From behind Henderson, the nurse appeared. She gently eased Mayson's hands from Henderson's arm. "You need to rest now, Mayson," she said in a wonderfully soft voice. "I'm sure the Inspector has asked all the necessary questions."

Mayson fell back against the pillow and closed her eyes.

Her mind felt like it had been crushed. Everything that had once been so clear ... so important ... so necessary ... it all slipped away to blissful oblivion.

None of it mattered. Not anymore.

Part 67

Henderson walked out of the hospital room and paused a moment to savour the sanity and normalcy of the corridor. His interview with Mayson had felt like a sandstorm in a desert - murky, disorientating, and very uncomfortable.

Was there *any* reality in what Mayson had concocted?

If there was, it was going to be close to impossible to discern the scraps of truth from the jumbled riot of a broken mind.

Lex Luthor is Superman?

Clark Kent had an affair with Ultra Woman?

Henderson shook his head to try to clear the debris from his mind.

He began slowly walking away. Mayson had lived without considering how her actions would affect others. She had refused to be restricted by ethics or hindered by principles. She'd blatantly shunned honour and flaunted her lack of compassion with something akin to pride.

But what he had just witnessed was sad.

He passed the nurses' station, rounded the corner, and only just avoided ramming into a broad blue chest. "Superman!"

"Inspector Henderson."

Henderson stared into the face of the superhero. There was nothing about his features - not his mouth, nor the shape of his jaw, nor the underlying bone structure - that was reminiscent of Lex Luthor.

Superman sidestepped as if to continue. "Are you intending to visit Ms Drake?" Henderson asked quickly.

"Not visit her," Superman said. "But I wished to enquire about her progress."

"She has regained consciousness," Henderson said. "But she is very confused."

"Have you spoken to her?" Superman asked.

His chest was broad, his shoulders were wide, and his arms were sculpted around hardened muscles. "Yes," Henderson said. "She made some allegations ... mind-boggling allegations ... and I've questioned her, but I can't see anything to substantiate what she claims to be the truth."

"You're not going to continue the investigation?"

"I will continue to try to find the person who planted the bomb in her apartment, but I don't believe that Mayson has anything that will assist in the case."

Superman nodded tightly. "Thank you, Inspector."

As the caped superhero turned and walked away, Henderson studied the powerful build that rippled under the close-fitting spandex.

No amount of science was going to transform Lex Luthor into that!

||_||

Lois slowly scanned the row of windows that lured the colour and freshness of the garden into the room. "Seb," she said excitedly. "This house is incredible. It's so big and yet has so many cute nooks that make it feel just like a cottage. This little room is perfect. It faces north, so in winter, it will catch whatever sun there is ... and with all those windows, and the beautiful garden, and the deciduous trees, it's like a piece of heaven."

Seb grinned, clearly pleased by her excitement. "You like it?" he asked, rather unnecessarily.

"It's amazing. Even though it's empty, its character shines through." Lois gestured to the corner. "I can just see a comfy couch here ... with loads of cushions and a good book ... Can I come and visit?"

Seb leant against the doorjamb, his arms folded casually across his chest and a boyish grin splashed across his face. He looked about as far removed from a Toorak property owner as was possible.

He hadn't responded to her request and the realisation of that, together with the mysterious smile on his face, aroused Lois's suspicions. "What are you going to do with it, Seb?" she asked. "Is this your way of telling me you are moving to Melbourne?"

"No," he said. "I'm hoping to be in Melbourne a lot more, but I can't move here - not for a couple of years."

"I thought you were planning to open a Melbourne shop."

"I was," he said. "But I bought this instead."

"It's lovely," Lois said. "But I can't understand what it could possibly have to do with the vote last night."

"I found this when I was here last week. The owner is a widow who remarried in June and moved in with her new husband. She put this on the market, I loved it from the moment I saw it, the exhibition took care of the deposit, and here we are."

"But isn't there usually a settlement time?"

"Yeah. It's not officially mine for six weeks. They have to do all the legal stuff with title deeds. But I've paid the deposit and signed the contract, and the agent said I could have the keys for an hour - seeing as the place is empty."

"Seb Wilton, Toorak home owner," Lois teased. "But that *still* doesn't explain how this is related to last night's vote."

Seb stared at his thongs-clad feet for a long moment. When he looked up, he shrugged. "You can't leave Melbourne," he said. "Not now."

She nodded in agreement. "I'm not leaving - not yet."

"So, you're gonna need somewhere to live."

Lois felt her mouth drop open. "You're offering me the chance to live here?" she gasped.

"Not offering," Seb said. "I'm *asking* if you would live here - keep an eye on the place for me."

"Seb!" Lois hissed. "I can't afford the rent on a place like this. I couldn't even afford half of it."

"I'm not asking you to pay rent," he said. "I'm asking you to look after my home for a couple of years until - hopefully - Chris and I get married and move in."

"Seb, I couldn't live here rent-free."

"Why not?" he asked, as if it wasn't obvious.

"Because this is an investment, and you'll need a return on it so you can buy that shop when you move to Melbourne."

"Lois, I'm not going to argue with you over money," Seb said firmly. "I'm asking you to move in here. I need someone I trust to look after the home where I hope to live with my wife and bring up our kids."

Tears pushed into Lois's eyes. He'd bought it for her. Sure, he was trying to justify it with talk of the future, but he'd done this for her. "If you're hoping to marry Chris in a couple of years, you don't need a home in Melbourne now," she pointed out.

"No," he said quietly. "But you do."

"I ... I have my unit."

Seb snorted derisively. "With Esmeralda monitoring every sound she hears and broadcasting every move you make?"

"It's not ideal," Lois admitted.

"This is," Seb insisted. "This will give you privacy. The fences are high. The trees are established. The land is big enough that the neighbours aren't on your doorstep." He grinned suddenly. "Do you like the tower?"

Lois laughed as she swallowed down her tears. It was so typical of Seb that he could buy a Toorak mansion and be enthralled most by the tower. "Yes," she said. "I like the tower." She wandered out of the sun-drenched room and into a large area that was wide enough to be a room but seemed to have the function of a corridor. "It's *so* big, Seb. I'm going to feel like I'm rattling around in a castle." He'd followed her, and she turned to him.

"I never said you had to live here alone."

She glanced into his blue eyes. He gazed back steadily. "Are you thinking Chris could live here, too?" Lois asked.

"No, not Chris."

He was saying more than he was saying. "Clark will be in Metropolis," Lois said.

"He can stay here when he's not in Metropolis."

"We're getting married."

"Yeah, Mum told me."

The epiphany hit Lois with the force of a speeding train. He *knew*. Seb *knew*. He knew *everything*.

The roomed tilted crazily, and she groped for the nearest wall. Seb's hands landed on her shoulders, and he steadied her. "Are you OK?" he asked.

She nodded, took a step towards the wall, and propped against it. He *knew*.

Seb slanted his shoulder against the wall in mirror image to her stance. He peered into her face, concern evident in his blue eyes. "Are you OK?"

"You know, don't you?" Lois said quietly.

"You asked me not to know."

"How? How did you work it out?"

"Lois, I know you need a home. I know this is perfect for you for the next few years. I don't want to know anything else."

"How?"

"Lois ..."

"How?"

He took one hand from his jeans pocket and the keys jangled in his palm. He tossed them into the air, caught them, and shot her a look that reminded her of a much younger Seb who knew trouble was looming. "You were supposed to believe that I bought this place for Chris and me, and that you're doing me a favour by looking after it."

"If you thought that story was going to fool me, you should stick to jewellery," Lois advised.

He chuckled sheepishly. "I was never any good at creative writing."

Lois smiled at him with overflowing affection. "I know you know," she said. "You might as well tell me how you know."

"What gave me away?"

"The fact that you knew Clark and I had announced our engagement, and you didn't even congratulate me."

"Would you believe me if I said I was so excited about the house that it slipped my mind?"

"No," Lois said. "The only way it wouldn't be foremost in your thoughts is if you knew that this wedding is little more than public necessity."

He acknowledged that with a slight shrug and an inhibited grin.

"How?" Lois persisted.

"Remember how when I was a kid, Mum tried to get me to read all sorts of books, but I wouldn't?"

"That's right," Lois said, smiling at the memories of the repeated confrontations between mother and son. "Barb bought you dozens of books, but you just weren't interested in anything except 'Hawk Talk' and -" She stopped and gulped as the pieces snapped together. She met Seb's eyes and multiple layers of communication flowed between them. "... and comics," Lois finished.

"I loved comics," Seb said. "I loved reading how the heroes used their powers to fight against the bad guys." His mouth curved to a self-deprecating grin. "I still read them."

"I didn't know."

"We haven't lived together for a long time - and you stir me enough about what I eat and what I wear. It didn't seem smart to give you ammunition about what I read."

Lois studied him as uneasiness crept upon her. "Does my teasing bother you?"

Seb laughed. "Honestly?" he said. "I love it. But you'd obviously forgotten about the comics, and I didn't see the need to remind you."

Lois chuckled with relief and returned to the main thrust of their conversation. "So, when a real-life hero appeared, I guess it was to be expected that you would notice."

"Yeah," Seb said. "From the beginning, I read everything I could about him. I watched the reports on the TV when that moron Trask tried to kill him. And I knew he was getting married the night of the Sydney final."

"And then I came to your shop ..."

"I'm a jeweller, Lois."

"I took off the rings," she exclaimed.

"Most rings leave a tiny ridge."

"You saw it?"

Seb reached across and took her left hand. He lifted it towards the light, and Lois saw the faint indentation - the telltale evidence that she had worn her wedding ring overnight. "I can tell the width of the ring and the fact that it's a little bit too tight," he said. "My guess is that it wasn't professionally fitted."

"It wasn't."

Seb continued. "You'd asked me not to try to work it out, and I didn't. But then Esmeralda said that you'd had a bloke in your unit when Clark was in Metropolis. I know you, Lois. I know you would never ever cheat on Clark. I know how much you'd hate anyone to think you were doing that to the man you love. I know you'd only let them think that if you were protecting something else - something more important to you." He smiled apologetically. "And I work with opal every day ... I couldn't help but notice how much it resembled ... the other stuff."

"Have you told anyone?"

Seb winced as if she had struck him. "Lois," he groaned.

"Sorry," she said quickly. "But I know you are close to your parents, and you've already told me that you don't want to have to choose between Chris and me."

"I don't," he said. His grin returned. "But despite this discussion - which you forced on me - I don't know anything for sure. And that's the way I want it to stay."

"What are you going to do?" Lois asked.

"Buy a house with high fences and a tower," he said simply. "I reckon that should fix most of the problems."

Lois felt a tear break free from her right eye and slide down her cheek. "Seb," she said as she wiped her forearm across her face. "I love you. I'm glad you know -"

"I don't know anything," he cut in. "I don't want to know anything."

"How long?"

"There wasn't a specific moment - the pieces drifted together gradually. At first, it was like a wild, improbable germ of an idea that was fun to imagine because it couldn't possibly be true. You know, like kicking the winning goal for Hawthorn in a grand final. Or taking a specky. Or riding the perfect wave."

"You must have known last week; otherwise, why would you have been looking for a house in Melbourne?"

"If Hawthorn didn't merge, you needed somewhere in Melbourne to live - no secrets there."

"Will you come to my wedding?"

"I'll be there with bells on," Seb said. "And I'm sorry I didn't congratulate you earlier. It's not that I'm not stoked for you - it's just that you're -"

" - already married."

Lois bounced off the wall at the sound of the new voice. Clark walked across the room. When he reached them, he offered his hand to Seb. "I couldn't find my wife," Clark said. "But I didn't need to worry. I know she's safe with you."

Seb was staring at Clark, shock etched on every pore of his face. "H...how much did you hear?"

"Enough."

Seb clawed back some of his composure. "I ... I believe congratulations are in order ... and there's a wedding being planned." He finally noticed Clark's outstretched hand and hurriedly responded.

"There is," Clark said. "But we haven't set a date yet."

"Yes, we have," Lois said. "Grand Final Day."

"In two weeks?" Seb whooped.

"Less than two weeks." Lois smiled at her husband. "You said I could arrange whatever I wanted - so I did. Grand Final morning - before the game. And then, a proper honeymoon, followed by three months in Metropolis."

"Three months?" Clark gasped.

"Browny says he won't let me work here between October and December."

"What about Hawthorn?"

"There's a lot to be done - but we're a team, and the team isn't going to fall over just because one person isn't there."

"You'll return to Melbourne in January?"

Lois nodded. "To work at the Herald Sun, to volunteer at Hawthorn, and to -"

"And to live in your home in Toorak," Seb said. "Three months will give me some time to get it perfect for you - perhaps a coat of paint."

"It's perfect already," Lois said.

"I guess it is," Seb said. He gently punched her arm. "Now that Clark's here."

Lois grinned. "You can't tease me about Clark," she said. "Because I know how infatuated you are with Chris."

Seb didn't argue. "I'd like to give you a wedding present," he said.

"Seb," Lois said. "There's no need. I mean ..." She motioned around the room. "... this is more than enough."

"I think this wedding should be a meeting of your world and Clark's - the Melbourne footy journo and the Metropolis reporter."

"How are we going to do that?" Lois asked.

"By bringing some of Clark's family and friends to Melbourne for the wedding."

"You want to pay for their flights?" Lois gasped. "That's too -"

"It's not too much," Seb said. "You should invite your parents, too."

They wouldn't come - Lois knew that. But she wasn't going to spoil this incredible day with thoughts of them. "Seb, I still say that's too much."

"Lois," Seb said solemnly. "I've always known how lucky I am that you're in my life, but it wasn't until I thought I might lose your friendship over the merger that I realised exactly how much you mean to me. Please, let me do this for you."

Lois smiled and wiped the dampness from her eyes. "Thank you, Seb," she said.

Seb kissed Lois's cheek and then turned to Clark. "I'm sure you already know how special she is," Seb said. "But you should also know that if you ever hurt her, I'll come after you, even though you're S...stronger than me."

Clark grinned. "Will you be my best man at the wedding?"

Shock again coated Seb's face. "You're kidding, right?"

"Nope," Clark said. "I'd like you to be my best man. Would you? Please?"

"I'd love to, mate," Seb said. He grinned. "Do you like the tower? Does it work OK as a ..." His hand made a diving motion.

"It works perfectly," Clark said. "Thanks, *mate*."

||_||

Perry entered the little office and sat on the proffered chair. What was it about these places that made you feel so darned uncomfortable?

From behind her desk, the psychiatrist regarded him over her half-moon spectacles. "I'm Dr Vandenberg. Thank you for coming, Mr White."

"I was surprised at the request," Perry admitted. "I had thought that this would be a family matter."

"Ms Drake's uncle is unavailable, so he suggested I consult with you."

Perry couldn't help wondering if 'unavailable' was a euphemism for 'uncaring'. He nodded.

Dr Vandenberg glanced at her notes. "After a number of sessions with Ms Drake, I don't believe she is ready to resume her normal life."

"You think she needs more time off work?"

"More than that, Mr White. I'm recommending that she be admitted to the Neuroscience Center for further treatment."

"The Neuroscience Center?"

"Ms Drake is very confused. Her memory is returning, but her perception of reality changes daily ... sometimes hourly. Of most concern is that she doesn't seem aware of the disparity of her comprehension."

"She wrote a story making some serious allegations."

"If you are wise, you will dispose of that story in the trash and never think of it again." The psychiatrist closed the file. "I know Ms Drake was a respected journalist, but that person is gone."

"Are you saying you don't think she will ever recover?"

"I'm saying that you shouldn't underestimate the severity of Ms Drake's condition."

"May I see her?" Perry asked.

"For just a few moments," she replied. "Try to talk about something neutral such as the weather or the flowers on the bush outside her window."

"Are there any topics I should avoid?"

Dr Vandenberg sighed. "Many," she said. Ticking them off on her fingers, she listed, "Superman, Lex Luthor, Clark Kent, Ultra Woman, Nigel St John, Charlie, football reporters, libraries, Australia, gas leaks, green rock ..." Having run out of fingers, she lifted her hands in despair. "... and, as of this morning, Dan Scardino."

"Dan?"

"This morning she was convinced that Dan is leaving Australia to come to Metropolis to marry her."

Perry stood from the seat. "Thank you," he said.

"Will you continue to visit her? Once she is at the Neuroscience Center?"

"If you think that will help her."

"It will," the doctor said. "Other than Inspector Henderson, you're the only visitor she's had."

||_||

"Was that a 'yes'?" Lois asked gleefully.

Chris stared back at her, eyes wide as a delighted grin lit her face. "You want *me* to be your bridesmaid?"

"Yes!" Lois said.

"What about your sister?"

"She isn't coming."

Clark put his hand over Lois's and squeezed gently. No one from her family was coming. Lois had tried to pretend that she didn't care, but Clark knew she did.

"I would *love* to be your bridesmaid," Chris said.

"There are two things I should tell you first," Lois said.

"What?"

"It's gonna be on Grand Final morning. But don't worry, it'll be finished long before you need to get to the 'G to cover the game."

"OK," Chris said. "A Grand Final wedding - that sounds like fun. What's the other thing?"

"I choose the colours you wear."

Chris looked at Lois blankly. "Isn't that usually the case?" she said. "That the bride chooses the colour scheme?"

"You'll be wearing brown and gold," Lois informed her.

Their shared laughter pealed around the Hawthorn Social Club. "That's perfect," Chris said.

"Do I have to wear brown and gold, too?" Seb asked with an indolent smile.

"You bet, Mister," Lois informed him.

"What about me?" Clark asked. "What do you want me to wear?"

Lois speared him a playful look that he knew meant she had thought of a response that couldn't be aired publicly. "I haven't decided yet," she said. "But I'm sure we'll think of something."

"I have it," Chris enthused. "Seventies-style brown suit, shiny gold shirt, brown velour bow tie."

Clark subdued his smile enough to attempt a frown. "Being the bridesmaid does not give you the right to humiliate the groom," he said severely.

Chris laughed. "Can I humiliate the best man?" she said with a pointed look at Seb.

Clark's cell rang, and he pulled it from his pocket. It was Perry. "Excuse me," he said as he rose from the table. He walked to a quiet corner and lifted the cell to his ear. "Hi, Perry."

"Hi, Clark. How're you doing?"

Clark grinned. "I'm doing fantastically. I took your advice; Lois and I are getting married."

He heard Perry's rumble of laughter. "When?"

"September 28th."

"Wooohooo! Quick work! Is the wedding in Melbourne?"

"Yup. Will you come? You and Alice?"

"Ah ... I'm not sure, Clark ... I'd have to think about it. The Planet ... you know?"

"If it were possible, I'd love to have you here."

"OK. I'll see what I can arrange."

"Thanks, Chief." Clark paused, not wanting to put a dampener on his elated mood. He had to ask, though. "How's Mayson?"

"That's what I'm calling about," Perry said. "She's not well at all. She's being moved into the Neuroscience Center."

Clark felt the breath whistle through his teeth. "Why?" he asked quietly.

"Because she is so confused about everything. She remembers something and then forgets it again. For a time, she was sure you were dead. Oh, by the way, has Henderson called you?"

"No. Why?"

"Apparently, Mayson was convinced that Superman intended to kill you. Henderson thinks the chances of that having any credibility are close to zero, but he thought you should know."

"Ah ... thanks," Clark said. "Did Bill say why Mayson thought Superman wanted to kill me?"

Perry cleared his throat. "Nothing you need worry about. The point is that Mayson has totally lost all grip on reality. When I visited her, she told me that Ultra Woman is married to Lex Luthor."

"Ultra Woman and Lex Luthor?" Clark gasped. "How did she arrive at *that*?"

"It doesn't matter," Perry said. "Sadly, no one is going to take her seriously for a long time."

It *was* sad that Mayson was in such a bad way. However, it also meant that Ultra Woman's identity was safe - and Clark's overwhelming emotion was relief. "Thanks for letting me know, Chief," he said. "Don't forget ... the wedding is on the 28th."

"I'll see what I can do," Perry said. "Give my congratulations to Lois, and tell her I'm looking forward to meeting her."

"We're having a week's honeymoon, and then we'll be in Metropolis for three months."

"*Both* of you?"

"Both of us. Were you serious about giving her a trial at the Planet?"

"Sure," Perry said.

"Thanks, Chief. See you soon."

Clark hung up and turned back to the table. Seb and Chris were laughing together. Lois had gone. He stepped quickly to them. "Where's Lois?" he asked.

"Don't panic, mate," Seb teased. "She went into the kitchen to talk to Bantam." He put his arm across Chris's shoulder. "Sit down, and drink the coffee you were raving about."

Clark did. But he tuned in his hearing just long enough to catch a few words and assure himself that Lois was OK. When he switched back to normal hearing, Seb and Chris were talking about the house he had bought.

Clark slowly sipped his coffee. The secret of Ultra Woman's identity was safe. On the other hand, for the first time, someone had worked out the truth about Superman's identity. Clark had dreaded it, but now that it had happened, he felt nothing but a sense of peace.

Seb was family. It felt right that he knew.

||_||

Clark landed Lois on the doorstep of his parents' farmhouse. They tapped on the door and entered without waiting for a reply. His parents looked up from where they were eating breakfast.

"Clark!" his mom said. "Lois! How wonderful to see both of you."

After the round of hugs, Clark and Lois sat at the table, and Martha put cups of coffee in front of them.

"How are you?" Jonathan said.

Clark lifted Lois's left hand - resplendent with a brand new 'Sebastian Stone' engagement ring - for them to see. "Lois and I are getting married," he said.

His parents smiled together. "That's wonderful," his mom said. "When? And where?"

"September 28th," Lois replied. "In Melbourne. And we'd both be honoured if you would come."

"To Australia?" Martha said. "Next week?"

"I'm not sure, son," Jonathan said, his eyes glinting with amusement. "I want to get all the new fencing done before winter sets in."

Clark shot from the kitchen, fenced two fields, and returned to the table in less than a second. All three grinned at him. "Did you just do what I think you did?" Lois asked.

He nodded and then looked to his parents. "You'll have to travel the conventional way. If you agree to come, I'll bring your tickets to you."

"*You'll* get the tickets?" Martha said. "No, really, Clark, we can -."

"They're a gift from a friend of mine," Lois said, and Clark could see that she was fighting to keep her disappointment from showing. "My parents and my sister can't come, so it's important to both of us that you are there."

His mom smiled. "Of course we'll be there," she said. "We wouldn't miss it for the world."

||_||

Glossary

Stir - tease.

Take a specky - take a spectacular high mark (catch).