Lois's eyes met those of her husband. "We go and see Luthor?"

He couldn't see an obvious way forward ... but Lois did seem to have the knack of looking in the right places for answers. "OK," he said. "We visit Luthor."

Lois stepped away from Clark. "My suit is hidden in the bedroom," she said. "Can you get me into it, please?" she asked. "We need to hurry."

He spun around Lois and then spun himself into the Superman suit. Clark picked up Ultra Woman, and together, they flew towards Metropolis.

Part 61

Lex Luthor sat back in his chair and peered at the green rock.

It was beautiful. Intricate. Mystical. Unearthly.

He rotated it slowly, and the sunlight caught the different hues, giving the appearance of movement from within.

As if it had life. A force. Power.

It was easy to believe it had come from a place far away ...

And that it had the power to overcome the strongest man on Earth.

With this little rock in his possession, he had no further need of Drake ... Had that dim-witted woman really believed that a subfloor cavity was the appropriate hideaway for something so priceless? Luthor shook his head in disbelief. Perhaps she had thought that three pairs of shoes would provide adequate camouflage.

With this little rock in his possession, he had no need to fear Superman.

The phone cut across his satisfied smile, and he answered it. "Lex Luthor."

"Pearce. It's in place. One word from you, and I'll activate it by remote control."

"The down payment will be in your account today. The balance will be paid upon her demise."

As Luthor returned the phone, a soft knock sounded. He slipped the green rock into the interior pocket of his jacket. "Enter."

His personal assistant walked in.

"Mrs Cox," Luthor greeted cheerily.

"Superman and Ultra Woman are here. They wish to see you."

To hide his surprise and delight at such a timely happenstance, Luthor reached for his case and took out a long cigar. He lit it before replying. "Did they say what they wanted?" he asked.

"No. Only that they wish to speak with you."

Luthor drew from his cigar and then slowly blew the wafts of smoke into the air. "Send them in," he said.

"Yes, Mr Luthor."

Mrs Cox left the room, and Luthor sprang from the chair. His antagonist had come to him - and on the very day that Luthor had obtained the green rock. He clenched his fist in anticipated triumph.

Ultra Woman's presence was an added bonus. She was female. Luthor knew he possessed a charm that most women found irresistible. The possibilities for advantage were boundless ...

||_||

Mayson tore along the corridor and - with shaking hands - released the three locks into her apartment. Once they were free, she shoved at the door and raced into her bedroom. She wrenched open the closet and stared as her breath rattled through her body.

Her shoes were untouched - precisely aligned exactly as she had left them.

She fell to her knees and swept them aside.

She raised the hatch.

The book was there.

She lifted it from the hole and jerked it open.

It was empty!

The green rock was gone!

Luthor had stolen it!

The book slid from her hands and thudded onto the floor. She continued to stare into the hole as comprehension doused her mind.

Luthor had attempted to entice her away with suggestions of a date to an exotic destination. When that hadn't worked, he'd achieved his objective with the lure of a story.

Mayson moaned in frustration and resentment as she stood. He *must* have arranged for the pipes to be sabotaged. How else could he have known in advance?

And he was so darn smug that he had lied outright about the pipes being tested. It was as if he *wanted* her to know that she had walked right into his trap.

If he had the contacts to do that, this couldn't be his first foray into crime.

Months ago, she'd secured the first ever in-depth interview with Lex Luthor. She'd been elated at having gotten the interview; only now did she realise that she'd missed the real story.

Mayson kicked the book into the hole and slammed the trapdoor shut with a savage swipe.

Luthor would pay.

He would pay for taking something that was hers.

He would pay for thinking she was easy prey.

She didn't have the green rock anymore, but she knew who had instigated the gas leaks.

Perhaps there was a way to use one to reclaim the other.

||_||

Mrs Cox showed Superman and Ultra Woman into Luthor's office.

They walked forward steadily - joined at the hands, their capes swishing in unison.

Luthor fixed his eyes on Superman's face as the distance between them lessened. The alien's expression didn't change. There was no contorting of his features. No sudden onset of pain. No horrified realisation that the hazardous green rock lurked nearby.

Luthor stepped right up to Superman and offered his hand.

The alien slipped from the attachment with his wife and shook hands with Luthor. His grip was firm but restrained.

The alien and the green rock were within touching distance - much closer than Mayson had been to him at the wedding - and there was no discernable effect.

"Superman," Luthor said in businesslike fashion. Either the rock or the superhero was a fake.

"Mr Luthor," Superman said.

"And Ultra Woman." Luthor offered his hand to the woman. Her grip was softer, but her eyes were harder.

And cold.

She didn't like him.

He lifted her hand and dipped his head to kiss her. She jerked her hand from his grasp - and then had the impudence to wipe it on her costume.

Luthor pretended not to notice her snub. "Would you like a drink?" he asked, his eyes drilling into those of the woman. He'd rarely met a woman who was immune to his charm. "Name any vintage, and I will be able to accommodate you from my collection."

"No, thank you," Superman said. "We have come to ask you some questions."

Luthor's eyes didn't move from the woman. "Would *you* like a drink?" he asked in the melodic tones that women loved. He gave her his most potent smile.

To his surprise, her expression darkened. "It has come to our attention that there were cameras hidden in the Lexor honeymoon suite that was provided for us following our wedding," she said.

"Cameras?" Luthor said with feigned astonishment. "There were cameras in your rooms?"

"Yes, there were cameras," she said, clearly not convinced of the legitimacy of his surprise. "Our suspicion is that the Metropolis Star considered honeymoon photos to be due recompense for the cost of the wedding."

"I am truly sorry that happened," Luthor said, his attention not shifting from the woman. "I hope you will accept my sincere apologies and believe me when I assure you that I had no knowledge of this."

Despite the intensity of his gaze, Ultra Woman didn't waver. "No damage was done," she stated. He noticed that she made no comment about whether or not she believed him.

With some difficulty, Luthor dragged his eyes from the woman - he found her poise to be fascinating. Superman stood with his shoulders back and his arms folded. Surely, the green rock *couldn't* be a fake. "Are you interested in ancient weaponry?" Luthor asked.

"I've never really had the need for weapons," Superman replied.

Luthor gestured towards the cabinets that held his historical swords. He placed his cigar in the ashtray and extended his gesture in invitation for them to peruse his collection. Once their attention had swung towards the display, he slipped the green rock from his pocket and opened his palm towards Superman's red cape.

The alien turned - still showing no ill effects - and Luthor quickly thrust his hand into his trousers pocket. With his other hand, he pointed to the nearest weapon. "This sword belonged to a hero of mine, Alexander the Great."

Superman nodded, his face showing nothing more than polite interest.

Luthor felt a spark of anger at the man's insolence. He would pay for thinking that Lex Luthor could be so easily deceived. Luthor swept the sword from the wall and held it towards the couple. With an even quicker movement, Superman unfolded his arms and stepped in front of the woman.

"You looked disproportionately concerned, Superman," Luthor noted.

"I don't like anyone threatening my wife."

"But I'm sure you would always protect her." Luthor stepped forward and placed the tip of the sword on the 'S', right next to the man's heart. Above the weapon, their eyes met. There was no alarm in the other man's eyes. Either he really was the invulnerable alien, or his delusional belief was strong enough that he thought the spandex would save him. With a swift movement, Luthor withdrew the sword a few inches and then plunged it forward.

It felt as if he had attempted to sink it into a slab of steel. The reverberations jarred painfully along the length of his arm. Luthor withdrew the sword, and quickly checked it for damage. It appeared unharmed. He returned it to the cabinet.

"You felt the need to test me," Superman said impassively.

"It's not difficult to dress up in a costume," Luthor replied. "You came to my home uninvited and accused me of serious breaches of privacy. I wanted to be sure of your identity."

"If I had been a human in a suit, you would be facing a charge of murder."

Luthor made an vague gesture with his hand. He picked up his cigar and inhaled on it with careful indifference. Inside however, was the unsettling realisation that he stood toe to toe with an adversary who would not be easily defeated.

This game had begun.

"Any further tests?" Superman asked.

"That will be sufficient for now," Luthor said, matching the alien's cool composure. He gestured towards the door. "I am a busy man, and I have to make a very important call."

The woman took a long moment to respond. Her eyes, once so cold, now burned with anger. "I'm sure our paths will cross in the future," she said.

"I look forward to it," Luthor replied.

They walked from his office, and Mrs Cox stood from her desk.

Luthor edged closer to her. "See to it that the visitors leave the building," he said quietly. She nodded her understanding and slipped a small piece of paper into his hand.

Luthor shut the door and opened the note.

'Ms Drake has called several times. She says it is urgent that she speak with you.'

Luthor returned to his desk. He took the green rock from his pocket and examined it.

What was it?

Mayson Drake had had the real thing at the wedding.

Could she have done something to the green rock to damage it?

Unless ...

Was it possible that *this* green rock was a decoy?

Was Drake that smart?

Where was the *real* piece of green rock that she'd brought to the wedding?

Regardless of the truth, while there remained a chance that a piece of the green rock was in her apartment, he couldn't activate Pearce's deadly bomb.

He was going to have to set up an emergency for Superman. If Superman collapsed when Mayson arrived to report on it, Luthor would know she had the green rock with her. Then, he would have to arrange a mugging.

If Superman was unaffected, Luthor would know the green rock was somewhere else - most likely in her apartment.

Luthor viciously stubbed his cigar into the ashtray - he had no patience for unnecessary complications.

||_||

As soon as they left Luthor's building, Clark picked up Lois and flew into the air. She rubbed his chest through the suit. "I assume he didn't hurt you?"

"Not at all," Clark assured her. "But I didn't like the way he was looking at you."

"He is an evil man," she said, stifling a shiver as she remembered the cruelty embedded in Luthor's eyes. "He's driven, and ruthless, and cold-blooded. If you *had* been an imposter, he would've killed you."

"Do you still think he's the Boss?"

"I'm more sure than ever."

"Smoke particles were found in St John's clothing, and -"

"Let me guess," Lois said. "They were smoke particles from cigars."

Clark nodded. "What are we going to do now?" he asked. "Even if Luthor is the Boss, we don't have enough evidence to print it - and I doubt Mayson is going to accept it as compensation for giving up the 'Ultra Woman is Having an Affair' story."

"Did you see anything in Luthor's office? Anything incriminating?"

"No."

"That's hardly surprising," Lois said. "He hasn't remained undetected this long by being sloppy."

"What are we going to do?" Clark repeated. "I have to give Mayson an answer in just over an hour."

"We're going to keep on attacking," Lois said. "Take me somewhere quiet. We need to think through everything we know about Luthor. The answers are there - we just have to make the connections. Then ... we'll take it to Mayson."

"You are not coming," Clark said firmly.

"I think I should," Lois said. "I think we are better as a team."

Clark looked ready to argue the point further.

"Let's work out what we've got first," Lois said quickly. "Then we'll work out how we are going to deliver it."

||_||

Lois and Clark landed on top of a small mountain that had a generous covering of trees. Clark put his finger to his mouth to indicate for Lois to stay quiet, and he concentrated his hearing. There were sounds of various animals and birds, but no speech - nothing to indicate any human presence.

He nodded to Lois.

"Luthor," she said thoughtfully. She took ten steps away and turned. "He was creepy."

"Yeah."

She stopped pacing long enough to look at her husband. "Do people often feel the need to test you? To prove you really are Superman?"

"No. But if I've just flown in, they don't need a test. We walked into Luthor's office."

"Did it seem to you as if thrusting a sword into a man's chest wasn't a big deal for him?" Lois asked. "Almost as if he's killed before?"

"That's exactly how it seemed to me," Clark replied. "But that isn't evidence."

Lois dismissed that point with a vague hand gesture. "There still has to be a reason why he felt compelled to test you - a reason why he had doubts about whether it was really Superman in the suit."

"I've never been face to face with him before."

"It's not normal behaviour to want to spear someone through the heart with Alexander the Great's sword just because it's the first time you've met," Lois noted dryly.

"No."

"There has to be something else," she insisted. Her pacing continued. "We're missing something. It's right there. I can feel it."

||_||

"Superman and Ultra Woman have gone," Mrs Cox said. "And Ms Drake is on the phone *again*."

"I'll take the call now," Luthor said.

He picked up the phone. "Mayson, my dear," he greeted as if they were old friends.

"You stole the green rock from my apartment." Her animosity crackled through the phone line.

So, she had discovered it was missing. Was she calling him in the hope that her fury at its loss would convince him that he had the real piece? Or did *she* think this piece was real? "You have green rock?" he asked in surprise.

"I *had* the green rock, and you *stole* it," she said, sounding right on the edge of hysteria.

Was this an act? Or was she really as upset as she sounded? With his free hand, Luthor picked up his cell phone. "You sound distraught," he commented.

"Of course I'm distraught," Mayson fired back. "You set me up. You put thousands of lives in danger just to get me out of my apartment and clear the way for you to break in and steal the green rock."

Luthor opened the message menu of his cell phone. "I remember reading a report where Superman confirmed Trask's conclusion that the green rock was his power source," he said. "A report written by you."

"He was lying," she said quickly. "I proved that when I took the green rock to his wedding."

His deductions had been correct. "It was *you* that caused his collapse?" Luthor said, injecting surprised admiration into his tone and expecting that she would lap it up like a cat with cream.

"I know you arranged for the gas pipes to be sabotaged," she said, as if she hadn't even heard his accolade. "They weren't being tested - somebody deliberately damaged them."

"The gas pipes?" he said. "Did you get the story?"

"Oh, I got the story," Mayson said menacingly. "Enough of a story to make the police very interested. Enough of a story to encourage Henderson to look very closely into all of your dealings."

Luthor tapped in the message 'Activate'. "Do you have proof?" he asked. "Henderson tends to be particular about evidence."

"I have contacts. I will get proof, and I will tell Henderson everything I know ... unless you return my property."

Luthor's thumb pressed the 'send' button, and he began to click through his contacts to Pearce. "That sounds like blackmail, Mayson."

"Are you threatening me, Luthor?"

He reached Pearce's number and paused. Drake had to be dealt with ... permanently. But in doing so, he didn't want to surrender his chance to get the real green rock. "I have no need to threaten you, Ms Drake," Luthor said. "You have nothing on me."

"I want that rock back. It's mine!"

An idea bounced into Luthor's brain - a way to prove whether this was an elaborate hoax. "Well, my dear," he stated calmly. "That's going to be problematic."

"Why?"

"I'm using it."

"Using it? What for?"

"It's a piece of alien green rock with the capacity to render Superman powerless. How do you think I'm using it? As a paperweight?"

"You have Superman?" she gasped.

Mayson believed him! She believed in the power of the green rock. Someone - probably the alien - had duped her, but she was too stupid to realise. "Superman and Ultra Woman paid me an unexpected visit."

"And you *captured* him?"

"As you have already surmised, I have the green rock."

Her silence spoke volumes. With a triumphant snigger, Luthor pressed the button and sent the message. "But ... but ... why would you want to capture him?" Mayson said eventually.

"A man with those powers is a danger to the citizens of Metropolis," Luthor said. "This is my city, and I will protect it."

He'd shocked her into silence again.

Luthor chuckled. "You don't seem to believe that tests were ordered on the pipes."

"Superman said it was mindless vandalism."

"You're a reporter, Mayson. If you do a little digging, you will discover the truth about what is really happening here. You will learn who rules this city. I suggest you start with the Council website."

"Why should I believe anything you say?"

"It's your choice, Ms Drake. But if you swallow your pride and follow through with this story despite your distrust of me ... If you turn on your computer and do the research, I can guarantee that you will be on the front page of tomorrow's Daily Planet."

"You're saying there is corruption in the Council?"

On Luthor's cell, the 'new message' symbol appeared. He opened it. 'Done', it read. Luthor smiled. "Good-bye, Mayson," he said.

He replaced the phone before she had the chance to respond.

Then he took the green rock and positioned it on top of a pile of papers.

||_||

"Clark!"

Lois's sharp cry pierced the silence of the lonely hilltop. "What is it?" he asked quickly.

"Luthor is going to kill Mayson!"

"He's going to what?"

"He's going to kill Mayson. I just realised it. His weird behaviour - he must have the green rock. Perhaps Mayson gave it to him. Or he stole it. That's why he needed to test you. Now, he knows the green rock is a fake."

"But *kill* Mayson?"

"He's evil," Lois insisted. "He killed Nigel St John. He'll kill Mayson for tricking him."

"He said he had an important call to make." Fear clawed at Clark's heart. "We're probably too late," he groaned.

Lois leapt into his arms. "We need to get back to Metropolis and find Mayson."

Clark shot into the air. "She'll be in her apartment," he said. "Waiting for Clark."

||_||

Mayson pushed the button to turn on her computer.

There was a flash of light.

And then everything went black.