Chapter Twelve

Jimmy shook his head as he put the phone down. Never in his wildest dreams had he envisioned getting a call from this particular person. But then, he’d never thought much about how technically proficient the man had to be, with all those neat tools he had in his cave. How does he keep them dry? he wondered.

Then he shook off the random thought and dialed the satellite phone again.

“What now?”

“I just got a call from Batman.”

The ‘whoosh’ of air past the phone suddenly halted. “What did he say?”

“Now look, first off I need to tell you that I had no idea he’d planted a tracer program in those CDs. As soon as we fired them up, he could track everything we were doing.”

“I don’t care! What did he say?”

Jimmy sighed. He should have known that CK would be a bit testy. “He said that he’s listening in on our conversations and he’s tracking you by your transmission signal. He thinks you’re about ten to twelve miles south-south-east of Themyscira.”

“Ten to twelve miles, you said?”

“Yes. He suggested that you continue flying low, but to watch your wake as well as your surroundings. That rooster tail you’re kicking up may show you the edge of the cloak.”

He could hear the smile in his friend’s voice. “That’s great, Jim! Thanks.”

“Don’t thank me, thank the Batman.”

“I will. Next time I see him.”

“I’d do it now, Superman. He’s listening in.”

“Oh. You told me that, didn’t you?” He paused, then said, “Thank you, Batman.”

There was no response from the Dark Knight, not that Jimmy had expected one. “So start searching, Superman! Remember, ten to twelve miles to the north-north-west, and watch behind you on the water.”

“Will do, Jim. The charge is getting low on this phone, so I’ll sign off for now.”

“Roger. Let me know when you find her.”

The voice on the other end hardened. “As soon as she’s safe, I’ll let you know.”

Diana stood tall beneath the shade of a palm tree. Beside her stood her armorer, Pallas, and her closest friend, Mala. They listened as all the women of Themyscira who were not occupied with some vital task made their way to the beach. Diana wondered for a moment where Cydippe was, then she dismissed the thought. She was, obviously, doing what she was supposed to be doing, working for the cause.

Nearly all of the new arrivals looked at Diana with surprise on their faces. The heralds who had summoned them had said nothing of what was to transpire here today. They only knew that the late summer sun, not long past mid-day, made the bare sand even hotter. Some had had the forethought to bring skins of water or juice, and they would undoubtedly become the most popular women in the crowd very soon.

Mala leaned close to Diana and muttered, “They do not know what is about to happen, do they?”

Pallas grunted. “I do. And I am not happy about it.”

Mala glanced at Pallas in alarm, but Diana only smiled thinly. “Do not trouble yourself, my friend. This will all be over very soon.”

“No, it will not,” answered Pallas.

“Silence!” hissed Mala. “Speak no treason here!”

Her voice too low for any others to hear, Pallas said, “This is an execution, Mala, not a true Amazonian challenge. Many of our sisters who feel as we do will not look kindly upon a future queen who murders a woman for her man. This will not end well, I fear.”

Diana cut her eyes to her armorer. “The ancient laws and customs allow this challenge. I plow no new ground today.”

“Perhaps not, Princess. But the seeds you sow this day are not the ones you placed in your bag to spread on the ground. Naught but pain and heartache and strife will result from this day’s entertainment.”

“You would betray us?” snarled Mala. “Now that we are so close to our goal?”

“It is no betrayal to speak the truth.”

“The truth as you see it, you-”

“The princess should make the outsider her slave!”

“That would be taking a serpent into her bosom!” hissed Mala.

Pallas turned to Diana. “My Princess, showing mercy to this outsider would go far in gaining public support from those who would otherwise condemn you should you slay her.”

Mala growled low in her throat. “Lois Lane would never submit to being a slave! She would conspire to overthrow or even murder the Princess! Now that we have gone this far, that would be the worst possible outcome!”

Diana lifted her hand and smiled. “Silence now, my friends. Look, here is the queen and her party, come for the show.”

Diana listened as the buzz of conversation dropped away until all she could hear was the surf washing onto the beach and the shuffle of sandals on the sand. Her mother, the queen, stopped at the edge of the impromptu arena, flanked by Chancellor Phillipus and chief historian Mnemosyne. Behind them, surrounded by a dozen guards, stood Lois Lane, wearing a light hooded robe over her clothing. The Princess noted that Lois’ robe was simple homespun cloth, while her own was of the finest silk.

Diana nodded to herself as she noted the guards. They were merely window dressing for the modern ceremony, but according to the ancient traditions, they would surround the fighting ground. Their purpose was to make certain that no aid came to either of the combatants.

Their orders, Diana knew, would be to kill anyone who tried.

But they would not be needed for long. When Pallas had called this an execution, she had not been far off the mark. It was legal, of course, and it was completely within the ancient Amazonian code of laws. The rite had been instituted to prevent intra-tribal conflict over the few males available to them, and according to the historical scrolls Diana had read, the Challenge of the Wiles had been issued fewer than four dozen times over the course of three centuries before falling into disuse. The women of those times had evidently decided that such combats were not the best way to resolve their problems.

But the law, once enacted, had never been eliminated, despite the challenge not having been issued for nearly half a millennia. Diana had read about it long ago and had decided to keep that information in the back of her mind should it ever be to her advantage to issue such a challenge.

She silently congratulated herself on her wisdom and foresight.

All the observers were now silent. The two dozen or so guards – she saw that they were carrying bows as well as spears, which was odd – had encircled the marked-off area and stood at attention. Only the surf and the soft breeze made any sound now. The several thousand Amazons were eerily quiet.

The queen slowly turned her head and gazed about her. After a long moment, she lifted her arms above her head and cried out, “Hear us, Hera! The ancient Challenge of the Wiles has been issued! Two women will enter into combat over a man, and may be better woman survive!”

Gasps and cries of consternation rose up around her. “Silence!” cried the queen. “Women of Themyscira, be silent and listen!”

The noises slowly died away. The queen lowered her arms. “The ancient challenge has been issued. Diana, Princess of Themyscira, has challenged Lois Lane of Metropolis, New Troy, to a trial by combat. The winner will possess the man known as Clark Kent.”

More cries erupted, louder this time. Diana had anticipated that the Amazons would be surprised by the Challenge, but the anger in some of the voices surprised her.

One short older woman stepped onto the fighting grounds. “I am Hellene. I am an artist, not a warrior or a scribe or historian or judge!” The crowd noise subsided. “Yet even I know that an Amazon cannot challenge one who is not an Amazon for a man!” She swung to face Diana. “You! Princess! Are you so weak and lacking in womanhood that you cannot find your own man and you must steal one from an outsider?”

Diana’s nostrils flared. “I would slay you where you stand for that insult, Hellene, had I the opportunity. Perhaps I will come and see you later today.”

“Then you will have the blood of two murders on your hands!”

Mala reached out and grabbed Diana’s elbow. “My princess!” she hissed. “You must control yourself! There will be time enough later to deal with such as she.”

Diana allowed herself to be pulled backwards, and she forced a small smile. “My apologies, Hellene,” she called out. “I spoke out of the anticipation of battle. I meant no threat to you.”

One of Hellene’s companions pulled her out of the rough arena as Hippolyta lifted her arms again. “Hear, all Amazons! A legal challenge has been issued and will take place now! Both combatants will enter the contest grounds.”

Cocky and full of herself, Diana stepped forward and let her hooded robe fall away. After a moment, Lois did the same.

Diana was surprised. Lois’ hair was cropped almost to her skull, and it was a long moment before Diana realized that Lois had planned ahead. There was no way for Lois to be pulled down by her hair, but should Lois get a grip on Diana’s mane, she might be able to strike a blow before Diana could pull free.

Therefore, Diana would not let that happen. It would be embarrassing.

Hippolyta spoke again. “Because of the status of Lois Lane as an outsider, and because she lacks the training and abilities of an Amazon warrior, I will issue the following conditions.”

Conditions? No! Diana could not allow any conditions!

“My queen,” she called out, “no one may set conditions for this contest.”

“On the contrary, my daughter, the royal scribe and the royal historian agree that I may set certain conditions to ensure an equal combat between the challenger and the challenged.”

Thwarted! But no matter. There was little the queen could do to limit the damage Diana would inflict on Lois. “What conditions, my queen?”

“First, you may not use your lasso.”

That one was easy. She detached the lasso from her waist and handed it to Mala. “Done. What else?”

“You may not use your bracelets.”

Diana frowned. She had counted using them to block any kicks or punches Lois might have thrown, but they certainly weren’t necessary. She unfastened them and handed them to Pallas. “Also done. Are we ready now?”

“Your boots?”

“Truly? My boots?”

“They would be useful as weapons on a fallen foe. Remove them.”

Diana sighed. “Very well.” She pulled them off and placed them on the sand beside Pallas.

“You must also remove your tiara.”

Diana shook her head. “It is a symbol of my royal blood. You may not take it from me.”

“I do not take it from you, Princess. No one may do that, not even the queen. But such a device might easily be used as a weapon, or as defensive armor in such a fight as this. I cannot remove you from your office, nor may I negate your heritage, but you may not wear the tiara during this combat.”

Diana hesitated, then nodded. “Very well. I assume that my friend Mala may hold it for me until we are done here?”

“She may, assuming she understands that this conveys no authority upon her, and that the tiara remains yours and yours alone as a symbol of your heritage.”

“She understands this.”

Hippolyta shook her head. “We must hear her say it. Mala? Will you hold the tiara of the Princess of Themyscira, knowing that doing so conveys no authority upon you?”

Mala swallowed, then answered, “Yes. I will hold the tiara of the Princess. And that is all I will do with it.”

Diana removed her tiara and gently handed it to Mala. “Keep this for me. I will want it returned spotless and unused very soon.”

Mala swallowed again. “Yes, my Princess.”

Diana turned and faced the queen. “I have agreed to your conditions, Your Highness. May the combat begin now?”

“There is one more royal condition, Princess. You may not use your power of flight.”

“What? But that power is not mine by use of any device! It belongs to me!”

“And so it cannot be taken away from you. But you may not use it during this contest.”

“I protest in the strongest possible terms!”

Hippolyta continued as if Diana had not spoken. “Should you be detected using your power of flight during this contest, the archers around the arena have orders to shoot you down.”

Gasps from the crowd almost drowned out mutterings of approval. Diana had not counted on such onerous conditions. Without the ability to fly away, she might suffer some real damage from the outsider before killing her, and without her bracelets, she could not deflect the arrows which the guards would certainly send her way were she to go airborne.

Hippolyta called out, “Silence! Hear me, Amazons. The same prohibition stands for Lois Lane. Should she attempt to fly, she also will be shot down.”

Some of the women surrounding the arena laughed. Others just shook their heads and smiled.

Diana did neither. The restriction was a pointed insult. Lois had no power of flight! It was absurd in the extreme!

As was the whispered conversation the queen was now having with Diana’s opponent. She surmised that she herself was the subject, since each of them glanced in her direction during the exchange. And Lois gave the queen a long, meaningful look and nodded in agreement with something the queen had said or asked. Perhaps Hippolyta was telling Lois to surrender and offer herself to be Diana’s slave.

But whatever they spoke of, it would not affect the outcome of the Challenge. Lois would be no one’s slave, Diana knew. She had to die this day.

It was time to begin the combat. “Are you through listing your conditions, my queen?”

Hippolyta lowered her hands and backed up past the border of the arena. “I have stated all the royal conditions.”

“Good. Then let us – ”

“Hang on a minute, Princess,” called Lois. “I have a condition of my own.”

“What? What possible condition could you – ”

“I got a tip that you like to grab your opponent’s clothing and toss them to the ground. So I think we should make this contest a nature-clad fight.”

Nature-clad? What? No! Who had told her –

Then she noticed her younger sister Troia standing next to the queen. Her face was fixed in a disapproving glare aimed directly at her, and she knew where that suggestion had originated.

And her scheming little sister was right. It would be to Diana’s advantage to have those bulky garments Lois wore to use for leverage.

“Lois, are you certain of this?” asked Diana. “Perhaps you would prefer not to die naked.”

“I’d prefer not to die at all today, with or without clothes,” Lois retorted. “But I doubt you’d be interested in a bra-and-panties match, so we’ll just – ”

“A what?”

Lois smiled. “It’s what they call two women professional wrestlers who like to scream and yell and jump around and slam each other to the floor wearing just their underwear. They’re really doing it for the men in the audience, and usually nobody gets hurt badly.”

Diana gritted her teeth. “This is a contest to the death! Do you not know this?”

“Yes, I know. It’s been explained to me too many times to count. Now, I’m gonna strip down to my skin, and if you’re not afraid of me, you’ll do the same thing.”

With that, Lois began removing her baggy shirt and trousers.

Diana saw no way around it. She would have to fight this opponent while nature-clad.

She reached behind her and unfastened the red, white, and blue suit, then pulled it down to her ankles. As she feared, before she could straighten herself, someone behind her whistled suggestively.

She had always hated those dimples.

Lois had finished removing her garments, and she gathered them up and handed them to Troia, the little traitor. Lois rubbed her newly-shorn head and called out, “Come on, Wonder Woman! Turn around and let me see what an Amazon Princess really looks like!”

More laughter sounded, along with a few catcalls. This was not how Diana had envisioned the beginning of this combat. She had been sure that Lois would beg for her life and foreswear all claim on her husband. Diana would then have slain her quickly and mercifully, then feigned mourning her death. Had Lois tried to fight, Diana would have killed her more brutally but still quickly, then saluted her courage.

But this – this taunting was not how she had imagined it!

Diana knew that she was a beautiful woman. There was no argument about that. But as the onlookers laughed and jeered, Lois took several steps toward the middle of the arena and posed as if standing for a portrait or a carving. She turned and flexed her arms and shoulders, then lifted one knee and met it with an elbow, bowing her head to her fist.

The crowd cheered her!

They were cheering Diana’s opponent!

This was a shame not to be borne.

Diana leaped high in the air, intending to land on Lois’ head and break her neck. But an arrow flashed in front of her face as another barely nicked her shin. She barely registered that the spent arrows landed harmlessly in the surf beyond the combat area.

Diana landed awkwardly in the middle of the arena. The crowd had been silenced as suddenly as a bolt of lightning from a clear sky.

Lois took a step closer. “I thought you heard the queen, Princess. If either of us tries to fly, they’re gonna shoot us down. Remember?”

Diana took a menacing step forward, then rocked backward with the force of Lois’ punch to her left eye. Diana had not even seen Lois move! Where had such speed and skill come from?

It had to be a fluke, an accident, and Diana would prove it as soon as she –

Another blow rocked her, this time a punch to the other eye. Diana glared at Lois. “You – you arrogant, foolish cow! You will regret your arrogance!”

Lois grinned and tilted her head to one side. “Happy birthday, Princess.”

“What? What effrontery is this? Today is not my birthday!”

“Really? I thought it was. You wanted me, now you’ve got me. And look, I even took off the gift-wrapping for you.” Lois stepped back and lifted her arms to either side. “Not only that, you’re in your birthday suit too. Happy birthday, Princess!”

The Amazons who heard the exchange laughed, then repeated it to other observers. Laughter spread through the crowd once more – and again, it was at Diana’s expense.

The woman’s tongue insulted Diana simply by existing! She had baited Diana into disrobing in public, she had struck the first two blows between them, and now she taunted a Princess of Themyscira before her subjects! She would die, slowly and painfully and messily, by Diana’s own hands!

But why was this outsider so confident, so fearless? How could she even entertain the thought that she might prevail against Wonder Woman? And where had those punches come from?

Had Diana made a mistake in this challenge?

Both contestants assumed fighting stances. The crowd, suddenly silent, held their collective breath for a moment. Then one of the women – Hellene, thought Diana – called out, “I believe the combat has begun!”

And, indeed, it had.

Superman followed the Dark Knight’s advice and watched his rooster tail. Twice he thought he’d seen anomalies in the water, but both times they’d turned out to be floating debris.

He’d abandoned the spiral pattern and begun flying in fifteen-mile lateral sweeps, moving north by northwest a little on each pass. He felt that time was running out for Lois, but he had no way to get to her any faster than this.

He’d finally remembered the time when he’d been ill with a Kryptonian virus and Lois had called to him mentally. He tried to call to her in his mind each time he changed direction, but he felt nothing except a faint echo of his call. It gave him a tiny bit of encouragement that she was still alive, but that was all he received.

He glanced at the sun at the end of a row and realized that it was well past noon. He had to find Lois soon. He didn’t know why he felt that way, he only knew that it was urgent that he find her.

So he almost missed the mirror image of his wake as he turned.

But this time, out of the corner of his eye, he did notice it. He dove to the level of the waves and passed over the area again, and this time it all but jumped out at him. The quality of the water changed at one point, and he flew directly at it.

He felt a tiny ‘ping’ as he penetrated the cloak, and suddenly there was a surprisingly large island in front of him.

There were a number of stone structures on the south side of the island, but none of them seemed to be occupied except for one with a metal antenna-like structure on its roof. Two women stood inside the open wall, apparently tending a machine of some kind.

It had to be the cloaking generator.

Superman flashed to the side of the building without landing. “Hey!”

Both women jumped as if poked with cattle prods. One of them fell down while the other stumbled and grabbed a chair to keep herself upright. Both stared at him as if he were an invader from Mars.

Another time, it would have been funny.

“Do you know where Lois Lane is?”

Neither woman answered. “Look, all I want to do is find her, okay? Just tell me where she is.”

The one on the floor blinked rapidly without answering, but the one holding the chair pointed toward the east.

“Is she in a building?” No answer. “Is she inside or outside?” Still no answer. “If you don’t tell me where she is, I’m going to break something.”

“No!” burst out the one on the floor. “You are a man! You may not set foot on Themyscira! It is forbidden!”

He floated closer. “Fine. I won’t set foot on the island if you tell me where Lois Lane is. Deal?”

The other woman took a shuddering breath. “I believe – she must be on the beach with the Princess.”

That made no sense to Superman, but if it helped him find Lois he was cool with it. “Okay, they’re on the beach. Which beach?”

“East – I think. Yes, the eastern beach! Everyone who can be spared from their tasks is there now.”

“Great. Thanks!”

He lifted up into the air and headed east. As he looked toward the water’s edge, he saw two women fighting on the sand. Surrounding them appeared to be several thousand other women, all calling out encouragement to one or the other of the fighters. He wondered why he hadn’t heard them before, but then realized that he just hadn’t been listening.

He picked up one shout from one of the spectators, who said, “You are in trouble, Princess!” He looked closer, and sure enough, the combatant with the long dark hair was Wonder Woman. And she looked to be beaten bloody. He wondered who was good enough to do that much damage to the Amazon.

Another Amazon, of course, he chided himself. And – they’re fighting naked?

He forced himself not to look at the body of either woman, sure that Lois would pluck his eyes out if she knew he’d seen Wonder Woman in the nude. The other fighter’s head was all but shorn to the scalp and she seemed to be injured badly as well. That must have been an epic fight, but he was here to find Lois and get her –

Then his jaw almost fell off and hit the sand below him. The other fighter WAS Lois!

Each woman had one fist cocked as if ready to throw a punch.

NO!

He flashed down toward the sand as both women’s arms darted forward.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing