Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Sorry that was a bit of a downer...

Next chapter is "Regaled with Regalia." smile

Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, how traumatic, for both of them. Your point about Loisette growing up in that moment is well taken, and as awful as it is, it's probably best for a queen to recognize that "adventures" can have consequences and that she needs to think of the greater good rather than just of her own desires. But it was a very heartbreaking way to get her to that point, and I worry that it might change her -- and her relationship with Clarkent -- forever.

And for Clarkent, too, it was a horrible ordeal. With his experience as the Black Knight, it wasn't his first time dealing with death and fighting, but I'm sure this one felt a lot more personal to him since he didn't have his armor to protect him and he knew the victim so well. At least it was Gawain who begged him to put Penelope out of her misery ... if he had made that decision himself, I worry that she might not have forgiven him for it.

I'm glad that Dwayne was perceptive enough to protect Clarkent over the horse's death. Can you imagine if the Regent had gotten word of their adventure? I don't think it would have been Clarkent's job that was in danger -- I think the Regent would have found the perfect excuse to lock him up and/or kill him. He'll be safer once Loisette is queen ... assuming, of course, that Alexander doesn't con her into marrying him.

So tomorrow is the Princess's birthday ball, right? I'm eager to see how it goes!

Kathy

D
DW Offline
Columnist
Columnist
D
So tomorrow is the Princess's birthday ball, right? I'm eager to see how it goes!
That is actually one of my other favourite parts - and very interesting indeed!

laugh

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I'm jealous. You write so well!

I felt Loisette's pain as her horse fell to the Garms. And I understood Clarkent's misery as he brought Gawain back to the stable and was prevented from comforting his friend.

I wonder if Loisette will now confess her duplicity to Clarkent. I wonder if he will, instead, discover it on his own. Either way, he's going to feel used by her. And, in truth, he has been, even though she meant no ill to anyone by her deception. It has probably done her a lot of good, in fact, because she's been able to hear and see how the servant class really lives and how they struggle with the social injustice they must face every day.

I've been watching Ken Burns' "Baseball" on video lately, and it has brought home to me just how important Jackie Robinson and Monte Irvin and Satchel Paige were to the black ballplayers of the thirties and forties - indeed, to the entire black population of America. It is no exaggeration to say that this event is one of the defining moments in American history. Robinson's debut with the Dodgers changed baseball forever, and it forced Americans to acknowledge that black people are different from white people only because their skin is darker. In every other facet of life, black people are just like white people and brown people and red people and yellow people - some are more skilled or talented or accomplished or driven than others, but we are all equal under that thin layer of epidermis.

That's what Loisette has learned as she masqueraded as Gawain, whether or not she has yet realized it. This insight will serve her well when she ascends to the throne, and her experiences with Clarkent specifically will help her see all people as people, not as nobles and commoners, rulers and subjects, valuable and non-valuable. So despite the trauma she's going to experience when Clarkent finds out, it will ultimately be worth it. She has the potential to be the most revolutionary ruler in her kingdom's history.

And once again, congratulations on drawing me into a story in which I thought I would have little interest. You've presented a believable world of magic and charm and injustice and greed and heroism and intrigue, and I'm waiting impatiently for the next chapter.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Poor Penny! Poor Loisette! And poor Clarkent!

Then Gawain did something that was both surprising and confusing. He twisted and buried his head in Clarkent’s shirt.
confused strange young man, that. evil But I did hold my breath, waiting for the costume to fall away. And I can't help but think that Loisette is now basically a fully grown Lois and she's always pressing herself against Clarkent and because of the camouflage he's not noticing a thing but something's got to stick.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
D
Deja Vu Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
D
Kathy-- Yeah, it definitely is best for a queen to step back and look at the bigger picture. And it definitely would have been really bad if Alexander had learned about the adventure.

He'll be safer once Loisette is queen ... assuming, of course, that Alexander doesn't con her into marrying him.
Heh heh. Yes, assuming that. :p

Actually, it's the lead-up to the ball...Sorry!

DW-- Hehe. I'm glad you like that part! I've become somewhat fond of it myself.

Terry--
I'm jealous. You write so well!
Awww. Thank you!!

I wonder if Loisette will now confess her duplicity to Clarkent.
Well, the curse of the outfit is that she can't tell. smile

It has probably done her a lot of good, in fact, because she's been able to hear and see how the servant class really lives and how they struggle with the social injustice they must face every day.
That is very true. It is often hard to understand a situation properly from the outside.

That's what Loisette has learned as she masqueraded as Gawain, whether or not she has yet realized it. This insight will serve her well when she ascends to the throne, and her experiences with Clarkent specifically will help her see all people as people, not as nobles and commoners, rulers and subjects, valuable and non-valuable.
Exactly! Walking in someone else's shoes can really help, and it's especially important for big things like racial status and class status.

And once again, congratulations on drawing me into a story in which I thought I would have little interest. You've presented a believable world of magic and charm and injustice and greed and heroism and intrigue, and I'm waiting impatiently for the next chapter.
Hehe. I am glad it is believable! I really did have a lot of fun with it.

Michael-- Poor everyone, eh?
strange young man, that.
Pwahaha. Indeed! The end is drawing nearer and nearer....

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone! Feedback feels like Christmas. laugh

Deja Vu

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard