Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Laurach Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L I love where this is going. I can't wait for more. Great job continuing this fantastic journey. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting part. I think Lois is most likely able to reach LL in understanding that the real Kal-El may be like Clark and Kent, since she too had suffered under this clone Kal-El. I'm curious if there are possibilities of an eventual relationship between LL and the real Kal-El...

The pace is moving nicely... can't wait to see where you take us next! smile

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Chaos erupted as Herb reappeared with Zara and another Lois Lane.
Wow! This was unexpected! I thought that Herb was just going to bring back Zara. Way to go, L, in introducing another source of drama, confusion, and angst!

I'm sure this Lois (LL, from the Clone-El world) is the most damaged of all the three Loises in that room together. Lane (the Lois from canon) is the least damaged, having never been abused, and having married Kent (Clark from TV canon) in a totally consensual relationship.

Lois (the Lois from "Long Strange Trip" was abused by Clone-El, but has managed to overcome it via therapy and getting to know Clark (the alt-Clark from "LST".)

But LL has never known Clark/Kal-El/Clone-El to be anything but destructive, evil, and sadistic. Even Zara has fond memories of Kal-El as a boy. LL knows only horror.

Zara looked at the two Kryptonian men in the room. Her expression was impassive as she tried to figure out who they were.
I'm sure that Zara, like Lois, has learned very well how to keep a poker face and hide her emotions.

"Or is this some kind of sick Lois Lane zoo you’re trying to form?"
This would be an extremely dangerous pastime. A zoo full of Lois Lanes would be a zoo where you needed to carry a tranquilizer gun at every moment.

"We both landed on earth as very young children - and were adopted by Jonathan and Martha Kent."

LL hissed as she heard the names.

"That seems unlikely," she spat out, knowing how deeply the Kents hated Kryptonians.
That's too bad. One of the cornerstones of the Superman mythos has always been the confidence and love given to Clark by his adoptive parents. What happened to the Kents on this world to make them Kryptonian-haters? Anything specific, or just general hate at Earth being conquered?

"Lois," said Zara. "They don't seem at all like that. I think we should at least hear what they have to say. The fact that the Lois that was trapped in our world isn't opposed to their presence logically indicates that he may be telling the truth."
Interesting that Zara, who has also been abused by Clone-El, is able to look at things somewhat dispassionately. Of course, she knew Kal-El as a youngster, and also, she has the Kryptonian powers which LL lacks. LL must seriously feel powerless in this situation. No wonder she is reacting with anger, probably with a healthy dollop of fear underneath the anger.

LL looked at Lane searchingly. "I'm getting the really repulsive notion that the two of you are together."
This is interesting on so many levels. Firstly, LL (after her experiences) must be appalled at even the suggestion that a Lois could be attracted to a Kal-El. Would that cause LL to examine her own underlying assumptions? Or is LL just sure, deep in her gut, that the Kryptonians are evil? If so, why is she working with Zara? LL must know on some level that now all Kryptonians are evil. Does she reserve her hate for Clone-El? Will she start considering a future where she could stand next to a Kal-El without fear? I can't see her imagining that she herself might someday be able to love a Kal-El. The LST Lois was eventually able to do this, but I think LL Lois might be too damaged. At least right now.

"We're together," said Lois, suddenly standing up and being heard. "And before you go off on me for that let me tell you that unlike her, I've been to your world, I've suffered - I've been as much a victim as you ever were and I will not stand by and let you denigrate me for my choice. Clark’s a good man. They both are.”
This has to be very alarming, stunning, disconcerting, whatever, for LL.

"Thank you," said Kent gently, sensing Zara's fear and aversion. The kind of husband Kal-El had been was fairly obvious to him by her reactions and he wanted to minimize her having to deal with him as much as possible.
But, if as seems likely, they are all going back to the Clone-El world, Zara will have to start working closely with her husband's counterparts. That will be a difficult task. (And a monumental task for LL.)

There was a long silence and then Herb spoke.

"We have reason to believe that Kal-El is actually a clone of the original. The original is still alive... but we have no idea whether he can be revived - we just know he's somewhere... and he's in pain. He’s suffering.”
And there's our task. We have to go and save the suffering Kal-El. Two Clarks and three Loises, plus a Zara. Will the Clarks insist that Herb stay out of it? (I think they will.) The tension amidst the group will be incredible. The Clarks will be worried about their Loises, and saddened at the damage that's been done to LL. Lane will be blithe and confident, and Lois will be incredibly afraid because she knows what they face. LL will remain bitter and suspicious. I think that out of pragmatism she'll work with the Clarks (and Zara might be the deciding vote there) but LL will always be tense around them. Will she trust them enough to let them help her?

Then... I married a clone? I - betrayed my true husband - I committed treason.”

"If he's anything like us," Kent said quickly, "He won't see it as that."

Zara looked at him wildly.

"You're an earth-raised man. You have no idea of our customs and laws -"
Ooh, good point! The Loises have each married an alien, that's true, but an alien who arrived on Earth as a baby and who, culturally, is human. If they rescue Kal-El, he's going to be much more alien than Clark. He won't be evil and vicious like Clone-El, but he certainly will have a different worldview and attitude. Yet one more block in the wall between Kal-El and LL - will they ever be able to have a relationship?

"If you rescue the original Kal-El, can't you overthrow the existing regime?”

"Sure," said LL. "We'll have it done by next week. No problem."
Heh heh heh. Yeah, because coups d'etat are so simple and easy! smile

“Or… they save the real Kal-El,” said Lane, “And he takes the bad regime out of power and things change for the better. I am absolutely positive that he would not condone this kind of treatment of another species.”

“Really?”

“I know two different variations of him that give me that complete confidence.”

“Are you willing to be your life on it? Because you sure as hell seem willing to be mine.”

“Yes,” she said. “I am willing to go into your world and do my part to rescue Kal-El and make your world a better place. Absolutely.”

“Well,” said LL, eying her up and down. “You would make interesting bait.”
Aha! Now Lane will have to go to the other world. And of course Kent will go with her. And Clark will follow Kent, and Lois will follow Clark. Bait, indeed!

Please post more soon! I always love alternative universe fics. As you had Clark say in "Long Strange Trip", "Why did I become like I am and not like him? Could I have been like him if I were raised there?" (or something like that, I forgot the quote.) I can't wait for the exploration of a third and fourth counterpart of the Clarks we know and love!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wow, my mind was already spinning when you announced LL at the beginning of the part but I didn't expect to see her so soon. Plus, she's working with Zara shock And she's still got a *lot* of spunk. She might be bitter and vengeful and damaged, but she certainly is holding it together.

“Well,” said LL, eying her up and down. “You would make interesting bait.”
shock Do dear! Oh dear! Oh dear!

Please, don't leave us hanging too long blush grovel

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard