Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Shadbolt put the rod into the closet while Lois put the bowl on the drainer and dropped the container into the trash. She headed for the stairs.

"Ms Lane?"

She stopped and turned.

"Moyne told me that the alien did speak," Shadbolt said. "In the first few days."

"Why did he stop?"

"Because every time he tried to communicate in any way, they belted him with the rod. By the time I came, he'd stopped trying."

"Thank you," Lois said in a tight, strained voice. She hurried up the stairs before Shadbolt could see the tears that had flooded her eyes.
Thanks!

Corrina.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow, this story is stunning in its quiet ruthlessness of showing us all that Clark has been put through and Lois' growing intolerance of it. I can picture every incident vividly and painfully as Lois.

All of her will to fight had been sapped in the effort to survive.

In getting out of the hell.

She had saved herself.

But she hadn't saved her friend.

Not from death.

Not from what had happened before he had finally released her to the sanctuary of death.

And for that, Lois would never forgive.
And here we see that Lois has a guilty conscious. Was her friend tortured?? All the more reason for her to not be able to stand what's going on with Clark, even knowing nothing about who he is.

So intriguing! Looking forward to the next part!

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
Great part again! You described Lois' feelings towards what Clark has been through and how he experienced everyday things very well smile

Ooh, and Lois has a guilty conscience? I guess we are going to find out what really happened to her and her partner through Lois' nightmares?

Looking forward to the next part smile1
smile

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
oh another amazing chapter!! THANK YOU! And thank you for the frequent updates - they are so very appreciated!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Merriwether
Merriwether
Read parts 3 & 4 today ... still horrified by what Clark has been through, but still completely riveted to this story. From your sneak peak above, I see one of my theories about why Clark doesn't speak was correct, that he was beaten every time he tried. Grrr.

As for Moyne, I'm glad Lois took his key, but obviously he's not going to give up that easily. I think Lois was on the right track when she wondered if Trask encouraged Moyne's sadism -- I bet they were in on it together. The other two agents, I'm hoping she can reach to give herself some allies. But in the meantime, I really hope her self defense skills are good, because I have a feeling things are going to get physical with Moyne. He is clearly one evil man.

So at what point can Lois call up her bosses and let them know what's been going on in the warehouse? Scardino seemed to be willing to consider the possibility that things weren't as Trask had reported; can she gather enough support to get all three of the agents there reassigned? And at the very least, get the conditions improved beyond what she's able to do personally? Or are the higher ups too worried about their rogue agents behaviors coming to light? I'll be interested to see how that all develops.

Kathy

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmm... I wonder if TMTY 2 is going to be from Clark's POV. And if one of the TMTYs is going to be named Crossroads.

He is not human. He is an animal - a dangerous, vile, depraved animal - who knows nothing but brutality and violence.

She put a line through 'depraved', and 'brutality', and 'violence'.

She put three emphatic lines through 'animal'.
Uhm, why did she leave 'vile' in there?

The prisoner's situation was regrettable ... but it wasn't of her making.

She would ensure that he did not escape. She would ensure that he didn't harm any human. She wouldn't allow him to be hurt unnecessarily.

But that was the extent of her responsibilities.
Considering the next paragraphs, I wonder if Lois is first going to care or if it's simple curiosity that's going to get her to watch over Clark past her father's passing.

Yesterday, he had dropped his shorts without thought of being observed. Today, he'd tried to squeeze against the wall to be less visible. What had changed?
I wonder what he's thinking? Clark has had seven years to think. What's he going to make of the change in care? I'm guessing he assumes Trask got kicked out. Otherwise, why should he care? Or did he notice Lois through the one-way mirror and knows he's being watched by a woman?

The prisoner had positioned himself in the beam so that the meagre late afternoon rays fell on his broad and blemished back.

He liked the sun.
That's interesting. And how's the sunlight getting into Clark's room. I know the one-way mirrors need a dark room on the other side, but does that mean he can now see Lois, too? And what will it mean for Clark to have access to sunlight. Will he revert to his basic nature of the 'vile, dangerous beast that is bent on slaughtering and enslaving billions of people'?

She unlocked the door; Longford leant through the doorway, deposited the meal on the floor, and then pushed it with the non-Achilles end of the rod.
Now, see? That's how you feed the Kryptonian. hyper notworthy party

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
First off, I will say that I'm enjoying this story very much. It's a very original premise and has a lot of potential to go a lot of different ways while still allowing for the ultimate finally that folcs will want.

But,(you know there has to be a but every once in a awhile), Kathy brought up the point that has been bugging me.

Lois is in charge. She doesn't trust the three 'agents' who are currently assigned to the prisoner. Why can't/doesn't she change that? Why hasn't she called Daniel and had them reassigned elsewhere?

I imagine there is storyline reasons why you want those agents to still be around, particularly Moyne. But we need a reason why Lois hasn't done anything about them. I understand that Lois isn't operating on her normal level of competance. I get that she has pulled back into herself and just wants to 'phone it in' so to speak. But we also know that Lois can't really do that. We've already seen how she's getting affected by the horrific nature of the situation.

We need a line or two explaining that Lois had talked to Scardino about the guards but was talked into giving them some more time. After all they'd been there for a long time and knew the situation better than she does... supposedly.

She could even make a decision to hang with the group for a while just because she really isn't all that sure of what's she's gotten herself into.

But I think we need to 'see' that mental argument. We need to know why Lois is putting up with these obviously belligerant, disrespectful, and contrary 'employees'.

Looking forward to more.

Tank (who is going to enjoy the moment when Lois takes Moyne down... hard)

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
MozartMaid
quiet ruthlessness
Wonderful! That's what I was aiming for (although I didn't exactly have that very apt description in my mind.) I wanted the readers to understand how bad Clark's situation is, but I didn't want to completely gross everyone out.

DW

I guess we are going to find out what really happened to her and her partner through Lois' nightmares?
Some. But you won't find out the entire story until Lois finds someone she trusts enough to open up to. wink

Bellarase The frequency of the posts is related to how quickly I write. I don't want to start posting 'Bridge' until I have finished writing it, which means I need to spread out the final four parts of 'Junction'.

Kathy

He is clearly one evil man.
I'm glad you got that! wink

I'll address your other point when I reply to Tank because you raise similar issues.

Michael

And if one of the TMTYs is going to be named Crossroads.
Sooooooooo close!

Uhm, why did she leave 'vile' in there?
My oversight. Although, I could see her wielding the marker quite furiously, so it's sort of understandable that she would miss a few words.

That's interesting. And how's the sunlight getting into Clark's room. I know the one-way mirrors need a dark room on the other side, but does that mean he can now see Lois, too?
Here's where I got my info from:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question421.htm

It doesn't specifically say that light could go the other way, but from what it does say, I can't see any reason why the sunlight can't get into the cell.

I think that with Lois's office becoming lighter, the mirror effect would be lessened.

However, Trask had the window lined with lead, so Clark can't use his x-ray vision (when he gets it back) to see through the window.

Then there's the angle factor (he's below) and the fact that Lois's office is probably still not as brightly lit as the cell, so I don't think he would be able to see much.

Unfortunately, I don't have a one-way window/mirror to experiment with, but this seems the most likely scenario to me.

On a slight tangent ( wink ) - the exterior window to Lois's office is perpendicular to the window into the cell. Therefore direct sunlight will only get through both of them for a short time each day.

Tank

I'm going to try to answer your questions without giving too much away.

Firstly, Lois has been in the job for 2 days. When she arrived, she was overwhelmed with how much needed changing. Not even Lois Lane can change everything in two days. (And we all know how much we hate a new boss coming in and immediately demanding huge changes.) Also, this Lois has some issues of her own to deal with.

As the writer, I sort of had the same dilemma - what to deal with first confused

Secondly, Lois will go to Scardino, and she will get the answer she was expecting (which is another reason why she didn't go earlier.)

As I said at the start, my knowledge of secret agencies is zero, but I'm assuming things would be done in a certain way. In this universe, they are done that way wink which Lois would know well.

I discussed something similar to this with one of the BRs, and I really think that the order in which Lois tackles the problems would be highly individual. I can understand readers thinking ...'But why doesn't she just give him a bed? Why doesn't she go to Scardino and demand new assistants? Why doesn't she ask the prisoner if he killed the other assistants?'

They are legitimate questions, but if she fixes everything in 2 days, we don't have a story.

And, after all the damage done to Clark, my feeling is that slow progress will be more likely to be sustained.

And slow progress will lead to the development of trust - on both sides.

I hope that helps.

Thanks to everyone for the FDK.

Corrina.

ETA - Sorry, forgot this point.

Tank said ...

Lois is in charge.
Yes, but there would be a heirarchy of authority. She can't do whatever she wants to. She is answerable to Scardino, who is answerable to someone else.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
"Why are you doing this?" Shadbolt sneered. "He's not human."

"But I am," Lois replied.
I love Lois for this.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yesterday, he had dropped his shorts without thought of being observed. Today, he'd tried to squeeze against the wall to be less visible. What had changed?
Michael and I both had the same idea - Clark knows a woman is here. You say he can't see through the observation window, but there was this:
When they had picked up the bowl and the towel, Lois unlocked the door. "Ready?" she asked.

Longford nodded.

Lois pushed the door away and stood back to allow the men to pass her. Unable to restrain her curiosity, she stepped into the doorway, and her eyes volleyed between the collapsed, turned-away figure of the prisoner in the far corner and her two assistants.

They placed the bowl and towel on the concrete and returned to the door. Lois hustled them forward and closed it quickly. "Everything OK?" she asked.
Even though he's turned-away when she looks at him, I'm thinking he caught a glimpse of her when she opened or shut the door. Or heard her speak. I'm convinced Clark knows there is a woman in the building.

Loving this story. More, please. grovel

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Iolanthe smile Glad you liked it.

Vicki The longer Clark goes with less and less exposure to the K, the more his powers will return. You're right, he heard her. And sensed her, because as we all know, she is his soulmate! laugh

Thanks to both of you for the comments.

Corrina.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard