll take you up on that scoop."

Lois lifted her head and looked out the hatch. All she could see were huge white tipped waves and an angry ocean. "Clark! We're not in skinny water anymore. What happened to our cove?"

"If you don't want your feet wet, grab on!"

She placed her arms around Clark's neck, and he effortlessly deposited her into the cockpit.

He pointed to the tiller, then the compass and said, "Keep us pointing at 270 reading on the compass. That's where the shore is."

"May I remind you that this was your idea, not mine! We could've had a nice sunny beach and a hotel room, with hot showers and a continental breakfast, but, NO!! You decide you want to play Gilligan, and now look at where this got us!"

Ignoring her rant, he plunged into the cabin right after giving his orders, and began quickly, but calmly, looking for the bilge pump. Finding a life jacket, he tossed that out to Lois with the instructions to put it on, or at least keep it nearby.

"Just keep us heading toward land until I can start the motor. The waves are pushing us along."

"Omigod, Clark! I just saw lightning! Didn't you check the weather?"

Instead of answering her, the cockpit was suddenly squirted with water out a long hose, but it stopped quickly. Clark picked up the cushions and tossed them down below, then resumed pumping, the water draining out of the boat from the scuppers next to the companionway.

Clark worked steadily, pumping the water out of the hull until he was out of breath. He climbed out of the cabin and immediately went to the back of the boat to start the motor. The engine sputtered, then came to life with a roar just above the waves and the wind.

Puzzled as to why they weren't moving, Clark leaned over the stern of the boat, looking for the telltale swirl of water that indicated the propeller was moving. But there was nothing. He lifted the engine, swinging it upward, and just as he suspected, the prop was missing. This was no freak accident! Someone had deliberately sabotaged the boat and had let them drift out to sea!

Crisply, Clark spoke to Lois as he started taking off the cover of the main sail. "The motor isn't working. We've got to get moving faster to try to outrun this storm. After I get this up, do you think you'll be able handle the boat?"

"I don't know. You were supposed to give me lessons today, remember?"

"You can do it, Lois. Just follow the compass reading. Just like you're doing. The tiller may try to pull you in another direction, but keep us heading towards shore."

Clark pulled on the halyard and partly hoisted the main sail up. "Lois, point the boat into the wind so I can get this all the way up. The wind is catching the sail, so it's practically impossible to get it up in this wind."

The boat was sluggish, not maneuvering very well with all the extra ballast in the hold, but Lois finally got it facing into the wind. Clark quickly pulled the sail up the rest of the way, and then adjusted the main sheet for Lois.

"Head for shore," he ordered breathlessly as he began pumping again. "Water's coming in faster."

The waves were starting to come over the side of the boat after they had hit a particularly high wave. Lois shivered because her clothes were becoming soaked. Clark paused for a moment, then reappeared with a bright yellow foul weather gear jacket with a hood.

"Here! Get this on, Lois!" His eyes met hers in a moment that was free from the frenzy of the situation. His hair was plastered against his head from the spray and the light rain that was beginning to pelt down on them, but there was deep concern in his eyes. She saw his love for her behind his water-splattered glasses, and immediately forgave everything that he had put her through.

Clark turned away and resumed his steady pumping. In spite of the conditions around them, she couldn't keep her eyes off him, and was fascinated to watch him work. This was Superman in front of her now, albeit without powers, but Superman just the same. Although he was getting tired, his muscles moved gracefully beneath the sea-soaked shirt, rivulets of water running down his face. Lois felt wonder and awe come over her at this incredible man's determination to save them.

The boat tipped over a bit more on its side as the wind began gusting with the coming storm. The rain was pelting down on them now, coming in sheets of white. Lois was having a hard time keeping her eye following the compass and now had to use both hands to keep the boat on her course. Lightning danced close by, followed by a loud clap of thunder, which made her jump.

"Clark! I'm getting scared!"

Clark reappeared at the doorway of the cabin out of breath. "The water keeps coming in. There must more than one hole. Can't pump anymore." He shivered from being exposed to the cold rain and even colder wind.

"Clark! Get back here and drive! I'll take over now. You're exhausted!" As he moved into position without protest, Lois stripped off her yellow gear and draped it over his shoulders.

"Lois, you're going to freeze. Keep it on!"

"I'll find something else! Shut up and drive," she said while placing the pump into position. After a few strokes, the cold was unbelievably bone chilling, and she realized she was going to be useless if she didn't try to stay protected from the elements. She didn't know how Clark had lasted so long without weather gear.

A quick rummage around the cabin produced a sweater and a lined windbreaker. Lois stripped her wet shirt off, and quickly donned the dry sweater and jacket. Her feet were practically numb as they sloshed in the six-inch deep water, but her chest was dry.

A violent gust of wind nearly knocked her off her feet as the boat tipped wildly to the side, and she had to steady herself before resuming her desperate task.

Clark was increasingly becoming frustrated and worried. They were barely making any headway due to having to sail almost directly upwind, at times he thought they were sailing backwards. The mainsail was let out to its maximum, yet the side rails were practically in the water. The boat was taking on more water due to the waves, and the scuppers were having a rough time letting the water drain out of cockpit of the boat.

They were sinking.

Something drastic had to be done, or they would never get out of this alive.